Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My cat just saw a pack of eggs on my kitchen table, carefully examined it, and then knocked the whole drat thing to the ground. The eggs and carton cracked and he began to lick up the delicious insides.

He's little fucker.

Edit: Oh that little poo poo is now walking around the scene of the crime that I just cleaned up meowing because his "treat" has disappeared.

Edit: And now he's found where I keep my recycling and has decided to reclaim what's his. He did this four times and the same thing happened every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xIHTgUJbyM&feature=youtu.be

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I managed to find a good pet food store only 30 minutes away! I got some Blue Buffalo weight control food, and the two kitties love it! Okay, this may have saved my relationship, woot. :D

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
So my previously awesome "would eat anything" cats (about 9 months old) have now turned into picky eaters. All of a sudden they love the kibble but are turning their noses up at the raw food they USED to love and even the cans the were scarfing down.

I suspect that what happened is that when I was gone for the Xmas holiday the folks I had watching them overfed them with kibble and they are now little kitty crack addicts.

I am slowly going through the process of finding what sort of wet food they MIGHT like and even that's rough so far I've found one they both like and one only one of them likes.

I know lots of people have gone through this - just looking for anything that you thought really helped or any tricks?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
One of my cats has some obsession with digging deep in the litter box and shredding the liner. It doesn't seem to matter how much litter I put in, she'll always end up shredding it after a couple of days. Is there any way for me to stop this? It's not some huge deal it's just a hassle and wastes the trash bags I end up using to get it all taken care of.

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008

gowb posted:

I managed to find a good pet food store only 30 minutes away! I got some Blue Buffalo weight control food, and the two kitties love it! Okay, this may have saved my relationship, woot. :D

You still have to regulate how much you're feeding the cats, even if you're feeding them a "weight control" type of food.

Your cats are little creatures who are *entirely* dependent on your care. Don't let anything stop you from doing what's right by them-- including bizarro crying fits from your girlfriend that you won't let her destroy their health. Man up.

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008

fknlo posted:

One of my cats has some obsession with digging deep in the litter box and shredding the liner. It doesn't seem to matter how much litter I put in, she'll always end up shredding it after a couple of days. Is there any way for me to stop this? It's not some huge deal it's just a hassle and wastes the trash bags I end up using to get it all taken care of.

Maybe line the bottom with some cheap contact paper or something she can't get her claws through? It'll stink like the dickens and you'll have to throw it away and replace it frequently, but if you want to use a liner that might be the only way.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

fknlo posted:

Might as well skip the liner. I don't use one, I just rinse out the litter box every few months.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Kruller posted:

Just imagine when he gets the cone off and yells "My cabbages!"

This made me crack the gently caress up. Do they make neuticals for cats, or just dogs? Get your cat some fake testicles, boost his confidence again!

edit: ^^ I never used liner for my old cat's litterbox, he'd just eat it. I'd wash it out really well once a month, or if he had been having stomach problems. It worked well for us! Maybe try that?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I need help. I'm tired and want to go to bed but my cat just laid down in my lap and started purring. She's only 7 pounds but I feel as if I can't move. I swear the little bastards always know when I'm about to get up and then they want to get all snuggly, then I feel guilty for uprooting them.

jrr
Sep 13, 2007
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Does the litter robot work okay for cats that don't bury their poop?

Edit: and does it contribute significantly to the electric bill? (never had an electric bill as I'm living in a utilities-included apartment, but moving soon and I'm not sure how that stuff works)

jrr fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 29, 2012

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

KilGrey posted:

I need help. I'm tired and want to go to bed but my cat just laid down in my lap and started purring. She's only 7 pounds but I feel as if I can't move. I swear the little bastards always know when I'm about to get up and then they want to get all snuggly, then I feel guilty for uprooting them.
Last night I ended up not eating my yummy left overs for a snack and I was stuck on the sofa until nearly 1am when I wanted to go to bed at 11pm because both cats decided I was comfy and warm. They're so cute and I always feel so guilty but then i remind myself: they're cats, they won't remember in the morning.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Esmerelda posted:

Last night I ended up not eating my yummy left overs for a snack and I was stuck on the sofa until nearly 1am when I wanted to go to bed at 11pm because both cats decided I was comfy and warm. They're so cute and I always feel so guilty but then i remind myself: they're cats, they won't remember in the morning.

