Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There's also a weird rear end 18xx portfolio trick taking game called Trick of the Rails which I have but haven't gotten to the table yet. I'll get it to the table this week and maybe post some thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Trick of the rails is interesting but not especially exciting. Can't comment much more than that because I played it ages ago.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Out of unlock or exit which one is the better game if the only players are going to be me and my SO? Thinking of getting one so that I have something to tide me over until Pandemic Legacy s2 is out.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Out of unlock or exit which one is the better game if the only players are going to be me and my SO? Thinking of getting one so that I have something to tide me over until Pandemic Legacy s2 is out.

I'd suggest "not Exit" - they're pretty bad. After the Egypt one my wife was out (and she has normally enjoyed going through these). It was all groaners and dumb gimmicks, it was difficult to co-operate on, and just generally sad. I went through Secret Lab (original themes, guys!) by myself pretty quickly/smoothly (you kind of get a sense for how they operate after doing one; I'd be more specific here, but I don't know how without spoilers), but didn't enjoy any part of it really. If you do get the Exit games, my recommendation is to let yourself peek at the first clue card pretty early (and don't worry about scoring that). Don't actually read the card beyond the part that tells you "You need card X, Y, and Z before you can do this puzzle"; it won't ruin anything, it'll just save you the frustration of trying to solve a puzzle while not having all the pieces.

I got one "Unlock" game this weekend, but haven't tried it yet. I like that they gave up on dial/card answer-check mechanisms and are using an app to check answers; the little mechanisms are fiddly and often have to be awkwardly designed around. But I don't know if it'll actually be good.

The escape style game I can recommend with the most confidence is this one.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 12, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lorini posted:

Black people Spades is the best Spades!!!

Can you say some more about this because I don't want the potentially-misinterpreted "black people spades" in my search history. Nor do I want to see the hits that aren't about cards.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

homullus posted:

Can you say some more about this because I don't want the potentially-misinterpreted "black people spades" in my search history. Nor do I want to see the hits that aren't about cards.

http://adequateman.deadspin.com/a-caucasians-guide-to-spades-1781268460 is a good article.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for that. It suggests playing Uno if you want to have fun at cards, though. :crossarms:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

jmzero posted:

I'd suggest "not Exit" - they're pretty bad.

:( Oh...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So trick taking game, spades are always trump, bid on number of tricks taken and get 10 points+1 per exceeded trick?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Huxley posted:

I've never played a designer trick-taking game I thought was an improvement on Spades with my black friends and Rook with my old protestant grandparents who believed owning a proper deck of cards made them look bad in front of company.

Thank you for finally explaining the mystery of why my relatives were absolute monsters at Rook and completely incompetent at Spades and even Euchre :monocle:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tekopo posted:

I've only played the print & play scenario ("The Elite") of Unlock, and the EXIT Abandoned Cabin. Both were with my SO. For what it's worth, I enjoyed EXIT better and I believe she did as well.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Tekopo posted:

Trick of the rails is interesting but not especially exciting. Can't comment much more than that because I played it ages ago.

Yeah, we played Trick of the Rails and it just didn't gel. Afterwards, we were all just "huh". Not hating it, like Suitors or Rowboat, but "well, that was a thing".

I'd like to play it again, but it would mean actually choosing to play it over a zillion other trick-taking games, so...

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

Thank you for finally explaining the mystery of why my relatives were absolute monsters at Rook and completely incompetent at Spades and even Euchre :monocle:

This wasn't a joke at all, either:

wiki posted:

Rook is a trick-taking game, usually played with a specialized deck of cards. Sometimes referred to as "Christian cards" or "missionary poker", Rook playing cards were introduced by Parker Brothers in 1906 to provide an alternative to standard playing cards for those in the Puritan tradition or Mennonite culture who considered the face cards in a regular deck inappropriate[1] because of their association with gambling and cartomancy.

1 Thess 5:19-22 posted:

Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Deep south in Anabaptist country, they'll tell you that's one of the most important verses in the whole Bible. Rook exists along the same axis as not being alone with women who are not your wife and not walking down the wine aisle in the grocery store.

Not defending it, just expanding on it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

homullus posted:

quote:

The one steadfast commandment is that the house makes the rules.

