Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Powershift posted:

My favourite part is that they can make the speedometer go to any number, and the only space the car will ever occupy is still only a 40 degree sweep.

Mine is the horrible color banding on that crap display

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Guinness posted:

We live in a wild time when even pretty mundane cars are within spitting distance of a sub-6 second 0-60.

A V6 Camry is 5.8 seconds. The 2.0T Accord is 5.7 seconds.

The new turbo Outback is 6.1 seconds.

The Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey minivans are both in the mid 6-second range.

(these were all quick google results, may not be 100% accurate but you get the idea)

You overlooked the RAV4 Prime, which is faster than a V6 Camry or Porsche Macan 0-60, in a family-oriented crossover!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Powershift posted:

My favourite part is that they can make the speedometer go to any number, and the only space the car will ever occupy is still only a 40 degree sweep.
I like the ability to share content with other passengers.

Send tubgirl to the driver’s display.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 9, 2020

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know we’re talking nearly 40 years for some of them but if you’ve seen any of the retro MotorWeek reviews on YouTube you’ll know how hilarious those stats are. Them marveling at a 0-60 time of 9 seconds or so is so pure. You’d be told that can’t get onto a US highway properly these days

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

I know we’re talking nearly 40 years for some of them but if you’ve seen any of the retro MotorWeek reviews on YouTube you’ll know how hilarious those stats are. Them marveling at a 0-60 time of 9 seconds or so is so pure. You’d be told that can’t get onto a US highway properly these days

"The braking was good, stopping in nearly a straight line."

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You're not suppose to be driving the S class yourself right? Can't see the ugly gauges in the back seat.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Russian Bear posted:

You're not suppose to be driving the S class yourself right? Can't see the ugly gauges in the back seat.

The back seats also get those ridiculous tablets with bezels from 2013, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Russian Bear posted:

2019 only had massage function in the front so unless they've now put it in the back this year I'd disagree. Being able to virtually lay down in the back, privacy blinds up AND get a massage would definitely be the way to go.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Our last car went from 0 to 100 in roundabout 14 seconds, and topped out at 180. That's not fast but it was fast enough for German Autobahn. I understand that my perspective on car culture is a bit skewed but to suggest that anyone needs 6 seconds or so acceleration times for their commute sounds more like a them problem not a car problem

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
But 'merica

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How am I supposed to "humiliate and own" those around me at stoplight racing if I can't get under 5 seconds 0-60?

Tesla buyers definitely think this.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lord Stimperor posted:

Our last car went from 0 to 100 in roundabout 14 seconds, and topped out at 180. That's not fast but it was fast enough for German Autobahn. I understand that my perspective on car culture is a bit skewed but to suggest that anyone needs 6 seconds or so acceleration times for their commute sounds more like a them problem not a car problem

The safest car is the one that can keep up with the prevailing flow of traffic so it’s not really something you can talk about in a vacuum. But no, nobody in America actually *needs* to get to 60 in less than 6 seconds for safety.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Nut Bunnies posted:

Heh, I was just watching a bunch of those last night. 1993 BMW M5. Inflation adjusted price: 107,000USD. 0-60: 6 seconds. Observed fuel economy: 16mpg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4PMkQLT3rE

The hot 1993 Mustang Cobra managed 5.6 though. 17mpg average. :patriot:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

sunaurus posted:

That's an S-CLASS interior. Does anybody actually think that that looks luxurious or classy in any way?

I think I had that Winamp skin.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Guinness posted:

We live in a wild time when even pretty mundane cars are within spitting distance of a sub-6 second 0-60.

A V6 Camry is 5.8 seconds. The 2.0T Accord is 5.7 seconds.

The new turbo Outback is 6.1 seconds.

The Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey minivans are both in the mid 6-second range.

(these were all quick google results, may not be 100% accurate but you get the idea)

It's pretty mindblowing. The 94 Supra Turbo was 'fast' with a 5.5s 0-60.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Tricky Ed posted:

I think I had that Winamp skin.

it really whips the llamas rear end

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

LeeMajors posted:

It's pretty mindblowing. The 94 Supra Turbo was 'fast' with a 5.5s 0-60.

Starting to really understand why people who are older obsess over Corvette Stingrays, Plymouth Road Runners or Barracudas. When they were teenagers these cars were praised as some of the best performing cars. Leaves a mark on you growing up and then you always remember them as “fast” the way some millennials remember the Testarossa as fast even though it’s slow now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mental Hospitality posted:

Heh, I was just watching a bunch of those last night. 1993 BMW M5. Inflation adjusted price: 107,000USD. 0-60: 6 seconds. Observed fuel economy: 16mpg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4PMkQLT3rE

The hot 1993 Mustang Cobra managed 5.6 though. 17mpg average. :patriot:

The mpg that modern performance oriented cars can get is pretty impressive. I'm stage 1 on my F80 M3 so I should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 480-500whp. I got 28mpg highway on a tank a little while back. I can get 16 city without any real issues and if I'm not trying at all I'll get around 14 city.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Yeah it’s crazy the amount of performance that can be had these days for a bargain. Someone mentioned Testarossa’s earlier and I looked up how my mildly tuned FoRS stacks up against some prancing horses from yesterday. Turns out my hot hatch would easily hang with a 360 Modena and maybe pull away from it in the 1/4 mile, and I’m definitely confident it could easily hang with it in the twisties too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
All of this performance malarkey just hammers home how much it doesn't matter, not really. The idea of a 'new car' is all emotional and vanity, mixed in with the realities of family requirements and funds available. I just want something I connect with and that's fun and that exemplifies what I want other people to think of me.

That new Mercedes with that uggo dashboard and BMWs with their heated seat service is decidedly NOT what I'm after, personally.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I just wish we could use all our modern materials and engineering to give cars thin A/B/C pillars again like they were pre-2000's.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

I just wish we could use all our modern materials and engineering to give cars thin A/B/C pillars again like they were pre-2000's.

Agreed. A proper greenhouse seems like a luxury now

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

People haven't figured it out yet, but this right now is the final golden age of cars. You can get great, great power and handling on totally normal every day cars right now but they haven't been totally crippled by in-car loot crate rolls to unlock massaging seats that always give you a Monster Energy Drink skin for the infotainment instead.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Imagine a world in which your car is constantly hauling around 900 lbs of extra equipment that you can't use because it's all walled behind digital unlocks and the engine and battery tech is good enough that manufacturers would just eat the weight penalty in the hopes that one day in a moment of weakness you sign up for a 19.99 annual subscription to use your heated windshield.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Someone will start selling more expensive models with the extra bits removed.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

The Oldest Man posted:

Imagine a world in which your car is constantly hauling around 900 lbs of extra equipment that you can't use because it's all walled behind digital unlocks and the engine and battery tech is good enough that manufacturers would just eat the weight penalty in the hopes that one day in a moment of weakness you sign up for a 19.99 annual subscription to use your heated windshield.

You joke but Telsa charges $300 for unlocking heated rear seats on their lower trim model 3's.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

mysteryberto posted:

You joke but Telsa charges $300 for unlocking

Fixed

But for content, re speedo chat: I love how half the speedometer on my transit connect is above where it cuts fuel, not that it should be cruising that fast anyway but still.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

People are so used to the relatively narrow range of units used on speedos that seeing a 'correct' one where the needle is swinging all over like a tach would be disconcerting and weird

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Bring back the digital readout speedos

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Vauxhall perfected digital dashes in the 80s.

Wait, no, I meant Lancia...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I've said the same thing for years, I long for material science to move on from steel/alu as a mass manufacturing materials for cars.

I mean 19 years ago Volvo realised this was a problem and on the car that turned into the S30 did this as a proof of concept. These days we're using tech to get around these problems but by using cameras instead of engineering.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've said the same thing for years, I long for material science to move on from steel/alu as a mass manufacturing materials for cars.

I mean 19 years ago Volvo realised this was a problem and on the car that turned into the S30 did this as a proof of concept. These days we're using tech to get around these problems but by using cameras instead of engineering.

I dig it but I fear what happen instead is companies will cover the pillars with curves display screens. Then they'll make the pillars even bigger until we're all sitting in a neon genesis Evangelion tube

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ror posted:

Vauxhall perfected digital dashes in the 80s.

Speaking of Vauxhall, my old Omega had a speedometer like this:

Like 2/3rds of the range is actually what you'll be using normally. It bothered me, as a nerd, that the scale wasn't consistent but in practice this worked well.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 10, 2020

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My old Mazdaspeed 3 used less than 1/4 of the gauge for speeds that are legal here

E. Also not sure what the top speed was but it sure as hell wasn't close to 280

dissss fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 10, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Virgil Vox posted:

Bring back the digital readout speedos

My car has one and I love it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dissss posted:

My old Mazdaspeed 3 used less than 1/4 of the gauge for speeds that are legal here

E. Also not sure what the top speed was but it sure as hell wasn't close to 280

This is the gauge cluster I’m used to in the Speed3, I’ve never seen that other setup. I love the gauges starting at 6 o’clock.

Top speed was limited to 155mph supposedly, which 250kph or thereabouts

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I don't like speedometers that are too optimistic. I don't wanna see all the speed that I could be experiencing had I bought a faster car. Just let me feel fast man

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ror posted:

The engineer in me appreciates the direct sensibility of that hub.

Everything else is screaming in fright, “get it away!”

mysteryberto posted:

You joke but Telsa charges $300 for unlocking heated rear seats on their lower trim model 3's.

I’m considering adding my car to my cellphone plan...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
bring back the 85mph speedo rule imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bring back the 85mph speedo rule imo

Yeah, with the 55 mark circled.