Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So it looks like the 16" M1 Max has a higher power mode that the 14" will not have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

xgalaxy posted:

So it looks like the 16" M1 Max has a higher power mode that the 14" will not have.

The Turbo button is BACK! Hail Tim Apple!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So the M1 Max is the most powerful laptop on the planet right?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
For its size and wattage definitely. There might be windows laptop that weighs >10lb and pull over 300w thats faster.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Will Apple stores actually do memory upgrades on 2018 Mac minis?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

Yeah, as far as performance goes the M1 Macbook Air is probably most normal people really need. Hell, if you have electricity around you probably can get away w/ almost any thin and light from the past 5 years bc the only real significant game changer is battery life. Unless, of course, you really need to save 30min on that video you edit once a month.

I want to get into iOS development, but the only thing holding me back on an M1 MBA is... the design language, lol. I really want to see Apple make an arm "design" that'll look relevant for years. If the next MBAs come out and don't do a design refresh I'm gonna feel real dumb, but, yeah, lol. Here we are.
Get some skins for a white bezel and colored body :v:

Bob Morales posted:

Someone would have to write ATI drivers that would work in a M1 system, right? Apple has to have this in place for a future Mac/iMac Pro, right?
iMac Pro is already dead barring bringing the name back, and even if they did do some iMac configuration to fill that gap, it'd probably just be like dual M1 Pro/Max (with the Mac Pro being having dual and quad options). I can't see them bothering with third party GPUs in the iMac with what they're pulling off themselves.

Mac Pro who knows :iiam:. The rumored smaller one might just be a trash can redux, or it might have PCIe slots cause ultimately, more GPU is more GPU (along with other uses for slots). It'd be something probably released later next year, which means perhaps a teaser at WWDC along with dev presentations on how to use discrete GPUs on Arm Macs in macOS [CA city]. Or if they still have a big Mac Pro replacement on the way it might be another year and macOS version later for all we know.

Back to eGPUs though, I kinda imagine the demand will go way down cause Arm Macs will be decent to good. At that point the main reason left to write third party GPU drivers is purely for their most niche computer.

SourKraut posted:

Will Apple stores actually do memory upgrades on 2018 Mac minis?
Maybe if you buy their overpriced RAM? It's been a while since I've heard of people having upgrades done there. Could probably find whatever random independent local Mac shop otherwise, or just install yourself.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hasturtium posted:

It's a buggy, sluggish OpenGL 4.1 implementation that was behind the times when it was new, stayed in a state of neglect and de facto deprecation long before Apple officially announced it, and seems to break a little more with each new release. Valve's actively funding the Zink wrapper, which wraps around Vulkan (and in macOS's case, the MoltenVK wrapper which itself wraps commands to Metal), so hopefully by the time Apple snuffs out OpenGL on the platform outright there will be options for the jillions of programs still using it.

Apple's doing its own thing GPU-wise. As I said earlier, I expect Asahi Linux and friends will use eGPUs way before Apple decides to relent.

So wrappers are a fine stepping stone but when are we gonna get native AAA games? 10 more years?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Never

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I wonder if you could create a crowdfunding website where people could prebuy a specific port of a game.

So like say it’s going to cost a dev $500k (I don’t know how much ports cost :v:) to port their PC game to Mac.

If the game’s popular enough you could probably dig up 7,000-10,000 nerds who’d shell out $50-$100 or more to special-request it and pre-fund that work.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wonder if you could create a crowdfunding website where people could prebuy a specific port of a game.

So like say it’s going to cost a dev $500k (I don’t know how much ports cost :v:) to port their PC game to Mac.

If the game’s popular enough you could probably dig up 7,000-10,000 nerds who’d shell out $50-$100 or more to special-request it and pre-fund that work.

You could call it ... Pick Starter? Stick Stopper? Flick Stapper?

There's a good name in there somewhere.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I prefer console gaming mostly but with dolphin working, I just need age of empires, fallout and Skyrim running and I’m set for laptop games.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

You could call it ... Pick Starter? Stick Stopper? Flick Stapper?

There's a good name in there somewhere.

Yeah, I know devs on Kickstarter already do this. But that’s exclusively the domain of a developer taking the initiative to go “I think I’m gonna port this game, let’s see if we can get it funded on KS/IGG/etc”.

