Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Dolphin posted:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/msg/4143411082.html
Worth it? It's 45 minutes from me. Kinda looks like a steal to me but I'm new to basses.

I saw that pop up and was so incredibly tempted. If there's nothing wrong with it beyond usual wear and tear jump on it. Used they 're usually much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Thats a great deal, assuming there's nothing else wrong with it. Hey since you guys are in the west michigan area, I am selling this Ampeg SVT-410HE, as well as a Epiphone SG bass for $100 since that sounds to be in your price point

http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/msg/4142159708.html

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 23, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CisSTAR 19 posted:

How often do you guys use compressors? Do you have them all the time (or throughout certain songs) to make your sound punchier?

I can't get used to them myself. I'm sure it sounds better in a mix, but it makes me feel like I'm listening to my bass through earmuffs.

I use a limiter whenever I use my envelope filter to help with the resonant peaks, but other than that I never really use compression in my setup.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

So I started playing bass two days ago (:toot:) and I'm working with Bass Method. Do you guys recommend using three fingers (1,2 and 4) for three frets, or four fingers across four frets, like Flea does in his instructional video (he recommends playing scales like this to improve finger strength and dexterity)? My hands are big enough to stretch across four frets, so I guess I am wondering if the "1-2-4 system" mention in Bass Method is just a stepping stone to playing four-fingered.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

My teacher that's taking me through the same book told me to use all four fingers, because the 1-2-4 system is a relic of stand up basses.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
One finger per fret for me. That's probably the only part of the Hal Leonard Bass Method that I don't agree with. Maybe it uses that style because it is intended for total beginners.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

...Maple. Yep.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Further on in the Bass Method book it goes into 1 finger per fret, just fyi.

I personally shift between the two occasionally during my playing, although am biased to using 1-2-3-4 most of the time. It happens automatically, generally switching to the 1-2-4 on lines where I'm not hitting the chord triad. As a beginner you might find 1-2-4 to be helpful in improving pinky strength.

Regardless of what anyone says though, you should always try to play the way that makes you comfortable.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Thanks for all the input. 1-2-3-4 feels most comfortable to me, so I'll stick to it. I can see how 1-2-4 makes sense though, especially with regard to pinky strength (and not everyone having huge hands).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I find that practicing 1-2-3-4 on the fretboard is better to build up strength but start at the higher frets, say around 7, 8 or 9. If you theoretically mainly practice on the very spaced frets you can injure yourself if you don't try and pace your practice sessions.

This is only my opinion based on what i've read and seen around the net and so on, some guys here know their stuff so don't take my advice for gold.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Using your pinky or third finger for the octave is another can of worms.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pocket Billiards posted:

Using your pinky or third finger for the octave is another can of worms.

Yeah I was going to ask about that. I started doing that with my pinky when I picked up the bass, and now I sometimes do it on guitar too :shobon:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Katana Gomai posted:

Thanks for all the input. 1-2-3-4 feels most comfortable to me, so I'll stick to it. I can see how 1-2-4 makes sense though, especially with regard to pinky strength (and not everyone having huge hands).

A good teacher will tell you this too, but incase you are flying solo: when starting out with 1-2-3-4, don't forget your thumb! Beginners sometimes develop a habit where they put counter-pressure on the neck with their thumb while fretting. This can cause fatigue and pain for your whole fretting hand, so don't lose focus on your thumb, keep it relaxed and light.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Thanks for the advice, I am 'flying solo' and I already noticed how much focus I have to put on my thumb to keep it loose. I think I'm getting the hang of it though.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Katana Gomai posted:

Thanks for the advice, I am 'flying solo' and I already noticed how much focus I have to put on my thumb to keep it loose. I think I'm getting the hang of it though.

Good, be patient with it and it will come. You might also try fretting without even touching the neck with your thumb, to check if your fretting fingers are putting down proper tension. Heavy thumb (in my experience) is caused by heavy fretting, so by fretting without the thumb on the neck, you can get a feel for how hard your fingers are pressing down on the strings. Without the thumb in place, heavy fretting will send the neck backwards towards you. To address this, try practicing a lighter touch with just the fretting fingers and no thumb, and later reintroduce the thumb. Try this with exercises (like the spider exercise in the OP, or the first set of exercises in Bass Fitness).