That's all you really need to know :). Actually what I find is the biggest difference is that we never used this null/nollo poo poo. What?? That was very confusing when I first ran into it playing with white people. Black people always bid something. We sometimes played 3 player spades as well, everyone for themselves.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

StashAugustine posted:

So trick taking game, spades are always trump, bid on number of tricks taken and get 10 points+1 per exceeded trick?

Bid x10 if you make your bid, minus that much if you miss. +1 point for each extra trick up to 9 and then the 10th is -100 points.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every near-fist fight I've ever seen over Spades was someone bidding nil when they clearly had no business bidding nil.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Huxley posted:

Every near-fist fight I've ever seen over Spades was over someone bidding nil when they clearly had no business bidding nil.

I love bidding Nil. It's a completely different game.

Suicide Spades is even better.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

I love bidding Nil. It's a completely different game.

Suicide Spades is even better.

Some of the most intense games I've ever played was having the bid go like, "nil, 4, 3, nil," late in the game when everyone's got a bunch of bags. It becomes this high-stakes bluffing showdown on every axis.

(It usually ends with both teams bagging AND getting set and the game taking an extra hour.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Huxley posted:

Some of the most intense games I've ever played was having the bid go like, "nil, 4, 3, nil," late in the game when everyone's got a bunch of bags. It becomes this high-stakes bluffing showdown on every axis.

(It usually ends with both teams bagging AND getting set and the game taking an extra hour.)

Yup, that sounds like a normal round of Suicide.

The bidding usually starts with a discussion: "Oh man, I can't Nil, my hand is way too good." "Okay, fine, but I literally can't Nil." "...oh. poo poo. Okay, Nil it is."

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

cenotaph posted:

Is that a reimplementation of Piece o' Cake? Because I've been wanting a copy of that one for a while.

It looks like it, but I think it adds the Specials (various bonuses) as well.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Let's play some Pinochle

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Quidthulhu posted:

Let's play some Pinochle

That's my family's game of choice. 4 player is better but 3 player works fine.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I used to play pinnacolo and scala quaranta when I was young, playing cards at the beach was a summer activity for me. Along with watergun turf wars along the beach, ambushing opposing groups with gavetonni and supersoakers.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

It looks like it, but I think it adds the Specials (various bonuses) as well.

I looked it up on my own after I got to my computer (because gently caress using bgg on my phone) and it totally is. Going to order it tonight. Thanks to you and T-Bone for the responses.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This sounds like yooper euchre, where there's a ton of extra house rules that are complete bullshit, aren't explained, and screw You over when when you're sitting on a loner.

(To be fair, euchre is like the dumb little brother of trick taking games. Called trumps are fun though.)

Here's a "did you know": jacks were added to playing card decks because of the game of euchre and didn't exist before it's popularity in England. Trick taking games go back a good long while and are excellent.

Out of pinochle, euchre, bridge, spades & hearts, which is your favorite? I've had the most experience with euchre, but that's solely a location thing. Great Lakes/Midwest has a love affair with euchre and pinochle.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lord Frisk posted:

This sounds like yooper euchre, where there's a ton of extra house rules that are complete bullshit, aren't explained, and screw You over when when you're sitting on a loner.

(To be fair, euchre is like the dumb little brother of trick taking games. Called trumps are fun though.)

Here's a "did you know": jacks were added to playing card decks because of the game of euchre and didn't exist before it's popularity in England. Trick taking games go back a good long while and are excellent.

Out of pinochle, euchre, bridge, spades & hearts, which is your favorite? I've had the most experience with euchre, but that's solely a location thing. Great Lakes/Midwest has a love affair with euchre and pinochle.

Bridge.

Oh I forgot one! There's a game played with tarot cards in france, usually played 5p and the winner of the bidding auction gets a partner and the major arcana are trump and it's really trippy but pretty good.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Bridge - but 500 which is basically only played in Australia as far as I can tell is good as well.

Whist (especially if you play with a dummy) is good for playing casually because it has most of the elegance of the cardplay but none of the complexities of the auction.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh totally, I didn't mean to make a complete list of trick taking games. I'd especially like to hear from someone who prefers a non-standard deck version of the game. I've heard ghost stories about two deck pinochle, but those must be fairy tales.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Bridge - but 500 which is basically only played in Australia as far as I can tell is good as well.

I was surprised when I found out 500 was only really popular here, because it was fairly ubiquitous growing up.

