Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/LTCPeterLerner/...90%7Ctwterm%5E1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
But big brother America bombs other countries, why would anyone mind if Israel just starts doing it?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn posted:

But big brother America bombs other countries, why would anyone mind if Israel just starts doing it?

They shot down an Iranian drone that allegedly violated Israeli airspace, and then targeted Iranian positions in Syria afterwards in response. That's when the jet was shot down. Israel says that Syrian air defenses were responsible for the missile, but they're still only really hitting Hezbollah and Iran atm from the sound of things.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Israeli journalists are reporting that the IAF is now attacking multiple anti-air sites in Syrian territory.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone seen anything about a strike inside Israel? I have not. There's reports floating around that the sirens were due to the potential fall of debris from anti-aircraft missiles. I'm sure the anti air fire is continuing, but I think Syria might just wait this thing out and then neener neener about shooting down the jet when things cool off a bit.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/DannyNis/status/962237632616042496?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

That's not out of the question, because

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/962234356617175041?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did the escalation just ramp up recently? Did it start after the indictment recommendation?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RandomPauI posted:

Did the escalation just ramp up recently? Did it start after the indictment recommendation?

3 or 4 hours ago the Iranian drone was shot down and that was the spark.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So far trivia's sake, the last time an Israeli aircraft was downed was 12 years ago during the 2nd Lebanon War, CH-53 Sea Stallion carrying 5 crew members who all died in the crash.

I don't think a jet plane was actually downed since 1973 where 5 Israeli jets were downed.

In 1988 the plane navigated by Ron Arad crashed over Lebanon but the official story was that it was due to a mechanical failure in the plane itself.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/962345584001716226

Translation:

"Colonel (Res.) Kobi Regev in the News10 studio: "In none of the attacks in Syria in the last 24 hours did IDF aircraft leave Israeli airspace"

Yeah, and in none of the rocket attacks from Gaza do militants leave Gazan ground space. :rolleyes:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

The IDF has been quietly bombing Syria on and off for a while now, but the shootdown is new and happened after the indictment. Not sure if this strike was much bigger than previous ones. Something like this was bound to happen eventually - the IDF is too used to just having total air superiority and bombing everything with impunity. There did seem to be more sirens than really necessary, though.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I'm the "iranian drone" that started all this; are there any pictures of it? Because :lol: if they traded an F16 for a DJI Phantom.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Harik posted:

I'm the "iranian drone" that started all this; are there any pictures of it? Because :lol: if they traded an F16 for a DJI Phantom.

The Israeli press says it is this:

Allegedly based on the American drone that crash landed in Iran back in 2011.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That's a real one then. Still not worth losing an F-16 over, but enough to be a provocation. All the photos are of the F-16 crash site, and I haven't had time this morning to go digging.

Are there exact locations of the incidents yet? Haaretz is saying "Israeli Territory" but that could mean internationally-recognized Israel or the occupied zones or the disputed Golan Heights.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Drone Wars

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Israeli jet fell in Israel near Harduf, I don't know where the drone was downed but as it was allegedly recovered I think it's safe to say it was also above Israeli territory, IDF claims it spent a minute and a half within Israeli airspace before being taken down by an Apache.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Harik posted:

That's a real one then. Still not worth losing an F-16 over, but enough to be a provocation. All the photos are of the F-16 crash site, and I haven't had time this morning to go digging.

Are there exact locations of the incidents yet? Haaretz is saying "Israeli Territory" but that could mean internationally-recognized Israel or the occupied zones or the disputed Golan Heights.

Seems kind of silly to portray it as trading an F-16 for a drone when there have been over 100 successful missions flown since 2011. Air defense always has a boxers chance. It's just the nature of the beast. The US lost one of its own high end bombers to a ghetto piece of poo poo in the Balkans.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh and before I'm accused of alternative facts it turns out that the last time an Israeli jet was downed was 1982, not 1973.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Seems kind of silly to portray it as trading an F-16 for a drone when there have been over 100 successful missions flown since 2011. Air defense always has a boxers chance. It's just the nature of the beast. The US lost one of its own high end bombers to a ghetto piece of poo poo in the Balkans.

