Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

So I have a common request with a few odd twists: I just finished re-reading the Wheel of Time series and what's completed of the A Song of Ice and Fire series for the umpteenth time and I'm looking for something in that same fantasy vein but I have a couple of wants/do not wants.

Do not want:
-Something set on Earth.
-A story where romance/love is the central plot motivation (sex and love is fine, but I'm not interested in a story where it's the main motivation).
-Anything where the main characters are vampires or werewolves or anything like that unless it is exceedingly well done.

Do want:
-If there is female lead characters (which would be nice but is not mandatory), I would like for their motivation have nothing to do with a man or children. I'm more than a little over female leads motivation being *one true love* or a pregnancy or a child.
-Something available as a .epub for my eReader.

A single book, trilogy, or long series is fine. I'd even be okay with something more in the sci-fi or survival horror realm if it's really well done.

Since you already read some of Sanderson's work, I'll go and recommend The Way of Kings, The Emperor's Soul, and Mistborn. All have female leads and fit all your criteria (although honestly, pretty much all fantasy books recommended here do).

quote:

Last four books read:
-2001: Space Odyssey
-Entire Hitchhiker's (again)
-Childhood's End
-I, Robot (and a number of other Asimov's)

It would be useful to know if you actually liked these books.

Either way, read Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Down With People posted:

Maybe try out Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie?

- Not set on Earth.
- There is sex and romance, but it's not the main thing in the book.
- All of the central characters (bar maybe one exception) are normal people.
- Main character is a female mercenary out for revenge. Okay, admittedly part of her revenge is for her murdered brother, but a lot of it's just for herself.
- Appears to be available on epub.

So it's about this mercenary general called Monza who gets betrayed by her employer by way of being flung off a building. She survives, her brother doesn't, so she puts together a crack team of murderers to scour Florence Styria for the dudes who wronged her. The book is a fast-paced, gritty action novel that's largely a meditation on the pointlessness of revenge.

It is strictly speaking part of The First Law setting and has a big ol' trilogy that comes before it, but you don't need to read that to grok the book. I'm afraid that the other books don't match up for your criteria: the First Law trilogy has like, three or four female characters with any screen-time, The Heroes has a mostly male ensemble cast, and while Shy South in Red Country is totally cool, she is trying to get back her kidnapped children. Joe mentioned in his re-read of the trilogy that he realised that it's kind of lovely with regards to female characters, so he's sort of been trying to fix that since with characters like Monza and Shy.

This sounds perfect, thanks!

Walh Hara posted:

Since you already read some of Sanderson's work, I'll go and recommend The Way of Kings, The Emperor's Soul, and Mistborn. All have female leads and fit all your criteria (although honestly, pretty much all fantasy books recommended here

I'll check out these too. =D

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I'm looking for a book that can explain the history of poetry, because I'm looking to get into reading more poetry but I don't know where to start. What I want to know about is the different eras and styles, preferably with lots of examples. A good and extensive collection of poetry from different periods might also work, I guess, I just want to get a sense for what the different styles sound like.

Perrine's guides are very good. I've gone through prose and (partly) drama ones, but I imagine the poetry one would be similar. They mostly explain how to make sense of texts, which includes structure and technique analysis as well as historical context and follow-up questions which help you think about the text from different aspects.

Here's the amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Perrines-Sound-Sense-Introduction-Poetry/dp/1428289704 , but I suggest you hit up ebay for older editions. I got my one-volume set of prose/drama/poetry guide from 2006 for :10bux:.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Burning Rain posted:

Perrine's guides are very good. I've gone through prose and (partly) drama ones, but I imagine the poetry one would be similar. They mostly explain how to make sense of texts, which includes structure and technique analysis as well as historical context and follow-up questions which help you think about the text from different aspects.

Here's the amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Perrines-Sound-Sense-Introduction-Poetry/dp/1428289704 , but I suggest you hit up ebay for older editions. I got my one-volume set of prose/drama/poetry guide from 2006 for :10bux:.

This sounds perfect, thanks!

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Walh Hara posted:

Since you already read some of Sanderson's work, I'll go and recommend The Way of Kings, The Emperor's Soul, and Mistborn. All have female leads and fit all your criteria (although honestly, pretty much all fantasy books recommended here do).

It would be useful to know if you actually liked these books.

Either way, read Dune.

Liked/loved all of those books. Also, I own Dune and loved that as well.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

ScaerCroe posted:

Last four books read:
-2001: Space Odyssey
-Entire Hitchhiker's (again)
-Childhood's End
-I, Robot (and a number of other Asimov's)

I need some good SciFi.