It's similar to Euchre but the different hand sizes and deck size (10 cards per player, 3 card kitty, 43 cards overall for a standard 4 player game) mean there is much more room for card counting, and the extended bidding process allows for more communication.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

silvergoose posted:

Oh I forgot one! There's a game played with tarot cards in france, usually played 5p and the winner of the bidding auction gets a partner and the major arcana are trump and it's really trippy but pretty good.

What. Is. This.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Lord Frisk posted:

What. Is. This.

Is assumption the US variant?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Anniversary posted:

Is assumption the US variant?

No. That's a weird rear end fictional poker game using tarot cards.

The trick taking game is really cool. There's three key cards that you're trying for: the 21 of trump which auto wins of course, the fool which lets you play it instead of following suit and then replace with a card worth nothing so you keep it, and the 1 of trump which is obviously hard to guarantee winning and has a lot of the tension.

There's a bidding round where you determine who is going for how many points, but really the hard part is that 1 of arcana.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

https://www.pagat.com/tarot/frtarot.html is a summary of the rules.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I hear good things about Bottle Imp- not like you can actually buy it anywhere these days, though.

You can order it direct from the designer. He still had 50 copies left around a month ago. I bought two for 42 EUR total, shipped.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's not even remotely trick-taking, but I have fond memories of playing Gin Rummy with my grandfather. So much so that I paid $5 for a phone app to play against AI who wouldn't laugh at how much I sucked.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
A couple trick-taking games that generally go under the radar which I've enjoyed are Nyet! and Trick-Taking: The Trick-taking Game.

Nyet! has a problem of playing wayyyy too long to actually complete a game of its weight, but otherwise I really love what it does. It has a board with five variable "settings", each with 5 options, which players take turns vetoing until there is only 1 option left for each of the 5 settings. This is done before every round of tricks, so the game can be wildly different from hand to hand. The settings include who will be first player that round, how many cards players will discard or pass from their opening hand (1/2 discard, 1/2 pass, or none), which suit will be the trump suit, which suit with be a SUPER trump suit (only the 1s in that suit count as ST, or could be no ST), and finally how many points each trick is worth that round (ranging from 1 to 4, and then -2). Then to make it even more involved, it's a team game: whoever gets decided to be first player decides each round who his teammate(s) will be. In an odd-player count game, the team with fewer players has a slight scoring advantage, and the decision to set yourself up for that is largely dependent on being able to interpret the value of your hand against all the settings which were drafted for that round. All of that process alone can take upwards of 5-10 minutes with a group of gamers who want to really maximize their chances at winning, and you're supposed to play a total of 10 rounds to finish a game. And none of that is even any of the actual card play! Yet the Iello edition of the game (which is gorgeous btw) quotes it as a 30 minute play time on the box which is just laughable. All the same, I really love how "gamer-y" it makes the trick-taking formula.

TT: TTTG is similarly much more "gamified" than your average trick-taking game, but it works pretty well. The deck is comprised of 7 colored suits each ranked 1-7 (save one which goes to 8). In addition to their color and rank, each card ALSO has a third feature which is it's "trick type" I guess you'd call it? Ranging from Illusion, to Escape, to Conjure, etc., also a total of 7 different ones throughout the deck. The card play is pretty standard trick-taking fare (high card of the led color wins it), except that A) players continue playing cards until 7 cards are played to the table instead of the usual one-per-person (game plays 2-4), and B) each card that's played allows players to use the card's tick ability. These range from returning previously played cards to a player's hand, to attaching to a previous card to modify it's value up or down, to changing whether the trick is taken by the high card or the low card (can change multiple times before a round ends), and other shenanigans. It's all mathed out to play exactly 7 tricks to completion, after which players play one FINAL TRICK in which they build a custom starting hand out of all the cards they won in the first 7 tricks. Winner of that final trick is the winner of the game. Definitely puts a unique spin on the genre, and has the funny pun name to go along with it. :)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I only know 500 and I'm from the midwest and was taught by another midwestern.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

One of the best investments I've ever made, game-wise, was David Parlett's The Penguin Book of Card Games. Some of our favorite games have been random discoveries from there, and it's just fascinating to read as well. That's where I learned to play 500.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Are there any standard deck solo games that aren't solitaire-esque?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Are there any standard deck solo games that aren't solitaire-esque?

You'll have to define solitaire for this purpose, since the definition probably should be "single player card game with a playing card deck". :v: