Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

JackMann posted:

Or at least someone gave it out. It sounds like the other player just gave out an address he knew, and it happened to be the victim's.

That's precisely what happened. Family of the victim said that he didnt even play video games, so he was just some poor hapless guy who was checking his front door because he heard noises.

e: gently caress, what a depressing way to start a new page. Sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I still find it outrageous that the cops apparently just plugged him as he opened the door. Like they're just a natural force, like a fire or a lighting strike, cutting someone down without any evident decision-making. I get that there's probably more to the story, but the way it's being presented is that SWAT are effectively an assassin-on-demand service that you can just dial up and they murder some schlub, no questions asked, they can't be held responsibly for their actions in any way because they're just some mindless force of nature, and the fault lies soley with the prank caller. Who is - don't get me wrong - a piece of poo poo for abusing the system in such a way. But poo poo, that exploit needs to be fixed. And unless there are extremely good reasons why not, some or all of those cops should be in prison.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy saw a bunch of people circling his house and came out with a rifle, prompting the police to immediately shoot him. poo poo's hosed up is all I'm saying.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Literally posted a video of it.

Guy comes out, shields eyes from spotlights and it kinda sorta looks like he's pointing a gun at them I guess?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Oh poo poo, sorry, didn't know there was footage.

Yeah ok that doesn't look like a life or death scenario

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Klaus Kinski posted:

Literally posted a video of it.

Guy comes out, shields eyes from spotlights and it kinda sorta looks like he's pointing a gun at them I guess?

Considering they're all keyed up given the report from the 911 call, the cops are also predisposed to see everything as a highly dangerous situation.

I'm NOT condoning what the cops did, but I can see how the confluence of events ended as they did. I will say the cops don't appear to be doubling down on "he was reaching for a weapon" and have already released their footage. I have a feeling the city (whatever level it was) is going to be settling a large wrongful death suit in the future at the very least.

I'm on the fence regarding criminal charges for the cops, and given the circumstances I'm not sure any would pass a legal challenge. At the very least I expect the police department/city to accept and not challenge their culpability for any tort brought against them as a group. What I HOPE happens is better training and techniques so SWATting isn't so god drat successful all the time. Right now this poo poo is too god drat easy. I'd also like to see SWAT teams to ramp down from being a de facto domestic military and be trained better at conflict resolution.

As for the guy that set this in motion, I hope he gets hammered as hard as he can legally. He appears to be a serial offender when it comes to SWATting and fake bomb threats. I get that his INTENT was harassment not death, but he's probably the most culpable in setting all this up. At the very least I'd expect manslaughter if not felony murder and possibly conspiracy charges.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope the family sues him as well as the police.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I want to know (and I'm sure this info is in there somewhere but ehh) is, what prompts the cops to immediately assume the call is legit and they have cause to send the SWAT team all loaded for bear? What are they expecting to find there? Don't they need some other piece of the puzzle, like an ongoing case or probable cause or ... something?

"Uh hello 911, I have reason to believe that the people at 123 Fake St are having a gay satanic orgy right now and they're about to start doing human sacrifices if you don't go there and bust down the door right now"

What ever happened to the lazy cops with their invisible typewriter

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
gotta spend the budget one way or another

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well when it comes to people in dangerous situations like a hostage situation the police need to take it seriously and there may not be a history (documented anyways) in a huge database like we have for sperm (apparently everyones is in the database and all crime scenes are covered in it). I agree though there needs to be more passive ways to determine whats going on, like maybe one of the SWAT guys looking through his sniper scope could move it away from the headshot hes lining up and see what else is going on in the room or whatever.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Proteus Jones posted:

[...]

I'm on the fence regarding criminal charges for the cops, and given the circumstances I'm not sure any would pass a legal challenge. At the very least I expect the police department/city to accept and not challenge their culpability for any tort brought against them as a group. What I HOPE happens is better training and techniques so SWATting isn't so god drat successful all the time. Right now this poo poo is too god drat easy. I'd also like to see SWAT teams to ramp down from being a de facto domestic military and be trained better at conflict resolution.

[...]

They drove to a random guys house and murdered him. The cops in Rios favelas are more discerning than that.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dr Sun Try posted:

They drove to a random guys house and murdered him. The cops in Rios favelas are more discerning than that.

The cops are loving awful, and failed at multiple levels, but this statement is ludicrous. From the SWAT team’s point of view, they were being sent somewhere specific, to deal with an active situation. They didn’t just go ‘Hey Ricky, let’s go drive around until Wheezer plays on the radio then kill the first guy that comes to the door.’

