Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the dave2d review posted in this thread also mentioned the bloom but said it was not as bad as the mini led iPad. will be interesting to see if some of these issues are resolved in the next week or two via software updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
We picked up the 14” base model for my wife yesterday, and I’ve been playing around with it this morning. It’s been wonderful just recreating any situation that would cause my laptop to chug and seeing this new one handle it with ease. It’s almost certainly overkill, I was watching cpu activity while she was editing in Lightroom and it seems like it mostly was pegged to the efficiency cores.

drat I want one of these in a Mini.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
my 1.9 year old $300 costco laptop died a couple of days back short of the warranty on the credit card expiring.

I already have a M1 macbook pro (16 gigs / 1 tb) from work and thinking if i should get the 14 inch max for my personal machine.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

RoboBoogie posted:

my 1.9 year old $300 costco laptop died a couple of days back short of the warranty on the credit card expiring.

I already have a M1 macbook pro (16 gigs / 1 tb) from work and thinking if i should get the 14 inch max for my personal machine.

What do you want to do with it? If it’s not number crunching, rendering, lots of 4K movie editing, or something equally intense I’d think a MacBook Air would be a lot easier on the wallet.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
honestly nothing as artistic or intense, i did install linux and upgrade the storage/memory and rarely used more than 16 gigs of the 32 gigs memory on my old laptop.

The M1 did disappoint me, you cant attach two monitors to it, and two thunderbolt ports are not enough. I take photos with my camera and there is no slot for a SD card so i have to plug in the camera like a pleb, its a tad bit annoying to do when you're traveling and want to see today's shots.

you are right on the increased cost, maybe i'll get another $300 HP laptop and hope that fails in 1.9 years.

RoboBoogie fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 27, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/SnazzyQ/status/1453143510111059968
https://twitter.com/SnazzyQ/status/1453143798251339778
https://twitter.com/bjango/status/1453171506263982087

The thing with menus removing status items has been a thing forever, but the rest of this is just hosed. I saw somebody else on Reddit complaining about something else, too. Turns out if you have an app that causes the cursor to teleport across the menu bar like that, even if you don't have any menus that cross it, you can end up with status items underneath it that you can't interact with, but do show up on a screenshot:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So this laptop is a milkshake duck, is that what I'm getting?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

What's the thread consensus on migration assistant vs fresh install for Intel --> M1 Macs? I'm going to be rolling from a 2013 Mojave install and I don't want to cruft it up, but at the same time it would be nice to not have to re-do all of the tweaks, custom gestures, and customizations I've made over the years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Still a mostly personal decision I think? I like the opportunity to re-evaluate all the tweaks and niche things I’ve installed over the past few years, a lot of which I probably forgot about or don’t use anymore, so I’m in “fresh install” camp and I’ll make up the deltas after the fact.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://topnotch.app

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kreeblah posted:

The thing with menus removing status items has been a thing forever, but the rest of this is just hosed. I saw somebody else on Reddit complaining about something else, too. Turns out if you have an app that causes the cursor to teleport across the menu bar like that, even if you don't have any menus that cross it, you can end up with status items underneath it that you can't interact with, but do show up on a screenshot:
I have a feeling Apple is going to end up Sherlocking Bartender and making both sides of the menu bar collapsible. I dunno how else you resolve this really.

It's also surprising that this isn't a fixed default on the new laptops IMO

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

TACD posted:

I have a feeling Apple is going to end up Sherlocking Bartender and making both sides of the menu bar collapsible. I dunno how else you resolve this really.

Apple wouldn't admin fault like that, it would be buried in accessibility settings.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

TACD posted:

They could do that, yeah. That would be a pretty reasonable way to resolve it. I could also see adding an option to push the menu bar below the notch and just leave the area to the left and right as unusable/turned off.

I'm just amazed that they didn't bother testing for edge cases like this ahead of launch. Like, I know Apple has issues with weird bugs in the OS (especially lately), but this really is one of those "you had one job" things, particularly for a professional-oriented laptop, as pro apps tend to be the ones with more poo poo in the menu bar.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't believe we're having this discussion when Steve solved the menu bar problem in 1989

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember when Mac OS X Public Beta shipped with a blue  front-and-center in the menu bar? Which you couldn't click on and it didn't do anything?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Remember when Mac OS X Public Beta shipped with a blue  front-and-center in the menu bar? Which you couldn't click on and it didn't do anything?

If only we had the notch no one would have noticed.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Some interesting tests with the base 14.

https://youtu.be/sQ9yfmCV6Kw

Bottom line, the pros and Max’s are beast chips.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

Apple prefers the free market offer solutions to the problems they create. Like when Apple got rid of all our ports and made everyone wait the better part of a year until non-janky reasonably priced USB-C hubs were available even though Apple could've just built their own hubs that everyone would have gladly paid a premium price for knowing they worked.

"It's the future!" (offers only a single USB-A to USB-C adapter at time of launch)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/Gg8oQjMa7u4

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually want to try Battlefield 4 in Parallels now, when my M1Pro gets in. Not expecting much but maybe??

