Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

Self quoting for one last request for if anyone wants in on this. I'm busy tomorrow so I'll create the lobby Sunday afternoon. If you are interested (and LLSix & Jedit), I will need your BAJ handles so I can invite you to the game.

Same as here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So, I just saw that apparently a board game variant for This War of Mine was successfully Kickstarted and goes to retail in October. I can't seem to find a copy of rules and haven't had a chance to check out the prototype gameplay on the KS page.

Anyone have some more info on this? My fiancee super digs the video game, and I thought it was kinda interesting too. It seems to be less of a game and more an experience generator, but I'm not necessarily opposed to that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Skypie posted:

So, I just saw that apparently a board game variant for This War of Mine was successfully Kickstarted and goes to retail in October. I can't seem to find a copy of rules and haven't had a chance to check out the prototype gameplay on the KS page.

Anyone have some more info on this? My fiancee super digs the video game, and I thought it was kinda interesting too. It seems to be less of a game and more an experience generator, but I'm not necessarily opposed to that.
Honestly, I don't think a "game" would really do TWoM justice. I hope it's going to end up slotting into the same niche as the Dog Eat Dog RPG, where it's not really a game you play for fun, but something you play for the experience.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tai posted:

What's the goon census on terraforming Mars? Reddit seems pretty divided on the game. It looks quite a fun concept but weary of the price tag due to the Reddit split.

In Terraforming Mars you topdeck cards and decide how to dispose of them. There's not a lot you can do to play the odds without successful topdecking, so it's a game with a high random variance.

But you've also got to math out your turn after the topdecking and make calls on which cards are worth keeping around, so the RNG isn't just going to drop a win on your lap. It may, however, just not present you a path toward victory.

If you're fine with that much randomness in a game, the near-future space theme and variety of fun technologies to collect and covet can make for an enjoyable experience.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Well I think that was the least successful board game night I've ever had.

Our hosts decided they didn't want to play a game after all and decided we should watch a movie. "you'll really like this one" they said.

I have now seen Bad Grandpa.

Edit: it was Dirty Grandpa. Not bad Grandpa, which is the Jackass one

Blisster fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 10, 2017

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Blisster posted:

Well I think that was the least successful board game night I've ever had.

Our hosts decided they didn't want to play a game after all and decided we should watch a movie. "you'll really like this one" they said.

I have now seen Bad Grandpa.

It could be worse.

They could've made you play Exploding Kittens while you watched Bad Grandpa

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Probably would have been Cards against Humanity if Bad Grandpa is at their "gotta watch it" level

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

speaking of cards against humanity, hot drat i played secret hitler today and it literally felt like someone's bad houserules for the resistance. ive got half a mind to just give a copy of avalon to this club and tell em to try that instead next time

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

FutureFriend posted:

speaking of cards against humanity, hot drat i played secret hitler today and it literally felt like someone's bad houserules for the resistance. ive got half a mind to just give a copy of avalon to this club and tell em to try that instead next time

Huh. Different strokes and all, but I sincerely enjoy Secret Hitler more than Resistance/Avalon. Our game group really gets into it. What felt so off about it?

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Bombadilillo posted:

Probably would have been Cards against Humanity if Bad Grandpa is at their "gotta watch it" level

No they actually love Exploding Kittens. One of them refuses to listen to any rules explanation longer than 2 minutes or so (like she will just pull out her phone and start ignoring everyone). Which is fine, I am ok with playing lighter games sometimes, but man.

Not sure if they are into CAH, but probably.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Skypie posted:

Huh. Different strokes and all, but I sincerely enjoy Secret Hitler more than Resistance/Avalon. Our game group really gets into it. What felt so off about it?

im kinda bad at bringing out criticisms succinctly, so bear that in mind but i feel a huge part of it is that the president/chancellor thing kinda tends to bog the game down more compared to going on missions since the nature of the leader selecting only one person tends to lead to more stalemates and a longer period of just blind voting happening than i'm enthused about. another thing i ended up not being a fan of was how the player elimination is implemented, since if it isn't hitler and you get lovely luck with the bad laws and are still stuck in the blind voting phase, you don't get any information whatsoever.

also ymmv, but i feel the random element of card drawing compared to the more deterministic failing is less of a engaging bluffing mechanic in general, since it tends to promote more focus on 2 people when i largely prefer groups of people bluffing personally.

(also i'm a sucker for avalon's roles compared to secret hitler's one kinda personally boring role.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Blisster posted:

No they actually love Exploding Kittens. One of them refuses to listen to any rules explanation longer than 2 minutes or so (like she will just pull out her phone and start ignoring everyone). Which is fine, I am ok with playing lighter games sometimes, but man.

Not sure if they are into CAH, but probably.

:sever:

Played Great Western Trail again tonight to give it a second try. It didn't land very well for anyone, although it was hard for anyone to articulate why precisely. I think the general feeling was that every mechanic felt very tacked on and that none of them were fully developed, instead hoping that the gimmick of having a breadth of interactions will make up for the lack of deep interactions. And it doesn't, since everything feels very superficial.

Not my game, but man we could've played FCM or Cthulhu Wars or Dominant Species instead. gently caress I forgot how awesome Dominant Species is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is this FFG's replacement for the Fury of Dracula license? How much of an evolution from 2nd edition is this? Looks good.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/9/va102-whitehall-mystery/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Is this FFG's replacement for the Fury of Dracula license? How much of an evolution from 2nd edition is this? Looks good.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/9/va102-whitehall-mystery/

It literally says in the article that it's a sequel to Letters From Whitechapel.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

FutureFriend posted:

im kinda bad at bringing out criticisms succinctly, so bear that in mind but i feel a huge part of it is that the president/chancellor thing kinda tends to bog the game down more compared to going on missions since the nature of the leader selecting only one person tends to lead to more stalemates and a longer period of just blind voting happening than i'm enthused about. another thing i ended up not being a fan of was how the player elimination is implemented, since if it isn't hitler and you get lovely luck with the bad laws and are still stuck in the blind voting phase, you don't get any information whatsoever.

also ymmv, but i feel the random element of card drawing compared to the more deterministic failing is less of a engaging bluffing mechanic in general, since it tends to promote more focus on 2 people when i largely prefer groups of people bluffing personally.

(also i'm a sucker for avalon's roles compared to secret hitler's one kinda personally boring role.)

I think that's fair. I'd agree the "secret role" is pretty much just flavor, but I think that's because the similar powers in Secret Hitler are shifted onto the board instead of a single player. That means you don't always have access to the powers. As far as stalemating goes, the only time we have stalemate problems is when one specific dude plays because he thinks he's way more clever and deceptive than he actually is. It leads to him making these crazy, grand accusations between every loving turn and half of them end up being really cringey misogynistic comments about how the women at the table aren't smart enough for politicking. (The last time this happened, I was a Liberal and nearly assassinated another Liberal who'd been giving me poo poo. The rest of the table dogpiled on her which told me all the Fascists + Hitler were down with her being killed so she likely wasn't a Fascist/Hitler. This dude just kept pushing really hard to assassinate her so I turned around and chose him instead. He was Hitler).

With our group, the card drawing gets kind of intense. I'd say it's about even with failure in Resistance - provided people are actually engaging and asking questions.

Anyway, everyone has different tastes. If you didn't dig it, that's cool. I was just curious to get your opinions on it!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

It literally says in the article that it's a sequel to Letters From Whitechapel.

Yes, I'm asking if it's mechanically more of a spiritual successfor to FoD to fill the gap left by losing the FoD license, since this has a lot more meat on its bones than LfW.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 10, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Magnetic North posted:

Self quoting for one last request for if anyone wants in on this. I'm busy tomorrow so I'll create the lobby Sunday afternoon. If you are interested (and LLSix & Jedit), I will need your BAJ handles so I can invite you to the game.

LLSix, same as here.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Local comic store had Mint Works in stock so I grabbed it and it's a cool little game. Worked well with 2 and 3 (haven't played solo yet) and was quick and fun. Probably wouldn't want to play it more than a couple of games in a row, but great as a filler and to take on holiday or whatever.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Gravy Jones posted:

Local comic store had Mint Works in stock so I grabbed it and it's a cool little game. Worked well with 2 and 3 (haven't played solo yet) and was quick and fun. Probably wouldn't want to play it more than a couple of games in a row, but great as a filler and to take on holiday or whatever.

I played like 4 solo games last night, it's a fun little solitaire puzzle. It only started to click after probably my 3rd game, before that I was getting stomped. I'm a big fan though, definitely gonna carry it around with me when chillin with friends in case we want a like, 10 minute game including setup.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Gravy Jones posted:

Yeah, it's incredibly simple to the point where maybe three games in a row would put you off for life.

Between that, Neolithic and (hopefully) clash of steel I should have enough little things to provide entertainment on holidays (which increasingly involve sitting around whispering at night due to the baby,)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

WhiteHowler posted:

Wonderful. My wife and got wrangled into a new Seafall campaign starting tomorrow.

Is it "wears out its welcome" bad, or "fake an aneurysm" bad?
I took the first turn of the first game of this Seafall campaign 35 minutes ago. I am still waiting on my second turn.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I took the first turn of the first game of this Seafall campaign 35 minutes ago. I am still waiting on my second turn.

Godspeed

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Got a few people in my group excited about Clash of Cultures lately. It's a ton of fun and feels more like Sid Meier's Civilization than the actual Civilization: the Board Game. How vital is getting the expansion? One player prefers the fact that he's not trying to copy any specific civilization, but stuff like Markets and Apothecaries seem like a significant addition.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Played ADP last night with 4 and we all loved it. The game is much easier to teach and much simpler than people describe it. It took about 5 hours to play but the time flew by. Turns didn't drag because the stats are all clear on the board and the calculations are made easy by the layout. Fantastic job on the UI for the game btw. Everything is functional and the included player aids were perfect. Might be playing it again tonight with a different 4.

Sometimes I actually wish people were more honest with the difficulty of games. One of the players last night was a friend who doesn't really play anything but party games and he figured out the game with 2 tutorial cards. The player aid literally tells you everything you need to know. The purpose line is extremely helpful in this regard.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 10, 2017

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

We saw Seafall at Gen Con last year and thought it was really neat looking but didn't have time to check anything out. My fiancee is a sucker for high seas themes, but we passed on it.

Glad we did. :v:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Chill la Chill posted:

Played ADP last night with 4 and we all loved it. The game is much easier to teach and much simpler than people describe it. It took about 5 hours to play but the time flew by. Turns didn't drag because the stats are all clear on the board and the calculations are made easy by the layout. Fantastic job on the UI for the game btw. Everything is functional and the included player aids were perfect. Might be playing it again tonight with a different 4.

Sometimes I actually wish people were more honest with the difficulty of games. One of the players last night was a friend who doesn't really play anything but party games and he figured out the game with 2 tutorial cards. The player aid literally tells you everything you need to know. The purpose line is extremely helpful in this regard.

ADP?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

A Distant Plain, a COIN game.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

Sometimes I actually wish people were more honest with the difficulty of games.
One of the players last night was a friend who doesn't really play anything but party games and he figured out the game with 2 tutorial cards. The player aid literally tells you everything you need to know. The purpose line is extremely helpful in this regard.
I'm glad you had a good experience introducing someone to a complex game, but my experience doesn't line up with that. When I've played a game of Coloretto with the simpler scoring that took 30 mins, and has questions peppered throughout about what a player can do, or what cards do what, I'm going to adjust my expectations of new players accordingly.

