Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was hoping to spend my morning off playing this trial instead of waiting for a make believe product code to be emailed to me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Cat Machine posted:

this is a problem entirely of your own making, there are other titans in the game

You are not wrong, but with the prevalence of Tone in matches, there's a high likelihood this happens anyway.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Got on the Tone train yesterday.

Feel like I'm better at hitting pilots with Ion's laser then the 40mm cannon though.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Where my Northstars at?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Oxyclean posted:

Got on the Tone train yesterday.

Feel like I'm better at hitting pilots with Ion's laser then the 40mm cannon though.

The laser is, usually. The 40mm has just enough deviation and travel time that it isn't as good an instant delete button for pilots on console. It's still excellent at the job compared to other Titan primaries but the Ion laser is magnificent at it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

^burtle posted:

Where my Northstars at?

Sup Northstar buddy.

I do admit I have a nearly equal amount of play time on the Tone, Northstar, and Ronin though. Whenever I switch off the Tone it feels bad.

The Tone detox is no fun

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The laser is, usually. The 40mm has just enough deviation and travel time that it isn't as good an instant delete button for pilots on console. It's still excellent at the job compared to other Titan primaries but the Ion laser is magnificent at it.

Thing is Ion's laser has 2 uses max and then it's on cool down for a while. Less than 2 if you've used any other abilities.

Tone has... how many shots in it's clip? With a solid rate of fire.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Been using Ronin lately and having tons of fun. Still have to get the timing down so I don't knock titans out of melee range while I'm messing them up, but it's been a great time so far.

Tone just seems so dull in comparison these days...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Tone is dull. Honestly all these tweaks aren't going to help fix it. It's straight up badly designed.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Swap Tone and Northstar defensive abilities. Problem solved. Now the sniper has a shield to make him extra annoying to fight and Tone has something of dubious worth.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'd be totally fine with Tone now if it lost Particle Wall. I've actually seen a nice variety of Titans on PS4 recently, but Tone still has no reason to possess the strongest defensive option in the game on top of insanely baller offensive abilities.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tone owns bones. Props to Respawn for not ruining her despite all the whining.

Fuligin posted:

I'd be totally fine with Tone now if it lost Particle Wall. I've actually seen a nice variety of Titans on PS4 recently, but Tone still has no reason to possess the strongest defensive option in the game on top of insanely baller offensive abilities.

This is the one thing I'd be totally ok with. I think losing particle wall would keep Tone fun and it would still be a good titan. It doesn't feel necessary to me. I would maybe like it to have a weaker form of block to replace it though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 2, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Speaking of Northstar, if you haven't tried the new improved Viper kit you really should. Makes Northstar an EXTREMELY mobile threat.

veni veni veni posted:

Tone owns bones. Props to Respawn for not ruining her despite all the whining.

I'm glad you found your Titan Wife but she's actually really bad for the game as a whole, same as the original Cloak and same as what's going to happen to Phase Shift.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tone drinks crybaby tears for dinner.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I only play a few rounds maybe four nights a week, but I've never had a huge problem with regards to balance. Even in LTS I've never seen a team run only Tone or anything like that, and occasionally I'll show up at the top of the scoreboard running Ronin. I understand how Tone is stronger than the others, and I have no loving clue what some something like flight core is supposed to help with, but it hardly feels like it's strangling the game or anything.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Mailer posted:

I don't have any video (nor do I even know how to pull/edit video from xbone)

If you need it in the future,

https://www.xboxdvr.com

Search your GT, all your videos will be there and you can even download the video files.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

Tone drinks crybaby tears for dinner.

The fact that you need to frame "this Titan is boring to fight, badly designed and needs work for these reasons" as crybaby tears is annoying, but typical on the internet. Whatever you need to do to protect your fragile little ego, I suppose.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Stan Taylor posted:

I only play a few rounds maybe four nights a week, but I've never had a huge problem with regards to balance. Even in LTS I've never seen a team run only Tone or anything like that, and occasionally I'll show up at the top of the scoreboard running Ronin. I understand how Tone is stronger than the others, and I have no loving clue what some something like flight core is supposed to help with, but it hardly feels like it's strangling the game or anything.

