Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Getting the other player to dc is the true victory in ds3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Does skull ring have any effect in PvP?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s the same effect as Atonement so no.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I feel like I'm not very good at this game - especially not at PvP.

I'm playing a pure sorcerer - other than about 3-4 points in Str and Dex, the only stats I've levelled are Intelligence (60) and Attunement (30). I'm using a Court Sorcerer's staff (+6), Grass Crest shield (since my stamina is garbage) and wearing the two dragon rings, sage's ring, and clothany right for more stamina. My other weapon is a Crystal Longsword (+6). I'm currently just before Anor Londo and invading as Aldritch Faithful as SL 69.

I've got a variety of spells equipped - Soul Spear, Great Soul Arrow, Great Farron Dart, Soul Greatsword and Homing Soulmass.

I thought I knew the usual tricks - cast soulmass, face away, then fire off soul spear almost the same time the soulmass goes off, switch spells out rapidly etc etc, but I feel like the only people I can beat in PvP are people that are considerably worse at the game than me or if I'm a butthead that mobs someone along with a bunch of buddies.

If I ever fight anyone face-to-face I get my poo poo pushed in. I lose probably 9/10 one-on-one fights. My stat investment makes me such a glass cannon that I'm dead in 2 hits (sometimes 1) and my opponents always seem to survive any assault with at least some health left over unless I get supremely lucky. Then they estus back up and I'm back to square one. Bigger problem seems to be how predictable spells are - they take ages to go off and anyone paying some level of attention can just roll to safety - they usually get away without a scratch, even with me constantly switching up the spells I use. I can usually get a few hits in with my longsword but it doesn't do enough damage to anyone to be useful. Then they trade one blow and I'm dead.

This sort of setup worked much better for me in DS1 and DS2 but it somehow feels underpowered in DS3.

I'm going to start using Undead Hunter Charms so I can actually wear people down but does anyone have any other suggestions to help me Git Gudder?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
PvP Sorcerer is not viable in DS3 hope this helps.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
no its viable but its really boring and reactive.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PVP sorcery in DS3 relies almost entirely on a really really strong opening hit which makes your opponent panic and gently caress up enough for you to finish them. Chameleon can be useful for this, a surprising number of people will run right by an unassuming crate and then poo poo themselves when it drops a 600 damage soul arrow in their back. Sorcery is much less good for duels where your opponent knows you are coming because anyone worth poo poo at these games can dodge a sorcery or two if they are locked on to you. It’s also no good for low or mid level invading because you need to either gouge your INT and do piffling damage, or your VIG and die from a light breeze. So you are basically condemned to SL100+ invasions only.

However, all that said, there are a couple things you could change that might give you a better chance. Soul spear does hardly any damage over GHSA (yeah it’s sweet when you hit a host and his two phantoms with one shot, but be honest, how often does it happen?), and it costs a lot more. For an extra 50 points of damage per shot, maybe, you pay three times the FP. Don’t use soul spear. CSS is sometimes worth it but I wouldn’t pick it for PVP because again, that cost is just brutal.

Soulmass is only ok in this game. I really don’t think it is that good, especially given how late you get it. Both versions have terrible cost efficiency and it feels harder to effectively time them with other attacks to hit people in this game because chain rolling is so strong.

Use Farron flashsword over soul greatsword. It doesn’t hit nearly as hard but is much faster, still does very respectable damage, combos, and has a tiny cost. You can use FF five times for less than one soul greatsword. You have to be a bit careful spamming it because smart players will just parry you but the same could be said of straight swords and everyone uses those.

I hope you’re wearing the dusk crown and have a scholar’s candlestick offhand. If you don’t like the candlestick you can always run a bit into the DLC and grab the Lothric warbanner. It takes a bit more stat investment to wield and the buff is not passive unlike the candlestick, it’s a bit stronger and lasts a pretty long time once activated.

All in all though if you don’t have any kind of melee capability you won’t get far in PVP. This goes for any type of spell caster, you need to be able to defend yourself or you’re going to be reduced to reactive play and trying to stand off people forever.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the homing soulmass build is viable in pvp. its very boring since it revolves around being reactive. you basically just wait for your opponent to come to you and then win all trades by combining the soulmass and r1 spamming a straight sword.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

skasion posted:

Use Farron flashsword over soul greatsword. It doesn’t hit nearly as hard but is much faster, still does very respectable damage, combos, and has a tiny cost. You can use FF five times for less than one soul greatsword. You have to be a bit careful spamming it because smart players will just parry you but the same could be said of straight swords and everyone uses those.