My cats seem to be more than fine with me picking them up, setting them back down where I was sitting and then doing the reverse when I want to sit back down. The worst I get is a "you woke me up for that?" look.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

jrr posted:

Does the litter robot work okay for cats that don't bury their poop?

Edit: and does it contribute significantly to the electric bill? (never had an electric bill as I'm living in a utilities-included apartment, but moving soon and I'm not sure how that stuff works)

1) yeah, the worst that happens is if the litter is low the tumbling won't cover the poop and it might end up stinking, though usually that means it is time to refill the litter and empty the drawer

2) I've had one for so long I can't say for sure, but I really doubt it is a big ticket item. Worst is always A/C and laundry.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

gowb posted:

I'm glad things are working out! Be sure to make sure the lil guys don't overdo it on the weight control food and get plenty of wriggle/string chase time.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm glad things are working out! Be sure to make sure the lil guys don't overdo it on the weight control food and get plenty of wriggle/string chase time.

Oh yeah, I am! She feeds them in the morning, and I've gotten her to agree to give them less than normal, and to ignore them when they bang the bowl.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

gowb posted:

Oh yeah, I am! She feeds them in the morning, and I've gotten her to agree to give them less than normal, and to ignore them when they bang the bowl.
Possibly obvious, but get a measured scoop to make it easier to give the right amount every time, and to prevent fudging the amount given. As for the bowl, metal bowls with rubber(quiet) bottoms might help.

As for poo poo to make them exercise, the Da Bird toy interests my normally lazier cat enough to get her to run around a bit, though my other cat's scared of it(I never realized that the feather bit rotates). Lasers are also usually pretty reliable, if not cheap. You could get a harness, but cats normally don't "go for walks" anyway - you're probably better off using toys.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I have to take a long, long flight with a cat soon and I need advice regarding soft-sided carriers.

I am living in a third world country and want to relocate a cat back to the US. Very few airlines fly here and the one that I am using can be tremendous dicks about pets (I do have reservation for her approved). As such, I want to buy a carrier that meets their specifications: about 18 in long, 14 wide and 9 tall.

I have a lovely carrier currently that I use for the vet does not meet spec. I have, however, found two that fit the bill: one is 16x10.5x9 and the other 17x10x8.5. It was hard as gently caress to measure my cat but as close as I can tell she is, from shoulder to butt, 11 or 12 inches and about 9 in tall. She weighs 7.5 to 8 lbs.

I will have whatever I buy sent from the US; I can't try it out. They are both quality carriers, though the 17x10x8.5 one is quite a bit more fancy. What would be better for her? I know this sounds silly--she can fit herself into a shoe-box if she wanted--I just want this to be a easy as possible.

I am not an experienced cat owner, but I love this cat and leaving her here is not an option. Should I go for a bit more height or more length? Any opinions on leaving a harness on a cat for a long period (I bought her and am getting her used to a Cat Holster.)? Thank you for any advice.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Yudo posted:

I have to take a long, long flight with a cat soon and I need advice regarding soft-sided carriers.
Why soft-sided?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

duckfarts posted:

Why soft-sided?

She is a carry on cat. My airline will only allow soft sided in the cabin.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Duckie posted:

I know Dee Eight who does the cat drugs has a shelter he gives the extra too, you might check them out? I think it's listed on in his OP.

Thanks, I will do this!

We have 3 cats, and leave dry Wellness out for them all day, but feed them wet Wellness 2-3 times a day. They share a large can. This is not too excessive, is it?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks, I will do this!