The Re-Discovery of Man by Cordwainer Smith

houseboatdays
Mar 3, 2013

yes springsteen born to run the slough branch

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I'm looking for a book that can explain the history of poetry, because I'm looking to get into reading more poetry but I don't know where to start. What I want to know about is the different eras and styles, preferably with lots of examples. A good and extensive collection of poetry from different periods might also work, I guess, I just want to get a sense for what the different styles sound like.

I see you've already had one recommendation, and one that seems more suited to what you are looking for; but I have to point towards Glynn Maxwell's On Poetry as an excellent primer on the stuff-wot-comes-in-verse.

Wondering if anybody might be able to help me: I'm on a travelogue jag, especially those set in Japan. I've been through Ferguson's Hokkaido Highway Blues (loved it) and both of Booth's books (also great). Does anybody have something along this line?

houseboatdays fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 3, 2013

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

houseboatdays posted:

I see you've already had one recommendation, and one that seems more suited to what you are looking for; but I have to point towards Glynn Maxwell's On Poetry as an excellent primer on the stuff-wot-comes-in-verse.

Seeing as it doesn't appear to be too expensive, I can probably pick up this too. Thanks!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

13Pandora13 posted:

So I have a common request with a few odd twists: I just finished re-reading the Wheel of Time series and what's completed of the A Song of Ice and Fire series for the umpteenth time and I'm looking for something in that same fantasy vein but I have a couple of wants/do not wants.

Do not want:
-Something set on Earth.
-A story where romance/love is the central plot motivation (sex and love is fine, but I'm not interested in a story where it's the main motivation).
-Anything where the main characters are vampires or werewolves or anything like that unless it is exceedingly well done.

Do want:
-If there is female lead characters (which would be nice but is not mandatory), I would like for their motivation have nothing to do with a man or children. I'm more than a little over female leads motivation being *one true love* or a pregnancy or a child.
-Something available as a .epub for my eReader.

A single book, trilogy, or long series is fine. I'd even be okay with something more in the sci-fi or survival horror realm if it's really well done.

Any of the Taltos books, by Steven Brust.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Can someone recommend a fair account of the 1917 Russian revolution and then another one for the USSR from the 1922 and up?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I'm looking for a book that covers the Boxer Rebellion, fiction or non works fine. Contrasting perspectives would be nice, but that's not a necessary requirement.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 6, 2013

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Can someone recommend a fair account of the 1917 Russian revolution and then another one for the USSR from the 1922 and up?

Sheila Fitzpatrick's The Russian Revolution is a pretty good (and reasonably short) book on the subject. She's a really well-renowned scholar on the revolution and the book actually covers up until the purges of the 1930s since she takes a long view of the revolution. In terms of more general histories of the Soviet Union, The Soviet Experiment by Ronald Suny is a pretty good overview of the broad scope of Soviet history. It's very much a textbook though, and is correspondingly expensive, so that may turn you off, though it's pretty densely packed with information and has a lot of good recommendations for further reading on subjects at the end of each chapter.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Does anyone know of any books about the Lebanon War in 2006? Books about Hizbullah/the Lebanese government around this period would be great too.

asap-salafi fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 8, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
For Hizballah, there's a few options. I would avoid Thanassis Cambanis's book, it's not great. I would go with Nick Blanford or maybe Nicholas Noe. For a rather sympathetic treatment, try Amal Saad-Gorayeb's book, Hizbu'llah: Politics and Religion.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

wiegieman posted:

Any of the Taltos books, by Steven Brust.

Thanks! Wikipedia lists the release order and the actual plot chronological order for this series, which do you recommend I read these in? 19 planned volumes :neckbeard:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

13Pandora13 posted:

Thanks! Wikipedia lists the release order and the actual plot chronological order for this series, which do you recommend I read these in? 19 planned volumes :neckbeard:

Release order. Internal chronological isn't bad for a reread, but you want the pace of Brust's reveals.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

vyelkin posted:

Sheila Fitzpatrick's The Russian Revolution is a pretty good (and reasonably short) book on the subject. She's a really well-renowned scholar on the revolution and the book actually covers up until the purges of the 1930s since she takes a long view of the revolution. In terms of more general histories of the Soviet Union, The Soviet Experiment by Ronald Suny is a pretty good overview of the broad scope of Soviet history. It's very much a textbook though, and is correspondingly expensive, so that may turn you off, though it's pretty densely packed with information and has a lot of good recommendations for further reading on subjects at the end of each chapter.

I'll pick up Fitzpatrick's book and if I still want to know more I'll check out the textbook. Thank you!

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
It's semi-related to the thread, but I couldn't find any place where it would fit better and I don't think this question deserves a thread of it's own. Is there a website like http://www.theyshootpictures.com/oldTSPDT.htm but for books? What I mean is the catalog of authors with a list of their most recommended works, worth checking out, worse etc. Thanks.

And beside that - is Satori in Paris a good read for someone who had never read any Kerouac before? A man searching for his heritage, in Paris on top of it - sound pretty interesting.

Red Garland fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 11, 2013

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...
Can anyone recommend a good biography of Frederick Douglass? He's always seemed like such a larger-than-life figure to me, and I'd really like to learn as much as possible about him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Adib posted:

Can anyone recommend a good biography of Frederick Douglass? He's always seemed like such a larger-than-life figure to me, and I'd really like to learn as much as possible about him.

Didn't he write an autobiography?

edit, post google: http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/DouNarr.html

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Didn't he write an autobiography?

edit, post google: http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/DouNarr.html

Oh, right! I had read a chapter or two of this ages ago but I'd completely forgot about it. I'll definitely look into that, but I was also looking for a scholar's "outside" account of his life, if that makes sense.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Can anyone recommend me an epic modern science fiction series? Doesn't need to be completed, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I'm thinking of something like Mass Effect meets A Song of Ice and Fire. I want lasers and AI and complicated cultures and societies and giant webs of galactic wide political intrigue and all the fun stuff like that.

Alternatively, I've been watching a ton of Rome and Spartacus lately, and any recommendations for fiction that takes place in Ancient Rome would be awesome too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Dark Wind posted:

Can anyone recommend me an epic modern science fiction series? Doesn't need to be completed, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I'm thinking of something like Mass Effect meets A Song of Ice and Fire. I want lasers and AI and complicated cultures and societies and giant webs of galactic wide political intrigue and all the fun stuff like that.

Alastair Reynolds should be right up your alley!

Revelation Space trilogy and assorted prequel novels, novellas and short stories set in the same universe — full of everything you described
House of Suns, standalone book set in its own universe, unrelated to his other works — not a series but still full of everything you described (but no aliens)\

edit: I suppose to a lesser extent, James SA Corey's The Expanse series is going to end up a bit like a sci-fi Game of Thrones. There'll be 6 books (plus assorted novellas) when it's all done, with lots of politics and factions and multiple POVs. It's so far entirely solar-system bound but they still cram a lot of interesting worldbuilding into the books. Not to mention, the authors (James SA Corey is a pseudonym for two people) are friends with, & often collaborators with, George RR Martin.

First book is Leviathan Wakes.

edit 2: gently caress I suppose Michael Cobley's Humanity's Fire series (first book titled Seeds of Earth; fourth book comes out August this year) fits the bill too. It's kinda Mass Effect by way of Game of Thrones with many POVs and many factions. I reviewed it earlier in this thread:

I posted:

Really fun, engaging space opera which packs EVERYTHING into one story: machines vs organics, alien races both good and evil (and neutral), human resistance, space chases/battles, ancient alien ruins, sentient forests, politics, AI/droid characters with tons of personality, and more. It's a lot like Mass Effect, entirely in good ways. Cobley has created a living universe with lots of action and intrigue.

It's not entirely perfect though. The writing is mostly just functional; too many chapters end with characters slipping into unconsciousness (an overused trope); the alien races, while many, aren't described very much at all so I have trouble telling some of the species apart. I ended up slipping "placeholder" images into my mind's eye, drawing from Mass Effect and Star Wars and other sources.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 13, 2013

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

The Dark Wind posted:

Alternatively, I've been watching a ton of Rome and Spartacus lately, and any recommendations for fiction that takes place in Ancient Rome would be awesome too.

Check out Colleen McCullough's series that begins with The First Man in Rome, at least the first three volumes or so (which is as far as I've read; remind me to track down the rest). Fictionalized account of the last generations of the Republic, starting out with a focus on Gaius Marius vs. Lucius Cornelius Sulla and ending with the ascension of Augustus. It's chock full of intrigue and decadence and Latin obscenities and has more pitched battles and poo poo going on than the average fantasy novel.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Dark Wind posted:

Robert Harris has written several novels set in the Roman Empire:

Pompeii is a thriller/mystery set in Pompeii (where else) shortly before, and during, the eruption of 79AD.
Imperium and Lustrum are a fictionalised retelling of the life of Cicero.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks, these are some awesome recommendations. You guys kick rear end. :3:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

I've been meaning to check out Steven Saylor's novel Roman Blood, but I haven't gotten around to it (or any of his others) yet. He writes mysteries set in the later years of the Roman Republic (right around the time of Caesar) about a guy named Gordianus and they get a bunch of praise.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm looking for recomendations for espionage thrillers set during the Cold War. I've enjoyed the obvious Len Deighton and John Le Carré novels, and thrillers that veer into action territory (such as Tom Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin) are good too.

I've read a couple of Frederick Forsyth books before and liked them, but honestly can't remember which ones, since it was years back.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm looking for recomendations for espionage thrillers set during the Cold War. I've enjoyed the obvious Len Deighton and John Le Carré novels, and thrillers that veer into action territory (such as Tom Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin) are good too.

