Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Classic Morehen's Disease.

I think Morehen's Disease is so official sounding! :henget: Gotta get more hens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

unprofessional posted:

Stopped at the weekly poultry auction this morning and saw these dapper pigeons. I don't know poo poo about pigeons, but man are they ever enticing to get "just a few."

Very cute, but I hate seeing birds on wire floor cages. :(

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
The grounds has permanent auction pens. They're just in it for a couple of hours.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

unprofessional posted:

Stopped at the weekly poultry auction this morning and saw these dapper pigeons. I don't know poo poo about pigeons, but man are they ever enticing to get "just a few."

The backdrop looks like Tippi Hendren's coat.

ShiftyNipples, if you are thinking of putting a newly-hatched chick in with 3 month olds--don't do it, the baby doesn't know to get out of the way or anything about the pecking order, and would get trampled. I wouldn't put any chick any younger than 4-6 weeks old in with the 3 month olds. Also youngster chicks of course have to be feathered out enough to stay warm by themselves.

VVVV I thought so but I worry about things like this. :blush:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 27, 2014

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The backdrop looks like Tippi Hendren's coat.

ShiftyNipples, if you are thinking of putting a newly-hatched chick in with 3 month olds--don't do it, the baby doesn't know to get out of the way or anything about the pecking order, and would get trampled. I wouldn't put any chick any younger than 4-6 weeks old in with the 3 month olds. Also youngster chicks of course have to be feathered out enough to stay warm by themselves.

Yes of course, I'd raise the little dude until she was old enough to survive basic chicken stuff.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yes of course, I'd raise the little dude until she was old enough to survive basic chicken stuff.

Awww. The little chick will be so lonely. Get her a buddy, please! :D

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
So I've just been donated a couple of girls from a family who decided after having three eaten by their dog that they needed to do something. On the plus side I got a decent sized cage and feed with feeders for free, so that's nice. It's a big cage and on top of that they have a whole back yard they can free roam whilst we are home. No idea what breed they are.

Edit: After talking to my partner, apparently they started with 6 chickens, two guinea pigs and two rabbits. These girls are all that is left.

Griffball fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 27, 2014

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Griffball posted:

Mo idea what breed they are.

One at the front is probably a Maran. Other is a Buff *, hard to tell by the picture, could be Orpington could be a number of breeds as cant see its body.

ukle fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 27, 2014

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

ukle posted:

One at the front is probably a Maran. Other is a Buff *, hard to tell by the picture, could be Orpington could be a number of breeds as cant see its body.

I got a slightly better shot of the other girl. Apparently they haven't been laying since the dog incidents, I'm guessing once they get settled in and happy they should start again.

From everything I've read I've basically got two of the chillest breeds I could, not the best layers but I don't really care, I'll just be happy to have some little dumb dinosaurs trawling our backyard for bugs.

Griffball fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 27, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Griffball posted:

I got a slightly better shot of the other girl. Apparently they haven't been laying since the dog incidents, I'm guessing once they get settled in and happy they should start again.

What lovely round chickens :kimchi: Once they start laying it should be pretty easy to tell if the black and white one is a Marans: they lay very dark brown eggs, don't they?

Now that my holidays are over I should have enough chicken photos to make a big photo post in the next couple of days.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What lovely round chickens :kimchi: Once they start laying it should be pretty easy to tell if the black and white one is a Marans: they lay very dark brown eggs, don't they?

Now that my holidays are over I should have enough chicken photos to make a big photo post in the next couple of days.

Yeah, they are basically calm little balls of fluff, the black ones just got a super fluffy tail end and the lighter brown one has fluffy masses for feet.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Griffball posted:

I'll just be happy to have some little dumb dinosaurs trawling our backyard for bugs.
Dumb? Don't think so. They'll have you wrapped round their claws in no time. :)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Are there any calm breeds that also happen to lay blue or green eggs?

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

Ok guys, I need to know if I'm being paranoid or if there's something I need to worry about.

Three or four days ago, one of the easter eggers started sneezing and wiping its beak on the bedding. When I picked it up and it started cheeping angrily at me, it was wheezing in kind of a fluid-y way. It's been acting like a normal chicken otherwise, so I hoped it had just gotten dust up its nose or something. It only sneezes and wheezes once in a while, but it seems to get worse under stress.

Today I pulled all the chicks out of the brooder box to clean it, and of course it involved chasing everyone around til I could grab them, and I put them in a cardboard box while I cleaned, and put their lamp on them so they didn't get a chill. The light easter egger was the only wheezy one when they went into the box (I checked butts and feet and gave a quick cuddle to everyone, with my ear close to listen to breathing). But when they went back in the brooder, both easter eggers and the little sussex were sneezy. I don't know if it's a sign of stress, or infectious illness.

They're acting perfectly normal otherwise. They run around and flap like little monsters like the rest of them, eating normally, pooping normally, drinking normally. They don't seem to be struggling to breathe, they're not lethargic, they're bright eyed and alert and very loud. They've been vaccinated against Marek's, they're on medicated chick crumble, they get apple cider vinegar in their water, and the only thing different is I gave them a box of children's play sand around the same time I noticed the first easter egger getting sneezy. I didn't wash or heat-treat the sand or anything... but that stuff is generally clean coming from the store, isn't it?