Other causes of thumb tension could be lack of stretches before playing, or lack of warmup (or both).

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

RetardedRobots posted:

That is a nice set up for shaking the poo poo out of the neighbor's house. I'm possibly looking for a 2x10 with a little more handling power than my SVT210AV, can you tell us a bit about the Avatar?

I'll fess up and admit I didn't read all of the pages of this thread, so you guys might have already gotten the full sermon about Avatar. If not (and since there are probably other thread newbies like me) I'll give you the short version.

Avatar (http://www.avatarspeakers.com/) is a small (used to be a one-man shop, not sure if that's still true) outfit in Idaho. One of those places where you call and you'll probably get Dave, the owner. Since it's all custom work you can have a lot of choices in what you get from him and the prices are pretty bare since it's all "factory direct" and he doesn't go through the usual retail distribution chain bullshit. He's definitely raised his prices a few times over the years, but it's still quite reasonable.

They're also built as well or better than just about any cab maker out there. I purchased that 2x10 after my previous rig was stolen around 2004 and haven't regretted it for a single moment. In almost ten years of gigging and thousands of hours of playing it's never once had the slightest issue and still feels as completely solid as the day I bought it - nothing rattles, no damage to any of the components, etc. I also play 5 string exclusively, all the way down to a low Bb, and the 2x10 handles it admirably. Put it this way, in the near-decade I've had it I've replaced just about every other component of my setup, sometimes many times, but the 2x10 has never left and probably never will.

In fact, I would love nothing more than to replace that Ampeg 15 with an Avatar 2x12. One'a these days.

Since mine is old it's the Eminence Deltalite neodymium drivers. 44 pounds, 8 ohms, all delicious.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Just saw this beauty on CL: http://westslope.craigslist.org/msg/4139068954.html

quote:

It has original artwork and is called the "Mmmmooovelle".

:wtc:

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

aunt jemima posted:

...words...

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I bet it has a real beefy tone :suicide:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Seventh Arrow posted:

I bet it has a real beefy tone :suicide:

Lots of low end

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you don't want to get naked with that bass and crank out beefy lines then you're full of poo poo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you don't want to get naked with that bass and crank out beefy lines then you're full of poo poo.

Udderly full of poo poo.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone here play a Hofner?

Nobody, eh?

:saddowns:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Goondolences.

As consolation, here's Chris Wood performing probably the funkiest bassline ever performed on a Hofner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyHqJ4U1UE

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Love it. Hofners rule.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Self-quoting:

aunt jemima posted:

In fact, I would love nothing more than to replace that Ampeg 15 with an Avatar 2x12. One'a these days.

That day is today. Should be here Friday or Monday. :woop:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are Hofners as hard to play sitting down as I've always expected?

LordPants posted:

Udderly full of poo poo.

Alright now you're just milking it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alright now you're just milking it.

Cud we stop ruminating on that bass and moove on?

(Actually I want to see some full-on Minotaur-headed metal bassist rocking that on stage)

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
Just FYI, 1-2-4 has its uses when playing pentatonic riffs (across two frets) and more often than not you'll see great players doing it that way. You just don't get the same movement and sound with 1-2-3-4.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

cactuscarpet posted:

Just FYI, 1-2-4 has its uses when playing pentatonic riffs (across two frets) and more often than not you'll see great players doing it that way. You just don't get the same movement and sound with 1-2-3-4.

I'm not saying I don't buy that, but, I don't buy it. You've got 4 fingers, why not use them all to your advantage and open yourself up to a huge chunk of new options. That's just how I've always approached instruments. I also don't see how using one less finger could affect your sound. Anyway I'm not just trying to be a jerk, I'd love to hear someone expand on the topic.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

cactuscarpet posted:

