Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Not to mention the plague episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

power crystals posted:

Yeah in completely unsurprising news that never showed up. Oh well.

Thank you for your sacrifice good sir. :911:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

One picture of the Babylon Station, as requested. Apologies for the quality, it was photographed from a book.

This image also predates ITB, so while it was canon at the time the show takes precedence. However, B1 is canonically meant to have collapsed during construction of the outer rotating sections - at the time it was blamed on substandard materials; people didn't question the incident, or B2's fusion reactor explosion, until B3 was destroyed by more obvious bombing - so it could be that this is "concept art" of the finished product while the photo from ITB is only of the central superstructure.

Thanks for posting and satisfying curiosity I've had about this since I was a kid

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TraderStav posted:

Oh man, that sucks. I was hoping by mentioning that the poster who dropped the coin for it would chime in with a sweet pic. Hope you were able to do a claim on your credit card.

I'm planning to get a set of instructions and list of bricks, and source it domestically later this year. After my gunpla backlog gets cut down some.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gah, why are they not posting more! Watch more episodes you lazy first timers!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh man, they really do not like Franklin at all. Maybe because he had very little stuff to actually do during the first season

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It makes sense to me.

He’s stiff and more than a little sanctimonious in season 1.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Watching them watch Season 2 is going to be fantastic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ConfusedUs posted:

It makes sense to me.

He’s stiff and more than a little sanctimonious in season 1.

Biggs was always stiff. I get that it's in large part because he was almost entirely deaf, but he was not a particularly talented actor. He's daytime soap-opera level at his very best.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 12, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah...if they ever get their rear end in gear :argh:

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Watching them watch Season 2 is going to be fantastic.

I've only watched the show once and that was years ago. I also think I stopped at the end of 4 without watching a single episode of season 5 for whatever reason. The blind watch thread makes me want to binge season 1 this weekend and continue watching along with them. It would be a good time too since I only remember the basic plot points. I'm also a sucker for terrible scifi media and could enjoy even The Legend of the Rangers.

The only problem for me right now is I'm currently halfway through season 2 bsg rewatch binge.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I've only watched the show once and that was years ago. I also think I stopped at the end of 4 without watching a single episode of season 5 for whatever reason. The blind watch thread makes me want to binge season 1 this weekend and continue watching along with them. It would be a good time too since I only remember the basic plot points. I'm also a sucker for terrible scifi media and could enjoy even The Legend of the Rangers.

The only problem for me right now is I'm currently halfway through season 2 bsg rewatch binge.

I was halfway thru Season 2 of DS9 and the new thread made me drop it and now I’m rewatching B5 again.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

McCloud posted:

Not to mention the plague episode

Was that season 2 or 3? I know it got a callback when Sheridan used the Markab jumpgate to blow that Shadow ship straight to hell.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
From the blind watch thread:

Vavrek posted:

I worked out the numbers once and found that Babylon 5 has about the same population density as Hong Kong.

5 mile long centrifuge, 1 mile diameter, gives a 5 * π square miles interior: about 15.7 sq mi. A quarter million divided by 15.7 gives about 16k/sq mi. Hong Kong's population density is about 17.5k/sq mi.

When you factor in that B5 has something like 50 decks, it's like you've taken a very long, broad skyscraper with an elaborate rooftop garden, and rolled it into a tube.

†They always say the station is five miles long, but a production designer explained in an interview that it's the living section that's five miles, while the whole station was about eight miles long, according to how they'd designed and built the 3d model.

Neo Rasa posted:

I never knew this, I too thought the entire station was five miles.

Vavrek posted:

I only learned it reading an interview a few months ago, from a very spoiler-heavy website that I'll link in the main B5 thread.
https://www.b5scrolls.com/#Screen1_01_13

quote:

We built EVERYTHING to scale, with the station at the centre of our universe. I'd have to see the original ship in lightwave to tell you how big it was. The
size of B5 NEVER changed. It was always 1 mile wide at the floor surface of the centrifuge, a little wider at the outside diameter. The centrifuge was
also 5 miles long (the station was actually bigger than that). The screen displays are another matter. We basically did them for nothing (because we had the set up to make them look OK). But, they were very rushed. Also they had to be done BEFORE we did any of the VFX as they were live playback on set. I'm surprised that some of our more horrid ones didn’t get freeze framed by more fans. There were shots of Muppet like characters and fake commercials, you name it.

So does that. . . Hold on a minute. . . The station is longer than 5 miles?

Only the centrifuge is 5 miles. The docking and command sphere, and power section at the rear, make it a lot longer.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Timby posted:

Biggs was always stiff. I get that it's in large part because he was almost entirely deaf, but he was not a particularly talented actor. He's daytime soap-opera level at his very best.

He got a lot better when he got scenes to do out of MedLab. Steve & Mark's Excellent Adventure is fun, and I rather enjoyed the payoff to Franklin's Walkabout.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh man, this makes the EA Explorer class and the Excalibur even more impressive.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Polaron posted:

Was that season 2 or 3? I know it got a callback when Sheridan used the Markab jumpgate to blow that Shadow ship straight to hell.

I think it was the later half of season 2, but I wouldn't swear on it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ 2X18 Confessions and Lamentations

jng2058 posted:

He got a lot better when he got scenes to do out of MedLab. Steve & Mark's Excellent Adventure is fun, and I rather enjoyed the payoff to Franklin's Walkabout.