Flying above Tone's shield and continuing to put shots into her when she thinks she is safe

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Question about Ion's shoulder laser. Do you need to charge it (like hold it down until it starts screaming) to get full damage?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The fact that you need to frame "this Titan is boring to fight, badly designed and needs work for these reasons" as crybaby tears is annoying, but typical on the internet. Whatever you need to do to protect your fragile little ego, I suppose.

Not really. It's a fun Titan. just because you whine about it a lot doesn't make anything you say true.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megamans jockstrap says it's badly designed and needs to be removed guys. I guess that's definitive proof!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I wonder what the statistics would be like on Tone usage as well as kill stats. But yeah, I switched from Tone because I wanted some variety, but playing other titans, you can immediately see some of the drawbacks of playing them, which with Tone is something you don't get that with.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

Megamans jockstrap says it's badly designed and needs to be removed guys. I guess that's definitive proof!

I never said it needed to be removed.

Maybe walk away from the computer if you get so upset that you hallucinate words I didn't write.

Also, literally every single Youtube Titanfall Superstar agrees with me. Nobody is defending it at the upper levels of play. That should tell you something.

Edit: for the record, Legion's new Hidden Compartment kit utterly breaks that Titan as well. He's too dang good.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Looselybased posted:

Question about Ion's shoulder laser. Do you need to charge it (like hold it down until it starts screaming) to get full damage?

Damage output is the same, I only hold it to correct my aim.

Also aim where your target is going to be and release when the target gets there:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

veni veni veni posted:

He isn't the only one that thinks its unbalanced. It has already been nerfed twice which means that Respawn don't think it was balanced either.

Edit: You can hold the laser down while aiming? I have just been tapping the button this whole time :smith:

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 2, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I never said it needed to be removed.

Maybe walk away from the computer if you get so upset that you hallucinate words I didn't write.

Also, literally every single Youtube Titanfall Superstar agrees with me. Nobody is defending it at the upper levels of play. That should tell you something.

Edit: for the record, Legion's new Hidden Compartment kit utterly breaks that Titan as well. He's too dang good.

Hm yes. I'm the one being upset here not the guy that does nothing but whine about Tone. And you did say that the last time this came up.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Athanatos posted:

Flying above Tone's shield and continuing to put shots into her when she thinks she is safe

That seems really weak for a turbo move or whatever.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

Hm yes. I'm the one being upset here not the guy that does nothing but whine about Tone. And you did say that the last time this came up.

The fact that every single balance patch so far has had some tweak to Tone shows that this is a very pressing matter.

Anyway, to your accusation: if you find a post where I said Tone needs to be removed I'll donate 20 dollars to a charity of your choice. I think you're confusing me with someone else.

Reminder: this is what I actually said a couple of days ago, there's no need for a slapfight, I want you to keep your Titan and enjoy it:

I've got no problem with Tone's existence or playstyle. My problem comes from the fact that I play all the Titans and I have to bust my rear end with every other one of them to get the results I get with Tone. Tone feels like easy mode. Tone has an answer for everything and that answer is extremely easy to implement and extremely effective. Nothing proves that more than the fact that my least-played and least-leveled Titan is Tone and my stats page shows that my most effective and most deadly weapon across all categories is the 40mm.

I stand by the fact that Tone either needs to simply have a DPS nerf to other Titans (because it is an incredibly safe, effective, and consistent Titan and even with a DPS nerf woudl still be a Pilot-killing powerhouse at all ranges) or have a re-designed based around firing missiles infrequently but doing high damage to multiple targets when it does so. That's where I'm at.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

^burtle posted:

Where my Northstars at?

