Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

necrotic posted:

The linked url is "I've_Just_Joined_Goonwaffe,_Now_What?"

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

iospace posted:

shut up idiot

shut up idiot

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

The
"is there some sort of manual
The Goonwiki is one of the most complete guides to EVE online."

link to the wiki requires a login. Is that not targeting people who have not played or are not current members?

The instructions "targeting people who have not played or are not current members," are immediately below what you copied and pasted. In bold. With working links:

quote:

Ok, I'm not a J4G, I want into Goonwaffe. Now what?
Go read this helpful wiki entry, and it will guide you through the steps to join!

Are you Vacationed and want to come back to GoonWaffe?? (This means your forum group says Vacationer on GF.com)
https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Joining_GoonWaffe_101 can also help you! Follow the steps for Process B or C, whichever applies to you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

<3

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
:buddy:

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Thanks to this you was the first person I have recognized by style of posting here. Please, never change.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Viva Miriya posted:

I will absolute agree with this, from my limited experience. However I have very little faith in the sociopaths this game attracts. For all the dudes that are just chilling and enjoying a spaceship game, there's enough shitbags I've seen about of all stripes that I feel confident painting you all with the same shitcolored brush. That covers PL, GSF, and EVE in general. It's gonna be p hard to convince me otherwise because my bias is that strong. And I have no desire to play EVE to find out. If its not the case then hey, more power to you all, but I highly loving doubt it.

What is an E/N post doing here? You should be posting this there; however, luckily for you I am queued in to the E/N goon hivemind and I can share with you the response you will get if you put this post where it belongs.

1. Seek help;
2. Sever.

PS. The game doesn’t ‘attract sociopaths.’ I wrote and presented an academic paper on this, and may even have published it (I don’t recall).

Essentially EVE online is an example of how particular sets of material conditions—in this case in the form of game mechanics—lead to very specific sets of institutional and individual behaviors.

In other words, it is not that the game mechanics allow for certain types of social behaviors, the mechanics (and by extension, the broad material conditions of socio-economic production on a grand scale) create those behaviors.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 29, 2019

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Maneck posted:

The instructions "targeting people who have not played or are not current members," are immediately below what you copied and pasted. In bold. With working links:

And everything leading up to that (Except the "RETURNING TO EVE?" top part.) is targeting people who haven't a clue about the game itself and/or are not members. I get the impression you just like to reach for an argument without thinking it through. And as someone who has never played the game prior to this past week, I haven't a clue what a J4G is.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hasselblad posted:

And everything leading up to that (Except the "RETURNING TO EVE?" top part.) is targeting people who haven't a clue about the game itself and/or are not members. I get the impression you just like to reach for an argument without thinking it through. And as someone who has never played the game prior to this past week, I haven't a clue what a J4G is.

Let me enlighten you by pointing to this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632872

Beware, some of my posts in there (if not all) will make your eyes bleed.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Dalael posted:

Let me enlighten you by pointing to this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632872

Beware, some of my posts in there (if not all) will make your eyes bleed.

they did, my god

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

ZombieLenin posted:

PS. The game doesn’t ‘attract sociopaths.’ I wrote and presented an academic paper on this, and may even have published it (I don’t recall).

The game may not attract sociopaths, but there's definitely a not small number of people that have very obvious sociopathic tendencies in EVE.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xolve posted:

The game may not attract sociopaths, but there's definitely a not small number of people that have very obvious sociopathic tendencies in EVE.

Sociopaths have better things to do than play EVE.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Rutibex posted:

There are better things to do than play EVE?

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Rutibex posted:

Someone let Lex Arson know.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
There are many types of EVE players, the only commonality is we're all idiots.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
as above, so below

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So in the two and a half months I have been back I have been mostly trading. I hit 30bill today, which has me curious.

If I buy the injectors to make a Rorqual pilot (around 30), how long will it take to make that isk back?

I am trying to decide what the most efficient isk generation method would be for me because I want to be rich-ish. :homebrew:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

So in the two and a half months I have been back I have been mostly trading. I hit 30bill today, which has me curious.

If I buy the injectors to make a Rorqual pilot (around 30), how long will it take to make that isk back?

I am trying to decide what the most efficient isk generation method would be for me because I want to be rich-ish. :homebrew:

That depends on how long you plan on poop socking that Rorqual every day. But with 30b I would buy a super carrier instead.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

how much does one rorq make per hour assuming max skills and sucking the right rocks?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Hexel posted:

how much does one rorq make per hour assuming max skills and sucking the right rocks?

Depends on if you're refining the ores into minerals yourself, or selling them directly on the market. Depends on how good your refining skills are, and if you're using an ideal refining location. Regular rocks or moon goo?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hexel posted:

250 mining ice, 500-1b mining high end moon ore, 150 mining belts/anoms

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

bear in mind that ice takes 4 hours to respawn and that there's a tiny amount of good poo poo in it compared to the regular rear end racial topes

also high-end moons take 2 months each to pop in our space (though we have them staggered so a few come out each day, plus locust fleets)

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I don't know who there new posters are but rutibex and dalael are trash.

Also I reinstalled jabber and miniluv popped some 100b thing while I was watching chat.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I don't know who there new posters are but rutibex and dalael are trash.

Also I reinstalled jabber and miniluv popped some 100b thing while I was watching chat.

Cool story bro

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I mean, that was a stellar post. Posting to say you reinstalled Jabber? Holy poo poo, call the news network, announce it to the world. I will endeavour to make these type of great posts from now on.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Dalael posted:

I mean, that was a stellar post. Posting to say you reinstalled Jabber? Holy poo poo, call the news network, announce it to the world. I will endeavour to make these type of great posts from now on.

I'd rather have the happy news that he's back on jabber than having to go through your useless drivel. EVE hero on jabber >>> EVE nobody on SA.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Havent downloaded it yet but is jabber like discord?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

It's like discord like how msn messenger is like discord

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Hasselblad posted:

It has similarities but I believe that Jabber's strength lies in the amount of people that can be connected to it at once.

Taken from Reddit:

quote:

Jabber is a text based chat client -- it's well supported across basically every platform. It's free and easy to run and can, notably, be integrated in to an alliances central authentication system so you have one account across every service. This helps for convenience but also identifying spies and auditing after leaks etc.

quote:

Age is also (as someone else pointed out) an issue.
Discord is very new. Jabber isn't. And people have been using it for years. They have everything set up for it already. So why bother changing? Especially to something which has a business model which is a touch dubious.
I run a jabber server, and I know it'll be there in a years time.
I invest in setting up the additional infrastructure I need to make discord work right (disabling accounts when people leave, granting access as appropriate, etc, etc), and I don't know if discord will still be there in a year

Dalael fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 30, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

because eve is a thing where espionage is actually a thing, having control over your own chat service is helpful

for like 99% of SERIOUS ONLINE GAMING GUILDCLANCOMMUNITIES, something like discord works, but here it is substandard

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Discord is actually built on XMPP like jabber is but it's implemented slightly differently

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

because eve is a thing where espionage is actually a thing, having control over your own chat service is helpful

I feel like if Spies are a thing that the leadership really worries about, they wouldn't have let ASCEE recruit straight from Jita. Also, I am willing to bet that a large enough amount of members sucking rocks in Delve probably have their main in other alliances but i have no evidence.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Dalael posted:

I feel like if Spies are a thing that the leadership really worries about, they wouldn't have let ASCEE recruit straight from Jita. Also, I am willing to bet that a large enough amount of members sucking rocks in Delve probably have their main in other alliances but i have no evidence.

Who cares about low level awox cyno alts when you're any real size of alliance, no one really beyond being conscious that you're always scouted unless local is empty. You worry about spies in leadership positions

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

working mom posted:

Who cares about low level awox cyno alts when you're any real size of alliance, no one really beyond being conscious that you're always scouted unless local is empty. You worry about spies in leadership positions

Oh I'm pretty sure you are right. I honestly wouldn't know. I'm just not sure what spies and discord have to do with each other in the context of Querns' post. Unless he means that a spy could be granted server admin and close everything?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Xolve posted:

Again, its not the people that are sociopaths its that they play a game that creates behavior that would be, in real life, considered sociopathic.

I can promise you I am not a sociopath, but for 7 years I was a pirate in eve and shot everyone I could in the face, including noobs who did not know any better. That’s because the game mechanics not just incentivizes this behavior, but creates an atmosphere where that is the expected behavior.

In real life I would never randomly punch kids (or anyone) in the face at all, let alone do it then laugh about it. In eve if I popped a 14 year old kid, and he freaked out about it I would laugh then probably post his tears on the internet.

Rutibex posted:

That depends on how long you plan on poop socking that Rorqual every day. But with 30b I would buy a super carrier instead.

Ugh. I have almost perfect skills for one on my main, but I loving hate the regular capitals I already own.

In fact, I occasionally think about extracting those 30 or so million skill points; however, the only thing that stops me is my eve sp OCD and the realization of how many of those skill points I would lose.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 30, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Discord is actually built on XMPP like jabber is but it's implemented slightly differently

The protocol isn't the important part, it's owning the chat service. Discord doesn't supply identifying information about the people connecting to your instance other than account name. That makes it horribly insecure for the purposes of super important and not at all blowhardy internet video game espionage. Plus, a sufficiently maladjusted creep can intentionally post things that violate the discord TOS, then report the server to get it shut down.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dalael posted:

Oh I'm pretty sure you are right. I honestly wouldn't know. I'm just not sure what spies and discord have to do with each other in the context of Querns' post. Unless he means that a spy could be granted server admin and close everything?

discord shows everyone in the same user list and displays all the roles that a user has, so if you have a person who is a spy and needs the spy role to gain access to the spy channel, everyone who can figure out what the spy role name is will figure out that they're a spy which is free intel for the enemy

on top of that, managing multiple discord accounts is a pain in the dick but it's incredibly easy to figure out who someone is just by idling in the r/eve discord server, the imperium server, bombers bar server, and spectre fleet server.

meanwhile on jabber, you have no access to any of that information just by scrolling down the sidebar user list thing

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The protocol isn't the important part, it's owning the chat service. Discord doesn't supply identifying information about the people connecting to your instance other than account name. That makes it horribly insecure for the purposes of super important and not at all blowhardy internet video game espionage. Plus, a sufficiently maladjusted creep can intentionally post things that violate the discord TOS, then report the server to get it shut down.
this too

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Dalael posted:

Logs, access controls, owning the actual server etc etc though you can set a bot up as server admin that can stop ~undesirables~ from getting access to secure channels

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

discord shows everyone in the same user list and displays all the roles that a user has, so if you have a person who is a spy and needs the spy role to gain access to the spy channel, everyone who can figure out what the spy role name is will figure out that they're a spy which is free intel for the enemy

on top of that, managing multiple discord accounts is a pain in the dick but it's incredibly easy to figure out who someone is just by idling in the r/eve discord server, the imperium server, bombers bar server, and spectre fleet server.

meanwhile on jabber, you have no access to any of that information just by scrolling down the sidebar user list thing

this too

working mom posted:

Logs, access controls, owning the actual server etc etc though you can set a bot up as server admin that can stop ~undesirables~ from getting access to secure channels

Oh. Okay, now it makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation, that's the sort of stuff i never really thought about before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

i cant believe people still care enough about eve to do super important and not at all blowhardy internet video game espionage