Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Istari posted:

Ramona and Roberta (and probably a dozen others I can't currently think of) also fall into this category, and are perfectly normal names. Albertina and Thomasina, fortunately, have mostly fallen into disuse.

Carla and Daniella as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Istari posted:

Ramona and Roberta (and probably a dozen others I can't currently think of) also fall into this category, and are perfectly normal names. Albertina and Thomasina, fortunately, have mostly fallen into disuse.

I know two Thomasinas. Nigellea is another one.

Oh, how about Davina, Willena. There's loads of those, but the get more tenuous tbh
Heh, Bobette is a great one tho

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Imagined posted:

I call names like this "dad really wanted a junior". Others I've seen:

Kevina
Michaela
Stevina

Those are pretty bad. I think "Jr's" are pretty bad as well, to be honest.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Istari posted:

the female of albert is alberta and people stopped using that after victorias kid got a giant bit of land named after her

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rough Lobster posted:

What about "the third"'s?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm the third Jerry Cotton in a row and thank god we don't do that Jr. (or III) stuff here. Although when my dad gave me his car the lady at the counter kept looking at me like I was crazy and then said: "Why are you trying to transfer your own vehicle's registration to yourself?"

e: Also a co-worker once told me my name was illegal because "it's illegal to have the same name as your parents!"

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Oct 6, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Best Saints Row.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm the third Jerry Cotton in a row and thank god we don't do that Jr. (or III) stuff here. Although when my dad gave me his car the lady at the counter kept looking at me like I was crazy and then said: "Why are you trying to transfer your own vehicle's registration to yourself?"

e: Also a co-worker once told me my name was illegal because "it's illegal to have the same name as your parents!"

There's a hockey player named Jack Johnson (full name John Joseph Louis Johnson) who has the same name as his father, and grandfather.

The father has used this to steal the grandfather's home, and millions of dollars in loans in his son's name.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Talk about shaming the family name!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Husband met a Dr. Gert Kwakkel. It's probably a perfectly normal Dutch name, but I can't get over the fact that somewhere out there there's a Doctor Quackle, and he's not a cartoon duck.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

hyperhazard posted:

Husband met a Dr. Gert Kwakkel. It's probably a perfectly normal Dutch name, but I can't get over the fact that somewhere out there there's a Doctor Quackle, and he's not a cartoon duck.

I love it. That's like this guy.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
My dad's a junior and hated it so luckily I didn't end up with the middle name Francis.

in_queso_emergency
Jan 20, 2014
Was a camp counselor in college. There was a kid in my group named "Jett Mann", which isn't too weird until you find out his dad's name is "Rocket Mann".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Soon to be the senior of Plane Mann.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

in_queso_emergency posted:

Was a camp counselor in college. There was a kid in my group named "Jett Mann", which isn't too weird until you find out his dad's name is "Rocket Mann".

This is loving awesome though. I work IT for a national camp company so I basically live that Key & Peele skit daily.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

fullroundaction posted:

This is loving awesome though. I work IT for a national camp company so I basically live that Key & Peele skit daily.

Do camps attract the weirdly named or am I just not getting it? (I'm assuming the K&P sketch referred to is the football player names one.)

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Sorry should have been more clear. I run football camps specifically for high school aged guys, and the K&P thing is becoming less and less parody each season.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

fullroundaction posted:

Sorry should have been more clear. I run football camps specifically for high school aged guys, and the K&P thing is becoming less and less parody each season.

:justpost:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Here is a no effort, unedited dump from this year just based on who has an apostrophe in their first name:

code:
SELECT first_name FROM camper WHERE first_name LIKE  '%\'%'

A'Jante
D'Ante
De'Vio
Ka'Shawn
Ki'Shawn
D'Marko
D'Andre
D'Andre
Au'Braylen
Je'Mazin
De'Christopher
Ke'von
D'Andre
C'yontai
Tay'shaun
Dantre'
Ja'Leeq
De'Von
Kala' ula
La'Zhavion
Ke'von
Ja'Kobe
K'Mani
Da'Juan
Ra'Saan
Kris'Sean
Da'Quan
De'jhon
Ja'mes
D'Andre
Jy'mirr
D'Andre
Sa'id
Ra'Quon
Tre'
De'Marlow
D'Mario
Ke'Andre
Tre'von
De'Marihon
Cea'Veon
Ga'Von
De'Air
Ja'Von
Da'Shaun
Mi'cario
John  Tre'
Jevonte'
Tre'
Tre'Shon
K'Jakyre
Namuali'i
Cam'Ron
R'Mani

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

De'Christopher is amazing.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm rather taken with Ja'mes myself. A little disappointed there are none with two or more though.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Aphrodite posted:

De'Christopher is amazing.