Should I worry? We picked up some powdered Duramycin (tetracycline) at the Tractor Supply, which says it treats and prevents respiratory illness in chickens. I've got injectable Duramycin too (I keep snakes, it helps for infections with them too). Should I use one of the Duramycins? Am I overreacting?

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Parts Kit posted:

Are there any calm breeds that also happen to lay blue or green eggs?

My coop is full of Americaunas and Easter Eggers. The chickens I hand-raised are fun, happy birds that lay eggs ranging from pale blue to olive green. They come running when I call- some even step up on my arm on command! I have one EE that I know is half Italian Buttercup who can be flighty, but will come to eat from my hand.

Basically, if you can find them, get some Americauna mixes (Easter Eggers) that are crosses with other large, friendly chickens. They are pretty birds with even dispositions and you with gather some lovely eggs!

Here is Ophelia and Heidi being photobombed by Blue (all americauna mixes):

And this is a typical dozen I might gather in a day:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Griffball posted:

So I've just been donated a couple of girls from a family who decided after having three eaten by their dog that they needed to do something. On the plus side I got a decent sized cage and feed with feeders for free, so that's nice. It's a big cage and on top of that they have a whole back yard they can free roam whilst we are home. No idea what breed they are.

Edit: After talking to my partner, apparently they started with 6 chickens, two guinea pigs and two rabbits. These girls are all that is left.

Both are bantam Cochins. One looks like a Barred Rock, the other a buff. Once they feel safe they should come back into lay, poor girls. Awesome little girls and my favorite breed. Very docile, calm and sweet. They will want to be in your lap all the time and make great mamas (be warned they love to go broody!

Parts Kit, like Lenswork said--Americaunas and Easter Eggers. Friendly, goofy, very fun birds. :)

snakecharmer, it could be they are sneezy from the brooder box bedding (how old are they?) combined with dust, chick dander, molted feather sheaths from new feathers coming in, etc. Generally something like Infectious Coryza (which I treat with Sulmet here in the US) has other symptoms like watery eyes/nares, sneezing, wheezing, lethargy, sitting around with eyes closed and fluffed up, rales (rattly chest when they breathe), etc. I also look for a chicken that has these symptoms and a bit of trouble with their balance (inner ear issues) when I suspect a respiratory problem like a head cold. I'm running a cool mist humidifier a few feet from my brooder box to help keep the dust down, it really seems to help.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 27, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've been looking after my parents chickens for the weekend while they're away and one of them has decided she wants to sit, despite me taking the eggs the other 2 lay. Is there anything to stop this happening or should I/we just let it happen?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Jose posted:

I've been looking after my parents chickens for the weekend while they're away and one of them has decided she wants to sit, despite me taking the eggs the other 2 lay. Is there anything to stop this happening or should I/we just let it happen?

You could block the access to the nests, but then that screws the hens that are laying. I guess you can just keep collecting the eggs and poke the sitting hen and watch her get all fluffy and angry just for fun :3:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Chido posted:

You could block the access to the nests, but then that screws the hens that are laying. I guess you can just keep collecting the eggs and poke the sitting hen and watch her get all fluffy and angry just for fun :3:

I kicked her out of the coop temporarily hoping it might stop but instead she just went and sat on the soil in front of it so I gave up and let her back in. I've been using gloves to take the eggs away though since she doesn't take kindly to being kicked off them

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Jose posted:

I kicked her out of the coop temporarily hoping it might stop but instead she just went and sat on the soil in front of it so I gave up and let her back in. I've been using gloves to take the eggs away though since she doesn't take kindly to being kicked off them

LOL! Broody hens are such stubborn, angry creatures. :D

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

Velvet Sparrow posted:

snakecharmer, it could be they are sneezy from the brooder box bedding (how old are they?) combined with dust, chick dander, molted feather sheaths from new feathers coming in, etc. Generally something like Infectious Coryza (which I treat with Sulmet here in the US) has other symptoms like watery eyes/nares, sneezing, wheezing, lethargy, sitting around with eyes closed and fluffed up, rales (rattly chest when they breathe), etc. I also look for a chicken that has these symptoms and a bit of trouble with their balance (inner ear issues) when I suspect a respiratory problem like a head cold. I'm running a cool mist humidifier a few feet from my brooder box to help keep the dust down, it really seems to help.

They're on pine shavings--the same stuff I use for my rabbits. And they're a couple of days over a week old--their feathers are starting to come in and they're certainly on the dusty/dandery side. The light easter egger has what I could call a rattly chest, but the others seem to just be sneezy. They definitely don't have balance issues--the light easter egger flapped its way onto the top of the feeder today (and took a celebratory poop into the food), and tonight it learned to roost on the edge of the cardboard sandbox.

