Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zefiel posted:

I’m still bitter about being told to make a separate Mega Construx thread, that’s all, sorry

I think there's just a general lack of enthusiasm for it, which both makes it almost out of place in this thread, and a new thread kinda destined to die.

Fwiw I think it's totally fine here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
In the spirit of posting about sets you bought, I tried ordering the Halloween set over the weekend and met with an error. I checked my Credit card / Paypal and everything seemed fine, so I tried again. It worked the second time, but then got two rapid emails showing both orders. So now I'm going to have to try call Lego / email them as soon as possible to see if I'm getting charged twice / two sets are getting sent out to me.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Guys, this is a forum thread. If someone posts some poo poo you don't feel like interacting or engaging with, then ignore it and it'll be buried under new posts in no time. SA is pretty good at self-regulating and I don't see a need to start banning certain discussions. If you have an interesting post about Mega or selling things or some poo poo you just bought or whatever, there's room for all of that. If it's not interesting, people will let you know (often by ignoring it). No need for sweeping "no more of X" poo poo unless it gets really out of control, which IMO it has not.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Maybe to kickstart a bit of discussion, I'm interested in how others manage their Lego collections. I'm moving house next week and will have a dedicated Lego space in the cellar (hopefully my Jorts arrive soon). Prior to this I have just had everything in my office and have mainly used Lego as a sort of stress relief tool and something to collect. One issue I have is wanting more sets than I have space to display and it seems like my Lego collection will only go in one direction (i.e get larger). Lego seem to be releasing sets at such a rapid pace that I can't keep up and I only really like a few themes (Star Wars, Fantasy, Pirates and Space). Years ago if you mentioned an UCS Mos Eisley Cantina there would be zero chance I would pass on it. However, with the Ninjago Gardens, Black Smithy and Barracuda Bay I have made some tough choices with the space I have. What does everyone else do? Do you rotate models on display? Build it once and then part it out for MOCs? Sell off older sets to fund newer ones?

If my new Lego cellar works out like I am imagining and I can have a dedicated work surface for building on I think it could be a really good way to start getting into making custom creations and move away from building the sets for display only.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ugh I'm gonna have to Retr0bright the hell out of my UCS X-Wing. I don't remember putting it anywhere in the direct sun, but so many white parts are yellowed, makes me wonder if it was something else that did it.

Any one done anything similar with decent results?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
mitochondritom, you're really hitting on why I keep talking about selling. My collection got far too big. We moved house and got a house that is 50% bigger than the last house. When I had all of my Lego piled up (built sets, unbuilt sets, the mixed bins I haven't had time to sort yet) I realized there just isn't enough space and there will never been enough space for what my collection was. The reality is I'm not moving house to a larger house again, nor am I getting a storage unit, nor another house to just display Lego in. I realized I had to curate my collection down to what will fit in my house.

I'm not going to find myself cycling out sets a lot. I'll probably cycle out my Islanders and my Ice Planet, but I'm more of a display eternally or get it sold person. Which has led me to being in the position of selling a bunch right now. Basically my financial ability to buy sets has outpaced my ability to display sets and it has caught up with me. For the next two years I'm primarily going to be talking about selling sets. Not because I enjoy it, but because that's how long it will take me to sort through my mixed bins, finish out the sets, and decide which to sell and which to keep.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I have carried out a massive reorganization session and now have freed up a couple of shelves. I could probably fix 3 rows of 3 Base plates, so I will plan out a fun little town / village street scape and go from there.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

mitochondritom posted:

Sell off older sets to fund newer ones?
That's my go-to, especially now that most of what I build is MOCs. Space is at more of a premium than ever. There are a pile of big sets I want, but realistically, I could maaaaaaybe justify displaying 1 of them. I'm pretty much at capacity here, and getting something new means selling something else since I don't want my small home to be covered in LEGO everywhere. I think a few sets, carefully displayed, is a better use of space and makes more of an impact.

I don't really get rid of my MOCs, though. A bunch of those live in a box under the bed because, again, no space to display 'em all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Got anything on the ceilings?