No, I didn't play anything else with that person.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GrandpaPants posted:

Played Great Western Trail again tonight to give it a second try. It didn't land very well for anyone, although it was hard for anyone to articulate why precisely. I think the general feeling was that every mechanic felt very tacked on and that none of them were fully developed, instead hoping that the gimmick of having a breadth of interactions will make up for the lack of deep interactions. And it doesn't, since everything feels very superficial.

Not my game, but man we could've played FCM or Cthulhu Wars or Dominant Species instead. gently caress I forgot how awesome Dominant Species is.

Sorry to hear that. It's clicked pretty well with my club, though some people prefer the beginner setup to the advanced, more random one.

I don't want to diagnose a stranger over the Internet, but it sounds like you got kind of a lacking rules explanation from the person whose game it was. That's been an on-again off-again topic here, but an inadequate rules explanation can give people a rough time (imagine if somebody forgot about getting paid in Kansas City) and a technically correct but unfocused explanation can leave people disconnected from the rules and not really connecting them into something that makes sense.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Skypie posted:

We saw Seafall at Gen Con last year and thought it was really neat looking but didn't have time to check anything out. My fiancee is a sucker for high seas themes, but we passed on it.

Glad we did. :v:
We're almost two and a half hours in and just finished the first year.

My turns are taking about 60 seconds (6 per year) if that tells you anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

There are different kinds of difficulty. Some people can memorize tasks but don't know how they fit together. Some people can mimic the actions but don't understand how to make an optimal play. And some people can't imagine a time commitment of 5 hours to play a game that's "much simpler than people describe."

So it's great you have a nongamer friend who gives a thumbs up to a long rear end game, but I'd say that's the biggest difficulty hike. "Hey, want to play a game that will take all afternoon and benefits the player who has knowledge of what can come out and what will happen 10 turns from now?"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There are some games that aren't so difficult but I wouldn't introduce to a new person. Race for the galaxy, for example. Maybe if that person has played lots of magic or a similar game where the iconography is easy to grasp, sure. Like I said, the included player aid really helped a lot. It tells you the purpose and procedure in a clear, well-documented style.

This was the first time any of us has played the game so nobody knew what cards were even included.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Played more Keyflower this week, still a great game. Also played a filler game I can't remember the name of. It was a traitor game based on 20 questions where you were either a:

- Master: The person who knows what word everyone is trying to guess. Is asked Yes/No questions by everyone else.
- Commoner: Doesn't know poo poo, asks questions to the Master.
- Insider: The "spy", also knows the word being guessed but tries to blend in as a Commoner.

You get a few real-time minutes to belt out questions trying to divine the word the Master knows, just general stuff like "History", "Trash Can", etc.. If the table fails to guess the word in the allotted time then everyone loses, but if someone guesses it then you go to the next phase where the table votes whether the person who guessed it right is the Insider or not. If the vote says "yes, they're the insider" and the person is, the commoners/master win. If the vote says "no" the person reveals their role - if it's the insider that person immediately wins, if it's a commoner you get another minute to argue and then count to 3 and point at someone, and whoever has the most people pointing at them reveals their role. If it's the insider, master/commoners win. If it isn't, insider wins.

It was actually pretty cute as far as filler games go. One round was something of a bust because someone basically lucked into the word after 4-5 questions so no one had any real data to vote off of, but the other games we played were all decent. Also the box was SUPER tiny so that's cool.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Countblanc posted:

Played more Keyflower this week, still a great game. Also played a filler game I can't remember the name of. It was a traitor game based on 20 questions where you were either a:

- Master: The person who knows what word everyone is trying to guess. Is asked Yes/No questions by everyone else.
- Commoner: Doesn't know poo poo, asks questions to the Master.
- Insider: The "spy", also knows the word being guessed but tries to blend in as a Commoner.

