Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
we're hosed for as long as people insist on voting against their own interests. ergo - we're hosed forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's right.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

5-15 years until demographics surely become destiny

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1678411714205827075

This isn’t funny at all <:mad:>

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Dan got everything he wanted and the house got a pilot program on a appraisal cap of 20% over 3 years.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

20% cap is...non-egregious

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

looks like my boss got most of the details of the scoop on Friday. she mentioned some sort of credit system that owners have to pass on savings to renters but that seems unenforceable?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

she mentioned some sort of credit system that owners have to pass on savings to renters but that seems unenforceable?

lol yeah loving shocking that. Can't believe they don't want to enforce money trickling down.

Don't worry the free market will sort it out and some landlords will reduce prices to get a competitive edge on and force the rest of the market to move with them.

*Rents rise 100% within 5 years as all landlords move in lockstep*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We could wait to see the language before we go epic late stage capitalism on it

https://twitter.com/mbrownfield/status/1678423182066302977

Well his targeting needs some work

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 10, 2023

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

We could wait to see the language before we go epic late stage capitalism on it

https://twitter.com/mbrownfield/status/1678423182066302977

Well his targeting needs some work

i mean we're years into late stage capitalism

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i mean we're years into late stage capitalism

Zoux has never met a conservative platform he wouldn't defend aggressively until the leopards that eat faces do, in fact, start eating faces.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no I just can't get enough of the genius commentary on these boards as people read A People's History for the first time. It's like when you fix your grandma's computer and she only knows one thing about computers and thinks that's the problem every time 'Is it the modem." No grandma it has nothing to do with the modem. "Are you sure, check the modem".

Money for goods and services? That's late stage capitalism of which the alpha and omega of my understanding is "line go up".

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 10, 2023

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I have never in my life seen prices for anything go down ever for any reason (excluding gas prices but that’s just fluctuations and not real price reductions).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

poemdexter posted:

I have never in my life seen prices for anything go down ever for any reason (excluding gas prices but that’s just fluctuations and not real price reductions).

yes you have

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

poemdexter posted:

Someone has never bought computer parts before

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Or eggs

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The price of something staying the same is actually the price going down.

When you get more for the same amount of money it is the price going down.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

TVs for sure

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when I'm emperor I'll bring back the $1 mcdouble

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I appreciate how far back this goes but I'd love to see it updated

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's text on the compromise bill. I did a quick skim and didn't see anything about renters.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

This is what the meats class is at A&M

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

5-15 years until demographics surely become destiny

yeah i heard that 5-15 years ago too

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Let's just cut to the chase, can this new guy do a kick flip or not?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I went to Terry Blacks and it was like $46 for a pound of brisket. Something must be done, Texas. gently caress property tax bullshit, bring my cost of brisket back down. Priorities, man.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
i'd be curious to see a smilar chart for fajitas. el tiempo in houston is selling them for around $80/lb now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Forced by economic realities to make prime rib fajitas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugh my fancy friends love making rare steak fajitas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I'm not worsening my TMJ by using my incisors to saw through a strip of fajita meat to prevent the whole thing sliding out of the tortilla, I'm not interested

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Wtf is a circuit breaker 20% cap over 3 years?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's just an appraisal growth cap calculated over 3 years rather than one. Effectively it's a 6.67% per year appraisal cap.

https://twitter.com/RBR_Daily/status/1678384885008945153

gah!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

zoux posted:

It's just an appraisal growth cap calculated over 3 years rather than one. Effectively it's a 6.67% per year appraisal cap.

But only for the elderly and are troops of course, anyone else can eat a fat 20% every single year

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No actually the opposite, it's expanding appraisal caps to all real property (under $5m) whereas before it was limited to homesteads.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Manager Hoyden posted:

But only for the elderly and are troops of course, anyone else can eat a fat 20% every single year

You and Zoux are saying markedly different things.

Currently, the cap on the increase of taxable assessed value for a homestead is capped at 10% year over year. Zoux is saying that now it's a rolling three year 20% increase. You are saying it's a 20% year over year increase unless you're a veteran or senior citizen - which probably wouldn't go over well for those politicians if they're raising the year over year cap on like 90% of homeowners.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a current cap of 10% YoY for all homesteads regardless of troop levels or age, as well. 65+ get their property taxes frozen under current law, and some war widows and other people like that also get the freeze.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

There's a current cap of 10% YoY for all homesteads regardless of troop levels or age, as well. 65+ get their property taxes frozen under current law, and some war widows and other people like that also get the freeze.

I know - he phrased it as if the cap would now only apply to vets + elderly.

It looks like it applies to all property - commercial, residential, rental whatever.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Jesus I need to sue my appraisal district then.

I guess I had the wrong impression on the circuit breaker issue from the wording in the Tribune article and looking up how circuit breaker policies work in other states. Just so I'm clear, this one only applies to non-homesteaded properties? Like rental property relief for landlords?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Ok - reading it again - I think the homestead cap stayed the same at 10% year over year and non-homestead properties got the "circuit breaker" at 20%.

I'll look through it in detail - but I dont think the homestead portion of 23.23 was modified they just added 23.231 for non-homestead properties

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 10, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is the only thing I can find about "20 percent"

And nothing about rebates, so I'm not sure Every Texas (formerly the center for public policy priorities) and the lege are using the same definition of circuit breaker.

Trib:

quote:

While some circuit-breaker programs are targeted to renters or other specific groups of taxpayers, it was unclear Monday morning how exactly the Texas plan would work or who it would benefit most.

So we're going to have to wait until it gets explained in committee or on the floor.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Jesus I need to sue my appraisal district then.

I guess I had the wrong impression on the circuit breaker issue from the wording in the Tribune article and looking up how circuit breaker policies work in other states. Just so I'm clear, this one only applies to non-homesteaded properties? Like rental property relief for landlords?

Think so, but also like commercial property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

If I'm not worsening my TMJ by using my incisors to saw through a strip of fajita meat to prevent the whole thing sliding out of the tortilla, I'm not interested

For God's sake zoux, slice across the grain.