Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trabant posted:

:hmmyes:

Victorian England-rear end network filters.

They sell the same filters to parents, schools, churches, workplaces, and libraries. Exact same blacklists most times. Only difference is how much they charge a given customer category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

priznat posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ/status/1579951242214006784

I would quit

Such a transparent control ploy. “Oh you want to wfh? Ok wear this on your face for at least 8 hours a day so we know you’re not goofing off!! Why did you remove it for 45 minutes in the afternoon yesterday??”

Do you think your employer needs a VR headset to track your work?

For all the reasons Meta's VR play can be criticized "it could be used to track you" is a weird one.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm reminded of the bit in Infinite Jest where he was talking about the video phones. They were a cool status symbol at first and people aspired to get one and then they all got sick of needing to look great all the time in case they got a call, because people started calling you to catch you in your sweatpants or something. So then someone developed computer avatars of your face that would always look fantastic and then you could answer the phone anytime without needing to worry about wardrobe or makeup. And you could call other people who didn't have it to keep them on their toes.

What I'm saying is that Meta is going to take off once they start selling an upgrade that will automatically meet whatever productivity-measuring behaviour metrics your manager is looking for.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

captkirk posted:

For all the reasons Meta's VR play can be criticized "it could be used to track you" is a weird one.

They may not need it but micromanagement will be a lot easier when all the peons are trapped in the holodeck.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

For all the hubbub about VR masks I feel like they're just a couple of accessibility lawsuits away from commercial nonviability

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

captkirk posted:

Obviously companies can track people a number of ways, the real gross thing here is that they assume the employee will be locked into their little virtual cube for the duration of their workday. It’s less about tracking and more about control.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

priznat posted:

Obviously companies can track people a number of ways, the real gross thing here is that they assume the employee will be locked into their little virtual cube for the duration of their workday. It’s less about tracking and more about control.

Yeah, that's the weirdest part to me (I mean, aside from ADA issues, motion sickness, etc). They're introducing this virtual reality poo poo into the office, then (1) designing the worlds to look like an office, and (2) having people sit at their desks in their real offices, because they've cut back on WFH and want everyone back on site again.

Employees are sitting in a real cubicle with a headset that displays a digital version of themselves in a digital cubicle. That's loving sick.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Everyone will complain about how dumb it is no matter how high up the chain you go and always point to someone else.

I like the parallels between corporate and having a toddler at home. No you can't eat chocolate for breakfast. Them the rules, oh well, nothing I can do about that, sorry kiddo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Renegret posted:

No you can't eat chocolate for breakfast.

:geert:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's just, ya know, no room in the budget for a chocolate breakfast. No you can't look at the budget. What's that? You see mommy eating chocolate right now? No you don't, that's not what you think it is, now close your eyes for a second so I can take a bite.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Aww poo poo everyone, Santa couldn't come this year, Rudolph was too sick. Oh man and your raises were on his sleigh too. Oh well, it is what it is. What can you do.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

E: phone posting and I replied to something out of date; please disregard

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

Everyone will complain about how dumb it is no matter how high up the chain you go and always point to someone else.

I like the parallels between corporate and having a toddler at home. No you can't eat chocolate for breakfast. Them the rules, oh well, nothing I can do about that, sorry kiddo.

At least when I tell the toddler there's no breakfast chocolate, I actually have her best interest in mind.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The headsets cost double a cheap work computer. That’s going to be a stopping factor much more than every single worker unanimously hating them

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sundae posted:

At least when I tell the toddler there's no breakfast chocolate, I actually have her best interest in mind.

I just don't wanna share my secret stash :shrug:

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

skipdogg posted:

Oh boy, we're adding peer feedback to our Q4 performance and development review. I hate this poo poo, but I recognize you have to play the game if you want to get ahead.

Honestly, I feel like peer review isn't necessarily bad for your quarterly or annual performance reviews.
They can bring quite a bit of balance when your boss might be lacking information.

I was able to write 2 reviews for 2 co-workers last year (both got promoted, 1 was able to get moved to supervisory role) and I was told directly by global manager that those reviews is what was able to get them the promotions into their new department,

(They came out from the home Engineering office to help us field rats and both did really quite well.)

In other news, I am back at the same project location for the 3rd time in.... 12 years.
I'll wager after 1-2 years I'll get bored and want to move again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
6 meetings on this Friday (+another one I am going to skip). This is unacceptable.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Lockback posted:

6 meetings on this Friday (+another one I am going to skip). This is unacceptable.

I am going to set up some time for us to discuss your attitude

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Tomfoolery posted:

I am going to set up some time for us to discuss your attitude

Should we have a pre-meeting alignment?

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Good question. Who would best be able to help inform

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Tomfoolery posted:

Good question. Who would best be able to help inform

I have an opinion you didn’t ask for on a barely related topic.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think I heard you say something about cost and we are also concerned about cost.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

i'm talking but my audio doesn't work

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

ThePopeOfFun posted:

i'm talking but my audio doesn't work

We can’t hear you.

Did you hear us ThePopeOfFun? We can’t hear you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sorry im not on camera i have connection issues!! *does not have connection issues*

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

theHUNGERian posted:

Yes. Please include me. I need to update the slide deck for senior management

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

<very distant underwater noises>

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Can you hear us? I don't know if *person* can hear us.

*person is talking in chat as we speak, telling us they can't hear anyone*

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Alright, we’re going to give <person not invited to this meeting> a couple more minutes before we get started.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

<Distinct toilet flush>

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you have background nose please put yourself on mute

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think the meeting was about me but I was somehow left off the invite, can we reschedule? Lunchtime looks available for everyone

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you have background nose please put yourself on mute

I'm so glad that they added featured to Zoom and Teams to bring up the list of everyone on a call so you can see who is making all the noise and just mute them yourself

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lockback posted:

I think the meeting was about me but I was somehow left off the invite, can we reschedule? Lunchtime looks available for everyone

That's alright, we already assigned all the action items to you!

Haha, just kidding, just kidding :-)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Trabant posted:

That's alright, we already assigned all the action items to you!

Haha, just kidding, just kidding :-)

You sound so fun!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm so glad that they added featured to Zoom and Teams to bring up the list of everyone on a call so you can see who is making all the noise and just mute them yourself

maybe 7% of users are aware of this

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I don't know how people don't have all their poo poo on mute, camera off, and slider closed by default.

I've played online games with literal children who have better mic discipline than these so-called "professionals"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zarin posted:

I don't know how people don't have all their poo poo on mute, camera off, and slider closed by default.

I've played online games with literal children who have better mic discipline than these so-called "professionals"

"John, your audio is breaking up, could you please call in"

"Dang, again? Okay, hang on... *sounds of him manually calling, entering meeting ID* ... Okay, can you hear me? (Okay can you hear me... Okay can you hear me... Wait, there's an echo... Wait there's an echo...)"

At literally Every. Single. Meeting. I know I showed you how to use the Call Me function so that 10 people aren't waiting on you to mash buttons every time. At least he eventually learned how to fix the echo without handholding, those first few months were particularly rough.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The previous place I worked the division all hands meetings would have hundreds of people on but they never set it to mute people by default so there was always a loving racket with random noises and then a reminder to mute, and then repeat. Every. loving. Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Four days of five hour strategy meetings end result: we all agree we're underpaid and that retention is gonna be a serious issue, plus there is no pipeline of juniors coming up.

The best hope is "maybe the current bubble will burst so people stop getting poached".

If this guy from a competitor does come back to me with an offer that would probably be the icing on the cake.