Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

err posted:

I called the SERO line for an upgrade/new contract today and he said I was good to go and to just go into the store or go online to pick up a phone. But in my account I'm still listed as just "SERO 500". Should I call again before ordering, the Sprint website doesn't seem to help much.

Go under your plan detail and you should see:

Plan details

SERO Premium
$40.00 Minimum Monthly Charge
500 Anytime Minutes
Nationwide Long Distance Included
America - Roaming Included
Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime
Unlimited SMS Text Messaging
Unlimited Picture Mail
Unlimited Data Usage
GPS Navigation
Caller ID
Call Waiting
Three-Way Calling
Voicemail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Matlock posted:

Hah, just saw Amazon post on FB about the SGSIIE4T. It's $99 for new signups, and $149 for renewals.

Seems like an obvious ploy post-iPhone4s, but it's a crazy good looking phone :swoon:

I'm hoping they drop the price on the arrive :)

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Lovie Unsmith posted:

If you get one, you should get a vanity license plate with that on it.

Most states are limited to 7 characters!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

This brings up a good point, are the SGSII's a bitch to root or something?
In theory, no. You just use Odin/Heimdall (desktop programs) to flash a custom kernel to the device and you're done. You can even keep all your existing settings/data.

Unfortunately the E4GT is hosed right now. Not only is it suffering from annoying bugs (the radio walkoff, suspend loops), but Samsung didn't actually release the source code for the factory-shipped kernel but rather a later version with undisclosed modifications. Some of these modifications (if not actual bugs) exacerbate the above problems, so they're much worse on custom kernel devices.

The "good news" is that once rooted you can flash the stock kernel back on, which returns the device to it's half-broken stock state.

Nuts and Gum posted:

What about the Nexus S 4G?
It's reasonably easy. You download the Android SDK which contains a USB driver and a program called "fastboot". Then you run "fastboot oem unlock" which unlocks the device after clearing all your data. From there you can install a custom recovery and root.

The good news is that unlocking the Nexus S 4G is an official capability of the device, so it's never going to go away. The downside is that, because it's official you actually have to go download the Android SDK instead of some shady binary from hotfiles or something. Also, the unlocking process clears all your data (presumably for DRM purposes or something), so if you think you're going to unlock a Nexus S I'd recommend doing it pretty early before you have it all configured to your liking.

Anathema posted:

You'd think this would be seen as a decent window of opportunity for an Android or WP7 phone manufacturer to break into the enterprise phone market, but so far, nothing.
Flash encryption was added to Honeycomb, so we'll see more of it once Ice Cream Sandwich is released for phones. As mentioned, some manufacturers have been backporting or rolling out their own encryption stuff for some Gingerbread devices as well.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Informative Information
Thanks! I think I'm going to pick up a used Nexus S 4G :)

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
My EVO has been giving me problems since day 1 and has been overheating for the past few months (took it in for repairs but still doing the same thing). I want to get a new phone, and WAS a premier gold member last year so I assumed I'd get an upgrade this year, but now I find out I have to wait 355 days...? Is there anyway for them to push this through? I called the number in the OP but while the guy I talked to was almost willing to help me, the manager just told me he would buy back my phone for 80. Kinda ridiculous, but I guess that's what I get for relying on annual upgrades.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

CharlesM posted:

I'm hoping they drop the price on the arrive :)

But it's already free with a new contract on Amazon Wireless.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

OMGzKakaniz posted:

My EVO has been giving me problems since day 1 and has been overheating for the past few months (took it in for repairs but still doing the same thing). I want to get a new phone, and WAS a premier gold member last year so I assumed I'd get an upgrade this year, but now I find out I have to wait 355 days...? Is there anyway for them to push this through? I called the number in the OP but while the guy I talked to was almost willing to help me, the manager just told me he would buy back my phone for 80. Kinda ridiculous, but I guess that's what I get for relying on annual upgrades.

This is not a guarantee, but I may have a solution.

If you have insurance keep swapping the phone. After 2 swaps in 6 months you get labeledin the tech system as bring eligible for as like model swapping. Currently options I've seen are nexus, epic and evo 3D. So yes,I have literally done an exchange and basically upgraded some customers phones.