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://blog.yiningkarlli.com/2021/10/takua-on-m1-max.html

M1/Arm native content creation perf writeup

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I haven’t seen anyone mention it, but this new headphone amp is LEGIT. Loads of power. I’m interested in some audio dork doing actual testing on it. I no longer have a need for an amp with my laptop and that’s pretty rad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ddogflex posted:

I haven’t seen anyone mention it, but this new headphone amp is LEGIT. Loads of power. I’m interested in some audio dork doing actual testing on it. I no longer have a need for an amp with my laptop and that’s pretty rad.

don’t worry, audiophiles will find a reason to poo poo on it in short order

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Data Graham posted:

So this laptop is a milkshake duck, is that what I'm getting?

Nah, this is people going out of their way to load up on menus and widgets so they can dunk on the notch for attention (that SnazzyQ twitter guy? Has a youtube channel to promote). Most people will never encounter this.

That said, it is real dumb that Apple shipped without anything to prevent menu items from disappearing under the notch. Auto reflow, something like that. If they fix that in a future Monterey point release, it'll ultimately be a giant nothingburger. (but people will still complain about the NotchBook Pro because holy poo poo some people lose their poo poo over display notches)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ddogflex posted:

Marco on ATP will do some legit tests and talk about it either tonight or next week. And he's not an idiot audio dork so it will be a reasonable take.

(unlike his weird hatred of white cars).

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

it is insanely weird that apple gave no consideration at all for menu items disappearing under the notch. was the notch a last minute decision or what?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sphyre posted:

was the notch a last minute decision or what?

No??

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Nah, this is people going out of their way to load up on menus and widgets so they can dunk on the notch for attention (that SnazzyQ twitter guy? Has a youtube channel to promote). Most people will never encounter this.

That said, it is real dumb that Apple shipped without anything to prevent menu items from disappearing under the notch. Auto reflow, something like that. If they fix that in a future Monterey point release, it'll ultimately be a giant nothingburger. (but people will still complain about the NotchBook Pro because holy poo poo some people lose their poo poo over display notches)

Quinn/Snazzy Labs is one of the more arguably reponsible and reasonable AppleTubers out there, and also one of the biggest.

I don’t think he’s exactly going out of his way to do clickbait, although it’s definitely clickbait.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

so they've known that there was going to be a notch blocking elements on the screen for months or years now, and simply decided to do nothing about it? pretty cool!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sphyre posted:

so they've known that there was going to be a notch blocking elements on the screen for months or years now, and simply decided to do nothing about it? pretty cool!

It’ll probably be fixed with an OS patch by the end of the week

End of next week if it takes them a while

I love how these launches always bring out these kinds of responses/people

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’ll probably be fixed with an OS patch by the end of the week

End of next week if it takes them a while

No kidding, like this might take a week to fix. Chill. Not to mention VERY FEW APPS have this problem.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

If it's anything like companies I've worked for, it would be shouted down as an edge case and kicked out the door in the name of the M1X revenue.

I swear if we'd manufactured a keyboard, a reproducible bug with the the tilde key wouldn't get scheduled for a fix until after several hours of debate and pie charts showing how much of our customer base speaks Spanish.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I will say that it is definitely not a big deal and will be addressed quickly, but it really does feel like one of those things that feel hard to believe they didn’t notice in some kind of internal testing. You’re putting in a thing that you know nerds will be up in arms about, you’ve already had to consider what to do about your menu items, so it’s not a bridge too far to think the problems that the ultranerds are amplifying should have been basic things they’d quality check.

I mean again, I’m not implying it’s a huge world-breaking thing but I can see where it raises eyebrows, maybe rightfully.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i'm just noting how it seems like a strange oversight to make, considering it was most people's first question when they found out about the notch and the fix wouldn't take much time to implement. i hope that's okay

Ok Comboomer posted:

:rolleyes:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I will say that it is definitely not a big deal and will be addressed quickly, but it really does feel like one of those things that feel hard to believe they didn’t notice in some kind of internal testing.

wow get a load of this guy melting down, what is with apple launches and these kinds of people,

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

It’s the exact same situation notch or without notch. You’re going to lose menu items or menus if you have too many of both for your screen real estate. No one complained about this back when the 11” was a thing. There probably does need to be an overflow menu but if the 11” didn’t need it, the 14” definitely doesn’t

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

chaosbreather posted:

It’s the exact same situation notch or without notch. You’re going to lose menu items or menus if you have too many of both for your screen real estate. No one complained about this back when the 11” was a thing. There probably does need to be an overflow menu but if the 11” didn’t need it, the 14” definitely doesn’t

I don't remember losing things under the bezel before. :thunk:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Quinn/Snazzy Labs is one of the more arguably reponsible and reasonable AppleTubers out there, and also one of the biggest.

I don’t think he’s exactly going out of his way to do clickbait, although it’s definitely clickbait.

I like Quinn partly because he's constantly making GBS threads on Tesla (and owns one, which makes it funnier). He gets a little spergy about poo poo, and he's definitely a mormon, but other than that, he's one of the better ones for sure.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

I'd argue most programs that have menu's that go way to the right have lazy programmers who need to rethink their menu's. Most of the apps I use stop well before the halfway part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Kreeblah posted:

It’s not that it’s a bezel, it’s that when you lose things you lose them in the middle of the bar, which has a bezel now, but either way you still lose stuff, just slightly sooner than you would have otherwise. The fact that there is a notch in the centre of the screen and the fact that if you put too much stuff in the menu bar you lose them from the center are independent.