Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Digital_Jesus posted:

That'd work if your bikes ran longer than 3 days before you need to have them stolen for insurance purposes.

Every time you make a payment to your insurance company I hope you visualize me out there having fun, bitch. :c00lbutt:

Marxalot posted:

This works pretty good vs highway drunks at 1AM.

Also what Digital underscore Jesus said.

If drinking made a Honda Civic go fast I would start driving one again. :tinsley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

nsaP posted:

1 mirror crew sound off

1 mirror 0 problems

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Hello mr wrecker man I would like RED AND BLACK left hand fairings and a RIGHT HANDLEBAR is that something you can do?"

"Yeahyeahyeahyeahyeah nno problem mate I'll send them straight away!"

And that is the story of how I now have a nice set of blue and white fairings and a left hand handlebar.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

"Hello mr wrecker man I would like RED AND BLACK left hand fairings and a RIGHT HANDLEBAR is that something you can do?"

And that is the story of how I now have a nice set of blue and white fairings and a left hand handlebar.

Obvious solution - buy blue and white bike, crash on left side.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Breaking: New Zealand not only on wrong side of planet but also literal bizarro world.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And the whole point of getting them from a wrecker was to be faster than getting then from Honda because time is more important than money with this bike. So much for that.

We're bizarro world cause a cbr125 is somehow worth $2500.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 18, 2016

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Breaking: New Zealand not only on wrong side of planet but also literal bizarro world.

My friend just got back from a month and a half there and said it was p. cool, all the people were laid back. Except one nut that he saw tearing rear end around the island on a red dirt bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

We're bizarro world cause a cbr125 is somehow worth $2500.

Nah man that's about what I paid for my cbf125. (2500nzd = 1130gbp)

If I'd had even a hair more riding experience at the time I'd have slogged it down to London and nabbed one for half that. Small bike prices up north are loving insane for some reason.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nah man that's about what I paid for my cbf125. (2500nzd = 1130gbp)

If I'd had even a hair more riding experience at the time I'd have slogged it down to London and nabbed one for half that. Small bike prices up north are loving insane for some reason.

It's weird because you can start riding on anything up to 650 here, provided the power:weight is below a certain amount so there is no incentive whatsoever to get a 125 besides price. And you can get random aircooled commuters for 1500 or less but somehow a Honda badge and a full fairing doubles the price despite it still having bicycle tyres and 13hp.

To whit: I got mine in badly dilapidated condition for a grand and I'm confident that even after spending a few hundred cleaning it up and then riding it for a few months every day I'll still walk away with a profit. It's a ridiculous amount of money for so little.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

nsaP posted:

My friend just got back from a month and a half there and said it was p. cool, all the people were laid back. Except one nut that he saw tearing rear end around the island on a red dirt bike.

I went for a ride in NZ and got hit by nine purses.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Slavvy posted:

My wreckers story was I went to pick up some replacement parts for my kx-60 when I was a kid with my dad and the guy there gave me some tips about how to beat up a bully at school. It was basically "punch him as hard as you can in the face and then when he goes down kick him JUST ONCE in the stomach."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The two guys that nicked my bike have been arrested and charged. No sign of the bike, but that's the insurance company's problem now, so this is about the best possible outcome (well at least until they go to trial, and the copper I've been dealing with has promised to let me know when that comes up - might even be worth a day-trip to go sit in the visitor's gallery).

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The two guys that nicked my bike have been arrested and charged. No sign of the bike, but that's the insurance company's problem now, so this is about the best possible outcome (well at least until they go to trial, and the copper I've been dealing with has promised to let me know when that comes up - might even be worth a day-trip to go sit in the visitor's gallery).

That's awesome. Did they give you any information on how they were caught? Since they apparently weren't in possession of the bike, how did they tie your bike to them?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Should a centre stand really cost over $300? I live in Canada and that's what they seem to cost for my bike. Yamaha OEM and SW Motech are both like $330. That seems crazy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

VERTiG0 posted:

Should a centre stand really cost over $300? I live in Canada and that's what they seem to cost for my bike. Yamaha OEM and SW Motech are both like $330. That seems crazy.