The advanced exchange for different models is at the employees discretion, and obviously we have caps and limits. So some of this is luck of the draw. But in general, after a bunch of exchanges you can get something else.

If you don't have insurance, pussy $35 to swap and you can then add it on then, at least temporarily.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Duckman2008 posted:

If you don't have insurance, pussy

You tell'em.

For real though that's good advice and sounds like it'd be worth trying.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Any of you Evo 3D folks try the newish Warm ROM nightlies and feel like sharing your experience? Basically I'm wondering where it stands on the scale of rom shittiness - with CleanROM at the good end and Synergy at the other - before I bother dealing with Nandroid backups and flashing to test it out myself.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Leathal posted:

Any of you Evo 3D folks try the newish Warm ROM nightlies and feel like sharing your experience? Basically I'm wondering where it stands on the scale of rom shittiness - with CleanROM at the good end and Synergy at the other - before I bother dealing with Nandroid backups and flashing to test it out myself.

All I can say is if I was going to flash a Sense ROM again on my EVO (I can't speak for the 3D ROM) it would be one of Myn's Warm ROMs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PREYING MANTITS posted:

You tell'em.

For real though that's good advice and sounds like it'd be worth trying.

Haha drat Swype. For the record, I meant PAY the $35 and add insurance.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

Duckman2008 posted:

This is not a guarantee, but I may have a solution.

If you have insurance keep swapping the phone. After 2 swaps in 6 months you get labeledin the tech system as bring eligible for as like model swapping. Currently options I've seen are nexus, epic and evo 3D. So yes,I have literally done an exchange and basically upgraded some customers phones.

The advanced exchange for different models is at the employees discretion, and obviously we have caps and limits. So some of this is luck of the draw. But in general, after a bunch of exchanges you can get something else.

If you don't have insurance, pussy $35 to swap and you can then add it on then, at least temporarily.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to upgrade to an iPhone or something when they come out Friday but I'm guessing that's out of the question. I have insurance and have been there three times for my EVO doing the same thing (overheating and the touch screen just flat out failing).

Kinda sucks they dropped me from annual updates or I just would have gotten my previous phone repaired instead of upgraded like the guy at the store suggested to me.

OMGzKakaniz fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 11, 2011

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
If I go on a trip to Canada and text my friends who are with me (we're all on American AT&T or Sprint [me] plans), will I be charged anything extra above my unlimited texting plan?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bobula posted:

If I go on a trip to Canada and text my friends who are with me (we're all on American AT&T or Sprint [me] plans), will I be charged anything extra above my unlimited texting plan?

Yes, call in and ask for the Canada Roaming Plan to be added to your plan for as long as you're visiting. You'll get reduced roaming rates.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
So it looks like I'm in the market for a Galaxy S II. The screen, the camera, and the descriptions of the "buttery" feel of the UI have pretty much sold me. I've been waiting for an Android phone that has the smoothness of the iPhone, and it sounds like Samsung has stepped up to the plate.

The only problem I've read about them is a radio issue where the phone loses signal and seemingly can't get it back. Is this a common occurrence, or am I just seeing the 10% complain?

In addition, I understand that there are problems with Samsung and Sprint pushing updates to the phones. Is this a cause for concern? I would just like a phone that works, and works well - I'm not the kind of guy who needs the latest version of the OS the day it comes out.

Finally, I can get an upgrade through Sprint on the 19th of this month - $200 per phone. Any signs of this price dropping significantly in the next month or so? Amazon has the phone for $175 with an upgrade, but I don't know how they communicate with Sprint - I've got a 25% corporate discount, and I really don't want to lose it. Anyone had any experience upgrading through Amazon?

Vastly Outnumbered
Dec 10, 2003

err posted:

I called the SERO line for an upgrade/new contract today and he said I was good to go and to just go into the store or go online to pick up a phone. But in my account I'm still listed as just "SERO 500". Should I call again before ordering, the Sprint website doesn't seem to help much.

When I migrated from SERO to SERO Premium, the rep set it to transition at the beginning of the following billing cycle; it's possible that's what they did with your account also.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

What the other dude said, also keep in mind Google voice is free texting over WIFI. Emphasis on wifi, data roaming rates are atrocious so avoid Google voice or anything over 3g at all costs.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

So it looks like I'm in the market for a Galaxy S II. The screen, the camera, and the descriptions of the "buttery" feel of the UI have pretty much sold me.
Samsung is a seductress ....

berzerkmonkey posted:

The only problem I've read about them is a radio issue where the phone loses signal and seemingly can't get it back. Is this a common occurrence, or am I just seeing the 10% complain?
To be honest I don't have an E4GT. But I've been following the problems with it pretty closely. I do have an Epic, which is Samsung's previous Sprint disaster phone.

The radio issue appears to affect all handsets, but it's a probabilistic thing. Folks can go quite some time running stock without ever seeing it. Custom kernels (likely due to Samsung's botched source release) are far worse, with the radio dropping out multiple times a day.

That's not the only problem however. The phone can also go into suspend loops which causes extra CPU utilization and battery drain. Also some folks report subpar GPS experience, but that's not a universal complaint.

berzerkmonkey posted:

In addition, I understand that there are problems with Samsung and Sprint pushing updates to the phones. Is this a cause for concern?
Absolutely, and this is by far the biggest concern about the device. It already suffers from known problems and at this point, it's anyone's guess when it will be patched by Samsung. The phone might be worth reevaluating once it's fixed, but I wouldn't purchase a broken phone today in hope that a fix comes timely. Folks were burned on that in the past with the Epic and Moment.

To put this in perspective, the Epic was released at the beginning of September last year already running an older version of Android. There were complaints about the device right away, namely a non-functioning GPS. Samsung released two OTA updates within the first month-and-a-half to address them, but they still didn't solve the problems. We didn't get another update until March which did fix some things, but broke the phone so badly that the update got pulled half-way though being pushed. We got another update a month later that fixed the most egregious of issues, but as of today a fully updated Epic still suffers from issues it was released with, many of which have been fixed by community developers--but why can't Samsung do that?

In addition, all the first-generation Galaxy S phones released in the US (Captivate, Vibrant, Epic, Fascinate, Galaxy S 4G, Indulge, Droid Charge, Sidekick 4G) except one (Mesmerize) are still running Android Froyo, despite Gingerbread having been released 10 months ago and specifically designed with Google's help to run on Samsung's hardware platform. Again, it's not so much about not having the "latest and greatest" but the fact that Gingerbread addreses bugs and other issues folks have with their phones that they can't get updates for. Also, it does suck to pay top-dollar for a high-end phone and be constantly behind software-wise, particularly when some apps (Netflix, Skype Video, Google Talk Video, etc.) require the latest version of Android.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I would just like a phone that works, and works well
Honestly I'd get an iPhone.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly I'd get an iPhone.
drat it, this is what I'm trying to avoid. I've got a dislike for Apple anyways, hate iTunes, and am pissed that Apple charges such a high premium for memory, in a time when memory is extremely cheap. I wish their drat phone wasn't so user friendly - it would remove the temptation.

I was leaning toward the Evo 3D, but I'm just not impressed with what I've been reading. The Photon was another consideration, but I understand the camera on it is crappy.

Why can't someone in the phone industry, aside from Apple, finally produce a phone that has few, if any, problems? These guys push out half-assed hardware and there are no repercussions.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

berzerkmonkey posted:

So it looks like I'm in the market for a Galaxy S II. The screen, the camera, and the descriptions of the "buttery" feel of the UI have pretty much sold me. I've been waiting for an Android phone that has the smoothness of the iPhone, and it sounds like Samsung has stepped up to the plate.

Personally, my wife and I love ours and only have the radio issue when using a custom kernel. Since we went back to the stock kernel, it hasn't happened once. People claim it happens on stock too (and Sprint says the first update will fix it) but I haven't seen it happen myself.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was leaning toward the Evo 3D, but I'm just not impressed with what I've been reading.
What's unimpressing about it?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Why can't someone in the phone industry, aside from Apple, finally produce a phone that has few, if any, problems?
There's a few things at play here. For one, I'm of the opinion that domestically developed devices have a tendency to be better than foreign ones, if only because they're dog fooded on the engineers who have an incentive to actually fix bugs. The E4GT is a phone that two people in Korea have ever heard of, so there's not much of a rush to remedy it. That said, Motorola is a domestic developer and they've released a number of doozies, so that heuristic only goes so far.