I hope you’re wearing the dusk crown and have a scholar’s candlestick offhand. If you don’t like the candlestick you can always run a bit into the DLC and grab the Lothric warbanner. It takes a bit more stat investment to wield and the buff is not passive unlike the candlestick, it’s a bit stronger and lasts a pretty long time once activated.

Is there much point in Flashsword over a Crystal Longsword? Is the Flashsword actually faster/better in some way?
Also I found that Flashsword works best in conjunction with Greatsword becasue other players seems to have trouble judging which one you're pulling on them next.

I'm using Dusk Crown but I'm not using the candlestick because it prevents me from using the Grass Crest shield - which has both a useful buff AND can be used to block the occasional hit. The candlestick provides a buff only and nothing else, since I don't have enough Faith to use it.

Also FP has never been a problem for me in PVP. People are either dead or I'm dead before it becomes a problem.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

being a pure caster is kinda bad in pvp unless you have a buddy who can be more aggressive and keep pressure off you. you'd probably be better off repecing a bit to drop most of your spell slots and some of your int to get your vigor up to ~30. ideally you'd mostly just use the straightsword and maybe pick up an int-scaling poise weapon to deal with spammers and have those be your bread and butter instead of spells.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Some builds are viable in invasions, but not in Duels. You just have to be clever about when to engage and disengage, and can unload on people who are distracted. If you're going for duels or arena, I'd probably go into 2v2 or 3v3 so you can get that same edge of shooting people while they're busy trying to hit something else, which has always been the archetypal mage in games anyway.

I've been hit pretty hard by Great Soul Dregs since it can be hard to dodge due to it's size, so dark sorceries might be helpful. Deep Soul and Great Farron Dart can also get pretty annoying since they can come out of nowhere.

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Is $35 for the whole Dark Souls III Deluxe edition the cheapest its been? (right now on steam)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
my invasion complaint is how inorganic and tedious it is. The rewards for invasions are basically 'kill an arbitrary number of dudes while wearing different colored jumpers to receive linear and usually useless rewards you may or may not care about you don't know till you try it'

Like, I hate invasions from both ends. If you're invading you know the person you're going to invade is embered which means they'll invariably have a couple of sunbro's with them in which case things are very much against you, to reiterate, the qualifier for getting invaded is also something that makes things difficult for the invader. So what do you do? You cheese it. After all, the invader has all the npcs in the world to hide behind. In fact you're stupid if you attack the other player while they're not distracted. You AND they are rewarded for being cancerous pussies, you would be stupid if you didn't try and get them hosed up by npcs and they have no reason to leave the bonfire with their cadre of player-pals. Invariably fights come down to whichever person's patience breaks first. I've had games where I've gone afk as an invader and come back to find the host hasn't moved.

Than there's the rewards for pvp or more accurately the lack thereof. Sure you can get 'unique' items and spells but the majority of these rewards are substandard and you don't know what you're gonna get unless you wiki that poo poo. It'd be better if you could choose how to spend your pvp funbux instead of doing all this poo poo only to discover the grand reward is a silly hat or a spell you can't use.

Plus being invaded is a tedious poo poo, made more irritating by knowing that the person doing the invading is undergoing the same level of supreme inconvenience as you just to be there, annoying you.

The reason this game attracts the kinds of nerds who self impose rules and 'honor' is because the fun gameplay is not the same as rewarding gameplay. Similar to PUBG.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 16, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Not every Dark Souls can be Dark Souls 2.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

Is $35 for the whole Dark Souls III Deluxe edition the cheapest its been? (right now on steam)
Grab the $12 humble monthly and then use your new 10% discount for the Ring DLC in the humble store for a total of around $25. Plus you'll get whatever else will end up in the monthly.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

dark souls 2 tried to do some different poo poo but it half assed it as well

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Motherfucker posted:

dark souls 2 tried to do some different poo poo but it half assed it as well

True but the invasion mechanics were much, much better which is what dude was complaining about.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Chomp8645 posted:

I was living in a boring-rear end suburb away from family/friends and working nights at an IT call-center type gig when I first played DS2,, and have very fond memories of getting lost in Drangleic

I was more or less cut off from most of society at the time anyways, which really enhanced the surreal nature of the game. Of course, PVP and coop were also a blast (PVP esp kinda blows in the other games). I love DS2

Anyways that's my ~lore~ insight for you all

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DS2’s PVP balance is better than DS3’s, but its multiplayer mechanics are some of the worst poo poo ever shat out of an rear end.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

skasion posted:

DS2’s PVP balance is better than DS3’s, but its multiplayer mechanics are some of the worst poo poo ever shat out of an rear end.

