Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If I win the lottery I'm absolutely buying one and posting about how bad it is so you guys don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cakesmith handyman posted:

If I win the lottery I'm absolutely buying one and posting about how bad it is so you guys don't have to.

This is pretty much what the Worst writer over at Jalopnik is doing with a Changli EV. He wont shut the gently caress up about it and I am just waiting for him to have a go fund me for the massive hospital bills he gets when he crashes it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Between AliBaba EVs, imported Kei cars/trucks/vans, and also the recent trend of people driving golf carts everywhere there's going to be lots of dead and maimed people as a result. And after enough people die they will not be allowed on public roads anymore.

The golf cart craze here in Florida is loving ridiculous

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Between AliBaba EVs, imported Kei cars/trucks/vans, and also the recent trend of people driving golf carts everywhere there's going to be lots of dead and maimed people as a result. And after enough people die they will not be allowed on public roads anymore.

The golf cart craze here in Florida is loving ridiculous

I've noticed the gentrification chariots around my neighborhood as well, always with a bunch of kids on them too.

I can't imagine it will end well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

um excuse me posted:

This is pretty much what the Worst writer over at Jalopnik is doing with a Changli EV. He wont shut the gently caress up about it and I am just waiting for him to have a go fund me for the massive hospital bills he gets when he crashes it.

At least it'll just be one thread that you can ignore easily.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

What if you fall in love with what is the most pure essence of all a car was intended to be to begin with?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

gentrification chariots

:lol:

What gets me is people are driving them around on roads (with kids) that are notoriously dangerous with accidents every other day. I was in an accident not too long ago, not far from my house on one of these roads, and I would have been dead if I was in an older car much less a drat golf cart.

If anyone in a golf cart gets hit by any car going over 20mph they are almost certainly dead unless for some weird reason they're wearing a helmet. And around here 45 and up is about the normal speed on these high traffic roads.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

um excuse me posted:

Robert Dunn over at Aging Wheels has a bunch of videos trying to make something of his Wheego EV, which was essentially an American attempt to take lovely Chinese EVs and "upgrade" them for sale here. It's an awful, awful car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYQ8MOhvUlM

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Scratch Monkey posted:

Robert Dunn over at Aging Wheels has a bunch of videos trying to make something of his Wheego EV, which was essentially an American attempt to take lovely Chinese EVs and "upgrade" them for sale here. It's an awful, awful car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYQ8MOhvUlM

He also has a small fleet of Codas, another complete piece of poo poo Chinese car brought to America with electric power.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Terrible because of the government

https://twitter.com/therealautoblog/status/1445440770471706624?s=21

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I want to know, at its root, what sparked this legislation. Maybe a governer or one of their main donors got into an accident with one?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I want to know, at its root, what sparked this legislation. Maybe a governer or one of their main donors got into an accident with one?

Their donors are car dealers. When our murderous moron conservative premier was running, he promised the dealers association regulatory capture and a ban on RHD JDM vehicles in exchange for an $100,000 donation.

They want that 0.02% of used car sales back.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

All it will take is a couple of people dying in a Kei car and it will be all over.

Pretty dumb since you can ride and die on motorcycles all day long, but because it's new and different it's getting more attention.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If they want to ban Kei cars based on their danger to their occupants, they also need to prove that any given incident would be safe in a regular car. Since t
NHTSA doesn't test on them anything in a court would be apples and oranges. Not to mention kei cars are going to be older than 25 years anyways which sort of already makes the bias worse.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Huh, so that's why my taillight went out

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

He also has a small fleet of Codas, another complete piece of poo poo Chinese car brought to America with electric power.

Ah yes, the "wheel bearing destroyer".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Huh, so that's why my taillight went out

dangerously low on blinker fluid?

This is at a drive-thru window. This is getting out of hand.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm still not understanding how a State is able to make illegal somethat is legal at the Federal level.
If it didn't have turn signals or some poo poo, fine, but the Federal government agrees that they are legal street vehicles.

Also, are the majority of other vehicles that are 25 years or older really that much safer? Like, say, any VW old Beetle? Austin Mini? Chevette? Your average 60s-70s Corvette? ANY '70s-'80s Japanese car?

Powershift posted:

dangerously low on blinker fluid?

This is at a drive-thru window. This is getting out of hand.

What am I looking at?
I *think* you're trying to say that you have a low car, or that the window is designed for the current crop of higher-than-thou make-soccer-mom-feel-safe-mobiles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My car is normal. Drive-thru Windows are creeping up. The very bottom of the window on this new building is level with my roof.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Darchangel posted:

I'm still not understanding how a State is able to make illegal somethat is legal at the Federal level.
If it didn't have turn signals or some poo poo, fine, but the Federal government agrees that they are legal street vehicles.