The rest of it is just the number of devices relative to number of engineers I think. Apple puts out one phone a year, and have a bunch of engineers working on it to make sure it's solid.

In contrast, Samsung put out nine Galaxy S-labeled phones in the US between Summer 2010 and 2011. Add in the Continuum, Intercept, Transform, Indulge (sorry I meant Inspire previously), Conquer 4G, and Replenish, and that's at least 15 Android handsets in the US market in a year. And each is stupidly different from another in various non-trivial ways. That's far too many handsets for their overworked engineering teams to keep up with.

Honestly I think Google is the best handset "manufacturer" in the Android world. They take the most Apple-like approach, release one handset a year, maybe two with minor hardware variations (radio swap). The Nexus line hasn't been perfect, but they're pretty good about getting updates out timely and keeping their devices supported. Plus, unlike third-party manufacturers, Google really does release all of the platform source code for Nexus devices so we can support and fix them ourselves without having to pull our hair out over hosed source releases.

If the Nexus S were only a bit more of a hardware improvement over the Nexus One, and didn't lack a micro-SD slot, it would be the only Android phone I'd ever recommend to anyone. I'm hoping the Nexus Prime pulls through here. It's really getting silly at this point to gamble with third-party devices that release late, buggy updates, that lock their devices down in stupid ways and fail to open them up appropriately despite promising to do so. Except for the locking bit, HTC, Motorola, and Samsung are all guilty of those issues. And LG, well, gently caress LG.

All that said, I will comment that Samsung is definitely improving software wise, but they're support is still in shambles. I've been through their code (at least, what they've released) rather extensively for a few devices and there's very clear improvements from Eclair to Froyo and Gingerbread. Basically, Samsung's first phones were taking their existing Linux platform (Bada) and bashing it just enough to make Android to run, so they were full of all sorts of surprising hacks that became sources of bugs or at least didn't work out well in the long run. With Gingerbread (and Google's sorting out Samsung's worst platform issues) they're actually reasonably sane.

Indeed the SGSII is a good phone, it's very much representative of the progress Samsung has made in making phones not suck. And I would've said the same thing about the E4GT if they hadn't bolted on the Epic's CDMA radio and introduced a bunch of bugs in the process.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

What the other dude said, also keep in mind Google voice is free texting over WIFI. Emphasis on wifi, data roaming rates are atrocious so avoid Google voice or anything over 3g at all costs.

Texts in Canada are normal rate!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

datajosh posted:

Personally, my wife and I love ours and only have the radio issue when using a custom kernel. Since we went back to the stock kernel, it hasn't happened once. People claim it happens on stock too (and Sprint says the first update will fix it) but I haven't seen it happen myself.
Thanks for the info. I'm not planning on rooting, so maybe they will get the problem resolved.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's unimpressing about it?
Well, from what I've read (again, read, not experienced), the quality of photos isn't so hot, the display is so-so compared to the SGSII, and dropped calls seems to be an issue. Also, the SGSII has a better GPU, a much faster processor, and considerable more internal memory. Oh, and Gorilla Glass. I have heard that Sense is better than TouchWiz, but I understand Samsung has made some vast improvements in the TW interface.

I don't know - it may be a case of me going to the store and picking up each and playing for a while to see how I feel with each.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The rest of it is just the number of devices relative to number of engineers I think. Apple puts out one phone a year, and have a bunch of engineers working on it to make sure it's solid.

In contrast, Samsung put out nine Galaxy S-labeled phones in the US between Summer 2010 and 2011. Add in the Continuum, Intercept, Transform, Indulge (sorry I meant Inspire previously), Conquer 4G, and Replenish, and that's at least 15 Android handsets in the US market in a year. And each is stupidly different from another in various non-trivial ways. That's far too many handsets for their overworked engineering teams to keep up with.
I whole-heartedly agree with you on this. What I should have said was that I wish manufacturers would limit themselves to producing a couple of good, solid phones per year, rather than just throwing out handset after handset in an effort to keep up with the Jones-es.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm not planning on rooting, so maybe they will get the problem resolved.