I’m talking about a site where fans could also request games to be ported. Where, say, a forum of people could put up bids for games.

So instead of like a rando emailing/tweeting at/commenting to a company about their pie-in-the-sky desire to get a Mac port of Game X, or a bunch of disconnected forum posts wishing for more Mac games, a developer could see hey, 30,000 people appear to be really interested in a Mac port of our game. Let’s see how many of them are willing to finance it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, I know devs on Kickstarter already do this. But that’s exclusively the domain of a developer taking the initiative to go “I think I’m gonna port this game, let’s see if we can get it funded on KS/IGG/etc”.

I’m talking about a site where fans could also request games to be ported. Where, say, a forum of people could put up bids for games.

So instead of like a rando emailing/tweeting at/commenting to a company about their pie-in-the-sky desire to get a Mac port of Game X, or a bunch of disconnected forum posts wishing for more Mac games, a developer could see hey, 30,000 people appear to be really interested in a Mac port of our game. Let’s see how many of them are willing to finance it

Isn't this what Loki Games used to do for Linux? or some of the MacPorts stuff?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Ok Comboomer posted:

for a triple A game it's like 8 figures to do a high quality port. you don't just need to tweak a couple lines of code you often have to rebuild the entire asset pipeline and sometimes you need to swap the entire engine

regardless, macs aren't going to get triple A games anytime soon because the audience of people who both want to play AAA games AND want to play them on their $4k laptop is tiny and inconsequential. if apple wants to get ports they need a $500 machine that can play triple A games. unless you think apple are gonna ship an apple tv or mac mini at that price point with comparable gpu to their pro laptops it's never gonna happen

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

they need a $500 machine that can play triple A games

someone else succinctly capture this: it's the iphone

why bother with a console when the iphone app store covers the profit they'd generate here with no actual investment from apple?

otherwise they'd have to actually focus on hardware for it, engineering time, pay for exclusives, etc.
Why would they bother?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

for a triple A game it's like 8 figures to do a high quality port. you don't just need to tweak a couple lines of code you often have to rebuild the entire asset pipeline and sometimes you need to swap the entire engine

regardless, macs aren't going to get triple A games anytime soon because the audience of people who both want to play AAA games AND want to play them on their $4k laptop is tiny and inconsequential. if apple wants to get ports they need a $500 machine that can play triple A games. unless you think apple are gonna ship an apple tv or mac mini at that price point with comparable gpu to their pro laptops it's never gonna happen

I mean, the $600-$900 M1 Macs already go toe-to-toe with like a gtx1050, which is a super common card, and do better than lots of PCs costing 2x as much.

The games that run on M1, be it official/unofficial/through Crossover/etc, run surprisingly well, often in spite of poo poo like emulation and wrappers, etc.

And to take a cue from what’s been done with Disco Elysium, etc where the frame rate’s locked at 60—devs can treat the Mac a lot more like a console and optimize or target set frame rates for a given hardware tier, etc.

Metro Exodus already runs on M1 natively. There’s your $500 Mac that can run AAA games.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 22, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, the $600-$900 M1 Macs already go toe-to-toe with like a gtx1050, which is a super common card, and do better than lots of PCs costing 2x as much.

The games that run on M1, be it official/unofficial/through Crossover/etc, run surprisingly well, often in spite of poo poo like emulation and wrappers, etc.

And to take a cue from what’s been done with Disco Elysium, etc where the frame rate’s locked at 60—devs can treat the Mac a lot more like a console and optimize or target set frame rates for a given hardware tier, etc.

Metro Exodus already runs on M1 natively. There’s your $500 Mac that can run AAA games.

I'm not sure game devs are going to count on entry level mac laptops maintaining a similar level of graphics performance compared to desktop gaming PCs long-term. They are great performers for the size/price now, but at some point I think the gap vs PC performance is going to close (and I'm sure game studios would be worried about the same thing before investing millions in building the infrastructure/teams for doing Mac ports).