I don't remember there being any really bad mechanics besides soul memory, which was really bad, but is just the one. Are there others?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Motherfucker posted:

The rewards for invasions are basically 'kill an arbitrary number of dudes

It's not arbitrary. It's usually 10 then 30.

quote:

while wearing different colored jumpers

It's not just 'different colored jumpers.' Each pvp covenant has different rules and provides a different experience. The colors are just there to provide some semblance of order in a chaotic scene.

quote:

to receive linear and usually useless rewards you may or may not care about you don't know till you try it'

Oh no, they added replayability.

quote:

If you're invading you know the person you're going to invade is embered which means they'll invariably have a couple of sunbro's with them in which case things are very much against you,

You're right. When you invade it's always a good idea to head straight toward the gank squad and not use the environment or the plethora of items available to you to put yourself in a better position such as the the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring, Spook, Hidden Body, Untrue Dark Ring, Untrue White Ring, Chameleon, the tree branches, Obscuring Ring, etc.

quote:

to reiterate, the qualifier for getting invaded is also something that makes things difficult for the invader. So what do you do? You cheese it.

Cheese what? Deaths are on you, not anyone else.

quote:

In fact you're stupid if you attack the other player while they're not distracted.

Exactly?

quote:

You AND they are rewarded for being cancerous pussies, you would be stupid if you didn't try and get them hosed up by npcs and they have no reason to leave the bonfire with their cadre of player-pals.

Eventually the gank squad has to move away from the bonfire. Or they could disconnect, which I consider a win for the invader.

quote:

Invariably fights come down to whichever person's patience breaks first.

It's been four games of this. If you're confident enough to walk around the environment embered up you have no business complaining about being invaded.

quote:

I've had games where I've gone afk as an invader and come back to find the host hasn't moved.

This is on you, not him.

quote:

Than there's the rewards for pvp or more accurately the lack thereof. Sure you can get 'unique' items and spells but the majority of these rewards are substandard

Sacred Oath: An amazing group buff.
Great Lightning Spear: One of the few offensive miracles, great for PvE.
Darkmoon Ring: Free attunement slots. That's never bad.
Darkmoon Blade: an OP weapon buff.
Obscuring Ring: Try and tell someone wielding a greatbow that the Obscuring ring is substandard.
Man-grubb Staff: Fits thematically. Either the longest or second longest staff. (Good for flashsword, soul greatsword etc.)The only spell tool that scales with luck.
Bloodlust: Weapon Art provides a 40% AR buff + insane bleed proc.
Warmth: An amazing healing pyro that can be used to keep yourself alive in chaotic 3 v 1 or 2 battles. Especially good for moundmakers who sometimes are tasked to kill 3 phantoms for their shackle.
Old Wolf Curved Sword: Unique Weapon Art, consecutive hits combines the effect of two rings and stacks with those same two rings + Carthus Beacon.
Wolf Ring + Wolf Knight's Greatshield: Thematically appropriate. One of two shields that provides a bonus to status effect defense.
Great Deep Soul: Fantastic for catching people that are fleeing. Can be buffed with other equipment to be very powerful.
Archdeacon's Great Staff: A sorcery staff that scales entirely on faith. Imagine the build possibilities.

quote:

and you don't know what you're gonna get unless you wiki that poo poo.

What did players ever do before wikis. Imagine the horror.

quote:

It'd be better if you could choose how to spend your pvp funbux instead of doing all this poo poo only to discover the grand reward is a silly hat or a spell you can't use.

For only $9.99 you too can own a pack of 10 Proof of a Concord kept.

quote:

Plus being invaded is a tedious poo poo, made more irritating by knowing that the person doing the invading is undergoing the same level of supreme inconvenience as you just to be there, annoying you.

There is nothing stopping you from playing offline.

quote:

The reason this game attracts the kinds of nerds who self impose rules and 'honor'

You mean like what you're saying about how invaders should just come to you and fight instead of using the environment to their advantage?

quote:

is because the fun gameplay is not the same as rewarding gameplay. Similar to PUBG.

:ughh:

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

skasion posted:

You know, the only bit that really bothered me was that souls that you 'lost' by dropping them after dying weren't deducted from your Soul Memory. After all, Soul Memory is supposed to be some sort of way of keeping track of how many souls you've spent becoming a twink, so the ones you never got to spend shouldn't really count toward it.

Once you reach super-high levels it ceases to matter.

And I think DS2 had better multiplayer, with the exception of the ridiculous blue and red fight clubs. Kill 500 dudes in a row without ever losing to get a reward? No thanks.
(Ratbros for life)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sum Gai posted:

I don't remember there being any really bad mechanics besides soul memory, which was really bad, but is just the one. Are there others?

SM is mildly stupid but there’s also the idiotic way of blue/blue sentinels thing which DS3 for some reason kept, the fact that autosummon covenants still eat a ring slot which DS3 thankfully did not keep, and by far worst the mandatory grinding of eye orbs. You either have to grind them in duels or grind 10k souls a pop to buy them, forever. It’s asinine. Invasion is a basic multiplayer mechanic and it blows my mind to this day that they thought it was a good idea to gate it behind grinding. In every other game you can get an unlimited invasion item as early as you put your mind to get it. In DS2 you can never get one no matter what. By endgame it isn’t really a problem anymore because you can just kill the Giant Lord again and pick up enough souls for a couple dozen more orbs, but it basically reduces early game invasions to nothing outside the belfry because nobody wants to waste time and SM getting more orbs that early on.

In DS3 I feel like the multiplayer systems work great but the actual fights suck half the time. In DS2 the actual multiplayer fights suck less than half the time, but the systems openly want you to be miserable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
invasions in ds3 are the best because they're so imbalanced

if someone who goes looking for pvp ends up against solo hosts who are not looking for pvp(and thus likely don't know how to do it), it's a stomp. but a good player can pick apart a gank squad. they won't always do it, but it's possible, and super satisfying when you do it. I've invaded way more in ds3 than 1/2 because of this, an invasion against multiple people who are worse than me(so I have mechanical disadvantage, but can overcome it through skill/systems knowledge) is my favorite kind and due to prefering worlds with summons that's usually what I get in ds3.

also obscuring ring is like, one of the best rings in the whole game

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Chomp8645 posted:

Mad Phantoms really, really should have been Bell Bros 2.0 where you set down your sign and just randomly invade anyone in the area regardless. Instead of summoning you, interacting with your sign should have let them invade you like the grave keepers. Unsurprisingly; bell towers are still pretty active in Dark Souls 2 and I've been seeing a bunch of build variety too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DS3's greatest sin is that there wasn't anything as cool or creative as ratbros.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
I accidentally pointed down at someone who was kinda inexperienced instead of waving at them and now I feel like a trash human

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Who the gently caress are you talking too because at this point it ain't me.

Good on you for liking and defending the 'hide in a corner' model of pvp I guess but for me the entertaining bit about pvp is the roly poly stabbing dudes bit rather than hiding in chameleon and waiting for the dozens of player enemies I have to face to forget they're invaded.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 16, 2018

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

g0t_hats posted:

"wifi error"
really interesting timing!

So that is how the cool scrubs call it these days.
I always enjoy a big hammer, that strikes fear into the heart of enemies. Just wear the fallen knight set to sent confusing signals to other players: A scrub? Is he memeing? New meta? Better Alt+F4.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Invasions should be played like versus mode in Left 4 Dead

You stalk, attack, retreat and pick your battles.

Obviously theres very little to be done if the host simply refuses to move from the bonfire but then its really just a stalemate

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Invasions should be played like versus mode in Left 4 Dead

You stalk, attack, retreat and pick your battles.

Obviously theres very little to be done if the host simply refuses to move from the bonfire but then its really just a stalemate

Ideally yeah, but the thing is there's no reward for moving forward while invaded. Any fight you engage in is just another opportunity to get stabbed in the back. You're rewarded for doing the most obnoxious and boring thing possible which is standing by the bonfire where you can drop your soul safely if they by some miracle drop you with your summons handy.

Gimmie a pvp mode that lets me invade as a gimped weak baby and siphon off their souls and grow incrementally stronger and more 'real' over time so they're forced to mad dash following my soul siphoning funnel, frenetically fighting npcs and ignoring optimal paths to get at me before I become too strong and eat too many of their hard earned souls.

