Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

Honestly after the first 5 hours or so you become so powerful you'll probably never die in War either.

War has some times where it’ll put you in a no-win situation in the hopes of killing you at least, Mordor didnt do well at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

The other is the fact when I get traffic jams and I make bigger roads, everyone still sticks to a single lane

As far as I understand it, in part thanks to poo poo like that and in part due to proper road design more often than not the solution to fix traffic is more roads rather than bigger ones. You can also go down the rabbit hole of installing Traffic Manager and micromanaging lane mechanics (and then watching in horror as it doesn't fix the busted cim AI anyway). Or as a tertiary solution provide such absolute public transport coverage that literally no one in your entire city drives a car ever again. Traffic solved!

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Jan 11, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

e: On second thought, I won't complain after all :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

War has some times where it’ll put you in a no-win situation in the hopes of killing you at least, Mordor didnt do well at that.

You might not always be able to win but it's virtually always trivial to run away. I replayed it earlier this year on hard (or whatever 1 notch above normal is called) and didn't have a single unintentional death after getting the two ring back. The hard difficulty kind of sucks because it makes orcs take forever to kill and Talion only able to take a few hits... but you can't get one shot (I don't think) and you can get out of almost every situation by holding down the sprint button and running away, or arrow teleporting failing that.

Then you get the dragon summoning ability and can solve 90% of situations by summoning a dragon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

moosecow333 posted:

Deathwaves are even worse because they require a hearse to collect the dead body. All of a sudden a massive part of your city all dies at once, the game throws a ton of hearses at that area causing massive traffic jams, and more people move out because no one has been able to collect that rotting corpse for over two weeks.

The ai also refuses to use multiple lanes on the highway too which really annoys me and I think should have been fixed by now.

Yeah hearing about how you have to make sure every dead body gets cleared out and how it can actually really ruin neighborhoods kinda unsold me on the game. Like, what are you trying to simulate here? Why make this an issue for the player?

I know the 2013 Sim City is still the gold standard for bad agent AI but it honestly feels like any attempt to simulate this on a level other than "more traffic makes things go slower and sims unhappy" is gonna run into weird poo poo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

exquisite tea posted:

The biggest problem with Shadow of Mordor is that everybody who bought it probably got the GOTY edition that came with a bunch of OP runes that trivialized even the opening few hours of the game.

Even when you are deliberately not using DLC runes (since you can tell them apart) it's not that hard of a game. Then again, I am one of those weirdos who played the sequel before I played the original game.

And let's face it, how many deaths in War are because you got poisoned/cursed and then ran into an orc captain with No Chance? (so you got no visual indicator for the QTE that determines if you survive).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Even when you are deliberately not using DLC runes (since you can tell them apart) it's not that hard of a game. Then again, I am one of those weirdos who played the sequel before I played the original game.

And let's face it, how many deaths in War are because you got poisoned/cursed and then ran into an orc captain with No Chance? (so you got no visual indicator for the QTE that determines if you survive).

When the sequel is one of the bundle packages for Xbox One and the first one is off-canon LOTR game released in the middle of lackluster Hobbit-trilogy, getting the sequel before the first doesn't sound that weird to me. At least thats how I got my copy (and have never played the ...of Mordor because of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Third_Age gave me pretty strong argument to steer away from anything reimagined.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mass Effect 2 had many oddities with it's animations. You had twelve allies, so they all had the same interchangeable animations which led to big guys like Grunt getting knocked around weightlessly in cutscenes in the same manner as your space-suit wearing waif who's a third the size. There's also Fem Shep sitting in a fashion no woman ever does since the both Sheps share the same animations.

What other games have strange animations because they're one-size-fits-all?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not exactly the same thing but it is stupid how in the Elder Scrolls/Bethesda Fallout games like 95% of the NPCs have the default body. So like a character can have the head of an old man but his body looks exactly the same as random raider #3.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity uses sidequests around the map to give your characters buffs, which all require certain materials from doing actual combat maps. You can mark a quest to tell you where you can get the materials, which is extremely useful...

Except when it just ends up showing you that all the quests you've marked just require you to get a shitload of materials from Bokoblins, which in my experience is most of the time. Because then most of the map lights up, and then never stops lighting up because of just how goddamn many Bokoblin materials are asked for, and how those drop rates aren't actually as reliable as you expect, even taking into account the fact this is a Warriors game with a bunch of trash mobs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity uses sidequests around the map to give your characters buffs, which all require certain materials from doing actual combat maps. You can mark a quest to tell you where you can get the materials, which is extremely useful...

Except when it just ends up showing you that all the quests you've marked just require you to get a shitload of materials from Bokoblins, which in my experience is most of the time. Because then most of the map lights up, and then never stops lighting up because of just how goddamn many Bokoblin materials are asked for, and how those drop rates aren't actually as reliable as you expect, even taking into account the fact this is a Warriors game with a bunch of trash mobs.

There's a side quest for kill 800 bokoblins, something to do with bombs in the name I think? That's where I farmed mine at

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

There's one in gerudo that's 900 Bokoblins, but it still doesn't excuse that if you need a material or kill certificate from a monster it will just ping literally every single place where said monster appears and its up to you to remember which ones are the places where a good number shows up and which have like, literally only 3 bats when you need 25 kills on them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Mass Effect 2 had many oddities with it's animations. You had twelve allies, so they all had the same interchangeable animations which led to big guys like Grunt getting knocked around weightlessly in cutscenes in the same manner as your space-suit wearing waif who's a third the size. There's also Fem Shep sitting in a fashion no woman ever does since the both Sheps share the same animations.

What other games have strange animations because they're one-size-fits-all?

There's one dlc mission where you infiltrate some rich guy's mansion and male Shepard's wearing a tux and female Shepard's wearing a dress and the animations were still the same, so she's sprinting around in it lol

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Else heart.break() had some great ideas and some of the things you could do as the player in that game were straight up amazing. It's a shame the structure of that game was in a mopey scandinavian adventure game instead of something fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah hearing about how you have to make sure every dead body gets cleared out and how it can actually really ruin neighborhoods kinda unsold me on the game. Like, what are you trying to simulate here? Why make this an issue for the player?

I know the 2013 Sim City is still the gold standard for bad agent AI but it honestly feels like any attempt to simulate this on a level other than "more traffic makes things go slower and sims unhappy" is gonna run into weird poo poo.

I've slowly become convinced that Skylines was never that great to begin with, it just lucked out by a much worse game being released in close proximity.

Maybe with a mix of me desperately wanting to like city builders but not actually liking the standard Sim City model without fully realizing it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

I've slowly become convinced that Skylines was never that great to begin with, it just lucked out by a much worse game being released in close proximity.

Maybe with a mix of me desperately wanting to like city builders but not actually liking the standard Sim City model without fully realizing it.

If not anything else they are really stretching it thin with DLC stuff that should have been in the original game, or sold as a separate, larger expansion DLC a' 30e, not as 8-10 mini DLCs 5-10e apiece.

But this of course is the Paradox model, so it might not be totally under developer's control.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Der Kyhe posted:

If not anything else they are really stretching it thin with DLC stuff that should have been in the original game, or sold as a separate, larger expansion DLC a' 30e, not as 8-10 mini DLCs 5-10e apiece.

But this of course is the Paradox model, so it might not be totally under developer's control.

The actual proper DLCs were pretty lovely up until a certain point, too.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

John Murdoch posted:

I wanted so badly to love it, but I spent twice as much time figuring out how traffic works than everything else combined, and that just killed the experience for me.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You'll probably hit the cap for stamina upgrades fairly quickly. Its not necessary to beat all the vaults and theyre not tied to any achievement.

Its the golden amber upgrades that take forever to grind.

On top of that you can make potions that restore a fair bit of stamina, and you can pop them any time using the dpad. No pausing to drink one/eat food, you just hit the button.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I wanted so badly to love it, but I spent twice as much time figuring out how traffic works than everything else combined, and that just killed the experience for me.

I am yet to build an industrial area that isn't complete loving disaster of a traffic. It seems that people really do not like taking subway and connecting bus to their jobs at the industrial area. And I have made several attempts at putting wreight stations and cargo terminals close enough so that the cargo does not have to take highway anywhere.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Der Kyhe posted:

And apparently it's still one of the most profitable Steam games (and one of the oldest single player games on that list), so unfortunately(?) that looks like a winning strategy for them.
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/BestOf2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

The problem is that city builders have gone all in on traffic management being the centerpiece, when

1)The simulation rarely if ever works in a way that makes sense
And
2)I don’t care about traffic management, let me just have my weird digital bonsai tree.

Sim City 3k is still the best city builder of all time because of this. SC4 is great but it’s the start of the traffic obsession in the genre and suffers for it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sim City 4 had a big expansion pack (was gonna write DLC but double-checked myself :v:) that added a bunch of traffic management options and was built into later editions of the game, between that and the sterile presentation I never really got into it. Didn't like the regions concept much either.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
I don't think they expected their game to become the (modern) city building standard that knocked SimCity of the pedestal, though that wasn't hard :cheeky:
Cities Skylines while okay on its own is definitely a shining example of a game where the modders have made it what it is, I just can't play it without them.
It really needs a sequel that can fix the underlying traffic/agent issues and include the best of the best mods. Not endless DLC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm not sure if you could call Anno city builders or not, but they've completely replaced SimCity and Skylines for me.

