Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

RandomPauI posted:

Hypothetically speaking, what's happen if we contaminated the Reddit army's marijuana with lsd and ecstasy?

Go big or go home.

PCP/bath salts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

power crystals posted:

This is an opinion I never thought I'd encounter. But what the hell, you're welcome to join me and Dreamsicle in Never Leaving The Base, Ever.

My family is all grunts, and I've only ever seen the military from ground level. I wouldn't know what to do in one of those things. Besides, ADA is a sweet job - a bunch of sitting around with a specific vehicle to sleep in. A bit of a risk of getting blown up real good, but whatever.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNjYao6f90s

Reports are sketchy but it's looking like Dos Santos is taking all of his armor from the flanks and putting it into the coastal corridor. It's the fastest route from our lines to his capital and he knows it. Though if we can strike the other zones it'll also pay dividends, but mileage to tank tracks, it's the coast to Luanda. Unfortunately we don't have eyes in the sky, but OSINT is showing instagram posts of armored positions from the current lines all the way to the Bulgarian T-72's holding the bridges to Luanda itself.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
This update only further justifies a choice to neuter the Free State so as to prove a convenient back door into Luanda.

We probably don't have to blow up the bridge - only show that we have the capability. Destroy Free State central communications, obliterate a couple of key logistics centres, waste their only remaining source of revenue, and make it clear that the mercenaries - and the troops serving under them - have two choices:

1) Stick around with a blinded, deafened, neutered and dumbstruck command that is totally incapable of paying them, and we will cut off their retreat and leave them to be defeated in detail by either us or Dos Santos (either of whom are more than capable of doing the job), or
2) Join Von Hoff, get paid, don't die. Remind them that we are a rebel front too and will therefore be far more likely to pardon them and let the go than Dos Santos, who is a brutal dictator with a penchant for theatrical executions.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
It will be our Coast of Death :bern101:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I expect more votes for my plan now that Santos has put targets all in a line for us :colbert:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Some scrounging of Instagram has brought us photos straight from the front. The photo GPS ID shows forces distributed all along the coastal plain right up to Luanda.

I don't know where they found that last one, but holy poo poo, is this loving Stalingrad?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Yooper posted:

I don't know where they found that last one, but holy poo poo, is this loving Stalingrad?[/b]
did he hire the motostrelki mercs from that one time we where in tibet?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
drat your eyes, Abby Kitting and Instagram! We don't give a drat about their armor assets--they all blow up the same way! Show us the things with missiles on the top--their ADS is much more of a threat to us than their tanks!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We're gonna need more SDBs.

Turkey shoot? I'm thinking Turkey shoot.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'm tempted to switch some CAP planes to bomb loadouts.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
The coastal corridor is the immediate area around the coastal highway, right?

In that case the highway that runs parallell to the coast between Alto Hama (where the count's mech inf is stationed according to the map) and Cambambe* could be an alternative if we want to attack Luanda from the east.
If we could suppress the armour along the coast to prevent them from heading east the mech inf can use that road to attack Luanda from the east. That means that we wouldn't have to go as far as the eastern border and instead concentrate the CAS strikes to a relatively small area.

*Conveniently, both the radars and the FOB are situated along or resonably close to that road and our favourite observer is stationed right in the middle.
I think that we should focus on the coast of course, but it might be worth considering.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 11, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Thats... weird.

Santos left the center north/south highway mostly undefended?

Edit: Ill expand my thoughts in the new format when I get home.

Operation Whirlwind

This operation is simple - it ignores the Free State entirely, focusing on a strong upward thrust in preparation for the final assault on the capital. All forces are operating out of the west most airport. Units shall not pass further east than the central road. Units shall not pass north of Caboledo.

Timeline:
1. Forward deploy the I-Hawks, Shilkas, and SA-22s to provide fire support for Von Hoff and extra air cover for us.
2. SEAD elements move up. UAVs search for SAMs, SPAA, and AAA. Von Hoff's spy helps spot SA-11s on the highway.
3. Prowler moves in to provide jamming support (stay 40 nmi away from any contacts) and fire HARMs.
4. Gripens and Kfirs hit AA targets with glide bombs.
5. Strike aircraft hit any remaining AA units, then hit ground troops.
6. Quick Turnaround as many times as possible.