We have 3 cats, and leave dry Wellness out for them all day, but feed them wet Wellness 2-3 times a day. They share a large can. This is not too excessive, is it?

A large can as in a 12 oz can? How much dry food? What are their weights like?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RheaConfused posted:

A large can as in a 12 oz can? How much dry food? What are their weights like?

Oh no, by large can I meant the larger of the 2 sizes I only see in Petco/PetSmart. This is the exact one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12470484&lmdn=Brand

I split one can of that up between the 3 of them 2-3 times a day. I have no idea how much dry food they eat because we have it in a feeder, but the dry food is also Wellness brand (which I saw recommended here). Just making sure I'm not giving them too much or even too little.

They're all 13 pounds each and about 2 years old.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Hamburglar posted:

Oh no, by large can I meant the larger of the 2 sizes I only see in Petco/PetSmart. This is the exact one:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12470484&lmdn=Brand

I split one can of that up between the 3 of them 2-3 times a day. I have no idea how much dry food they eat because we have it in a feeder, but the dry food is also Wellness brand (which I saw recommended here). Just making sure I'm not giving them too much or even too little.

They're all 13 pounds each and about 2 years old.

Are they 13 pounds fat or 13 pounds lean? That's probably the best gauge as to whether they're getting too much food or not.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I have lysine to give to both cats since Watson had his URI flare up. Watson likes the stuff, I put it on a spoon and he happily eats it. Figaro, though, will have none of it. I have to hold him, pry open his jaws and force it onto the roof of his mouth.

Figaro then proceeds to lick it frantically off and out. Onto his fur. His super long, extremely fluffy and easily tangled fur. Because he's a bastard. And stupid. At least he hasn't started sneezing yet. I hope he manages to stay healthy because him being sick is a nightmare.

Also, to be slightly topical, if you have a cat that isn't keen on scratching their tree (like mine, that is to play and sleep on, not scratch) then those refillable cardboard scratchers are the best thing ever. Both of mine love it. I call it the "scratchy thing" and whenever one starts to put there claws in bad things I tell them to go use it. And they listen!

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.
They make cat treats with lysine in them. I have them for my cat and it's great because he loves them and thinks I'm rewarding him when I am actually medicating him. The ones I have contain 250 mg in two treats.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

squeegee posted:

They make cat treats with lysine in them. I have them for my cat and it's great because he loves them and thinks I'm rewarding him when I am actually medicating him. The ones I have contain 250 mg in two treats.
I'll look into those. Figaro is all about snacks (if Watson eats them first.)

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
You can't just mix it in with some wet food? That's what I do when mine need a little lysine boost.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

weinus posted:

You can't just mix it in with some wet food? That's what I do when mine need a little lysine boost.
Figaro will only eat wet food from the same plate that Watson is eating from while Watson is eating from it. And he only eats a little bit (there's a reason why Watson is tubby, he eats all the food.) He's good with snacks, though. The little greenies things for his teeth he really likes so if I can get lysine in a form like that I think I can trick him.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

fknlo posted:

I once heard of someone using trash compactor bags as liners because they were strong enough to withstand the cat claws. Never tried it myself though, I just go without liners.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

spatula posted:

I once heard of someone using trash compactor bags as liners because they were strong enough to withstand the cat claws. Never tried it myself though, I just go without liners.

Indy's quite the shredder, so I use these and double-layer them. http://www.glad.com/products/trash-bags/large/forceflex-black-30/ It's worked for me so far, she's yet to tear a hole in the second layer.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I have a question:

We have two black shorthairs, about 18 months to two years old, which we've had for maybe four months.

They're females - sisters - who've raised seven of their own kittens together before we met them (and the Cats Protection League who we bought them from said they were ready to be separated when we bought them). They're spayed now, and live inside all the time in our coachhouse which we have furnished with scratching posts and scratching boxes, climbing trees, fake grass rugs, and a variery of different toy mice.

There're no other animals in the home and they've always been perfect with their litter. We each spend eight hours a day out at work (and don't leave a TV or radio on), but are around every night and most weekends.