As it happens, I am on the third book of Jeremy Duns's Paul Dark series, which are well researched and well written. The "protagonist" is a British spy who is a double agent for the Soviets, and the backdrop is a bunch of real cold war people and places. Can't recommend these enough.

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010

The Dark Wind posted:

I, Claudius.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've read a couple of Frederick Forsyth books before and liked them, but honestly can't remember which ones, since it was years back.

Eric Ambler and Alan Furst are both worth reading.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm looking for books that are character-driven and deal with the psychological problems of these characters. Something along the lines of a Winesburg, Ohio.

Also, are there any writers that are spare like Raymond Carver or Ernest Hemingway? I really like that style of prose.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 14, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like Snow Crash and Neuromancer, and I need some good Cyberpunk books to hold me over until Shadowrun Returns comes out, what are some good books that are similar? Sorry if this request has come up before, I didn't want to read 146 pages.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Turtlicious posted:

I really like Snow Crash and Neuromancer, and I need some good Cyberpunk books to hold me over until Shadowrun Returns comes out, what are some good books that are similar? Sorry if this request has come up before, I didn't want to read 146 pages.

If you haven't done so already, you could go ahead and read the rest of the Sprawl Trilogy, consisting of Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Down With People posted:

If you haven't done so already, you could go ahead and read the rest of the Sprawl Trilogy, consisting of Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive.

:swoon: I didn't know it was a trilogy! I'm going to go read that. Thanks, I've read the opening line of Hardwired, and I don't really like it to be honest.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm looking for books that are character-driven and deal with the psychological problems of these characters. Something along the lines of a Winesburg, Ohio.

I just finished Lynn Lauber's White Girls and really digged it. One one level, it's about a girl growing up in a small Ohio town in the early 60s, but like Winesburg, it's about a lot more than that - racism, ennui, etc. If you liked Sherwood Anderson's novel, I'd recommend it.

quote:

Also, are there any writers that are spare like Raymond Carver or Ernest Hemingway? I really like that style of prose.

Off the top of my head: Richard Ford (who I think studied under Carver, too), Andre Dubus and Raymond Chandler (or any of the terse, hardboiled writers).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Pick up Burning Chrome as well as the rest of the Sprawl books that "Down With People" mentioned, it's a collection of his short stories and they are really good, you'll even recognize a few characters.

If you can, track down a copy of the anthology Mirrorshades, there's some pretty great stories in there too, along with some less than amazing ones.

Then grab Schismatrix Plus by Bruce Sterling, he's another cyberpunk pioneer like Gibson is.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I'm looking for something in the realm of urban fantasy, where supernatural creatures exist beside humans in either this world, or a parallel reality, etc. Bonus points if the lead character is femaile. But something well written with an interesting plot and not just focused on sexy time with a vampire. I've read a few of the True Blood novels, they were cheesy fun but repetitive. I've read some of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison but that's also veering toward a cheesy romance story. I remember really enjoying Sunshine by Robin McKinley, and of course anything by Neil Gaiman. You could fit Harry Potter into this mix as well, I guess, but I've read all those.

Alternately, I'm looking for memoirs/autobiographies that are laugh out loud funny. Tina Fey's Bossypants has been my favorite, and I've also read Mindy Kaling's. Doesn't have to be written by a celebrity or comedian. I've also read The Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club and Laurie Notaro stories, so something like that is also welcome.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

frenchnewwave posted:

I'm looking for something in the realm of urban fantasy, where supernatural creatures exist beside humans in either this world, or a parallel reality, etc. Bonus points if the lead character is femaile. But something well written with an interesting plot and not just focused on sexy time with a vampire. I've read a few of the True Blood novels, they were cheesy fun but repetitive. I've read some of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison but that's also veering toward a cheesy romance story. I remember really enjoying Sunshine by Robin McKinley, and of course anything by Neil Gaiman. You could fit Harry Potter into this mix as well, I guess, but I've read all those.
The Dresden Files is pretty good urban fantasy. I also enjoyed Artemis Fowl as a fun Harry Potter-esque series. Both series have a pretty nice variety of supernatural creatures, and while the titular characters are both male, each has female characters as secondary protagonists (neither has too large a focus on cheesy romance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

frenchnewwave posted:

Alternately, I'm looking for memoirs/autobiographies that are laugh out loud funny. Tina Fey's Bossypants has been my favorite, and I've also read Mindy Kaling's. Doesn't have to be written by a celebrity or comedian. I've also read The Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club and Laurie Notaro stories, so something like that is also welcome.

Have you read any Charles deLint?

edit: I really liked Let's Pretend This Never Happened, so I'll recommend that.

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 16, 2013