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

The_Doctor posted:

Fishing store SMASH

If the Gravity Falls Mystery Shack gets made I'll be buying two so I can do this to one of them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Right now I have half the dining room covered in lego train tracks because we can't have guests over during a pandemic. Once I'm forced to clear them out I don't have a clue where this stuff will go.

The modulars are on a cabinet downstairs and there's a second one nearby so we have 3 and I'm guessing we can fit 3 more tops.

The ucs Falcon should arrive today but its snowing, not sure if it'll reschedule. I don't even know where to put the box for that until whenever we start it. Hell we haven't even done the smaller falcon my mother-in-law gave us for Christmas.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm getting to the point where I should probably sell of some old sets - but it feels kind of like a hassle since I didn't think ahead and put minifigs and stuff aside, and shipping seems like a hassle (and expensive from Canada)....

Chris Knight posted:

Ugh I'm gonna have to Retr0bright the hell out of my UCS X-Wing. I don't remember putting it anywhere in the direct sun, but so many white parts are yellowed, makes me wonder if it was something else that did it.

Any one done anything similar with decent results?

Mine did the same thing, it probably doesn't help it was in a room with a lot of white walls so that probably is what did it in.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
My "no more room on the shelves for cars" box of MOCs and mods. I can fit like 4 cars the way I have the (heavily truncated) dealership set up right now and I cycle them out semi-frequently. It's kinda sad that they live down in a box though.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

mitochondritom posted:

Build it once and then part it out for MOCs?

That's what I do with the vast majority of my sets. There's a few exceptions (Model Team, a couple of old Technic sets and currently Barracuda Bay) but almost everything else is built once, on display for up to a couple of weeks and then pulled apart and sorted into the rest of my collection. Making MOCs is so much more fun to me, and I can always build the sets again if I want, it's not like the parts are getting lost! The only other things that are on permanent display are a couple of cases of minifigs (examples of every Space theme fig from Classic Space to Galaxy Squad, plus the space-themed CMFs) but they don't take up much space at all.

I also rotate my MOCs out. I'll usually keep them on display for a year, maybe two, but then they get pulled apart and the parts recycled too. It always amazes me how many parts I use in them - it's easy to forget what you put into one when it's been sitting on a shelf for a while.

I'm also another one who has space issues currently, and is therefore not buying much right now. At the moment my Lego room is one of the bedrooms, but with a baby around that will have to change. At least I've got a year or two before she'll need her own room. We've got a car port behind our garage which I'm planning to convert into a sleepout and that will be the Lego room. It's already got a roof and two walls so shouldn't be a massive job to fill in the rest, and once it's done I'll have double the space I currently do (3m x 3m -> 3m x 6m).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I only have a couple on display. Most are stuffed in a closet. I have to go in there again soon to pull some stuff out to sell and to consolidate some more. It's getting to a hard point. I have some sets I've never built but I don't really want to sell. Black Pearl, for instance. I haven't built it because I know the price will drop if I do. But I don't want to sell it because I'm an idiot.

Sometimes I really wish I could find someone to just buy the entire collection in one go so I can put it behind me.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The vast majority of my collection is on display in my office, where I haven't worked since March 12th, 2020 and visited once since to drop off LEGO and grab a monitor:

Nth Doctor posted:

Thanks, it's my office. I took this pic the one day since March I visited (to drop off the Millennium Falcon and Bookshop among other sets)
Here's the current look of the place:

At home I have the stuff I've built since July:
The Razor Crest, Corner Garage, Brick Headz Mando and Child, some minifig packs, the new White House, the dickens and ice rink GWP, a customizable easter egg GWP, Architecture and Brick Headz Statue of Liberty, and WIP Ninjago Gardens. Most are crammed in where they fit on the bookshelves in my home office. The Statues of Liberty are on my dresser, and some minifigs are on my desk where I've been working since March.

The Gardens is too tall for the shelves, so it's currently split which at least makes it easy to bring out just the levels I'm currently working on every night.

No idea what the hell I'm going to do in the after times with the Gardens in particular. The city + docks take up nearly the whole width. Maybe I'll mount some shelves on the office walls.