Also, in terms of AAA games, a lot aren't nearly as optimized as they could be even for PC hardware due to having to poo poo out a sequel every year or 2, e.g. CoD/Warzone. M1 ports of those would probably be even less optimized and might not run so well on entry level Macs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, a game port built for M1 Macs is loving astounding. World of Warcraft ran incredibly well on my M1 Air. I wish other games made a native port for M1 because it clearly is very very powerful in an optimized environment.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You just need a few AAA engines running native. That’s the big hurdle. No need to manually redo assets unless the original assets are too big for M1 for some reason.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Microcenter has the base model MacBook Air on sale for $800

https://www.microcenter.com/product/631513/apple-macbook-air-mgn63ll-a-m1-late-2020-133-laptop-computer-space-gray

In store only.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Shaocaholica posted:

You just need a few AAA engines running native. That’s the big hurdle. No need to manually redo assets unless the original assets are too big for M1 for some reason.

basically every AAA game either uses a bespoke engine or one with so many customizations it may as well be bespoke. that's why indy games that use stock unity or unreal frequently show up on mac or ios but you rarely or never see AAA titles. the AAA titles that do make the transistion often get brand new engines in the process

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Word on Reddit is that the 6% was a glitch.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
pro-tip: Unless you are making a major purchase like a car or a house soon, if you want an extra $200 off, you can open any number of credit cards currently with bonus point sign up offers and you will get $200-$300 off your purchase. many of these also offer 0% financing for the first 15 months so you can pay it off over 15 months with 0% interest.

obviously do the math and budgeting on your own but for me this is a great deal.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ I did this a month ago for the iphone 13 and will get $200 back. Generally you can only do this once or twice in any any ~24 month period before cards with signup bonuses will reject your application.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

the mac will never get a consistent pipeline of AAA games, and i think “well what if we just proactively crowdfunded it” grossly underestimates the cost of the whole venture. it’s not JUST porting that costs money.
there are very few big budget games anymore that don’t have some sort of ongoing content development via DLC/expansions/season passes, a fair number are starting to embrace the idea of crossplay when it comes to multiplayer (or, say, strike deals with epic which is fraught on apple platforms at the moment), and you’d need teams for support, troubleshooting, fixing bugs, all to potentially coordinate with a main studio to roll out combined patches and keep versions in line with each other.
this isn’t even starting to venture into custom tools and workflows, plugins and middleware that may need to be retooled to work with a new platform, etc.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Between emulators, the back catalog, wrappers, iPhone, aren't there like 50,000 games for this machine right now. Count out how many weeks of life you have left, is that enough games.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a lot of games but it's not the typical AAA games people buy a powerful machine to play. I think if the Steam Deck works out the second generation will be worth considering to play 99% of popular PC games. Most popular mobile games don't have much depth to them. More designed to play while taking a poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a lot of games but it's not the typical AAA games people buy a powerful machine to play. I think if the Steam Deck works out the second generation will be worth considering to play 99% of popular PC games. Most popular mobile games don't have much depth to them. More designed to play while taking a poo poo.

the overwhelming majority of AAA gamers aren’t playing on powerful machines, they’re playing on consoles—and for many games that includes the Switch with its 2015 Tegra.

All of PC gaming, from a $700 Dell laptop running League of Legends to some anorak’s $4000 rig, is like less than 5% of the gaming market.

In light of that I’m excited for Apple Silicon’s potential as a gaming platform because it combines the benefits of PC gaming with the uniform architecture and potential for optimization of a game console, and there’s enough horsepower-vs-cost to make it both reasonably accessible and a good experience for users.

Before Apple Silicon, Macs didn’t really ever have a truly compelling value proposition for developers or potential game players. The ones that could be reasonably used for gaming were too costly to be truly ubiquitous and even the ones with decent GPUs were underpowered and hobbled by graphical APIs, the need for hacky workarounds, etc. Intel Macs are like 1% of the desktop gaming space, which we’ve already established as being a tiny fraction of gaming as a whole.

But now that the MacBook Air is loosely about on par with an Xbone, and more popular than its ever been, that opens up a lot of potential users who would possibly see some benefit to being able to play the same games on their $1000 college laptop that they do on their PlayStation and/or Switch.