Whirlwind 1
Loadout:
1x MQ-9 Reaper with Gorgon Stare pods.
Mission:
1. Locate AA assets and radars -- stay 40 nmi away from AA contacts at all time. Fly at 25,000 ft AGL.
2. Locate ground targets.

Loadout:
1x EA-6B Prowler with four jammers and one HARM.
Mission:
1. Locate and jam radars-- stay 40 nmi away from AA contacts at all time. Fly at 30,000 ft AGL.
2. Kill SAM batteries with the HARM.

Loadout:
4x Kifr C.10 with SPICE 1000 build
Mission:
1. Destroy enemy AA units -- stay 25 nmi away from AA contacts at all time. Fly at 30,000 ft AGL.
2. If no AA targets are available, destroy ground targets.

Whirlwind 2
2x AMX A-11 with AGM-65B Maverick EO
Mission:
1. Destroy enemy AA units -- stay 5 nmi away from AA contacts at all time. Fly at 20,000 ft AGL.

2x Saudi Tornadoes with twelve Brimstone missiles each.
1. Destroy enemy AA units -- stay 15 nmi away from AA contacts at all time. Fly at 20,000 ft AGL.

1x SU-25 Frogfoot with two FAB-500M-54 GPB
1x Hawk 209 with two Mavericks.
Mission:
1. Destroy enemy AA units -- stay 5 nmi away from AA contacts at all time. Fly at 20,000 ft AGL.

5x SK 60Bs M/70 135mm Rockets
Mission:
1. Only sortie if enemy AA has been totally suppressed or destroyed.
2. Target FOBs, HQs, and other fixed targets.

1x Sperwer UAV.
Mission:
1. Locate AA assets and radars -- stay 25 nmi away from AA contacts at all time. Fly at 10,000 ft AGL.
2. Locate ground targets.
3. If possible, buddy-lase targets.

4x Gripens with eight GBU-39 SBDs each
Mission:
1. Destroy enemy AA units -- stay 50 nmi away from AA contacts at all time. Fly at 30,000 ft AGL.

2x Mirage F1.CR with T.200 400kg GPB
Mission:

6x F-4 Phantom IIs with A/A: AIM-120B AMRAAM, Heavy
Mission:
1. Destroy enemy AA units -- stay 5 nmi away from AA contacts at all time. Fly at 25, 000 ft AGL.
3. After strikes are complete, head to a patrol area south of the strike zone and provide CAP.

2x Tornado IDS with AGM-88B HARM
Mission:
1. Destroy the FOB and radars inside the Dictator's territory.
2. RTB, rearm and hit other high-value targets of opportunity.

CAP
4 Gripens with max Meteor loadout
Orbit at west CAP point
Support Whirlwind 1 and 2

Support
AEW&C (Argus 100B): provide early warning support.
VC-10: provide tanker support in the West.
KC-135: provide tanker support in the East.

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 12, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Operation No Time For Seconds mk2, or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Small Diameter Bomb
(consider the last one deprecated, but I'll leave it there for curiosity's sake and anyone reading the whole thread)

Objectives:
- Annoy the free state mercs enough to switch sides. We don't need to totally wipe them out, just get them to decide working for us is both safer and 100% bitcoin free.
- Take out the dictator's remaining strategic targets
- Blow up every Buk, T-72, and Hilux in the area
- Look cool doing it

Unless otherwise stated, WRA default and EMCON silent unless spiked or required to fire.

Art Deco Element - Based out of Cassamba

Reasoning: The goal is to annoy the Free State mercs into submission. To that end, we're going to harass their lines, and throw in the Kfirs to show that we're nice to you if you're nice to us. In addition, it turns out that our Vietnam-era Phantoms can actually do quick turnaround on their air superiority loadouts, so let's use those here. The HAWK got moved over because the dictator's air force is a rounding error now, but the Free State still has a few shiny toys.

If the F2s show up, just abort and RTB everybody, they'll be entirely outclassed.

Ground Forces: 1x HAWK, 1x Pantsir, 1x Shilka

Bulwark Flight
Composition: 3x F4-E Phantom (4x AIM-120B, 4x AIM-9L)
WRA: 2 AMRAAMs per target
Orders: Patrol the area around our lines in the east. Engage hostile air targets as spotted. RTB when Kitchen runs out of munitions.

Seeker Flight
Composition: 1x Sperwer
Orders: Start airborne. Patrol the front line in the east looking for contacts. Hang back if targets are spotted.

Kitchen Flight
Composition: 2x AMX A-11 (2x Maverick), 1x Hawk 209 (2x Maverick), 2x Mirage F.1CR (4x GBU-12), 4x Kfir C.10 (2x SPICE 1000)
Orders: Blow up whatever the Sperwer spots

Piglet Flight
Composition: 1x VC10.K4
Orders: Orbit above Cassamba and provide fuel as needed.

Brutalism Element - Based out of Benguela

Reasoning: The dictator doesn't have many planes left. Let's try to keep it that way by taking out his primary runway. If we're really lucky, Von Hoff's guys will get to capture some or all of them on the ground. After that, pound the poo poo out of the area from here to the capital. Same comment re: Phantom CAP, which leaves us with 8 Gripens to drop SDBs. So many SDBs. Potentially one hundred and ninety twoforty four SDBs if they get to quick turnaround twice. I'm skipping the Prowler's HARM because the more jammers the greater the effective jamming range, and that one HARM isn't likely to do much, especially given this region's Tunguska infestation.

Ground Forces: 1x Pantsir, 1x Shilka

Stalwart Flight
Composition: 2x JAS-39C Gripen (4x Meteor, 2x IRIS), 3x F4-E Phantom (4x AIM-120B, 4x AIM-9L)
WRA: 2 AMRAAMs per target
Orders: Patrol the area around our lines in the west. Engage hostile air targets as spotted. Winchester when out of Meteors or AMRAAMs, Quick Turnaround and return to the front.

Claymore Flight
Composition: 2x Tornado IDS [Germany] (2x Taurus), 2x Tornado IDS [Saudi Arabia] (2x Storm Shadow)
Orders: Fire two Storm Shadows each at the radars near Munenga and Belas. Repeat with Tauruses if they survive; otherwise, fire any available Tauruses at the Luanda airport runway and have them come in over the sea (see dotted line).

Scryer Flight
Composition: 1x MQ-9 Reaper (Gorgon Stare)
Orders: Start airborne. Advance up the coast towards the capital. Hold when ground contacts are spotted. Fall back if no CAP remains.

Axe Flight
Composition: 6x JAS-39C Gripen (8x SDB, 1x Litening III, 1x Drop Tank)
Orders: Launch after Claymore's missiles impact. SDB whatever the Reaper spots. Prefer AA, specifically SAMs, but don't hesitate to engage support structures or bridges if no such targets are visible (but for the love of god don't fire on lithium facilities). Quick turnaround and do it again (twice).

Scimitar Flight
Composition: 1x EA-6B Prowler (5x AN/ALQ-991), 1x Su-25T (16x Vikhr), 5x SK60
Orders: Go in behind Axe. Engage any targets of opportunity. SK60s prefer soft targets. Quick turnaround and do it again (twice). Keep the SK60s behind the Frogfoot. Prowler remains airborne until the op concludes.

Overseer Flight
Composition: 1x S-100B, 1x KC-135
Orders: Orbit just south of the airfield at Benguela.

power crystals fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 11, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

If you're still working on a mission let me know, otherwise I'm going to get voting going tomorrow morning.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Loel posted:

Thats... weird.

Santos left the center north/south highway mostly undefended?

Edit: Ill expand my thoughts in the new format when I get home.

More like we just don't have intel on what is there, I'm betting. I'd expect both roads to be as heavily defended as the Dictator can make them.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

paragon1 posted:

More like we just don't have intel on what is there, I'm betting. I'd expect both roads to be as heavily defended as the Dictator can make them.

Correct. Just because our intel map is clear doesn't mean the game map is clear.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

RandomPauI posted:

Hypothetically speaking, what's happen if we contaminated the Reddit army's marijuana with lsd and ecstasy?

Someone get Steven Heck on the line.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

power crystals posted:

Operation No Time For Seconds mk2, or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Small Diameter Bomb
(consider the last one deprecated, but I'll leave it there for curiosity's sake and anyone reading the whole thread)

There's one kind of big problem I can see with this op plan--you will almost certainly cause the Dictator to scramble his Su-30s, and frankly I don't think 3 Phantoms with AMRAAMs are enough to contest up to 8 Flanker-Cs.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Davin Valkri posted:

There's one kind of big problem I can see with this op plan--you will almost certainly cause the Dictator to scramble his Su-30s, and frankly I don't think 3 Phantoms with AMRAAMs are enough to contest up to 8 Flanker-Cs.

That's... a reasonable concern. What would you say to transferring all 6 Phantoms to the west, and replacing the eastern CAP with two Kfirs with 2x Derby? I doubt that flight will be airborne for very long before the whole thing Winchesters anyway.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Those Flankers are carrying AA-10 Alamo's, which have between 45 and 70 nmi range. You're gonna want Gripens and their Meteors up for those guys.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
The guy playing the Aussie merc was hilarious, just wanted to mention that.

Also, count me in as a pilot. Looking for something interesting. Callsign Sabotage

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Coffeehitler posted:

Those Flankers are carrying AA-10 Alamo's, which have between 45 and 70 nmi range. You're gonna want Gripens and their Meteors up for those guys.

Well, yeah, but we've already got plans that do that setup well, so I'd rather submit something a little odd but unique. This is for you to bet it all on the Tauruses preventing the Flankers from even getting airborne. Davin's point I'll still note because with two shots per target, 3 Phantoms with 4 AMRAAMs each literally cannot shoot down that many Flankers without going in for Sidewinders, which is liable to go even more poorly.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Oh yes! Hire Steven Heck to come up with code names for our operations, at least.
Speaking of which:

OPERATION SHORT CIRCUIT

Updated map.

Objectives

1.. Eliminate the dictator's ground forces along the coast.
2.. Destroy the remaining radar sites and the FOB.

Timetable

1. MQ-9, SEAD and CAP launch from Benguela
2. ECAS and KC-130 launch from Menongue
3. 5 min later: CAS launches from Benguela
4. Tornados launch from Menongue
5. Await angry tweets from Dos Santos

No aircraft are to cross the "limit of AO" line under any circumstances.

Coastal strike

Recon

Meat
Composition: MQ-9 w. Gorgon Stare
Orders: Move along designated patrol route, then stop. Spot ground targets, stay 40 nm from any AA contacts. Fly at 25 000ft AGL

Little bird
Composition: Sperwer
Orders: Start in the air. Move forwards and spot ground targets, stay 10 nm from any contacts. Fly at 10 000 ft AGL

SEAD

Mentat flight
Composition: Prowler w. 5 jammers
Orders: Jammers on. Spot and jam SAMs, AA. Move long SEAD route, then orbit CENTRAL patrol area. Stay 40 nm from any AA contacts. Fly at 30 000 ft AGL

Muad'dib flight
Composition: 4x Kfir (2x SPICE 1000s each)
Orders: Attack AA contacts, otherwise attack ground targets. Stay 30 nm from any AA contacts Fly at 20,000 ft AGL.

Shai'Hulud flight
Composition: 2x Gripens (8x SDBs each)
Orders: Attack AA contacts, otherwise attack ground targets.Stay 40 nm from any AA contacts.
RTB when out of SDBs. Quick turnaround and return to SEAD area. Switch to Meteors if needed.
Fly at 20,000 ft AGL.

CAP

Composition: 4x Gripen (4 Meteors each)
Orders: Orbit CAP area, RTB when out of Meteors. Quick turnaround and return to CAP.

Coastal CAS
Standard target priority: 1. AA 2. Armour 3. Other ground contacts.

AC flight
Composition: Hawk (2x Mavericks), SU-25 (16x Vikhrs), 2x AMX.11 (2x Mavericks each)
Orders: Standard target priority. Fly at 20,000 ft AGL.

DC flight
Composition: 4x Phantoms (2x GBU-24A/Bs, 2x AMRAAMs each)
Orders: Standard target priority. Stay 15 nm from any AA contacts. Move to Central and CAP when out of GBU-24s.
Fly at 20,000 ft AGL.

Current flight
Composition: 1x Saudi Tornado (12x Brimstone)
Orders: Standard target priority. Stay 15 nm from any AA contacts. RTB when out of Brimstones.
Fly at 20,000 ft AGL.

Battery flight
Composition: 2x Gripens (8x SDBs each)
Orders: Standard target priority. Stay 35 nm from any AA contacts. Fly at 20,000 ft AGL.
RTB when out of SDBs. Quick turnaround and return to CAS area.

Dragon Slayers
Composition: 5x Sk60B (135mm rockets)
Orders: Launch from Benguela when airspace is safe. Target structures and soft targets.

East CAS
Standard target priority: 1. AA 2. Armour 3. Other ground contacts.

Lightwswitch flight
Composition: 1x Saudi Tornado (2x Storm Shadows), 2 German Tornados (2x Tauruses each)
Orders: Launch 15 minutes into the mission. Launch Storm Shadows at the Calulo radar, launch two Tauruses each at the FOB and Mussende radar site, then RTB.

Resistance flight
Composition: 2x Mirage F.1CR (4x GBU 12D/B each)
Orders: Standard target priority. RTB when out of GBU 12s. Fly at 20,000 ft AGL.

Capacitator flight
Composition: 2x Phantoms (2x GBU-24A/B, 2x AMRAAM each)
Orders: Standard target priority. Lase targets for Mirages. Move to Central and CAP when out of GBU-24s.

Support

Overwatch flight
Composition: S-100B, Vc.10
Orders: Orbit Overwatch point.

Tanker flight
Composition: KC-135
Orders: Orbit Tanker point.

Ground assets

East
Composition: 2x Shilkas, Pantsir
Orders: Deploy in Kuito and provide AA cover for the mech inf.

West
Composition: I-Hawk, Pantsir
Orders: Deploy just north of Benguela.

Credit for any good ideas and the formatting: power crystals, Bacarruda, Loel and the rest of the thread.
UPDATED.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 11, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kay, updated my post :v: It lacks finesse and attempts a zerg rush of the coast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kitfox88 posted:

We should be so lucky as to know Mr. Heck.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Notahippie posted:

I just caught up with the thread - finally able to voice my thoughts. Great job, Yooper - fantastic setup and running of this.

I feel like we have a major hole in our operations right now: we're relying on our employers for search & rescue. I think we're losing pilots we don't have to.

I propose that in the next procurement phase we develop a dedicated special operations team focused on reconnaissance and CSAR. Probably 3 12-man teams, who we could either send out for recon operations in 2 or 4-man sections or CSAR. They'd need 3 MH-53 Pave Low's or equivalent, and we'd need to reserve one aircraft for CAP and/or CAS in case they run into opposition. No more Silent Bobs!

(I figure this could also add an interesting additional element to the missions - launching the helicopters to recover downed pilots and having to protect them from enemy defenses would be one more thing to juggle. Phi's boys can be our direct-action element, and we could run this as an abstracted operation as a part of the mission. I have no idea if that's possible in the engine though, or if it would be too much of a pain in the rear end to model even if it is).

I never wanted to be a pilot, but sign me up as crew or command for one of the air defense artillery vehicles.

Piggybacking off of this, in carrier opps at least (and no reason why it wouldn't apply to other ops on land) the first aircraft to launch (and the last to land) will usually be one or two SAR/CSAR helos loaded up with swimmers and search equipment. Personel recovery is a huge thing and like Notahippie said, we've been relying on our patrons to SAr us so far (fair since we had the Indian armed forces in our first thetre and the Hoff has some bush helos here), however we cannot rely on that for the long term for personnel recovery. Having some MH-53s or really any helos ready to deploy to rescue our pilots would be a good investment. In addition, helos open the door to a number of other fun kinds of operations Yooper could run if he wanted to. VBSS operations if we get hired to sniff out drugs or pirates short ranged Vertreps or evacuations. helos open a lot of unconventional doors for us.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Night10194 posted:

We should be so lucky as to know Mr. Heck.

We do, his cover name is Jack.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coffeehitler posted:

We do, his cover name is Jack.

Jack is nowhere near awesome enough to be Steve Heck.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
We see like 1% of his antics.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Something to consider: The combat performance of the AIM-120B's our phantoms carry has been extremely disappointing so far. Off the top of my head, though, I don't think the AMRAAM's have had a better than 35-40% hit ratio. Also, the Sidewinders they carry are the AIM-9L variety, the very first all aspect sidewinder, introduced in 1977. I have serious doubts as to whether our Phantoms could really provide an effective CAP, especially facing the more modern SU-30.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 11, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah we shouldn't be using anything other than Gripens (or maybe Kfirs? I don't know their loadout off the top of my head*) for CAP. The phantoms didn't go well last time we had to use them for that.

E: 40nm for the Kfir's Derby vs 75nm (!) for the Meteor
Ain't nothin we have that does CAP like a Grip

simplefish fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 11, 2017

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
The Derby missile our Kfir's carry is a 40NM range version of the Python 4. Derby was developed in the mid-80s, and introduced in the 90's. Derby and Python 5 is a better combo qualitatively than the AIM-9L and the AIM-120B, but our Kfir's can only carry a pair of each.

E: ^ exactly. If we want to do CAP right, the Gripen is the only choice. Anything else leaves us dramatically outclassed by the Su-30.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

sparkmaster posted:

Something to consider: The combat performance of the AIM-120B's our phantoms carry has been extremely disappointing so far. Off the top of my head, though, I don't think the AMRAAM's have had a better than 35-40% hit ratio. Also, the Sidewinders they carry are the AIM-9L variety, the very first all aspect sidewinder, introduced in 1977. I have serious doubts as to whether our Phantoms could really provide an effective CAP, especially facing the more modern SU-30.

They've been...underwhelming to say the least. I thought they'd be better in the air-to-air role.

Every time we put F-4s head-to-head against Su-30s, the Phantoms lost (I should know, I was one of the goons who got shot down).

Phantoms can supplement our CAP, but they aren't even close to being a replacement for the Gripens.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Every time we put F-4s head-to-head against Su-30s, the Phantoms lost (I should know, I was one of the goons who got shot down).

To be fair, that's because when the Phantoms went head to head with the Flankers, the Phantoms were out of missiles and the Flankers weren't.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Okay, I moved two (but only two) Gripens to CAP. The distinguishing point of my plan is that it's a gamble anyway, but this should at least give us a chance vs just losing a bunch of Phantoms in case the Su30s make it to the party.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Planning Phase closed. I'll get the missions up shortly for voting. If you have a plan and are late just post it and we'll add it in.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Loel posted:

Operation Whirlwind

At this point, our plans diverge in only three respects. I like the general thrust of your plan, although I do have some questions.

One, hitting the Free State (I hit it with two Phantoms, you don't hit them). Do you have a contingency plan for next mission if the Free State crosses the highway and heads south into our territory?

Two, you use a large number of iron bombs, I use a smaller number of precision munitions. Any reason you're using so many iron bombs? I understand that it increases our max bomb load. But, they're less-accurate and have to be dropped at lower altitudes and lower speeds -- which increases the risk of getting shot down.

Three, you don't make any deep strikes -- and instead task the German Tornadoes with SEAD using HARMs. Given the previous Tornado-HARM debacle, do you have a plan to avoid this happening again?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

1. Im betting they wont, they are already trying to get hired by us. Call it a christmas truce.
2. I grabbed a bunch of ammo that said land targets :v:
3. HARM missiles are built for SEAD I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh and planners I would request that you have the Reaper move up ito sanitised airspace instead of remaining on patrol in the same spot the whole time, it's the best thing we have at actually spotting ground troops.