Edit:

Gunther S Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Billund posted:

We had two sets of NYC, seventy-five extra 1x1 round plates, five different food trucks, a street half full of build your own figures, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored cars, spaceships, robots, banana guys... and also a LEGO store, a space station, a case of brick separators, a pint of loose bricks and two dozen CMFs.
Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious LEGO collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 1, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Fishing store SMASH

Arrr, it's drivin' me nuts!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Zefiel posted:

I’m still bitter about being told to make a separate Mega Construx thread, that’s all, sorry

I love all the chat... it’s all just chill snapping bricks together for me, and there’s a lot of neat stuff out there across all brands. Hell, I wouldn’t have discovered that Mega is actually pretty good these days without someone in here posting their experiences which in turn prompted me to try it out.

mitochondritom posted:

I'm interested in how others manage their Lego collections.

Poorly... I have too many unbuilt sets and too many city ambitions that require a dedicated room I probably won’t ever have in this house. Until then I just keep my favorite sets sprinkled throughout bookshelves in the den, and favorite modulars linked up all across my entertainment console. Actually redoing our living room right now to add in some extra shelving and a dedicated bigass wood dining room table for building sets and having people over to play board games.

Earlier last year I bought a buncha bins to organize stuff and some wire shelving for unbuilt set storage, which worked out well, and then the other half of my built sets are just scattered around on a dedicated shelf I get things organized.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Arrr, it's drivin' me nuts!

:yarr: + :dadjoke:

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I saw this amazing thing on Facebook a while ago. It NEEDS to be made into a set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj6wsnEp58g

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

rockinricky posted:

I saw this amazing thing on Facebook a while ago. It NEEDS to be made into a set.

I'll take "Sets that will never ever be made for $2000, Alex."

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Built some shelves and got more Lego out of storage.

Just a little more to go then I can actually build things.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

rockinricky posted:

That makes me so happy... plus those brick built figs are excellent! Lotsa great individual features and personality, while still retaining that “lego” feel

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ugh...was getting ready to order the blacksmith and saw that the other set I wanted is now out of stock. Guess I'll just have to go to the store in person tomorrow. Hooray?

Valentine's Bear

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
Blacksmith is up now for US. Since Ninjago Gardens didn't go up at midnight figured it was worth mentioning

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I was able to get the blacksmith.

Still regretting not ordering the Lantern Festival or Bonsai tree when I had the chance.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Maybe to kickstart a bit of discussion, I'm interested in how others manage their Lego collections.

I recently came upon my small collection of newer sets, older sets, and some embarrassing childhood MOCs, all in the bottom of a junk drawer and all relatively small. I decided storing models in such a way wasn't ideal. I wanted to enjoy these things I decided to keep, so I just put them all over my desks now. This is what I have on my personal computer desk:

And no photos, but I have a Town Arctic Snow Scooter on my left speaker, and a couple of those old childhood MOCs on my right speaker and router.

Also lacking photos is my work desk, which has a mini Slave I and a small M-Tron MOC that my brother built and gave me forever ago.

Not an answer for big collections, but I am currently enjoying my small collection.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 1, 2021

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

mitochondritom posted:

Maybe to kickstart a bit of discussion, I'm interested in how others manage their Lego collections.

Mine is spilling into the office since the new lockdown over here....

Still waiting for some furniture to put all the Star Destroyers next to each other

There'll be a Cavegod AT-AT there by the end of the week I guess.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Which Star Destroyer is that? It owns.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Thanks for all your replies, I am surprised that selling older sets to make room for newer is more common than I thought. Lego feels like a very permanent thing to me and I can't imagine trying to decide which ones to sell. I like the idea of rotating sets on display and I'll think more about this. I didn't mention that I have a 2 year old who is already keen to mess about with "Daddy's bricks" and so I would like to keep a part of my collection as a big morass of parts for us to mess about with together. Not sure how that will factor into my little Lego cellar at all. Its going to be great.

Jehde posted:

Also lacking photos is my work desk, which has a mini Slave I and a small M-Tron MOC that my brother built and gave me forever ago.

I have this Slave I and remember going to Toys R Us in Preston (UK) to get it. Its so basic compared to today's sets, but I think it is brilliant. I also really like the first cloud car they did:

Was really gutted when I saw the new one in Betrayal at Cloud City because I knew it would not be released as a set on its own.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

sigher posted:

Which Star Destroyer is that? It owns.