It's not unprecedented. For instance California has stricter emissions requirements than other states, so a car with a modified exhaust might be street-legal as far as the EPA is concerned, but unregisterable in California because CARB wants something different.

It works on lower levels, too. Many states have dry counties with stricter liquor laws than the state as a whole, and of course there are municipalities that ban things that aren't regulated by anyone higher up, like parking your car on the street overnight or painting your door the wrong color.

The US government model is supposed to be that the states have full power over anything that isn't explicitly legislated by the federal government. States' rights and all that.

Powershift posted:

My car is normal. Drive-thru Windows are creeping up. The very bottom of the window on this new building is level with my roof.

I drive a 20-year-old small coupe, and it's becoming increasingly intolerable to drive at night because literally like 80% of the cars on the road now are jacked-up CUVs with headlights at my eye level. That plus the blinding glare of the new white HIDs and LEDs makes it downright unsafe under certain conditions. I loving hate it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 6, 2021

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bad pic but modern trucks are BIG. I've driven my FILs new F250 and it's such a chore because of its size I can't believe people willingly sign up for that crap.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Arson Daily posted:

Bad pic but modern trucks are BIG. I've driven my FILs new F250 and it's such a chore because of its size I can't believe people willingly sign up for that crap.

A 2021 F150 is taller, wider, longer and can have a longer wheelbase than a 96 F350
In the old F350, I barely fit on client's driveways, road lanes always felt too small, I had blind spots that made driving a chore, and the bed was just tall enough to make loading heavy stuff a pain in the rear end.
Why would you want something longer, taller, and wider? I couldn't imagine loading a ton and a half of concrete or 20 sheets of 3/4" plywood onto a bed that high up, and then also having to unload it

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Darchangel posted:

Also, are the majority of other vehicles that are 25 years or older really that much safer? Like, say, any VW old Beetle? Austin Mini? Chevette? Your average 60s-70s Corvette? ANY '70s-'80s Japanese car?

Yes, Kei cars really are that bad especially the vans

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea kei cars sort of assume the fastest you'll ever go is 25. They're inner city cars not meant for sprawling highways that zig zag across the US.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Buggers me how most people over there can fit qn F250 or the like into anything at all. We saw an F150 driving up near the sunny coast and it dead set made the LC200 next to it look absolutely minuscule.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

A 2021 F150 is taller, wider, longer and can have a longer wheelbase than a 96 F350
In the old F350, I barely fit on client's driveways, road lanes always felt too small, I had blind spots that made driving a chore, and the bed was just tall enough to make loading heavy stuff a pain in the rear end.
Why would you want something longer, taller, and wider? I couldn't imagine loading a ton and a half of concrete or 20 sheets of 3/4" plywood onto a bed that high up, and then also having to unload it

That must be why I see so many with immaculate bed liners.

Bring back reasonably sized and priced work trucks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powershift posted:

I can't use most drive through ATMs anymore without both opening the door and rolling the window down.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Richard Bong posted:

Bring back reasonably sized and priced work trucks.

Ford Execs: "Could you speak up?! We can't hear you over the brrrrrrr of the money printer!"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

It's not unprecedented. For instance California has stricter emissions requirements than other states, so a car with a modified exhaust might be street-legal as far as the EPA is concerned, but unregisterable in California because CARB wants something different.

It works on lower levels, too. Many states have dry counties with stricter liquor laws than the state as a whole, and of course there are municipalities that ban things that aren't regulated by anyone higher up, like parking your car on the street overnight or painting your door the wrong color.

The US government model is supposed to be that the states have full power over anything that isn't explicitly legislated by the federal government. States' rights and all that.

I drive a 20-year-old small coupe, and it's becoming increasingly intolerable to drive at night because literally like 80% of the cars on the road now are jacked-up CUVs with headlights at my eye level. That plus the blinding glare of the new white HIDs and LEDs makes it downright unsafe under certain conditions. I loving hate it.

i mean, it's not really everyone else's job to not buy new cars if yours is that old

LED's and Laser headlights are much brighter (and better focused) , to boot most of them have auto-dip and tunnel mode (not sure what that's called, when it creates a light tunnel around other cars)

i'd take an entire fleet of modern vehicles with new LED headlights than older cars with improperly fitted/level'd LED's

might I suggest shoving a truck suspension in your car so you're at the right level to us monster trucks?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

Yes, Kei cars really are that bad especially the vans

The trucks are horrible. When I was in the military stationed in japan, we had a bunch of Kei trucks to get around and one diesel Hilux.

