Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Weltlich posted:

Oh drat I know what you can do with those 'chovies.

Cod-liver and Anchovie Pâté

No, seriously. Listen. Anchovies are basically sardine bacon, so treat them like that.

1/2 lb Cod Liver
1/4 lb Anchovies, chopped
3 fat cloves of garlic, crushed and minced
1/2 a small yellow onion, minced
2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped fine
2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped fine
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Butter
Oil*

In a pan, put a little butter and start sauteeing the onion until it begins to caramelize. Then put in the garlic, thyme, rosemary, and pepper - continue to sautee until fragrant. Remove from heat.

In a food processor, put the cod liver, anchovies, and sautee'd onion and herbs. Lock down the lid and begin to pulse mixture.

While pulsing, drizzle in a little oil until it's the proper texture - a fine paste.

Use a spatula to transfer into whatever container you want to keep it in. Spread it on crackers, bagels, whatever. Enjoy.

(*) You can use whatever oil you want for this. You could even reserve the cod liver oil or the oil the anchovies are packed in. Olive or avacado oil would be good neutral flavors. Coconut oil would work well, but would create a firmer pâté texture when chilled.

How will this not be salty as gently caress? A 1/4 lbs of anchovies seems like it would be ridiculously salty unless the fat from the cod liver and sweetness from the onions somehow cuts it a lot???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're probably spreading it fine, not slathering it on

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

How will this not be salty as gently caress? A 1/4 lbs of anchovies seems like it would be ridiculously salty unless the fat from the cod liver and sweetness from the onions somehow cuts it a lot???

Oh yeah, this is going to be salty, no doubt about it. This is something you'd want thin on a cracker, or maybe a little thicker on some dense black bread.

Feel free to adjust the anchovy/cod-liver ratio as you want though!

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
As I've mentioned previously I'm from the region where Bruns dines are caught and canned and I think I found new ones? Anyone else seen these?

Gonna use them in my meal prep for this week

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Whole Foods was selling mussel meats. So of course I bought them. Once Fall sets in it’s chowder time. Probably add a can of smoked mussels or oysters too.

Any other uses for mussels? I usually just eat them out of the shell.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Mussels good in paella & bouillabaisse.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Whole Foods was selling mussel meats. So of course I bought them. Once Fall sets in it’s chowder time. Probably add a can of smoked mussels or oysters too.

Any other uses for mussels? I usually just eat them out of the shell.

I love a rich, spicy, tomatoey frutta di mare with mussels, shrimp, scallops, calamari, any shellfish I can get, plus some spicy sausage in there too, over linguini. But the mussels are the best part of it.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
They're really good in asian dishes. Mussels, Broccoli, and garlic stir fried with a soy or coconut amino sauce is really tasty.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Drunken Mussels, prepared in white wine, is pretty standard but really good

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Had a crack at those "steaks". Looks like a way of Bruns packing more, smaller dines into a can. There are more fish in here than Bruns normally does.

Here's both cans dumped out.

No comment on taste because they're the soya oil and spring water ones - I would normally use these dines in recipes anyway rather than eating over a sink in my underwear at 3 AM like a real dad.
I covered mine in tarragon and lemon because I was meal prepping for work with fish for this week anyway and decided to toss the dines in with what I was making.

I will say they're good with lemon. Turns out they're bone-in but they really softened in the oven.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

God drat I want those small fishes in my mouth.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Sometimes I eat plain anchovies on their own. In fact, I’m kind of craving some now.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

ferroque posted:

God drat I want those small fishes in my mouth.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

mouth too full of fish to scream

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What are you meant to do with springwater sardines? They're not very tasty. :I

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

cook with them

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Make tuna salad, but with ‘dines.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
slather them with colman's mustard

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Synthbuttrange posted:

I normally use them when I want to incorporate dines as the meat in a meal, but I don't want a pre-sauced dine. They get a lot of flak if you eat them on their own but I keep them around as a blank slate.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
DFW goons, is there anywhere in the north DFW area to get the KO Peppercorn dines? I don't want to get them through Amazon, but I haven't found them in the dozens of stores I have checked.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My 5 year old son asked for 'sardines and cabbage' in a roll for his lunch.

gettin' him started young :getin:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is spinach.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I know.

a) cabbage in a sandwich is gross

b) i didn't have any anyway

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Bardeh posted:

My 5 year old son asked for 'sardines and cabbage' in a roll for his lunch.

gettin' him started young :getin:

Raising him right! What kinda dines here?

betcha gave him lovely discount dines to save the KOs for yourself. didn't you? DIDN'T YOU??

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I...I kept the nicer ones with olives in for myself. But it's OK, he doesn't even like olives! They're John West Skippers (UK brand) - not terrible, not the best.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Bardeh posted:

I...I kept the nicer ones with olives in for myself. But it's OK, he doesn't even like olives! They're John West Skippers (UK brand) - not terrible, not the best.

Hi, child protection services? Bardeh is feeding their child lovely dines.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So being new to the 'Dine Scene. And kindve late in the thread but whats the best way to save money on these little sea candys in bulk? is amazon still the best option it looks like?
And after starting on KO are there any dines that come close but are cheaper? There were cheaper other brands but im not sure how how the taste to money spent ratio works just yet.

Sentinel fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 28, 2018

naem
May 29, 2011

Sentinel posted:

So being new to the 'Dine Scene. And kindve late in the thread but whats the best way to save money on these little sea candys in bulk? is amazon still the best option it looks like?
And after starting on KO are there any dines that come close but are cheaper? There were cheaper other brands but im not sure how how the taste to money spent ratio works just yet.