Stock centerstands are goofy expensive. They typically go for at least $100 on eBay and get snatched up fast. Best bet is used in an owner's forum.

What bike?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Presumably because a) they're unique for a given bike and b) all welded, almost certainly by hand.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Stock centerstands are goofy expensive. They typically go for at least $100 on eBay and get snatched up fast. Best bet is used in an owner's forum.

What bike?

Yamaha FZ-07/MT-07.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

That's awesome. Did they give you any information on how they were caught? Since they apparently weren't in possession of the bike, how did they tie your bike to them?

They'd gave me quite a bit of information, but it's all sub judice at the moment so I can't say any more than that they're really, really confident they've got the right people. Once the trial's over I'll share the whole hilarious tale.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

VERTiG0 posted:

Yamaha FZ-07/MT-07.

Ha! Yeah, I bet you have to wait 10 years before there's much of a price drop on those.

Centerstands for my XJ600 go for at least $100+ on Ebay in the US. We sell them around on the owners group forum for about $50 - $75 and it's the one part always guaranteed to sell.

While there's probably not a direct swap out there, there may be one of similar dimensions that can be modified a bit to fit if you have access to cutting and welding equipment. The FZ6R stand looks similar. Centerstands are loving awesome.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 1, 2016

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I guess I'm hosed then eh? Gonna have to pay the piper.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Or front and rear track stands for ~100 bucks?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah you can get paddock stands for cheap. Not as convenient as a center stand but useful nonetheless.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I am so goddamn sick of craigslist, every idiot who is selling a bike is so unreliable. I drove an hour and a half each way to jersey to go get a bike and it was sold when I showed up. I was trying to buy another bike and the dude said 3,000 miles but it really had 30,000 and the whole thing was sketchy and the bike was probably stolen. Every DRZ400sm is not really an SM. Today I just texted someone about a cheap f4i and they told me to email their sister since it was her bike and he just put the ad up? huh? Oh and he just posted a 300X300 pic of just the back half of the bike, great.
Prices are completely all over the place and mostly outrageous, really frustrating.
I've just about given up and I think I'll just fly+ride to a dealer to stop dealing with all this bullshit.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For me the key to Craigslist is verbal contact; initial email to make sure there's a human on the other end, and then a voice call to set up the deal and make sure they aren't a complete flake. If the seller doesn't want to talk on the phone for a minute, I'm not gonna pursue it.

Maybe you're looking at the too-good-to-be-true ads? Do you ask specifically about title status? If the answer to that is anything other than "clean and clear, no lien" then walk away.

Also, I might sound like a broken record on this one, but it works: want ad. Put what you're looking for and the price you are willing to pay in the ad. It can work and when it does it takes so much searching and refreshing and negotiating out of the search; sellers come to you.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Voltage posted:

I am so goddamn sick of craigslist, every idiot who is selling a bike is so unreliable. I drove an hour and a half each way to jersey to go get a bike and it was sold when I showed up. I was trying to buy another bike and the dude said 3,000 miles but it really had 30,000 and the whole thing was sketchy and the bike was probably stolen. Every DRZ400sm is not really an SM. Today I just texted someone about a cheap f4i and they told me to email their sister since it was her bike and he just put the ad up? huh? Oh and he just posted a 300X300 pic of just the back half of the bike, great.
Prices are completely all over the place and mostly outrageous, really frustrating.
I've just about given up and I think I'll just fly+ride to a dealer to stop dealing with all this bullshit.

Like most things, it's the shitheads that ruin it for everyone. I've sold 6 bikes on CL now, and the experience has ranged from effortless to insanely frustrating. Invariably, the person that is the most polite and easy to deal with is the one that buys the bike. Everyone else is not serious about it and will waste your time. You learn to sniff them out pretty early on in the conversation. I sold a VFR750 last spring listed at $3000 in preparation to be lowballed. A gentleman from 2 hours away contacted me one Saturday morning, told me he'd be there at 2:00PM. He shows up at exactly at 2 with a trailer and his son, takes a look at the bike and sees it is exactly as described and says "I'll take it". No negotiation, $3k cash, done.