Walkabout was always Franklin's best episode. The confrontation with himself is one of my favourite scenes in the show, and it's not a show lacking in great scenes.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
"So did you meet yourself?"
"Yeah, actually, I did."

"What did you learn?"
"I'm a real prick."

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Jedit posted:

^^^ 2X18 Confessions and Lamentations

Walkabout was always Franklin's best episode. The confrontation with himself is one of my favourite scenes in the show, and it's not a show lacking in great scenes.

Walkabout, or Shadow Dancing?

Walkabout is the one with Franklin and the singer, while Shadow Dancing is the one where he is stabbed and has the conversation with himself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zaroff posted:

Walkabout, or Shadow Dancing?

Walkabout is the one with Franklin and the singer, while Shadow Dancing is the one where he is stabbed and has the conversation with himself.

The latter. It's been a long while since I last watched and I got the titles muddled. But Shadow Dancing is a top 10 episode, so Franklin standing out in it means more.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

Oh man, this makes the EA Explorer class and the Excalibur even more impressive.

Probably something about the model/texture quality that makes them not feel so big, but it always boggles me a bit when I remember that the Omega-class destroyers are supposed to be about a mile long.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I started my B5 rewatch again. Not going to start up the commentary again unless I see something I really missed before - that was mostly to keep the thread rolling, and we have the Blind Thread to keep us entertained in that respect now - but I am inspired to burn through it now I'm past Believers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Probably something about the model/texture quality that makes them not feel so big, but it always boggles me a bit when I remember that the Omega-class destroyers are supposed to be about a mile long.

I don't think Foundation had the right virtual lens settings going on, even up close shots rarely had that looming/stretched perspective that said "this goes on for miles", which is really important when you don't have the typical cues like atmospheric haze or known scale objects to fall back on. That shot of the Q girl standing on the back of the Enterprise-D makes it look bigger than anything in B5 ever seemed.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The White Star's supposed to be the size of an Excelsior?! :psyduck:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Polaron posted:

The White Star's supposed to be the size of an Excelsior?! :psyduck:

Babylon 5 sizing has always been ...weird.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
If I remember right it was originally intended to be a lot smaller - like the bridge is supposed to take up that whole bulb protuberance on top - but then it wound up needing to be a whole lot bigger in order to accommodate the interiors as shown.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also I'm not sure 467 meters really fits with the scene where a White Star slams into Pollux's hangar bay in No Surrender, No Retreat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Impossibly huge ships that a whole bunch of people work and live inside are very hard to keep track of the scale of. All your frames of reference end up being fictional.

And then that big huge ship only has one room in it because it would be a waste of time building extra sets.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Impossibly huge ships that a whole bunch of people work and live inside are very hard to keep track of the scale of. All your frames of reference end up being fictional.

And then that big huge ship only has one room in it because it would be a waste of time building extra sets.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also I'm not sure 467 meters really fits with the scene where a White Star slams into Pollux's hangar bay in No Surrender, No Retreat.

Yeah, the hangar bays and general fighter-ship comparisons really show up some of this size creep. As long as something has a window and there's a person in that window, you have at least one real frame of reference. The Explorer, Omega, White Star and B5 really don't match in relation to each other in that image, for example.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Timby posted:

Babylon 5 sizing has always been ...weird.

Seems about right to me. I figure the wings and fins don't have people in them. That center cylinder is a bit bigger than an Ohio class submarine, those are 170m long and 13m wide with a crew of 155. And they don't squish the crew at all in the white stars so that makes a bit more sense.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Biggs liked to run lines with other performers to get his timing and reactions down. Pat Tallman mentions doing that with him because she liked running lines, too. It sounds like most of the actors playing humans weren’t much interested. So that’s a factor.

The other factor is that he gets a lot of medical technobabble and he’s playing the calm ER doctors a substantial fraction of the time. That leads to a fairly flat and calm affect. That’s part of why he’s “better” outside MedLab.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

I just started a new D&D campaign as a charismatic paladin. I made it half way in to the first session before I realized I had been, basically, roleplaying G'Kar.

:allears:

If it hadn't been a spoiler I would have suggested one of his friends roleplay as a warlock with strange hair and a weird accent

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

:allears:

If it hadn't been a spoiler I would have suggested one of his friends roleplay as a warlock with strange hair and a weird accent

Reading the watch thread is so nice. I’m amused by the loathing of Garabaldi but overjoyed at the love for Vir, Londo and G’Kar. Londo is going to break their hearts. Still waiting for one of them to wonder about Lennier’s printer carrying skills.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Probably around mid season 3, that's about the time Delenn and Sheridan really start knocking boots and when it really starts to go off the rails for Lennier. The actual exact point is probably "Woohoo?!".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

McCloud posted:

Probably around mid season 3, that's about the time Delenn and Sheridan really start knocking boots and when it really starts to go off the rails for Lennier. The actual exact point is probably "Woohoo?!".

The boots knocking is s4, they have an innocent night together at the end of Shadow Dancing

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The boots knocking is s4, they have an innocent night together at the end of Shadow Dancing

I stand corrected. But being cucked by a midwestern yokel is probably the point his love for delenn went from innocent puppy love to creepy nice guy obsession.

Oh wait, actually, it might be an earlier episode when he's talking to Marcus about how his love is more pure and stronger than mere romantic love :jerkbag:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

Oh god...: season 3 intro.

“It failed.” Boom boom baaaaa boom boom baaa.

Love that intro. First time I saw it my mind was blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's so good. Season 5 intro I used to turn down until it was over