You get a few real-time minutes to belt out questions trying to divine the word the Master knows, just general stuff like "History", "Trash Can", etc.. If the table fails to guess the word in the allotted time then everyone loses, but if someone guesses it then you go to the next phase where the table votes whether the person who guessed it right is the Insider or not. If the vote says "yes, they're the insider" and the person is, the commoners/master win. If the vote says "no" the person reveals their role - if it's the insider that person immediately wins, if it's a commoner you get another minute to argue and then count to 3 and point at someone, and whoever has the most people pointing at them reveals their role. If it's the insider, master/commoners win. If it isn't, insider wins.

It was actually pretty cute as far as filler games go. One round was something of a bust because someone basically lucked into the word after 4-5 questions so no one had any real data to vote off of, but the other games we played were all decent. Also the box was SUPER tiny so that's cool.

I hated it but everyone else who played the one time I played seemed to like it, so I'm pretty sure the problem is me.

It's called Insider, as it happens. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/206051/insider

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Played ADP last night with 4 and we all loved it. The game is much easier to teach and much simpler than people describe it.

Learning "how to play" COIN games is incredibly simple and quick. Each turn, the turn order is printed right on the Event card. In order, each player decides to do 1 of the things printed on the Event card or 1 of the 4 operations printed on their player aid (+ possibly 1 special action), or pass if they're hurting for cash or want to grab a more appealing action on the next Event card, which is visible. Only 2 players get to act per each Event card (passing does not count). A certain number of special cards are shuffled into the deck that trigger special rounds, which will end the game if someone has met their victory conditions.

That's it, everyone who read this post could now sit down and start playing any COIN game. The challenge is learning when and why you would make those choices, but you could learn that as you play. It's not like Food Chain Magnate, where you can possibly lose the game by making the wrong decision on your first turn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

WhiteHowler posted:

Don't do this to yourselves.

Blisster posted:

One of them refuses to listen to any rules explanation longer than 2 minutes or so (like she will just pull out her phone and start ignoring everyone).
I don't care how much someone likes or dislikes complicated games, that is just disrespectful as hell.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

WhiteHowler posted:

How many players?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Re: casual players playing hard games. This Tuesday I proposed playing Steam, because I knew 3 people were present who all liked it. Only one of them actually said yes, and 4 newbies decided they wanted to join :v: . 6 players also meant playing the extra complex and hard Southern Africa map. While the game did last 3 hours (and we only played 5 rounds out of the 7 you're supposed to), at least 3 of the 4 newbies said they want to play it again. It's really an attitude thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

Learning "how to play" COIN games is incredibly simple and quick. Each turn, the turn order is printed right on the Event card. In order, each player decides to do 1 of the things printed on the Event card or 1 of the 4 operations printed on their player aid (+ possibly 1 special action), or pass if they're hurting for cash or want to grab a more appealing action on the next Event card, which is visible. Only 2 players get to act per each Event card (passing does not count). A certain number of special cards are shuffled into the deck that trigger special rounds, which will end the game if someone has met their victory conditions.

That's it, everyone who read this post could now sit down and start playing any COIN game. The challenge is learning when and why you would make those choices, but you could learn that as you play. It's not like Food Chain Magnate, where you can possibly lose the game by making the wrong decision on your first turn.

Right. It's just that people like to describe these things as complex rules-wise. I suppose some of the difficulty is in getting people to agree to use the same terms. I like to use depth of play vs complexity of rules. Also the prevailing I've seen both here and elsewhere that you shouldnt start people off with hard games. Or that you should ramp up the complexity slower than what I personally feel is appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Some Numbers posted:

How many players?

We just finished at a hair under four hours, halfway through year 3. People started playing a lot faster, at least.

I think Seafall just isn't my kind of game. Two people appeared to enjoy it, the other three seem to vary between being bored with the game and being actively angry at it.

Trying to decide on a graceful way to bow out of the campaign without damaging friendships (these are all people I like but don't get to play games with very often).