Pictured: small thing dragging 2070 down. Namely, cows. These goddamn cows. They take up so much room and drag down the island's ecobalance, which the cows don't care about but the fruit I'm growing on this same island (combined with the milk to make bio drinks) sure does.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I cant play OUTLAST because i cant even make it past the first scare goddamnit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Maybe you should give it a try with the tv turned on!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
It's weird in Forza Horizon 4 that you can use any car in any event and the rest of the field will be adjusted to match your performance. I like the game better than it's more serious stablemate but I think you lose a lot of the satisfaction of realising that x car is well suited for y event by doing that.
What's the point in ever upgrading my car when the rest of the field will just get faster too?
There are some edge cases where you might want a car with a high top speed relative to others or something but it's not usually a concern unless you're playing on Unbeatable.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

verbal enema posted:

Outlast annoyed the crap out of me at first because of the main character’s constant panicked breathing, and it took me like five years to finally suck it up soldier through it. Ended up being totally worth it, the intro is much more jump scarey than the rest, which is a really well balanced horror stealth game. (Screw the “do it in one go on permadeath mode” trophy though.)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Walton Simons posted:

It's weird in Forza Horizon 4 that you can use any car in any event and the rest of the field will be adjusted to match your performance. I like the game better than it's more serious stablemate but I think you lose a lot of the satisfaction of realising that x car is well suited for y event by doing that.
What's the point in ever upgrading my car when the rest of the field will just get faster too?
There are some edge cases where you might want a car with a high top speed relative to others or something but it's not usually a concern unless you're playing on Unbeatable.

You can still get relative performance gains by tuning your car to the top of class you want. You're matches to C-S class cars, but the cars will vary within the class.

Otherwise the classes are mostly for how you want to drive. If you get one of the X class cars, you're going to be a speeding bullet, which you may or may not like. If you want to race C class jalopies that all go slow but are more interesting in the curves, you can do that too.

I liked it, it made all (well, most) cars viable in a race.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Cythereal posted:

I'm not sure if you could call Anno city builders or not, but they've completely replaced SimCity and Skylines for me.

Pictured: small thing dragging 2070 down. Namely, cows. These goddamn cows. They take up so much room and drag down the island's ecobalance, which the cows don't care about but the fruit I'm growing on this same island (combined with the milk to make bio drinks) sure does.

The only thing redeeming cows for me is that you get to combine them with SUPER FLAVOR.

Cows were actually such a annoying resource (as mentioned above) I actually put them on my hell island right next to my oil refineries cause hot drat do I hate having to figure out how to make their pens lay out nicely.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw gently caress. This is the "good" DLC, right?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

The TV is on the game is just that dark.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another Anno 2070 bitch: it is beyond frustrating when I have a formula for a research upgrade I'd really like, the super rotor that should make wind power downright tolerable, but I can't make it because I don't have a randomly generated prototype. It was even a reward for Eden Initiative career points. But I just can't research it until I get an advanced turbine prototype, and it's pure RNG from a variety of inconvenient sources to get one. And I'm just not.

Game's pretty at least.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

gently caress you!!!!!

Dewgy posted:

Outlast annoyed the crap out of me at first because of the main character’s constant panicked breathing, and it took me like five years to finally suck it up soldier through it. Ended up being totally worth it, the intro is much more jump scarey than the rest, which is a really well balanced horror stealth game. (Screw the “do it in one go on permadeath mode” trophy though.)

ill give it another like my 9th whirl

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Control: The game gives me one of those on-the-spot timed missions to go protect some people. So I drop what I'm doing and go to a completely different part of the map. Unfortunately, the only enemies generated for the mission are those guys that run up and explode for huge damage. The three friendlies I'm supposed to protect all get blown up immediately, and the mission fails within fifteen seconds of my getting there. No option to retry (though it wouldn't have done me much good in this case.) What the gently caress was even the point of that?

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I tried a couple of those timed missions in the early parts of the game and got destroyed pretty handily each time. It's best to just wait until near the end when you are more powered up. Not great design there, unfortunately

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Assassin's Creed Odyssey bitching:

Ship battles aren't great. It's fine when it's just one-on-one or one-on-two fights, but the moment you accidentally draw more ships into your battle, it stops being fun and starts being a massive pain the rear end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Control: The game gives me one of those on-the-spot timed missions to go protect some people. So I drop what I'm doing and go to a completely different part of the map. Unfortunately, the only enemies generated for the mission are those guys that run up and explode for huge damage. The three friendlies I'm supposed to protect all get blown up immediately, and the mission fails within fifteen seconds of my getting there. No option to retry (though it wouldn't have done me much good in this case.) What the gently caress was even the point of that?

Those things are just randomly generated filler missions, so you can just safely ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

el oso posted:

I tried a couple of those timed missions in the early parts of the game and got destroyed pretty handily each time. It's best to just wait until near the end when you are more powered up. Not great design there, unfortunately

Although this is what I planned to do and then towards the end they stopped generating altogether. Was looking forward to them, and the trophy :(

But yeah, not being able to retry them was too bad.