It's better in French.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

Here is a no effort, unedited dump from this year just based on who has an apostrophe in their first name:

code:

A'Jante
D'Ante
De'Vio
Ka'Shawn
Ki'Shawn
D'Marko
D'Andre
D'Andre
Au'Braylen
Je'Mazin
De'Christopher
Ke'von
D'Andre
C'yontai
Tay'shaun
Dantre'
Ja'Leeq
De'Von
Kala' ula
La'Zhavion
Ke'von
Ja'Kobe
K'Mani
Da'Juan
Ra'Saan
Kris'Sean
Da'Quan
De'jhon
Ja'mes
D'Andre
Jy'mirr
D'Andre
Sa'id
Ra'Quon
Tre'
De'Marlow
D'Mario
Ke'Andre
Tre'von
De'Marihon
Cea'Veon
Ga'Von
De'Air
Ja'Von
Da'Shaun
Mi'cario
John  Tre'
Jevonte'
Tre'
Tre'Shon
K'Jakyre
Namuali'i
Cam'Ron
R'Mani

Has anyone tried to SQL inject you with their name yet?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

fullroundaction posted:

code:

Poor Sa'id - he doesn't deserve to be on this list. Maybe Kala'ula too, that sounds Polynesian.

R'Mani, though :yikes:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fullroundaction posted:

code:

A'Jante
D'Ante
De'Vio
Ka'Shawn
Ki'Shawn
D'Marko
D'Andre
D'Andre
Au'Braylen
Je'Mazin
De'Christopher
Ke'von
D'Andre
C'yontai
Tay'shaun
Dantre'
Ja'Leeq
De'Von
Kala' ula
La'Zhavion
Ke'von
Ja'Kobe
K'Mani
Da'Juan
Ra'Saan
Kris'Sean
Da'Quan
De'jhon
Ja'mes
D'Andre
Jy'mirr
D'Andre
Sa'id
Ra'Quon
Tre'
De'Marlow
D'Mario
Ke'Andre
Tre'von
De'Marihon
Cea'Veon
Ga'Von
De'Air
Ja'Von
Da'Shaun
Mi'cario
John  Tre'
Jevonte'
Tre'
Tre'Shon
K'Jakyre
Namuali'i
Cam'Ron
R'Mani

To be fair, Namuali'i is just a Hawaiian name (and Kala'ula is probably the same, I've never heard it myself but it parses), glottal stops--represented in English as apostrophes--are actually a phonetic consonant in Austronesian languages :eng101:

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
AIDS Williams. :eyepop:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
About 15 years ago there was a pairing of brothers called Rock and Roell Preston who played football in Canada. They were from somewhere in the United States though. On my hometown team right now, there is a Lin-J (lynne-jay), a Da'Rel and a Jamarkus.

Like other, I spent some time in Mainland China and got to witness several people there selecting their own English names. My personal favourite was a corporate recruiter who identified himself as Cookie.

I got to play that game there as well, because apparently you need a name that can be written in Chinese characters if you want a bank account so I was Bai Long, which translated to White Dragon. If you get to pick, you may as well pick something awesome.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm sorry that parents of football players are just naturally better at naming their kids, like Leviticus Payne and Silverberry Mouhon and Jazzmar Clax

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kurtofan posted:

That just makes me think of the wonderfully-named League of Legends shoutcaster Rivington Bruce Bisland III

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Antifreeze Head posted:

I got to play that game there as well, because apparently you need a name that can be written in Chinese characters if you want a bank account so I was Bai Long, which translated to White Dragon. If you get to pick, you may as well pick something awesome.

:hf:

shoulda been like dong bang tho

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Jumping in at the end of the thread here; my work deals with names everyday and we see alot. I'm not sure if this is a UK thing but get ready to see a LOT of dumb names in 10-20 years in the workplace.

I really really do not get the double-name craze here in the UK; Lexi-Mae, Noah-Jacob. I deal in customised products and some names are just mind bogglingly dumb. Like two names slapped together, not even tongue rollers just straight up two first names.

I guess there was some popular TV show which has cultivated this, as that is how most 'mainstream' crazes start (Only way is essex, etc)

edit: Lilymae, elliemae, so chavvy.

Sevalar has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Oct 9, 2015

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

fullroundaction posted:

code:

Ja'mes

Is he the token African-American Yosposter?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

M'adam, I'm A'dam.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Antifreeze Head posted:

Like other, I spent some time in Mainland China and got to witness several people there selecting their own English names. My personal favourite was a corporate recruiter who identified himself as Cookie.

This is amazing. I know a guy from Guangdong named Andy, and I know his Chinese name, but I swear I've heard people address him as Andy in both Cantonese and Mandarin. .

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

This is the littlest big forum ever.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is amazing. I know a guy from Guangdong named Andy, and I know his Chinese name, but I swear I've heard people address him as Andy in both Cantonese and Mandarin. .

Andy works since there are Chinese words close enough to get you there. Same with Danny... and probably other names that don't end in Y. Most Chinese words end in a vowel sound, those that don't are pretty much G's and N's. Many western names end with a consonant, so sometimes that just gets dropped so a name like Peter becomes Pea-Ta. That works well if you have to fight off kids from neighbouring communities so people in your district will be given more food, I guess. My name has a "th" which isn't even a sound made in (I think) any of the many forms of Chinese, so I had extra free reign.

There was someone at the company I was at for a while who claimed to go by the name Budda Half-Quantum prior to working there, but I only knew him as Colin, so I don't really count that one.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Alaois posted:

I'm sorry that parents of football players are just naturally better at naming their kids, like Leviticus Payne and Silverberry Mouhon and Jazzmar Clax

It's tough to beat Plaxico Burress too

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, there's a man named D'Brickashaw.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Uh, there's a man named D'Brickashaw.

sorry, i love D'Brickishaw Ferguson but even that can't beat Raekwon McMillan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing