Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

As a lawyer, same.

Hail fellow child of lies

CestMoi posted:

If you do not have a strong grasp of mathematics and its place in the Western philosophical tradition then I am afraid you are not allowed to post in this thread.

I remember finding out my university had a philosophy of math class I could take for math credits instead of Algebra II. It owned.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Or A Frolic of his Own

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember finding out my university had a philosophy of math class I could take for math credits instead of Algebra II. It owned.

My philosophy prof "invited" me to take this class after I said that math was based on logic. Or that logic came before math? I can't remember, but apparently this is something they haven't been able to prove. I didn't care enough to take the class though.

But if it makes you feel better, a lot of the actually useful equations that we use don't have solutions, so we come up with approximate "good enough" answers, and there's a lot of subjectivity behind that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Flattened Spoon posted:

My philosophy prof "invited" me to take this class after I said that math was based on logic. Or that logic came before math? I can't remember, but apparently this is something they haven't been able to prove. I didn't care enough to take the class though.

But if it makes you feel better, a lot of the actually useful equations that we use don't have solutions, so we come up with approximate "good enough" answers, and there's a lot of subjectivity behind that.

It was a cool class. It was taught by a pre-Second Gulf War Iraqi refugee with a doctorate in mathematics and it was basically about how the Muslims invented all math.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

I would prefer to read a book about actual mathematics, or the biography of a real mathematician.
Let me use this opportunity to recommend Winfried Scharlauer's Who Is Alexander Grothendieck? Part 1: Anarchy, the first in a three part biography about one of the greatest contemporary mathematician who also had an interesting life and personality to say the least. It focuses on his parents and how his upbringing relates to Grothendieck's life and work. The third part is about his turn to spirituality and has not yet been translated to English, the second part which focuses on his mathematical work has not been released as of now. Although Scharlauer is a mathematician himself, I found his writing pretty ok and he can talk about anything math related with a certain authority.
I have never read a novel that did a good job at portraying a mathematicians work and after skimming some reviews I am kind of curious whether A Doubter's Almanac has managed this. Not sure if I am curious enough to check it out anytime soon though.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It was a cool class. It was taught by a pre-Second Gulf War Iraqi refugee with a doctorate in mathematics and it was basically about how the Muslims invented all math.

They stole the numbers from the Indians actually.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Math, Physics, Law, and Economics: Things people outside the discipline believe are rigorous and exact and people inside the discipline wish were.

One time while reviewing a local municipality's criminal codes I discovered that by a plain reading they'd banned playing football at football games, punishable by a $300 fine per pass.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 23, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Al-Jabr

Drogue Chronicle
Feb 23, 2016

by Cowcaster

CestMoi posted:

And right wingers dedicated to the pure, unbiased search for truth tell me a lot of the "Muslims" doing work here were crypto-Jews or Zoroastrians living under Muslim rule.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

true.spoon posted:

Let me use this opportunity to recommend Winfried Scharlauer's Who Is Alexander Grothendieck? Part 1: Anarchy, the first in a three part biography about one of the greatest contemporary mathematician who also had an interesting life and personality to say the least. It focuses on his parents and how his upbringing relates to Grothendieck's life and work. The third part is about his turn to spirituality and has not yet been translated to English, the second part which focuses on his mathematical work has not been released as of now. Although Scharlauer is a mathematician himself, I found his writing pretty ok and he can talk about anything math related with a certain authority.
I have never read a novel that did a good job at portraying a mathematicians work and after skimming some reviews I am kind of curious whether A Doubter's Almanac has managed this. Not sure if I am curious enough to check it out anytime soon though.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

blue squares posted:

If you haven't taken a formal logic class then welcome to my ignore list

I only took philosophy intro but I'm probably on your ignore list already so I guess I'll just mock you in this post but actually I'm too tired bye

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

If you haven't taken a formal logic class then welcome to my ignore list

Does this mean that if I'm on your ignore list I haven't taken a formal logic class?

I may have failed my formal logic class.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Did anyone else hear a faint voice in the wind that cried "feminazis!" before being suddenly silenced?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cloks posted:

Does this mean that if I'm on your ignore list I haven't taken a formal logic class?

I may have failed my formal logic class.

No you have your syllogism wrong

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

No you have your syllogism wrong

:thejoke:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ever since I finished the last book I was reading (Everything I Never Told You), I've been bouncing from book to book and finding it very hard to stay interested in any one thing. Not sure why. I tried some more exciting things but they still didn't grab me.

So I opened up Book 2 of My Struggle. I finished Book 1 maybe a year ago and I forgot just how captivating this series is. The subject matter is so simple, but I just can't stop reading.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

Ever since I finished the last book I was reading (Everything I Never Told You), I've been bouncing from book to book and finding it very hard to stay interested in any one thing. Not sure why. I tried some more exciting things but they still didn't grab me.

So I opened up Book 2 of My Struggle. I finished Book 1 maybe a year ago and I forgot just how captivating this series is. The subject matter is so simple, but I just can't stop reading.

I just started Book 2 myself, and I'm hoping it's not too much to ask for it to rival the first one.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

I would prefer to read a book about actual mathematics, or the biography of a real mathematician.

read one of those Paul Erdős biographies, he was cool

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
Just finished John Williams' three novels. Probably my favourite author. Does anyone know of anything stylistically similar?

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Do we talk about historical novels in here? The War of the Roses is something I've been learning about recently and so yesterday picked up The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman. Has anyone else read this book or have any other recommendations for British historical novels?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

krampster2 posted:

Do we talk about historical novels in here? The War of the Roses is something I've been learning about recently and so yesterday picked up The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman. Has anyone else read this book or have any other recommendations for British historical novels?