Can you give an example? I've only ever use 1 finger per fret for pentatonic riffs unless there's some compelling reason to change position.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Not related to the pentatonic playing specifically, but I want to elaborate more on what I said earlier when I said I use both 1 finger per fret (1FPF) and 1-2-4: as another poster stated, it DOES come from standup bass playing, specifically from the Simandl method. I definitely wouldn't call it a relic though. The technique (sort of) divides the fretboard in two, where 1-2-4 is used for the lower register, huge frets, and 1FPF is used for higher frets (although if the line doesn't require a 4 finger system, I'll occasionally use 1-2-4 on high notes too). I like this a lot because it keeps my hand in a natural rest shape on the lower frets, whereas 1FPF would cause uncomfortable stretching. There are ways to minimize the stretching with 1FPF, such as lifting your first finger as soon as you are done sounding a note with it, or just having atypically, freakishly large hands. And like I said, certain songs call for a close triad on the lower frets, which pretty much requires a 4 finger system, (an example would be "Cochise" by Audioslave) otherwise I use 1-2-4 more often on the low frets.

I think there is a misconception that it's always either 1-2-4, or 1FPF, whereas in the Simandl method, the two are combined with excellent results. The point is to keep the hand in a closed, relaxed position to avoid fatigue. I feel like the strict 1FPF mindset tends to come from guitar, where it makes a lot more sense on those shorter scale necks.

Dave Marks talks about 1FPF and when to use it in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXkxu_7Tn48

I'm not saying go forth and learn Simandl, the one true bass method (you'd need a teacher), but don't dismiss it. Playing this method is hardcoded for me, as my training began with the upright bass.

Regardless of what I, or anyone else says, always play whats comfortable.

Ericadia fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 25, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

When I first started playing fretless, I used Simandl because I found it easier to keep my intonation intact when using the same sort of positioning that I did on upright bass. I even tried using thumb position at the 12th fret, but it's pretty awkward (and unnecessary!) on a horizontal neck. My fretless doesn't have fret lines though, so that approach did help somewhat. I mean, you can think in positions in 1-finger-per-fret also, but in my case it was just easier to relate to.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Just to continue my Avatar :swoon:, Dave posted a pretty cool shop tour video on their FB page. Can't lie, would love to spend a day there building cabs.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Sure; a prototype 500/1. And Rickenbackers too - you asked that in the guitar thread a while ago, no? Gang tag time.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What kind of wattage should I be looking for for the best price - to - loudness ratio?

I will most likely get a Peavey amp again, I've had a small practice one by them for over 10 years that is impressively loud.

I'd be using it to play in a small basement room with a drum set and some other instrumentalists, and have it carry well in a small bar // crappy cover band setting as well.

Bassists don't plug into a PA system, right? It's all my amp? Just looking for a ballpark wattage number or some good recommendations for an Amp to suit my needs.

(Clueless because I'm really a classical pianist)

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Underflow posted:

Sure; a prototype 500/1. And Rickenbackers too - you asked that in the guitar thread a while ago, no? Gang tag time.

UNDERFLOW IS BACK!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Elephunk posted:

What kind of wattage should I be looking for for the best price - to - loudness ratio?

I will most likely get a Peavey amp again, I've had a small practice one by them for over 10 years that is impressively loud.

I'd be using it to play in a small basement room with a drum set and some other instrumentalists, and have it carry well in a small bar // crappy cover band setting as well.

Bassists don't plug into a PA system, right? It's all my amp? Just looking for a ballpark wattage number or some good recommendations for an Amp to suit my needs.

(Clueless because I'm really a classical pianist)

300w is usually plenty for playing live with a full band and no PA support.

Some bassist go direct into the PA without an amp (though a lot will use their own pre-amp, then go into the PA). That's how Geddy Lee has played for the last decade or so. But then you need some good monitors (and a pretty good PA as well) in order for you to hear yourself and have a good tone.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm not saying I don't buy that, but, I don't buy it. You've got 4 fingers, why not use them all to your advantage and open yourself up to a huge chunk of new options. That's just how I've always approached instruments. I also don't see how using one less finger could affect your sound. Anyway I'm not just trying to be a jerk, I'd love to hear someone expand on the topic.

It's essentially that having your fingers closed gives you different muting options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Ericadia posted:

I'm not saying go forth and learn Simandl, the one true bass method (you'd need a teacher), but don't dismiss it. Playing this method is hardcoded for me, as my training began with the upright bass.

Regardless of what I, or anyone else says, always play whats comfortable.

Agreed 100%, and great video as well.