Eclipse Super Star Destroyer MoC (basically a super star destroyer armed with one of the death star superlasers and interdictor capabilities...stems from the extended universe and one of the two built (one one destroyed while still in the docks) should have been the emperor's new flagship)

https://moc.bricklink.com/pages/moc/mocitem.page?idmocitem=7135

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

:yayclod: thanks for finally posting a pic of the big black wedge!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Its amazing. Hopefully you have a custom made minifig of creepy Clone Palpatine on board.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Nth Doctor posted:

It's funny how boring the Eclipse looks on pics (and I mean yeah, that pic is awful, but even on well taken ones), and how impressive it looks in real life. The hundreds of black glossy tile modifieds just give this thing such an awesome look! I wish it would be the other way round with the Sandcrawler, as that one looks way to clean with all the polished bricks showing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There needs to be more textures of brick. Powder coat, rough, stucco, pebbled, etc

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

That Eclipse is cool as all :getout:, that Sandcrawler on that table (I have those in black) makes me extremely nervous, that thing probably is close to the weight tolerance? I’m not crazy about how bendy they are under normal circumstances.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

That Eclipse is cool as all :getout:, that Sandcrawler on that table (I have those in black) makes me extremely nervous, that thing probably is close to the weight tolerance? I’m not crazy about how bendy they are under normal circumstances.

No problem there. I love these ikea notebook stands especially when working on big sets. If course you have to keep the center of mass in mind, but the sandcrawler distributes pretty evenly on it. I moved it around couple of times without a problem. Still gonna need to clean all of this up once the other furniture arrives. Still have this to get into some kind of sensible order that's not "I put all the Lego that no longer fits anywhere else into my office". Like one part for historical warships, one part for rebels, one part for imperium, technic....oh and all the stuff I got to make a fishing hamlet out of the old fishing store....

(I think I built something like 70.000 bricks during the lockdown, working through my backlog, and I'll need some time to reorganize all of that, put up stuff to place it in etc.)

And to make matters worse, now my brother is bugging me to explain the whole MoC thing to him because he is kinda fed up with Lego at the moment (as for many, the new streets broke him and his pretty giant city) and he wants to take a look at alternative brands to expand his city and this then again gets ideas into my head and....:negative:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Nth Doctor posted:

I’m usually not a big wedge spaceship fan but that is magnificent.

On the subject of collections because I don’t have a childhood affiliation I rotate them out as I need space and whatever whim I got going on.

I was keeping more than I could ever display of Star Wars sets at one point and I had to get realistic and cut them down to minifigs, AT-STs, Hoth related and Falcons.

For marvel stuff I’ve got favorite minifigs, an ultron final battle MOC, and over sized avengers tower MOC and an Iron Man mansion / hall or armor MOC all in the queue to be built. Embarrassed to say I have almost every iron man / stark minifig except for the mini one from the helicarrier and the toyfair one.

I usually buy one big lot a year from Craigslist, etc to sift through and sell so it’s a good way to rotate the collection. My wife thinks it’s alright that I’m getting some % back on my hobby which is better than most. Justifies me buying the big sets I really want.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I like that star destroyer over the city. Also meant to ask, what kind of bricks is the Eclipse stand made of?

tuo posted:

And to make matters worse, now my brother is bugging me to explain the whole MoC thing to him because he is kinda fed up with Lego at the moment (as for many, the new streets broke him and his pretty giant city) and he wants to take a look at alternative brands to expand his city and this then again gets ideas into my head and....:negative:

Is there a third party company that makes LEGO-compatible road baseplates? Seems like a no-brainer now that they’ve officially stopped producing the old kind and the demand is obviously there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I was surprised to see the blacksmith wasn't backordered already. 2 free gifts as well.

As for lego storage I have the finished basement and roughly 11 ikea tables for my city which is in disarray. Because my son was born mid assembly and I changed my mind on layout. He's definitely interested in the sets though still too small for them. He's a wizard at diplo though.

Sorting project is also only about 25% done.