They seem very comfortable with us - they hang out all over the house and are comfortable around us or away from us, and if given the option they'll eventually settle in our bed too.

They're also clearly very comfortable with each other - they'll lick each other daily, and scrap often too, though never drawing blood or using claws. Even after a play fight they'll sit together in a big black fur lump.

However, they're growing quite different. Space is the more confident of the two, more strong-backed, more clever, but also will always steal her sister's food if given the chance. The other, Time, has always been a little more skittish, but she's still game for a cuddle every now and then. But this has grown more pronounced recently - she's a little more hesitant to be stroked (though not in a pain aversion way) and more flimsy-backed (the cat version of a limp handshake), and tolerates her food being stolen. She always has wider eyes as if she's scared, though as I say still relaxes with her sister or us.

They still play like normal cats though - Time is a fantastic hunter and Space gets a lot out of massive strokes.

So my question is twofold:
1) How do I discourage Space from stealing? I don't mind if it's a natural behaviour and she's just more dominant, but still I'd rather feed them both equal amounts. I watch them now when they eat to stop Space from doing it, but I'd rather have it be her choice not to.
2) How to I encourage Time to become more relaxed and confident? I want her to be happy and physical like Space. I don't want her to be running away from strokes or nervous when a normal sound happens.

I know these aren't major - they're clearly both happy, normal cats - but as we're early on in our relationship I'd like to encourage them to develop for the better.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

EddieDean posted:

1) How do I discourage Space from stealing? I don't mind if it's a natural behaviour and she's just more dominant, but still I'd rather feed them both equal amounts. I watch them now when they eat to stop Space from doing it, but I'd rather have it be her choice not to.
Some animals will eat until they are sick. Labrador's will do this, as a specific example. Some cats are just pigs at heart. If you're really worried about it, I'd start feeding them at the same time, but is separate (enclosed) areas. Feed them twice a day, but apart. It may take them a couple days to adjust to that schedule, but if one is eating more than the other (and theyre both eating the amount of food to maintain their current weight) you may need intervene to keep both cats healthy.

quote:

2) How to I encourage Time to become more relaxed and confident? I want her to be happy and physical like Space. I don't want her to be running away from strokes or nervous when a normal sound happens.
All cats are different. Some cats don't like having their belly rubbed, while some will hound you until you do it. One of my cats, Sully, is a total love bug. He loves all things that have to do with me petting him. Nermal, however, is skittish and terrified of everything. Thats just how she is. She takes petting on her terms. When she wants a petting/snuggle time, she'll jump in my lap or whatever and I'll love on her endlessly until she's decided she's had enough and runs away. Thats just how she is. I've had her for almost two years and thats been a constant. Shes not a all-the-time snuggle bug, just when it suits her. You get used to it. All you can really do is love on them, encourage them to play with each other and hope for the best :kiddo: With all the things you list that youve bought for them so that they're comfortable and entertained, it sounds like you're doing what you can so far.

Also, Space & Time are the cutest names I've ever heard :3: I'm charging you three pictures of your cats for this post :colbert:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

If you're worried Time's skittishness is affecting her quality of life, you might want to talk to a vet. Some cats are skittish, yeah, but some actually have anxiety disorders, just like people. She might do well on some anxiety meds.

Also seconding the request for pictures :3:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Radio! posted:

If you're worried Time's skittishness is affecting her quality of life, you might want to talk to a vet. Some cats are skittish, yeah, but some actually have anxiety disorders, just like people. She might do well on some anxiety meds.

Also seconding the request for pictures :3:

Oh god now I'm going to have to call the vet about this. Nermal is terrified all the time. Now I feel awful, oh god kitty you're going to the vet on Wednesday to talk about this :ohdear:

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Thanks guys. We'll mention it when we're at the vet next, but that's good to know that it might just be how she is.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get to my home PC, they are very handsome girls. I've got a great one of Space hiding in our fake grass.