Make it so that you only 'manifest' near to them and the siphon rate is stronger near to them so you're always floating just a little out of their reach and as strength levels equalize you're encouraged to get close and fight for speedier buffing

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 16, 2018

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

WaltherFeng posted:

Just put on the obscuring ring and shoot them with a great bow. That usually pisses then off enough that they chase you.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

skasion posted:

SM is mildly stupid but there’s also the idiotic way of blue/blue sentinels thing which DS3 for some reason kept, the fact that autosummon covenants still eat a ring slot which DS3 thankfully did not keep, and by far worst the mandatory grinding of eye orbs. You either have to grind them in duels or grind 10k souls a pop to buy them, forever. It’s asinine. Invasion is a basic multiplayer mechanic and it blows my mind to this day that they thought it was a good idea to gate it behind grinding. In every other game you can get an unlimited invasion item as early as you put your mind to get it. In DS2 you can never get one no matter what. By endgame it isn’t really a problem anymore because you can just kill the Giant Lord again and pick up enough souls for a couple dozen more orbs, but it basically reduces early game invasions to nothing outside the belfry because nobody wants to waste time and SM getting more orbs that early on.

In DS3 I feel like the multiplayer systems work great but the actual fights suck half the time. In DS2 the actual multiplayer fights suck less than half the time, but the systems openly want you to be miserable.

DS2 also had time limits on invasions and it let you invade players who already cleared the area, the combination of the two resulted in countless boring 1v1s by the bonfire.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Octo1 posted:

DS2 also had time limits on invasions and it let you invade players who already cleared the area, the combination of the two resulted in countless boring 1v1s by the bonfire.

Oh yeah. And the fact that you have to pay a humanity to turn off invasions in a zone, rather than paying one to turn them on, is another really weird choice. I’m not sure I hate it but I still have no idea what they were going for with the mechanic either. It means that invaders have so many more targets that they will hardly ever fail to find someone to invade, but the chances of any individual player being invaded plummet — but if you do get invaded it could be while you’re some poor chump flailing around with half health and no way to summon help.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Motherfucker posted:

Who the gently caress are you talking too because at this point it ain't me.

Hey you're the one that typed the really bad post about pvp.

quote:

Good on you for liking and defending the 'hide in a corner' model of pvp I guess but for me the entertaining bit about pvp is the roly poly stabbing dudes bit rather than hiding in chameleon and waiting for the dozens of player enemies I have to face to forget they're invaded.

Lucky for you there's a duel arena for that.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

skasion posted:

... by far worst the mandatory grinding of eye orbs. You either have to grind them in duels or grind 10k souls a pop to buy them, forever ... it basically reduces early game invasions to nothing outside the belfry because nobody wants to waste time and SM getting more orbs that early on.

The reason people like me get stuck on SM being awful isn't just that SM is awful (it is) - but also that DS2 does things differently which go from bad to worse for being in a game with SM. Grinding orbs is one example. Hexes which consume souls is another. Purchasable lifegems is a third.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Stokes posted:

Lucky for you there's a duel arena for that.

That IS lucky since invasions suck so majorly

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

That IS lucky since invasions suck so majorly

Ok but if the duels give you everything you ask for in souls multiplayer why even bother complaining about invasions? they're clearly the complete opposite of what you want

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Invasions are cool and good and a very important part of Dark Souls. I loved honor duels for the longest time since DS1, and only now in 3 have I really begun to appreciate invading as something with a lot of depth and nuance, requiring knowing your environment, recognizing patterns in your opponents, knowing how to separate your opponents, and knowing when to retreat. I used to hate invaders who would run behind enemies, and invadees who would ganksquad or run back to summon hosts, but now I know that's the whole point of invasions. If I get invaded now, and the invader runs to hide behind some enemies, I will most likely run back to the bonfire to get some people to even those odds out, and when I invade, I am more likely to pick my battles instead of rushing a group of three head-on with an ultra greatsword, spam r1 and hope for the best.

The only thing I find annoying is when I'm invading and it takes ages to find the host. It's still fun to go check for dead enemies in different routes leaving the bonfires, but sometimes it can get obnoxious, especially if there's not enough action in the zone to warrant multiple invaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Motherfucker posted:

Ideally yeah, but the thing is there's no reward for moving forward while invaded. Any fight you engage in is just another opportunity to get stabbed in the back. You're rewarded for doing the most obnoxious and boring thing possible which is standing by the bonfire where you can drop your soul safely if they by some miracle drop you with your summons handy.
Your reward is still getting to the boss gate, as it always is. You just have one more obstacle to deal with. You can still make a mad dash for the fog gate and the invader is poo poo out of luck to stop you unless they're positioned correctly in your way, and even so, there's little they can do if you decide to just roll past them and bolt towards the gate. You're supposed to adjust to different variables being introduced.