KO are so good that it’s hard to compare them to anything else readily available out there.

Maybe buy a a tin of each the brands and types and try them all out and then go look for bulk deals

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Elea posted:

I've found sardines are a good way to actually use this big lemon balm plant I've got. Mixing it into cream cheese and using eating it with sardines and crackers is really good. I guess pestos for fish dishes is one of the main uses for it.

:chanpop:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I got these while in Chicago.
I said "Ok"

naem
May 29, 2011

forgot I bought these at a dollar store, beach cliff are consistently the least expensive brand and I was like yeah let’s

Not bad? Not good but not at all bad either. The fish aren’t anywhere near the expensive brand quality (kind of a weird texture) but for literally a dollar like, I’m just going to dump hot sauce on anyways. The sauce is like, pleasant

Solid 3/5 stars

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I like these Canario 'dines in spicy oil even more than any KOs I've tried, and they are $1.39 per can at Latin supermarkets here in Central Florida.

Both sides of the little box the can comes in:

They are very small, silvery 'dines with a delicious meaty taste, not fishy at all. I always eat them straight out of the can, because they don't need anything else to be good. Even KOs need something to go with.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Even KOs need something to go with.

uh.... no! Don't spread lies like this in the GBS 'dine thread

the KO you're referring to must not stand for King Oscar then

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 29, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I made escargot but didn't take any pictures because I posted a tomato thread that people were rude in.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

raton posted:

I made escargot but didn't take any pictures because I posted a tomato thread that people were rude in.
people are getting absolutely ROASTED right now about burgers and pickles

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That's a shame. Escargot is cool (if perceived to be expensive) dad food.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fish ball soup

Start to finish can be as short as 25m

Fish balls are both a French and Asian thing so maybe you should try it

A fish ball is a meat ball but it's made out of fish

You can buy the Asian ones if you have an asian market they look like this

The ones like that are pretty dense and are good deep fried, grilled, often served with what you can find in stores as Sweet Thai Chili Sauce, or in soups

The homemade ones are not as dense and will be more frenchy

How to make it

Buy some fish. You can use any fish but the normal one is cheap white fish. I got 2 lbs of Swai fillet from walmart.

Dry the fish out. I don't mean make jerky but if there's too much water they don't hold together. Dont' try adding eggs and poo poo.

What I did was take out the 2lbs of Swai fillet (there were like 5 in the bag, I got them frozen adn put them in hot water in the sink for like 10m to thaw them) and put them on paper towel then press on the top (gently it's fish)( with another paper twoels good enough, then salt and pepper them

To make them into a meat ball you need to distrub and rub together the fish proteins so they coagulate a bit, you either do this by putting them all ona big cutting board and chopping at them with a cleaver for a while (maybe 10 minutes, it's a pain in the rear end) until you get paste or you just do what I did and put them in a food processor and pulse -- they will first get cut down then form a ball that looks excatlly like what happens when you make pasta dough in a food processor (look it up on youtube if you don't know what I mean), anyway you drop balls of this goop into the soup and it makes fish balls

How to make soup

I fried up one big onion. French people say no color on the onion because they love to surrender and onions are already white. I like to color my onions for soups expecially if I'm not adding other sweeteners. After the onion is done I added two cloves of crushed garlic (don't do it too soon or you won't taste it and also maybe will burn it, burnt garlic tastes l,ike poo poo) and 8 cups of water and Better Than Bullion clam base (my favorite shelf stable seafood flavored stock base -- you could make your own out of fish skeletons and shrimp shells if you worked at a restaurant and had that poo poo handy anyway but I don't also that's a lot more work). Bring it to a boil. HAve half a napa cabbage shredded up nearby (or any other vegetable, napa is good because its crinkly so it maintains some texture if you put it in the fridge and eat it over a few days like I am doing).

When the onion / garlic / stock is bubbling nicely dump in the cabbage. The fish will cook for 10m so will the cabbage so that's fine

The techniqaue for adding the fish is to grab a pile of it off the cutting board with your left hand and then you squeeze your fingers a bit from pinky ring middle pointer and a blob of fish will emerge at the top. Your right hand you get wet (the fish paste will stick aggressively to your hand if youdon't) so leave the sink running and anyway you pull off the blob of fish, close your right hand to make a rough ball (don't try to make a smooth ball unless you're gay) and drop that into the bubbling stock (not hard boiling). Do this will all the fish and you'll get the picture I have. Add some chili flakes if you want (I used Korean gochuijuang whatever it is because I like the taste but you do what you want)

Also I put some coriander powder in the onions when they were frying because it's kinda citrusy and I did'nt want to pay for any other citrus for it

Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover, 10m, done

To make it more french use a much stronger homemade broth and pike and add some cream, but why do that, just leave it like I did, the French are idiots

If you have kids to feed add noodles (a thin egg noodle would be fine, you could also add rice noodles but be careful those overcook almost instantly so study up on how to do that first) and double the water volume that will shut them up

And if you want thicken the stock with a starch slurry, people like that

raton fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 5, 2018

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

raton posted:

Fish ball soup

Looks tasty. Saving that recipe, will try it soon. Glad you brought up the bit of citrus flavor, too.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Went on a climbing adventure in Wyoming over Labor Day weekend and I brought myself a delicious Baltic treat to the crag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Admiral Bosch posted:

Went on a climbing adventure in Wyoming over Labor Day weekend and I brought myself a delicious Baltic treat to the crag.

blessed