For discouraging Space from stealing, I've read here that cats respond much better to positive than negative feedback. So when she, for example, looks at Time's food after finishing her own but then moves away, I give her big love. But still the other day she couldn't help herself from pushing in on some tuna when we had our backs turned. I've tried to go a little more extreme the other way - when she's stolen food Time gets hers topped back up and Space gets put out of the lounge for ten minutes, but that seems to upset Time as much as Space so I don't like doing it.

Time, as she's dumb, doesn't really get that telling off is directed at Space, so we can't use our favourite "A! A! A!" discipline shout so effectively - it leaves Time skittish as she's not sure where she's going wrong.

drat, they're lovely girls though. Like I say, it's relatively minor. Space is an excellent cuddler, loves falling over during a stroke, and always gentle with claws and teeth - I think because she has a sister to tell her 'claws hurt'. She uses teeth very gently and deliberately to say 'I don't like your hand resting there', it's very polite.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Oh no I am not a vet I don't want anyone to think they've been traumatizing their cats :ohdear: I only know about it really because one of my cats was previously recommended them. He doesn't take them at the moment, though, because he's been fine in the time I've had him.

I've heard that one of the dosing methods for these particular meds is rubbing them on the cat's ear so it gets absorbed. I really hope that's true because :3:

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I haven't been trimming my cats back claws, because he doesn't scratch furniture with them. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do. They seem to be getting really long, so I decided to try clipping them. He's a lot more touchy about people handling his back legs than his front legs so I'm only able to clip a couple at a time, even with an accomplice holding him.

My concern is that I noticed that the quicks in his back claws are very long. One of his claws has splintered or shed or something, leaving the raw quick exposed. Obviously there is nothing that I can clip here!

I don't to what degree this is a problem, or what I should do about it. Am I a terrible cat mom?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

EddieDean posted:

I have a question:

We have two black shorthairs, about 18 months to two years old, which we've had for maybe four months.

They're females - sisters - who've raised seven of their own kittens together before we met them (and the Cats Protection League who we bought them from said they were ready to be separated when we bought them). They're spayed now, and live inside all the time in our coachhouse which we have furnished with scratching posts and scratching boxes, climbing trees, fake grass rugs, and a variery of different toy mice.

There're no other animals in the home and they've always been perfect with their litter. We each spend eight hours a day out at work (and don't leave a TV or radio on), but are around every night and most weekends.

They seem very comfortable with us - they hang out all over the house and are comfortable around us or away from us, and if given the option they'll eventually settle in our bed too.

They're also clearly very comfortable with each other - they'll lick each other daily, and scrap often too, though never drawing blood or using claws. Even after a play fight they'll sit together in a big black fur lump.

However, they're growing quite different. Space is the more confident of the two, more strong-backed, more clever, but also will always steal her sister's food if given the chance. The other, Time, has always been a little more skittish, but she's still game for a cuddle every now and then. But this has grown more pronounced recently - she's a little more hesitant to be stroked (though not in a pain aversion way) and more flimsy-backed (the cat version of a limp handshake), and tolerates her food being stolen. She always has wider eyes as if she's scared, though as I say still relaxes with her sister or us.

They still play like normal cats though - Time is a fantastic hunter and Space gets a lot out of massive strokes.

I know these aren't major - they're clearly both happy, normal cats - but as we're early on in our relationship I'd like to encourage them to develop for the better.
Sonic screwdriver.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
My feral adoptee got out last night, and instead of staying on the stoop like he usually does, he ran right off. I looked, called for him, and left food out last night, and a friend looked today and stopped by the Humane Society to see if anyone has picked him up - nothing yet.

What should I do to find my kitty?

[edit] He has been a 100% indoor cat since I found him in October. Neutered, has all his shots, but no tags or microchips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
The best you can do is put up fliers, maybe knock on some doors and check regularly with the local shelter (whoever runs the animal control trucks, not typically the humane society.)

I'm sorry about your kitty. I hope you find him!