Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Just enjoying myself learning about Dynamesh. This is a quick 1hr speed sculpt.

https://vimeo.com/35033334

Anybody else see the new fur system (fibermesh) R2B is getting? I can't wait :3:

SVU Fan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Is it bad that I sometimes kick that number down a little because I like the grainy feeling it gives my lovely little renders?

Not at all. Sometimes I think it adds to it!

itiot
Feb 17, 2011

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Is it bad that I sometimes kick that number down a little because I like the grainy feeling it gives my lovely little renders?

Yeah I thought it almost added a film grain look. I also added some barrel distortion on the last one to be ~authentic~. Someone needs to develop a stripped down deal called Hipstamatic3D or CameraTrainerPro or LensMaster or something for photographers to screw around with.

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness

necroid posted:

That looks already nice as it is, I'm more amazed by the fact that there's a protein named after Sonic. May I ask what software are you using and if it's going to be an animated piece?

Thanks, I did this in Maya (using Molecular Maya, one of the coolest toolkits) and Photoshop.
I'm planning to animate the piece, but I don't want it to be another "this is how the hedgehog signaling pathway works", so we'll see what happens. I'd like to focus on the role of one of the transmembrane proteins or signaling proteins.

Listerine posted:

I'm not sure if this is the kind of criticism you're looking for, but the phopholipids in the cell membrane appear to have multiple phosphate moeities, whereas what I think you're trying to depict are phospholipids lined up next to each other. I think because you are only showing phospholipids at the "cut" edge of the membrane and elsewhere it's just shaded a lightly textured blue, it makes it seem like the phoshopholipids have two "heads" stacked on each other as opposed a layer composed of phospholipids to next to each other. Also the transmembrane proteins don't appear embedded in the membrane but rather pasted over the membrane, as if they were rendered separately and pasted in. If you had the nearby phospholipids encroaching on the edges of the transmembrane portions, it would go more to sell the embedded nature of those proteins. See my lovely clone brush mockup attached.

Grr, image did not attach, will try again.

This is exactly the type of criticism I'm looking for ;)
You're right that I was trying to depict a cut-away and that they look stacked. I built that part of the membrane with 2 curves and just duplicated my polygons along it, but that borked the perspective/cutaway feel.
And oops, I had built the phospholipids to hug the transmembrane proteins but moved those proteins and forgot to fix the phospholipids.
Seeing your clone mokeup, I still find it amazing that when you change one tiny bit of a piece, how it can dramatically change the feel of the whole piece. It's so cool.
Thanks again for the feeback :)

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Set a goal for 2012 to focus on characters. Here is the first one based off a drawing given to me by a friend.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Set a goal for 2012 to focus on characters. Here is the first one based off a drawing given to me by a friend.

That's pretty cute

It looks like a ZBrush render, was it all modeled in Zbrush?

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Looks cool man! You have a really fun style between this and those environment renders you posted awhile back.

Finished up this gal finally. Still thinking about whether the pose is effective enough or not.

Took a speed sculpt a little uh, further :D

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SVU Fan posted:

Looks cool man! You have a really fun style between this and those environment renders you posted awhile back.

Finished up this gal finally. Still thinking about whether the pose is effective enough or not.

Took a speed sculpt a little uh, further :D

chairlady is awesome and the witch lady should have a bunch of chairladies with their necks cut and their head flopped backwards and she pulls the head back up and talks to them. Your choice as to whether or not they talk back or she's just extra crazy.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This is not as cool-looking as what you guys are doing, but I like him.

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness

SystemLogoff posted:

This is not as cool-looking as what you guys are doing, but I like him.

That's an awesome character! The jagged style could be intentional, like David OReilly (I'm back to obsessing over his "Please Say Something" animation http://vimeo.com/3388129). If you work on the shadows, he'd look cool.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm thinking of getting back into 3D after years of being away. The whole digital-sculpting thing really intrigues me, as that was just a twinkle in someones eye back when I was using SoftImage and PowerAnimator (and terrible poo poo like Caligari Truespace).

So is the academic price for ZBrush the cheapest I'm likely to find for that software, or are there even better deals to be found out there? If Academic is the cheapest, how stringent are stores about enforcing the academic part of the equation? I've seen some stores saying you need to present academic credentials to get that price, but others don't mention anything (at least on the normal store page).

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm thinking of getting back into 3D after years of being away. The whole digital-sculpting thing really intrigues me, as that was just a twinkle in someones eye back when I was using SoftImage and PowerAnimator (and terrible poo poo like Caligari Truespace).

So is the academic price for ZBrush the cheapest I'm likely to find for that software, or are there even better deals to be found out there? If Academic is the cheapest, how stringent are stores about enforcing the academic part of the equation? I've seen some stores saying you need to present academic credentials to get that price, but others don't mention anything (at least on the normal store page).

I don't know anything about zbrush pricing, but if you want a free sculpting application under an educational license, sign up with autodesk educational website ( http://students.autodesk.com ) and you have access to Mudbox (and softimage/maya/max/etc) all free within the bounds of the educational license.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

tuna posted:

I don't know anything about zbrush pricing, but if you want a free sculpting application under an educational license, sign up with autodesk educational website ( http://students.autodesk.com ) and you have access to Mudbox (and softimage/maya/max/etc) all free within the bounds of the educational license.

Whoah, that's really cool. I'm still really interested in ZBrush, but having access to Maya and all that is certainly no slouch if I want to start animating or putting whole scenes together. Thanks!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Whoah, that's really cool. I'm still really interested in ZBrush, but having access to Maya and all that is certainly no slouch if I want to start animating or putting whole scenes together. Thanks!

Besides the completely different interfaces, the concepts between them are the same. Extremely-high poly, pressure-and-brush-based mesh sculpting.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mutata posted:

Besides the completely different interfaces, the concepts between them are the same. Extremely-high poly, pressure-and-brush-based mesh sculpting.

Yeah, sounds the same as what I've read about the two so far. The main reason I'm really interested in Zbrush over Mudbox is I'm really intrigued in ZBrushes efforts to find new ways to do things in CG. Not to mention from what I've read, ZBrush seems to have the edge in pure sculpting ability, whereas Mudbox is a close second but has a better materials manager.

Keep in mind, this will all be essentially just for messing around and having fun creating things. I was big into CG several years ago, even taking a few classes, but just by happenstance I ended up getting work in 2D animation. That kept me so busy for several years that I didn't really have time for CG work, and my skills have certainly atrophied over the years. Now that I'm completely out of the animation industry and doing something totally different, I find I'd like to get back into CG just for fun in my spare time.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ZBrush definitely walks to its own tune, for better or worse (I do admire how they made "eclectic" a workflow). It even has a few technical superiorities over Mudbox in performance. However you'll still be as good as you can be in both, so have fun!

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
The Autodesk academic program is pretty awesome. I don't know how strictly they enforce it, but you can see on the site who from your school is using what software and it lists in your profile what you have activated. It kind of has a big-brother-is-watching feel.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It feels like one of those situations where they don't really care how exactly you follow the 'program' because in the end you're still learning on their product which means in the future you're more likely to use their product.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

hailthefish posted:

It feels like one of those situations where they don't really care how exactly you follow the 'program' because in the end you're still learning on their product which means in the future you're more likely to use their product.

:) Yes, that's what we used to say when we passed around the cracked/torrented versions back in school. I think the real idea behind the online exposure is to find others who use the same software and create a community through social networking, not criminalize people. It's no more big brother than facebook, I guess. They even have a program for unemployed professionals that works the same way, so pretty much everyone who needs access to the software can get it one way or another by honest means.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone here work in Alias? I'm going from Rhino to this.
Does anyone have any DVDs/Books they could recommend?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I wish Adobe would do the same.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I was at Alias|Wavefront during the Maya 3 launch in Toronto, and one of Alias folks was taking questions from our group [this was a few months to a year before they had the education version].

A student asked a question about getting a cheaper educational license for students, and the response was "Go to the internet".

I know of a few software companies in the 3d business who unofficially leak stuff to the pirate groups to get it out there. They make the majority of their money off support contracts vs actual software licenses, but that was just one software firm [who is still a major player today on the high end side].

As for Alias/Rhino is there a specific need for you to work in NURBS? Most of the industry is working using the polygon/displacement/subdivision method except for industrial designers....

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I want the Dropbox folder to show up in the drop down box of the 3DS Max Save As menu. Would save me a bit of time at work. Any ideas how to?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
Checkout Symbolic links, you can make a regular folder have the same exact contents as your dropbox folder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

A5H posted:

Does anyone here work in Alias? I'm going from Rhino to this.
Does anyone have any DVDs/Books they could recommend?

My friend made this.

I admit the pricetag is kind of steep but it is 12 HOURS!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is maya the same as alias?
Autodesk's naming system confuses the poo poo out of me.
Using the automotive pack.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Originally Alias / Wavefront . . . Maya was bought by Autodesk a few years ago. A lot of Maya users (including myself) were a little upset by the buyout.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Autodesk Alias is not Maya.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

tuna posted:

Autodesk Alias is not Maya.

Interesting they are still using the name for something. I had no idea there was a PRODUCT called Alias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_Wavefront

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah they renamed Studio Tools to just be Alias I think. Like how XSI is now back to being called just Softimage.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
How do you guys pronounce Softimage? Up here in Canada I've only ever heard artists say it with a french pronunciation, like Soft-eemawj, with a soft j. Most american artists I've heard though call it Soft-Immij, with a hard j.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

How do you guys pronounce Softimage? Up here in Canada I've only ever heard artists say it with a french pronunciation, like Soft-eemawj, with a soft j. Most american artists I've heard though call it Soft-Immij, with a hard j.

I heard that as it came from a French company, it's pronounced as such.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Softimaaaaaarrrrrgggggggeeeee

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've always pronounced it Soh-t-im-aa

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
sofe-tim-are-gay

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Way-co-oom tablet
or
wah-com tablet?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Who the hell says "Way-co-oom?" That doesn't even make any sense...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chernabog posted:

Way-co-oom tablet
or
wah-com tablet?

It's more like Wah-come. I was just watching a vid on their site the other day and the narrator said it that way. I had always been pronouncing it Way-comm. (which sounds better anyway)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

mutata posted:

Who the hell says "Way-co-oom?" That doesn't even make any sense...

Well, I guess I exaggerated it a bit and it is more like bloody hedgehog said. But most people I've heard pronounce it like that, to the point were I thought I was wrong for saying "wah-com".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Chernabog posted:

Well, I guess I exaggerated it a bit and it is more like bloody hedgehog said. But most people I've heard pronounce it like that, to the point were I thought I was wrong for saying "wah-com".

Ah, so you meant "Way-com" versus "Wah-com"? That makes more sense. I thought you were adding in a third syllable and my brain exploded like that time I heard a friend of mine pronounce "anti-aliasing" as "anti-ah-lie-us-ing".