I'll keep an eye on them for degeneration and ask again if other symptoms appear. From what I could find online, it could be anything from infectious bronchitis to a number of "OMG cull your sick ones now before it kills the whole flock" transmittable diseases. Absolutely none of the sites said that chickens can get head colds. Just the fact that they can, makes me feel better. My temps are right--I check with a temp gun periodically, but they're using the whole brood box and spread out comfortably, not huddled together--but maybe they got a chill on the hour's drive home when I picked them up last Saturday, and they've just got a little bug.

Thanks, Velvet Sparrow. I'm back to being concerned instead of panicky.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

One week old now.

Jesus' feathers are starting to come in. Still not too sure who the mother is. Gotta keep waiting and see.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Jose posted:

Pfft real men use their bare hands to deal with angry birds! :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix1pqrN5JcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nG3s6kYlmY

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Guys ohmygosh this was recently posted in the adorable thread in PYF and.. and... :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I really like camelsandfriends :kimchi: Though their Dobie's pointy ears always worry me, I should probably find out if they did that themselves. I really hope not :ohdear:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Jose posted:

Just let her be. Usually they will go broody for about three weeks (a normal egg incubation period) and then just one day say 'Meh, I'm done now' and drop it. Meanwhile she'll hardly come off the nest (eggs or not) except once in a while to eat, drink, poop and dust bathe. Don't worry about her getting enough to eat or drink, broody hens won't die of hunger or thirst or anything. She'll be fine.

Like Chido says, sit back and enjoy the Angry Show, it's awfully cute. So ferocious! :keke:

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
Who needs 5+ minutes of ridiculously cute duck bathtime?

Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TZhUPc8SNM&t=185s

/duckbuttwiggle :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

NettleSoup is running a hatch RIGHT NOW. Egg #11 has been cheeping for the past 12 hours (front row, egg furthest to the right, below egg #6).

Link to NettleSoup's webcam livestream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/testchannel007

Come by and watch the babies hatch. There's also a chat. :)

Nettlesoup's incubator is heated with a halogen lamp. The lamp shuts off now and then in order to regulate the temperature. When the bulb turns off, then the incubator is plunged into darkness for a minute or so. Then the bulb lights up again. For such a primitive incubator, it works really well!

Here's a pic of NettleSoup's eggs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:effort: Hey guys, I endorse that post. Hopefully we get some chicks at some point! 11, 14, 5 and 8 have all been known to move. I have Game of Thrones on in the background right now so avoid that if avoiding spoilers.

Also, I've set up a light outside the window, so not complete darkness!

Edit: We have a pip. Bit hard to see on cam, but it is there. :)

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 28, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I saw a beak! Also, some nice loud peeping. :) Won't be too long now!

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

After an entire night of peeping, 19 just hatched :D

The one to the right of it has been pipped and peeping for hours too.

Edit: The second egg hatched as well

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 29, 2014

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Another pic of NettleSoup's first two chicks. :3:

Also: egg #12 has just pipped!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
So surprising. Nettle's been holding out on us!

No goon-names for these chicks :argh:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Such cute baby chickens :3: They are helping to free their unhatched siblings by pecking their eggs.

If you're taking goon-names for chickens I suggest a replacement Tisiphone.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

^Says the guy with a chick named after him. If your names are good enough it'll stick!

Pips in 12, 06 and that one in the back right corner surrounded by other eggs. There may be others I just can't see.

So far we have Delicious (19), Beardy(09), Surprise(16) and Oblivious(14), Delicious and Beardy are off in their own box now, leaving behind Surprise with the orange beak/feet and Oblivious who's black all over.

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Nettle Soup posted:

So far we have Delicious (19), Beardy(09), Surprise(16) and Oblivious(14), Delicious and Beardy are off in their own box now, leaving behind Surprise with the orange beak/feet and Oblivious who's black all over.

Awww, yay!!! What was your inspiration for those names?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

"We should name one Delicious, it'd be like a Two Ronnies sketch, 'what's that chicken's name' 'it's Delicious' 'yeah but what's it's name!'"

"Haha that's a good name he has a tiny beard"

"Where the hell did that chicken come from that wasn't there a moment ago x 2"

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The next two chicks from NettleSoup's hatch. Surprise has an orange beak and Oblivious is black all over!

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
There are currently two fluffy butt dinosaurs patrolling my backyard and I don't know why that excites me so much by it did. Wings needed trimming but I wasn't sure how much and I didn't want to hurt the poor things so I only took like an inch off, how much is normal? Especially for bantams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Griffball posted:

There are currently two fluffy butt dinosaurs patrolling my backyard and I don't know why that excites me so much by it did. Wings needed trimming but I wasn't sure how much and I didn't want to hurt the poor things so I only took like an inch off, how much is normal? Especially for bantams.

This page has great wing clipping instructions along with illustrations. Aimed at parrots but clip chickens just the same way. Bantams are smaller and lighter so yeah, if you worry about them flying, clip 'em. Also pay attention to objects near fences and such that chickens can hop up onto, from there to something taller, to something taller, etc. Curiousity gets them in trouble.
http://birdmart.com/wings.html