Well, from what I've read (again, read, not experienced), the quality of photos isn't so hot, the display is so-so compared to the SGSII, and dropped calls seems to be an issue. Also, the SGSII has a better GPU, a much faster processor, and considerable more internal memory. Oh, and Gorilla Glass. I have heard that Sense is better than TouchWiz, but I understand Samsung has made some vast improvements in the TW interface.

I don't know - it may be a case of me going to the store and picking up each and playing for a while to see how I feel with each.

I whole-heartedly agree with you on this. What I should have said was that I wish manufacturers would limit themselves to producing a couple of good, solid phones per year, rather than just throwing out handset after handset in an effort to keep up with the Jones-es.

A few things on the 3D:

I have complained about signal stuff here with mine. Dropped calls are not one of them. Honestly the only weakness to the phone is that it seems to not have a perfect 4G radio (i have a nexus s for comparison). My nexus constantly gets and retains (emphasize retains) 4G here in philly. 3D is not awful, but definitely more spotty. Everything else, including 3g signal, is fine with the 3D.

Well,that's all I got for now actually, but still, the 3D is still the best phone on sprint for me. Whether someone should get the photon, 3D or epic touch remains on preference. I haven't seen issues with the epic touch yet, but they wouldn't surprise me if they were there.

And i will hate the iPhone until the mania dies down, so I will refrain from comment there.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

berzerkmonkey posted:

In addition, I understand that there are problems with Samsung and Sprint pushing updates to the phones. Is this a cause for concern? I would just like a phone that works, and works well - I'm not the kind of guy who needs the latest version of the OS the day it comes out.

I traded my EVO 3D for an ET4G. I actually liked the EVO 3D, though I had mine rooted with CleanROM. The 16gb vs 4gb onboard memory was the dealbreaker for me.

For the radio/LOS issue, it mainly affects rooted users. When I had mine at just stock for a week or so, I never had it come up. Phone that works is a tossup between the EVO 3D, Photon, and Epic Touch. I'd actually avoid the Epic Touch if you're looking to root due to said LOS problems until a fix is out.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I can't speak for a comparison to the SGSII (because, lol Samsung), but the 3Ds screen is gorgeous, and Gorilla Glass.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

Why can't someone in the phone industry, aside from Apple, finally produce a phone that has few, if any, problems? These guys push out half-assed hardware and there are no repercussions.

The problem with Android phone makers right now is software. The classical case is the original Galaxy S. It had great hardware, with a good DAC, a pretty S-AMOLED screen, 16 GB of built-in memory and the best performance of the day's devices. But Samsung's software stack completely hosed it up.

Fast forward 6 months, Google releases the same hardware for their dev phone in the Nexus S and it has no issues. It's all in the software.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My Evo 4G isn't charging anymore, I think the USB port is dead. My contract isn't up until November 2012, what are my options for having a working phone without paying out the rear end? I'm guessing I'm either going to be buying a used phone on eBay, or an external battery charger. Any chance Sprint will help me out?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Is dust under the screen on a refurbished Evo 4G something they will take care of or is that considered cosmetic? I got a refurb about two months ago, and it looks like they had to replace at least the glass on the screen (this is a guess, I noticed when I got it in the mail that there was a tiny bit of what looks like sealant protruding from the edge of the screen, pretty tiny but noticable). I didn't think too much about it and went on my way using it. About a week or so ago I had the phone outside in the sun an noticed in three of the corners quite a bit of dust under the glass.

This irks me pretty bad because the Evo I sent back to them was in perfect physical condition, it got replaced when I called in asking about the pretty bad ring lag I was getting.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, from what I've read (again, read, not experienced), the quality of photos isn't so hot
They are not bad either for a phone. I am happy the with quality that my evo3d takes.

berzerkmonkey posted:

the display is so-so compared to the SGSII
It's not SAMOLED, but at least its not PENTILE.

berzerkmonkey posted:

, and dropped calls seems to be an issue.
Haven't had an issue with them.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also, the SGSII has a better GPU,
I haven't seen any benchmarks that put it that farther if any ahead of the evo3d

berzerkmonkey posted:

a much faster processor,
I haven't seen any benchmarks that put it that farther if any ahead of the evo3d

berzerkmonkey posted:

and considerable more internal memory.
That much is quantifiably true, but it does have a microSD card so you can through a 32GB card in there for pretty cheap.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh, and Gorilla Glass.
So does the evo3d

berzerkmonkey posted:

I have heard that Sense is better than TouchWiz, but I understand Samsung has made some vast improvements in the TW interface.
I can't speak for touchwiz as I have never used it, but I am whole heartedly looking forward to Cyanogenmod to get a feature complete port to the EVO3D so I can get rid of the Sense bloat. It's a lot of flash over substance and I would prefer the phone to be more lean. That said, it does offer some benefit over stock Android, but nothing I can't personally live with out.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
I really don't know where the impression that the evo 3d had a poor screen comes from. I actually think that it is the best qhd screen available right now. It isn't as gorgeous as SAMOLED+ but it is also running at a higher resolution than the sgsII which is a really nice feature in and of itself.

I have had mine since June and I can honestly say that I've had zero issues with it. Yes, the photon can hold a bad 4g signal better but the 3d still does fine and I have have seen no issues with voice or wifi. I don't think I've ever dropped a call either.

Seriously, anyone that is on the fence about what phone to get should go out and mess with a 3d in the store. The 3d thing is a bit of a silky gimmick but it its still a drat good device. I've been super impressed and after my lovely experience with the shift I'd be the first person to say otherwise if I thought it wasn't a great phone.

I certainly can't say what the future will bring with regards to software updates (neither HTC nor Samsung have a spotless record) but I can say that the 3d is a fully functional and great device right now so there's no need to buy it with the hopes that issues get ironed out as seems to be the case with the ET4G.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Matlock posted:

Go under your plan detail and you should see:

Plan details

SERO Premium
$40.00 Minimum Monthly Charge

I signed up for SERO waay back. My nights and weekends start at 9PM and I didn't get free texts so I had to add 300 of them for $5/month. My account just shows Fair & Flexible Plan 500. Do you guys think I could sneak a good phone on there without upgrading? Well, I guess I'd have to add the premium data, so I'd only be saving $5/month.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Lowen SoDium posted:

It's not SAMOLED, but at least its not PENTILE.

Nor is the SGS2E4GT.

Heh, I like using that name, sounds like an engine code.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

What's wrong with Pentile displays? I looked at the Epic Touch and the Photon side by side in the Sprint store and couldn't tell a huge difference.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Vastly Outnumbered posted:

When I migrated from SERO to SERO Premium, the rep set it to transition at the beginning of the following billing cycle; it's possible that's what they did with your account also.

Did you go in to a store or did you order a phone online? Hesitant to do either until I see "SERO Premium" on my account page. Isn't it regarded that most Sprint reps won't know what SERO is?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
One thing that keeps me coming back to a Sense based rom on my EVO 4G is the animated Sense clock. After you use an app and you hit the home button, the Sense clock briefly shows the time at the minute you opened the app, and then the clock flips to the current time. This allows me to know exactly how much time I spend on my phone every time I pick it up. I don't know if that sounds weird or stupid, but I love it. I have yet to find another clock widget that does this.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Matlock posted:

What's wrong with Pentile displays? I looked at the Epic Touch and the Photon side by side in the Sprint store and couldn't tell a huge difference.

Here is an Anandtech quick touch on Pentile vs RGB.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4165/the-motorola-atrix-4g-preview/4

It's all zoomed in and stuff but here it is not zoomed in to hell:

http://i.imgur.com/WaTHj.jpg

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Kynetx posted:

Nor is the SGS2E4GT.

Heh, I like using that name, sounds like an engine code.

It also makes a decent password. Although the full name is even better...

According to this, "Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch" would take 5.34 billion trillion trillion trillion centuries to crack in a best case scenario of one hundred trillion guesses per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

averox posted:

Here is an Anandtech quick touch on Pentile vs RGB.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4165/the-motorola-atrix-4g-preview/4

It's all zoomed in and stuff but here it is not zoomed in to hell:

http://i.imgur.com/WaTHj.jpg

Weird, I guess having cokebottle glasses finally paid off.