I just read Wolf Hall and it was super rad, about Thomas Cromwell advising Henry VIII while he was trying to ditch his first wife and marry Anne Boleyn.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to get realer after that, I recommend Vacant Possession also by Mantell.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The General in His Labyrinth is pretty rad, also.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Guy A. Person posted:

I just read Wolf Hall and it was super rad, about Thomas Cromwell advising Henry VIII while he was trying to ditch his first wife and marry Anne Boleyn.

I read this a couple years ago and had a good time with it. Although I've still yet to get around to reading the sequel. I should buy that sometime.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The General in His Labyrinth is pretty rad, also.
I strongly recommend reading up a little bit on Bolivar first though, just to have some general background. There're a lot of references to historical events that probably are well-known if you went to school anywhere in that part of South America but I had to at least skim some articles to get the right context for some of the referenced events (most of which happen some years in the past of the novel's present).

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'm trying to step up my historical novel reading to above the level of Ken Follett.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Death of Virgil is my favourite 'historical novel'

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

A human heart posted:

The Death of Virgil is my favourite 'historical novel'
I've never seen anyone under 70 recommend that one before

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mallamp posted:

I've never seen anyone under 70 recommend that one before

that's because you're gbs

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The Iliad is the best historical novel.

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
Threads not a fan of John Williams huh? It tends to get overshadowed by The Magic Mountain but Thomas Mann's Joseph and his Brothers is the best thing he ever wrote and it's historical.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

iccyelf posted:

It tends to get overshadowed by The Magic Mountain but Thomas Mann's Joseph and his Brothers is the best thing he ever wrote and it's historical.

Thomas Mann's best work is Doctor Faustus. Joseph and His Brothers is a monstrosity.

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

Bandiet posted:

Thomas Mann's best work is Doctor Faustus. Joseph and His Brothers is a monstrosity.

Cool. No accounting for taste, I guess.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

iccyelf posted:

Just finished John Williams' three novels. Probably my favourite author. Does anyone know of anything stylistically similar?

I can't help you unfortunately but I can say I looooved Stoner. Just read it last week. Planning on picking up Butchers Crossing next, then finishing with Augustus. His style sorta reminded me of realist authors of the early 20th century like Stephen Crane or Jack London, which was appropriate since the story started off round that time period.

I'm about a sixth of the way into Ulysses right now, my first time reading it. Eased in with Dubliners and Portrait of an Artist, both of which I loved. So far it's living up to the hype. Leopold Bloom's chapters are really helping me appreciate the little things in my own life, lame as that sounds.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I'm about a sixth of the way into Ulysses right now, my first time reading it. Eased in with Dubliners and Portrait of an Artist, both of which I loved. So far it's living up to the hype. Leopold Bloom's chapters are really helping me appreciate the little things in my own life, lame as that sounds.

I'm rereading it too, and I've (re-)discovered this beautiful bit. You might not have come up to it yet, it's Episode 9. Previously I found this chapter boring, but weirdly it speaks to me a lot more now. It's Stephen talking about Shakespeare. It's one of the moments where he makes the most sense.

quote:

Maeterlinck says: If Socrates leave his house today he will find the sage seated on his doorstep. If Judas go forth tonight it is to Judas his steps will tend. Every life is many days, day after day. We walk through ourselves, meeting robbers, ghosts, giants, old men, young men, wives, widows, brothers-in-love, but always meeting ourselves.

It's not as funny this go-round, oddly, I find it a lot more melancholy. A lot of death and failed relationships.

edit: Also, did historical novel guy get Name of the Rose recommended to him?

Jrbg fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 29, 2016

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

J_RBG posted:

I'm rereading it too, and I've (re-)discovered this beautiful bit. You might not have come up to it yet, it's Episode 9. Previously I found this chapter boring, but weirdly it speaks to me a lot more now. It's Stephen talking about Shakespeare. It's one of the moments where he makes the most sense.

It's not as funny this go-round, oddly, I find it a lot more melancholy. A lot of death and failed relationships.

edit: Also, did historical novel guy get Name of the Rose recommended to him?

Interestingly enough, I had just left off at the start of chapter 9 today (would've been up for reading more if it was a Bloom chapter, but didn't have a Stephen chapter in me). I'll probably check back in about it tomorrow. I do love reading Stephen's stuff; can't help but chuckle at some of his somber moments considering what a little horndog he was in parts of Portrait.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Sorry for the double post, but I've just finished chapter 9 (as you can see I'm taking it rather slowly) and it was excellent. It was interesting to see just how much more focused Stephen is when talking about literature, and just how much of his analysis was pulled from his own experiences.

The section you quoted had struck me on its own but really jumped at me in context. I feel like it's a statement of what I feel the novel's theme is so far - that every person we see every single ordinary day is a full person going through their own struggles, but we see them as a reflection of ourselves. Since they see everything the same way, everyone is truly connected in this profound way.

Not to mention that in context he brings both Shakespeare creating many characters from himself and a few others, and even God (the Son is the Father is the Holy Spirit etc), implicitly equating the creative to a god.

Could be totally off base but that's how I read it. drat I love this book

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Uh, I just had a sensible, well-read friend of mine return my copy of The Name of the Rose I had loaned him, saying he had to give up after 50 pages because he couldn't take how superficial it was, and then he said it seemed along the same lines as the DaVinci Code.

I think he gave me an aneurysm. All I could say was, " Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt?? Nooooooooooooooooo," and then my face went numb and my head hurt really bad.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Your friend burned you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Might be a friendship ender.