We would fight over that loving Hilux every drat day because no one wanted to drive the Kei trucks :v:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ili posted:

Buggers me how most people over there can fit qn F250 or the like into anything at all. We saw an F150 driving up near the sunny coast and it dead set made the LC200 next to it look absolutely minuscule.

A friend of mine is a property manager for a bunch of subdivided estates in Melbourne, that were built in the 1960s. He constantly gets complaints from people about their neighbours having their cars sticking out past the end of their individual parking spaces. He's also constantly fielding requests for people to extend their garages and carports. Cars are stupid big these days. It's basically an arms race.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Memento posted:

A friend of mine is a property manager for a bunch of subdivided estates in Melbourne, that were built in the 1960s. He constantly gets complaints from people about their neighbours having their cars sticking out past the end of their individual parking spaces. He's also constantly fielding requests for people to extend their garages and carports. Cars are stupid big these days. It's basically an arms race.

They are, but there's stupid big like an LC200 and then there's seppo big which seems to be another level entirely.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Memento posted:

Length is a killer for the double cab utes that are so popular in Oceania. A modern Hilux or Ranger is a full 350mm longer than a full size LandCruiser

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

dissss posted:

Length is a killer for the double cab utes that are so popular in Oceania. A modern Hilux or Ranger is a full 350mm longer than a full size LandCruiser

Yep, and the Hilux and Ranger have been 1-2 on the sales charts since at least 2017.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Blue On Blue posted:

i mean, it's not really everyone else's job to not buy new cars if yours is that old

LED's and Laser headlights are much brighter (and better focused) , to boot most of them have auto-dip and tunnel mode (not sure what that's called, when it creates a light tunnel around other cars)

i'd take an entire fleet of modern vehicles with new LED headlights than older cars with improperly fitted/level'd LED's

might I suggest shoving a truck suspension in your car so you're at the right level to us monster trucks?

lol

All those fancy headlights aren't DOT legal (because of a 1967 law) so manufacturers just disable the features in the US. And it doesn't matter how well focused they are when they start at the roofline of a car and that's before the owner has put on their sick lift kit. Or any damage that has been done to them. Or anything that has broken. Or never ever ever being aligned because most places don't check that at all.

Anyway time to send in that check for the 3 mph ticket that I got from a town that has 1000 residents and that you have no luck of contesting because the entire police/'justice' apparatus are all related to each other and by golly if my bother says you were speeding you were speeding.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Blue On Blue posted:

Is that the thing on new cars that makes it impossible to see out of my wing mirrors because of the blinding light coming out when they're directly behind me? Because gently caress that noise, it can't go away fast enough

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

lol

All those fancy headlights aren't DOT legal (because of a 1967 law) so manufacturers just disable the features in the US. And it doesn't matter how well focused they are when they start at the roofline of a car and that's before the owner has put on their sick lift kit. Or any damage that has been done to them. Or anything that has broken. Or never ever ever being aligned because most places don't check that at all.

Anyway time to send in that check for the 3 mph ticket that I got from a town that has 1000 residents and that you have no luck of contesting because the entire police/'justice' apparatus are all related to each other and by golly if my bother says you were speeding you were speeding.

Auto leveling is completely legal in the US. It just went away because the US doesn't mandate it on anything but HIDs, so LEDs are loving free for all.
Auto-dimming is also legal and present in some cars, but not mandatory and because america is gently caress you, got mine land, no one wants to pay for it.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

nm posted:

Auto leveling is completely legal in the US. It just went away because the US doesn't mandate it on anything but HIDs, so LEDs are loving free for all.
Auto-dimming is also legal and present in some cars, but not mandatory and because america is gently caress you, got mine land, no one wants to pay for it.

I was talking about the active matrix ones that can project light where it should be and not where cars are. Also fog lights should either be illegal or a serious ticket for using them in normal driving conditions at night.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

We see Dodge Rams creeping into the local population here in Oz. Pretty much everyone I know cannot contain their laughter thinking how small the owners dicks are compensating with such a stupidly scaled vehicle. A mate has started to take photos of all the ones he sees that cannot park or drive within the lines and shames them on local community FB groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
oh yeah and they're a hundred and sixty thousand dollars

Here's some more terrible-with-money automotive insanity

Caption was "Customer wants to keep his 04 PT Cruiser. Authorized up to $7,000 for a complete motor rebuild, Clutch, Turbo, and Timing Belt."

Memento fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 7, 2021