I'd be there, but you always slam pick it so I have to play some other titan :cry:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

AirRaid posted:

Thing is Ion's laser has 2 uses max and then it's on cool down for a while. Less than 2 if you've used any other abilities.

Tone has... how many shots in it's clip? With a solid rate of fire.

Yeah, that's the big trade off. Shot per shot I have a much easier time connecting with the pilot zapper though. Especially when goosing.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm really noticing the Ronin changes now that I've had a chance to give them a solid few hours of evaluation:

- Base movement speed is significantly improved. He seems to move much faster than other titans - while this was probably true before, it's very noticeable now.
- Distance for each dash seems farther, same with Phase Dash
- Melee sword damage seems slightly improved and more consistent
- Shotgun damage is slightly better.

Overall he seems much improved, especially with nuke eject, though I haven't had a chance to try doom phase.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Well I guess it shows that Respawn were successful at creating a bond between pilot and titan if they've got people defending the honour of their favorite robot.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I have literally not played Ronin at all and my rank is in the thirties. I guess I should give him a shot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The fact that every single balance patch so far has had some tweak to Tone shows that this is a very pressing matter.

Anyway, to your accusation: if you find a post where I said Tone needs to be removed I'll donate 20 dollars to a charity of your choice. I think you're confusing me with someone else.

Reminder: this is what I actually said a couple of days ago, there's no need for a slapfight, I want you to keep your Titan and enjoy it:

I stand by the fact that Tone either needs to simply have a DPS nerf to other Titans (because it is an incredibly safe, effective, and consistent Titan and even with a DPS nerf woudl still be a Pilot-killing powerhouse at all ranges) or have a re-designed based around firing missiles infrequently but doing high damage to multiple targets when it does so. That's where I'm at.

It's possible it was someone else. I was referring to something like "the kit is so broken it needs a total redesign" which I could have sworn was you and is pretty much saying remove it.

Anyways. I've never complained about any of the Tone nerfs and I want the game to be balanced. It just gets old hearing people and all of their great ideas to completely ruin the titan, when I believe that on consoles at least, Tone is 1.not actually that op and 2. not even currently one of the most popular Titans. If respawn chooses to nerf it further it's fine. If they decide it's op I trust it because they have generally been ok at balance imo. But I don't see a bunch of people complaining as definitive proof that something is broken.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Also, I finally figured out that the proper way to use Flame Shield is to sneak up behind a titan, fire the incendiary gas and thermite in front of them, then start pushing into their back with the Inferno Shield kit equipped :getin:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
One way to balance Tone would be to make it so neither side can shoot through the shield. Alternatively, maybe some abilities (firewall and arcwave, charge laser for example) could pass through it but it still blocks regular attacks.

40mm should still one-shot pilots but have less splash/a less generous hitbox, and only create a lock on direct hit. Maybe some fairly significant bullet drop, though that might be too much.

Her core ability's main problem is that it takes you from full to zero way to quickly; everyone else but Scorch's super is DOT and his is close range and (I think) does a little less damage. Easy fix here, stagger it so that the missiles hit a few at a time rather than in a single, murderous cloud.

Tone actually has my favourite combination of weapons and abilities (AKA more missiles!) but she's definitely unbalanced and frustrating to play against, so I purposefully avoid using it. Scorch4lyfe in the meantime, I like him a lot more than I expected I would.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The 40mm splash damage has been massively dropped though. Anything but a direct hit does like 1/3rd of a pilots health. Even if the shell lands 2 feet away.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Ronin with phase reflex and nuke eject is pretty funny. I believe you can even start your nuke eject sequence in The Upside Down.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

s1ppycup posted:

Ronin with phase reflex and nuke eject is pretty funny. I believe you can even start your nuke eject sequence in The Upside Down.

It is good times, just be aware that it's still noticeable when you do it. Even if you're still shifted they'll hear the noise and see a glowing ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

RE: Phase shift trails, I honestly don't see it. I gotta get my eyes checked maybe.

And Alternator is still a magic killing machine. I don't deserve any of these kills!