For buying from CL, I must admit I've been lucky enough to not have someone flake out after I drive several hours, or grossly misrepresent the bike. I attribute most of this to, believe it or not, midwestern people being honest and friendly. If you are driving a long distance, try to have another bike or 2 in the area lined up in case the first one falls through.

e: double what Clutchpuck said, do a wanted ad. It really does work.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gorson posted:

Invariably, the person that is the most polite and easy to deal with is the one that buys the bike. Everyone else is not serious about it and will waste your time. You learn to sniff them out pretty early on in the conversation.

You're on point. Talking on the phone with the seller is a real quick way for me to judge this.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I've never really had this issue when buying/selling cars/computer stuff, bikes just seem to bring out an extra level of stupid. Either that or its NYC, craigslist in upstate NY never really seemed to give me as much trouble.

I'll definitely throw up a wanted ad, can't hurt I guess.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Voltage posted:

I've never really had this issue when buying/selling cars/computer stuff, bikes just seem to bring out an extra level of stupid. Either that or its NYC, craigslist in upstate NY never really seemed to give me as much trouble.

I'll definitely throw up a wanted ad, can't hurt I guess.

I would put up a wanted ad on advrider too, that's my go-to place for used bike stuff because it's all crotchety old dudes who hate the internet and love their bike and care more about being able to put ADV stickers on the GS than on scamming youngsters on the internet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's all about feeling out the situation on the phone. I want them to give at least a little bit of a poo poo about something relating to the bike. Doesn't really matter what it is, they just have to have something rattling around in their head that they consider meaningful.

Besides that, it's email once with a phone number and a request to set up a time to see the bike, email a second time if they don't respond and I really want the bike, a maximum of 2 phone calls, and then it's on to the next one. Your goal should always be to figure out if this buyer/seller is a flake or not as quickly as possible with a minimum of effort.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

quote:

Yeah its on before I start the bike when I turn the key one click. The Neutral, engine, and oil, lights are on with the key turned back. The injectors or whatever whines for a few seconds and the engine light turns off but oil light stays on..however when I start it the oil light goes out. that's normal? new to my buell!

hahaha :negative:

My computer runs just fine in I mode but it doesn't work at all in O mode.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

clutchpuck posted:

hahaha :negative:

My computer runs just fine in I mode but it doesn't work at all in O mode.

Hit the turbo button.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Man this board is dead at night. Slavvy must be at work

What's up Slav, your bike sucks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Man this board is dead at night. Slavvy must be at work

What's up Slav, your bike sucks.

I had a really good day today because I rode the CBR125 to work and after fixing the backward front tyre it was loving awesome so.....:shrug:

Also I'm going to a loving badass street race tomorrow + hiking in a part of NZ that looks like the postcards so I'm really pretty stoked and not my usual self at all.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Slavvy posted:

Also I'm going to a loving badass street race tomorrow + hiking in a part of NZ that looks like the postcards so I'm really pretty stoked and not my usual self at all.

Where at? This sounds awesome and I want pictures.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Paeroa's 'battle of the streets' wherein a stretch of state highway/main street and a few side streets are cordoned off into a circuit for all and sundry classes. There will be pics rest assured.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Going to see a nearly-new Monster tomorrow. Gonna go ahead and assume it'll be worth buying because after two weeks of bright-but-cold weather...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:britain:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I'm always amused by seeing people in the UK having a whinge about rain when here in the American northwest we get roughly double the annual rainfall (the pacific coast, about a hundred miles west of me, gets roughly twice the annual rainfall of northern Scotland).

Harden up, lads.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HotCanadianChick posted:

having a whinge
said the American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hot Canadian Chick you have no idea how much pleasure I get from you buying a 250.