Areas the cops absolutely failed in:
1. Source assessment
2. Situation assessment
3. Tactical response
4. Lethality response
5. Conflict resolution techniques

Areas cops did not fail in:
1. Going to an address they were given

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I get the SWAT team's POV, but going somewhere all wound up expecting violence is precisely WHY they ended up shooting him nearly on-sight. It's pretty much their specialty.

This isn't a new problem with SWAT teams, it's why black people talk about how white folks often use the police as their own personal security force. A white person will call in an issue regarding a black neighbor, SWAT rolls in to an 'active' situation that doesn't exist, shoots someone, rolls away and says WE THOUGHT IT WAS DANGEROUS.

There's a reason SWAT teams have a reputation as incompetent and trigger happy. Because largely, they are. White people just didn't care as much about it when it wasn't as clear this dangerous government tool could be used against anyone.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Dec 30, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guys, I don't think you understand just how dangerous a police officer's job is. I mean, it's almost as dangerous as being a roofer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr Sun Try posted:

Don't be disingenuous, they went to the address as a direct result of a 911 dispatch reporting a murder and hostage situation.

Did they overreact to a point that led to the death of one of the people at that house? Of course they did. They came loaded for bear, and their mindset was already in "crisis mode". In a hostage situation the person answering the door is likely the perpetrator. With an armed captor and murder being reported, they are already on edge. I'm not saying any of it was justified, but I can understand how the chain of events unfolded.

The biggest issue is there's no way to vet a spurious 911 call, but I'm at a loss as to how you would discern between a legitimate situation and fraud. Of hand I thought of "well if it's not coming from a local exchange" but I'm not sure how easy this is to implement. As it stands I don't think 911 dispatch can make any kind of judgement calls when an active and potentially lethal situation is reported.

Which leads in to the second point, that briefly mentioned. Insufficient training in conflict assessment and resolution. SWAT teams are typically armored and are are, as I said, de facto domestic military (which is ANOTHER issue that I think is VERY much out of control). I find it hard to believe that a confused man had anything that could mortally threaten them. Yes, they're keyed up and the person they're expecting to confront is armed, has hostages, and killed at least one person. My biggest issue is they used a vastly disproportionate amount of force --they are non-lethals that can be operated at the same distance as most of the firearms they deploy at close range.

All of this is to say, did they do wrong? Yes they did, and should rightfully lose any wrongful death suit brought against them. But were they criminally wrong? I'm not sure that's a clear cut, and as I said I don't think it would survive prosecution.

EDIT: Let me clear, I personally think they are criminally culpable, but the way the justice system and laws are set up, police in situations like this get broad immunity status. That's why I'm saying it probably come to nothing in terms of criminal charges against the cop that shot him.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Dec 30, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Data Graham posted:

What I want to know (and I'm sure this info is in there somewhere but ehh) is, what prompts the cops to immediately assume the call is legit and they have cause to send the SWAT team all loaded for bear? What are they expecting to find there? Don't they need some other piece of the puzzle, like an ongoing case or probable cause or ... something?

"Uh hello 911, I have reason to believe that the people at 123 Fake St are having a gay satanic orgy right now and they're about to start doing human sacrifices if you don't go there and bust down the door right now"

What ever happened to the lazy cops with their invisible typewriter
They want to murder people, op

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Part of their job is to be able to accurately regard and register the relative danger of situations quickly and act in kind with proper force.

It's literally what they're charged with doing as a career, they accept money for it, and feed their families with that money.

If they fail at that badly enough to accidentally murder someone because they didn't accurately asses the situation and acted out of fear, that's criminally negligent.

If they are shown time & time again as being unable to accurately asses the situation, they should be removed from service, and held responsible (possibly with jail time) for taking a job which was above their skill level, resulting in deaths.

If you have a job which requires pointing a gun at the populace, the burden and onus of death is on you. If you don't step down or get training when under- or unqualified, the trail of carnage is one's own fault and own responsibility.

If someone can't be honest enough with themselves about if they can really handle the task at hand (such as the high pressure policing of SWAT teams), and fucks up because of it, we should not all have to bear with it and be patient.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Dec 30, 2017

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

StrangersInTheNight posted:

If you have a job which requires pointing a gun at the populace,

it's weird to me that you would write all that and decide that the problem is with individual cops and not the institution of policing. why are you starting with a premise that a job that requires pointing a gun at people is necessary at all? maybe we don't need people to have that job. the fact that policing is considered to require shooting people is the reason cops are so poo poo all the time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

If a fast-food worker gets my order wrong, the entire industry should be punished with low wages.

If a cop kills someone by mistake, we should push a movement that deifies them.

This is fair and balanced.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anime_Ladies.html posted:

i have an extension that isn't adblock; it instead identifies and marks ads, with a focus on being able to identify ads dressed up as native content.

It marks that video as being an ad for something, which i find funny.

I don't really use a ton of extensions or apps besides ublock so I honestly didn't know what you had that was making the video do that, thanks for the info.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Guys, I don't think you understand just how dangerous a police officer's job is. I mean, it's almost as dangerous as being a roofer.

Hey, you don't know, that entire driveway might've been concealing a knife.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, you don't know, that entire driveway might've been concealing a knife.

Perhaps they could use a video lesson in SURVIVING EDGED WEAPONS.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

*kid getting punchedkicked gif*

XYZ has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Dec 30, 2017

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What wait hold up didn't he get kicked? We need to get to the bottom of this Weathermaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Cernovich's dumb leaving social media stunt lasted 8 hours and we're all dumb for believing him and talking about it.

I'm dumb.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nobody believed him

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Pull up thread!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pull up thread!

[muffled "Space Oddity" playing from behind locked cockpit door]

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It'd be wrong to be single out Cernovich for his watery eyes and unexpected lisp, but thankfully he has provided a hundred genuine reasons to mock him. He probably thought he was Han Solo over the death star when he changed his mind. His ex-wife sounds really interesting and I wonder the status is on that Schumer smear forgery.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

`Nemesis posted:

Cernovich's dumb leaving social media stunt lasted 8 hours and we're all dumb for believing him and talking about it.

I'm dumb.

Haha. Did he really break that quickly? We all knew he would be back, but he didn’t even last a single workday?

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
He got money and attention, so he won.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

zidane13 posted:

He got money and attention, so he won.

Naw man, hes still himself. The worst possible outcome.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Hihohe posted:

Naw man, hes still himself. The worst possible outcome.

He's still a stupid lisping motherfucker who lives off his ex-wife's dime pressing the idea of masculinity that he can't even follow while pretending that playing petty and childish games online is somehow owning people. Yeah, his punishment is himself.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
He gets to apparently use his ex-wifes house whenever he wants, gets paid by her, gets to say whatever he wants and people make a big deal out of him. He's won. Calling him out for a lisp? That makes you the bad person. Not defending him, but dang. He's got it good.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Your not listening man. Hes still Michael Cernovich. He could take all that stuff and stop being Michael Cernovich but he doesnt. Hes still a lispy manbaby. I dont want to be Michael Cernovich.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why would you stop being someone who makes money and fame easily? Nigga just made 50k with 30 days to go and I'm worrying about 4 failing tires and a car that won't start and I can't afford to fix. Ughhh death come ye so soon, please.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ijzer posted:

it's weird to me that you would write all that and decide that the problem is with individual cops and not the institution of policing. why are you starting with a premise that a job that requires pointing a gun at people is necessary at all? maybe we don't need people to have that job. the fact that policing is considered to require shooting people is the reason cops are so poo poo all the time.

SWAT teams or some analogous service are a necessary aspect of law enforcement and are used to respond to situations like the one that was reported even in countries with sane attitudes towards guns and violence. There are deep, fundamental flaws in a system that produces outcomes like the one we witnessed here and then denies any wrongdoing, but the job they do needs to be done (just done better).

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

zidane13 posted:

Why would you stop being someone who makes money and fame easily? Nigga just made 50k with 30 days to go and I'm worrying about 4 failing tires and a car that won't start and I can't afford to fix. Ughhh death come ye so soon, please.

Well I suppose nothing is stopping you from becoming a giant moron and yelling about feminism while getting dunked on all the time. Go hog wild.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

SWAT teams or some analogous service are a necessary aspect of law enforcement and are used to respond to situations like the one that was reported even in countries with sane attitudes towards guns and violence. There are deep, fundamental flaws in a system that produces outcomes like the one we witnessed here and then denies any wrongdoing, but the job they do needs to be done (just done better).

SWAT before dicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQYbttJiOl0

or full of dicks, whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWAqkTHCM9c

let's hose down the entire barrio with an AR for one suspect

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I would be okay with the cop who murdered an innocent man getting a life sentence. If not that, death penalty.