True, but for what it's worth Israel's showing Syrian air defenses (and/or those of the Russians in the country) a hell of a lot more respect than we showed Serbian air defenses. They're mostly launching long distance strikes from outside Syrian airspace, whereas we assumed our stealth planes were invincible and didn't even bother switching up their routes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/962788527217037314

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/963150744764469248

quote:

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas told Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday he could no longer accept the role of the United States as a mediator in talks with Israel because of Washington’s behavior, the Interfax news agency reported.

“We state that from now on we refuse to cooperate in any form with the U.S. in its status of a mediator, as we stand against its actions,” Abbas told Putin at the start of talks in Moscow.

Abbas was quoted as saying he wanted an expanded new mediation mechanism to replace the Middle East Quartet.

“For instance, ‘the quartet’ plus some other countries like the model used to achieve the deal on Iran,” Abbas said, referring to international talks about Tehran’s nuclear program.

Abbas and his allies were left furious in December when U.S. President Donald Trump reversed decades of U.S. policy to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and set in motion the process of moving the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kushners got this.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Volkerball posted:

Kushners got this.

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/963055251933843456

He sure is working hard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

White House 3 weeks from now: "Settlements were a matter of great conflict in the negotiation of a two state solution so President Trump and Jared Kushner very bravely took that matter out of the equation. If Palestine won't negotiate for peace now I don't know what it will take. Do we need to poison their children and offer up an antidote with a deadline? Jared's working on that one."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spoiler alert: Netanyahu was lying so hard, even the US had to point that out:

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/963083673330384896

Top US official to News10: We did not receive any annexation proposal from the US government and naturally did not agree to such.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thread.

https://twitter.com/LahavHarkov/status/963447339351531521?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Israeli media are now saying that the indictments in both cases (1000 and 2000) are about to go out, and Netanyahu is going to address the country in about 10 minutes.

Chance of resignation: 0.000%

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah he's already said he's not going anywhere. What a piece of poo poo.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

the twin indictments have hit...

WATCH NETANYAHU START A loving WAR

I doubt this will actually happen but who knows I guess

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sorry to bum ya'll but these are only 'recommendations for indictments', only the Attorney General, who was a personal appointment by Netanyahu, can file an indictment here.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

How wild would it be if they actually did though

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sorry to bum ya'll but these are only 'recommendations for indictments', only the Attorney General, who was a personal appointment by Netanyahu, can file an indictment here.

Nice separation of powers, very nice.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

Nice separation of powers, very nice.

Nonsense, it's a parliamentary system.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/LahavHarkov/status/963838836240453633?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Reading some Israeli FB comments, I'm actually pretty surprised by the millennial support of Netanyahu.

From other things I read on rent/economy protests, I'd figured opinion would be more sour. Oh well.

V thanks for the perspective.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 14, 2018

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Israel is divided geographically and demographically, not so much generationally. In Israel political association is a lot like sports fandom, people are likely to stick to the team their father rooted for.

The rent/cottage-cheese protests have spread around a bit but they were still mostly a "Tel-Aviv Thing".

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The rent/cottage-cheese protests have spread around a bit but they were still mostly a "Tel-Aviv Thing".

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't everything typically "Tel-Aviv vs the rest of the country"?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't everything typically "Tel-Aviv vs the rest of the country"?

It's often painted that way I guess, I think it's similar to the states in the sense that Tel-Aviv is populated by the wealthy left-leaning types and a lot of the right wing rhetoric revolves around "the decadent elites from Tel-Aviv".

As always there's right wingers and left wingers everywhere, but Tel-Aviv is very much an enclave of Labor and Meretz, in my neighborhood Meretz got an astounding 60% for instance (compared to 4% nationally), so yeah.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 14, 2018

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

a lot of the right wing rhetoric revolves around "the decadent elites from Tel-Aviv".
What do you guys have in lieu of anti-semitic undertones when the right talks about decadent elites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

What do you guys have in lieu of anti-semitic undertones when the right talks about decadent elites?

Antisemitic undertones.