To jump off of another poster’s criticism of a previous comment of mine, if a developer is already gonna be supporting Xbox Series S/Series X/OneX/OneS, PS5, PS4, PC, probably Switch, and now handling compatibility with Steam Deck, then addressing support for what is likely to be the best selling class of computers in their category (MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are the best selling ultraportable and $1000+ machines, respectively), and which now have basically one/two chips to develop for, and which now are capable of running graphically demanding titles at least at a level competitive with recent consoles (which they were not able to do before, unless you were spending several thousands of dollars), seems like a good call.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

We have intel to thank for the sad state of gaming on laptop. They only needed to provide a GPU with one or two discreet desktop generation behind in order to kickstart mobile gaming or even just make it more viable.

But no, making it as cheap as possible and barely usable is good enough for them for the past two decades.

Imagine shipping a mobile SoC with something that’s only good enough for pure text.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

the mac will never get a consistent pipeline of AAA games

It’s this and the people who think otherwise are delusional

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMKUlsJpov8

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

All of PC gaming, from a $700 Dell laptop running League of Legends to some anorak’s $4000 rig, is like less than 5% of the gaming market.
Where are you getting this stat? As far as I can tell, it’s way more than that.

quote:

Despite the growth in PC gaming, consoles still make up a larger portion of the gaming market. Consoles account for 30% of the 2019 global gaming market at $45.3 billion.1 PCs fall slightly behind with 24% market share or $35.3 billion.2 Mobile, which we’ll discuss shortly, represents the biggest market with 46% share or $68.2 billion.3

From: https://www.globalxetfs.com/video-game-industry-hits-reset-in-2020/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

Where are you getting this stat? As far as I can tell, it’s way more than that.

From: https://www.globalxetfs.com/video-game-industry-hits-reset-in-2020/

You’re right, I confused a statistic regarding the share of PC gamers who built their own rig from off-the-shelf retail parts (ie “high power” builds) vs those who use laptops/prebuilt/work computers with one about the total share of pc gamers vs consoles/etc

My point was to push back on the idea that retail dGPUs are the big bottleneck in most of gaming, when even in the PC space most hardware is actually quite modest by enthusiast standards.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 23, 2021

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
The problem for macs isn’t strictly hardware anyway. Graphics APIs and now ARM are the big barriers.

DirectX is still super ubiquitous and Apple’s stubborn refusal not to support vulkan really hamstrings things - MVK just isn’t a good enough replacement.

Video gaming is whatever, but I think apple is going to lose out big time on AR/VR stuff unless they pull their fingers out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Apparently today is the 20th anniversary of the announcement of the iPod. MacRumors linked to their original story (forum post?) on the announcement and the comment section is filled with hardcore Mac users bitching that it’ll never be successful and asking where the update to their favorite Mac product is.

It’s pretty hilarious. The more things change, the more they stay the same…

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apples-new-thing-ipod.500/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

a neurotic ai posted:

Video gaming is whatever, but I think apple is going to lose out big time on AR/VR stuff unless they pull their fingers out.

I think Apple expects to brute force their way of seeing things through on that front in the same way that they handled Flash.

Right now it’s easy to look at the existing VR/AR space, which is tiny, and say “look at all this infrastructure that Apple doesn’t play nice with” in the same way that people in 2009 said that the internet was full of Flash and built on Flash and all of multimedia was Flash-based instead of HTML5 and that a piddly little mobile phone wasn’t going to change that no matter how many units it sold.

In 2024 when there’s like 50 million Apple Glasses out in the wild the shape of VR/AR will adapt to Apple’s way of doing things.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think Apple expects to brute force their way of seeing things through on that front in the same way that they handled Flash.

Right now it’s easy to look at the existing VR/AR space, which is tiny, and say “look at all this infrastructure that Apple doesn’t play nice with” in the same way that people in 2009 said that the internet was full of Flash and built on Flash and all of multimedia was Flash-based instead of HTML5 and that a piddly little mobile phone wasn’t going to change that no matter how many units it sold.

In 2024 when there’s like 50 million Apple Glasses out in the wild the shape of VR/AR will adapt to Apple’s way of doing things.

If they don’t call them iGlasses I’m going to be pissed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember in like 2003 when all the rumors were like "The i-branding is played out and they're going to drop it"

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Shaocaholica posted:

Sweeney has confirmed that Unreal is coming to AS, and Apple announced Unity in the event. Godot has been native for a while now. Those are the bigger third party ones.

Also worth noting that M1 can just download iOS and iPadOS games right on there from the App Store so it truly has an enormous potential library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Only if the developers allow it and man a lot of them do not