Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Soon, the streak for not hitting 100 in Texas will be a perpetual "0 Days."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

IT BURNS posted:

Soon, the streak for not hitting 100 in Texas will be a perpetual "0 Days."

what a username/post combo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Should've sent a poe-- hrmm

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

poemdexter posted:

I've been waiting for this moment since I first set eyes on Al Gore.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Doesn't that usually result in some kind of default judgement?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Waffle House posted:

Doesn't that usually result in some kind of default judgement?

This is not a criminal trial, it is a political process wherein the Senate votes after seeing the evidence but for the most part they're going to vote how they're going to vote, regardless of what is presented

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I say four-fifths to convict. It's going to be Dan Patrick's decision, and the rules he allowed on the floor are like specifically anti-Tony Buzbee rules. Right now they'd be working the hell out of the refs in the media but they can't and so they can't build up the "grassroots" outrage.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Let's be fair, 9/10ths to convict. Really puts the onus on the prosecution.

Every now and then, it's fun to read the OP and :lol: at the idea of Texas becoming a battleground state in any sense other than a Mad Max hellscape.

Xarthor posted:

This fact, along with the magic of latino sex, has made astute political observers note that Texas may become a full-fledged battleground state within the next X-number of years. Just what exactly that number is seems to depend on political ideology and hopefulness but the general consensus seems to between 6 and 15 years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that reminds me

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1676924242045067265

But I thought that district flipped forever!! Forever and ever because of one heavily targeted special election!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

IT BURNS posted:

Every now and then, it's fun to read the OP and :lol: at the idea of Texas becoming a battleground state in any sense other than a Mad Max hellscape.

we've got six years left!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1677006409852936209

A plain reading of this headline would be that these people died as a direct result of the passage of HB 2127 into law in early June, right?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Those are just two facts left to the reader to associate or not, presented together for no particular reason

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The law doesn't go into effect until September 1, only two cities - Dallas and Austin - have water break ordinances, and none of the people cited in that article save one live in either city. I am extremely sympathetic to opposition to statehouse tyranny but don't loving lie about poo poo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zoux posted:

The law doesn't go into effect until September 1, only two cities - Dallas and Austin - have water break ordinances, and none of the people cited in that article save one live in either city. I am extremely sympathetic to opposition to statehouse tyranny but don't loving lie about poo poo.

Lies? In my Texas government and journalism?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Lmao just lmfao at the thought that a government that won't let localities tax plastic bags would care in the slightest about giving people water breaks.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1677079219757563904

lol I didn't know about this part

quote:

Abbott, his successor, never served in the Legislature, and his relationship with the body has long been fraught. In 2015, his first session, he promised Republican lawmakers in the House he’d back them strongly for reelection if they supported his modest plan to expand pre-K programs in Texas, which was opposed by conservatives. The program passed, but when it came time to pay its proponents back, Abbott broke his word. “No appearances, no endorsements, no fund raisers,” wrote Quorum Report’s Harvey Kronberg of Abbott’s support for those he cajoled to vote for the bill.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why is he such a lil shrew

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

i say swears online posted:

why is he such a lil shrew

How much does it cost him to show up to a party for a photo op and eat mediocre snacks?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unbelievable levels of Not That Guy

That article is savage btw

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I want everyone to remember the day, july 6 2023, when I reposted a Chris Hooks article from twitter before zoux

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

quote:

A plain reading of this headline would be that these people died as a direct result of the passage of HB 2127 into law in early June, right?

It's not particularly misleading. It's not even a stretch read to get "they passed this law and since then it has become even more apparent they really shouldn't have."

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

IT BURNS posted:

Lmao just lmfao at the thought that a government that won't let localities tax plastic bags would care in the slightest about giving people water breaks.

It's 10 minutes every 4 hours, that isn't going to save lives unless they use the break to pass out and get into insane medical debt. The National Weather Service recommends only working/exercising for 15 minutes with a 45 minute rest every hour when you get to the 110+ heat index.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I want everyone to remember the day, july 6 2023, when I reposted a Chris Hooks article from twitter before zoux

Self promotion on SA is so gauche, all you did was help him.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dameius posted:

Self promotion on SA is so gauche, all you did was help him.

quote:

There is real substance being debated, but this being Texas, the policy dispute is secondary. There’s an overarching psychodrama taking place in Austin that’s a lot more interesting and arguably more relevant. To wit: Can Governor Greg Abbott cajole his way into being loved or respected or feared by any member of the Legislature who does not already feel that way? Has he figured out the One Weird Trick, as internet ads sometimes have it, that will allow him to finally—finally—find acceptance?
tell me zoux didn't write this paragraph

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lots of smart people say to wit

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i will love,accept, and most importantly fear governor greg abbott.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If we are gonna get our asses kicked across the country, I’d rather it was a Machiavellian political genius instead of jack lemmon from glen gary glen ross, it’s insulting

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

Lots of smart people say to wit

to wit: me.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Vis-a-vis my enormous and throbbing intellect

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dameius posted:

to wit: me.

mot juste

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lupe beef fajitas are p good I think. Better than Pappacitos but worse than a good local spot.

I enjoy their tortilla soup.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lobster shirt posted:

i will love,accept, and most importantly fear governor greg abbott.

gregory abbott is a warrior from on high

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

If we are gonna get our asses kicked across the country, I’d rather it was a Machiavellian political genius instead of jack lemmon from glen gary glen ross, it’s insulting

lemmon was able to sell the leads, abbott can't get in the office after hours

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His whole voucher strategy has been baffling. Not to mention passive aggressively vetoing half of a particularly uninteresting local calendar as ‘leverage’ with his smug little statement.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

mot juste

sic semper erat, et sic semper erit :agesilaus:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i don't get the shooting hostages stuff. that doesn't even increase leverage in real hostage situations! that's not what hardball is!!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

i say swears online posted:

yeah i don't get the shooting hostages stuff. that doesn't even increase leverage in real hostage situations! that's not what hardball is!!

While maintaining leverage is important, it's not as important as property tax relief for Texans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The theory is that they’ll bend the knee because if they play ball he will magnanimously add all those bills back onto a special special session to pass all the vetoed bills, but since he didn’t have the grapes to veto anything significant, it was pointless. No legislator is going to lick his boots just so they can pass a bill authorizing Nueces Co. Hospital District #3, at this point they’d rather die

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

m...my appraisal district databases...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I didn't realize (or just forgot) that Rick Perry was the governor for 15 years. I guess we're stuck with Greg for a while longer.