Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thundarr posted:

I guess I don't get relatively high rank chocobo racing. I feel like if I'm not tilting up 100% of the time I'll never keep up, but there's no way to have enough endurance to pull that off. Whether I win or not comes down to lucky item pickups, and even then I lose more often than not. And gently caress if I want to grind dozens of losses just to get a rank 9 chocobo that can't win races either.

Is there something else I'm supposed to do aside from tap back when lathered, stay to the inside of the track, and somehow not be within 20 feet of another chocobo so that they don't magically cause my path to be blocked?
As far as the races themselves, picking good skills and then item management (i.e. deciding when to pick up items vs. leaving them) are the other main factors. And not hitting the race obstacles, which should be pretty obvious.

At that level, having a bird without pretty good genetics, you shouldn't expect to win many races. The goal is generally just to do ok so that you still get good experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So, I haven't played since the relaunch four years ago and was looking maybe getting into this again - am I going to have to buy both expansions at once, or will Stormblood include Heavensward? Irritatingly enough, it looks like Steam has Heaven'sward at 50% off, but everywhere else it's full price, and for some dumb reason a steam expansion key and a nonsteam realm reborn key are incompatible.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
well i added an extra 0 to my crysta purchase, this is unfortunate

am i totally hosed or can they refund me

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i bet they won't

gently caress

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Thundarr posted:

I guess I don't get relatively high rank chocobo racing. I feel like if I'm not tilting up 100% of the time I'll never keep up, but there's no way to have enough endurance to pull that off. Whether I win or not comes down to lucky item pickups, and even then I lose more often than not. And gently caress if I want to grind dozens of losses just to get a rank 9 chocobo that can't win races either.

Is there something else I'm supposed to do aside from tap back when lathered, stay to the inside of the track, and somehow not be within 20 feet of another chocobo so that they don't magically cause my path to be blocked?

Relatively high rank chocobo racing is the worst because you (probably) haven't been using good feed so your stats kind of blow for the races you end up doing once your bird is level 20 or so. Pretty much just suck it up and push through until you breed an amazing rank 9 chocobo and then feed it the good stuff.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
How many hours played is 1-49?
I'm wondering if I should buy the base game and expansion now that they are on sale.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

the panacea posted:

I'm wondering if I should buy the base game and expansion now that they are on sale.

You could probably get to level 50 in around 40 hours if you didn't get sidetracked by anything. It took me probably 3 times that long because I switched jobs and leveled 3 or 4 classes into their 30s before I chose one to stick with.

It COULD be done even faster once you have a max level job and are willing to grind out dungeon roulettes and Palace of the Dead over and over. But you might want to get the expansion because it will give you access to floors 11-150 of Palace of the Dead and it's a fun diversion from questing and doing the dungeon roulette.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 2, 2017

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

the panacea posted:

About 40-60 (it was closer to 60 when I did it but they've boosted experience so much that it's probably closer to 40 now). Then another 30 for the pre-expansion patch content and another 40 for heavensward.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I think there was someone in this thread who leveled to 60 in under a week. They admitted not watching cutscenes at all which there are a lot of. 40-50 hours sounds about right with cutscenes and minimal extraneous content done.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Ok thanks a lot. Might as well jump on it now I guess.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Here I was, excited because I had unlocked my first job. Whoo, I'm a Paladin!

Then I read this thread.

:gbsmith:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Then I read this thread.

Play what you enjoy, the meta game and strengths/weaknesses of the class mean nothing if you like what you're playing.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

chinese barbecue porp posted:

I think there was someone in this thread who leveled to 60 in under a week. They admitted not watching cutscenes at all which there are a lot of. 40-50 hours sounds about right with cutscenes and minimal extraneous content done.

Hi that was me. It was about a week and a half. Yes its possible. I don't recommend you do it unless you hate yourself though. I think I was playing like 12 hours a day.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

So while I'm downloading this: any recommendations what I should level first? I'd like something with strong Soloskills and used to tank in other MMOs.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Wolpertinger posted:

So, I haven't played since the relaunch four years ago and was looking maybe getting into this again - am I going to have to buy both expansions at once, or will Stormblood include Heavensward? Irritatingly enough, it looks like Steam has Heaven'sward at 50% off, but everywhere else it's full price, and for some dumb reason a steam expansion key and a nonsteam realm reborn key are incompatible.

Looks like Amazon has HW for $10 right now.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Every job is capable of soloing whatever. Thm is mandatory if you want to play any spellcasting class for cross class skills.. Warriors are good starters too.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

the panacea posted:

So while I'm downloading this: any recommendations what I should level first? I'd like something with strong Soloskills and used to tank in other MMOs.

Marauder.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Then I read this thread.

Dude I love PLD. It's a great job. Don't sweat the haters.

I've ran multiple low 12 minute Xelphatols with a paladin tank including a 12:02 and we've had multiple sub 11 minute Libraries with the same tank. Paladin does require the most activity when dealing with packs of mobs out of the three tanks, and that's why most people don't like it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Strong soloskills while being a tank you say?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dude I love PLD. It's a great job. Don't sweat the haters.

Seriously, the thread is generally obsessed with min-maxing to a level that isn't even necessary in Savage. If you like Paladin, play Paladin.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Then I read this thread.

Paladin is fine. Balance in this game is mostly fine. There are minor imbalances but they mostly only pop up for world-firsters. There is nothing like the crazy imbalance that existed (and to my knowledge, still exists) in WoW where some specs may as well not exist.

That said...

the panacea posted:

Marauder and arcanist are the closest thing to straight busted this game has. They are both highly in demand for raids and both are incredible solo classes. Be aware that SE has commented on these classes being a bit too strong in all areas of content and their dominance may not last into Stormblood.

"A long interview in Famitsu posted:

Q5. Now we'd like to get into job balance. Thanks to your careful balancing, there isn't a single job that can't clear all content. We think that is marvelous, but i feel warriors and Scholars are a little..you know?
Y. Not a little...I think they are sticking out when it comes to utility. I'm not comparing jobs with their personal potential, but when you look at the wide range of utility WARs and SCHs can offer, they are just outrageous.
Q. By that, you mean in an 8 man party?
Y. Not specifically an 8 man party. In any sort of party composition, WARs and SCHs can slip themselves through most situations and their seats are guaranteed. When you compare WARs and SCHs to other jobs, you can say there is a bigger container when it comes to playerskill where the job can carry you and that is what troubles me.
Q. Are youg going to touch them in the future?
Y. Not before the expansion and we aren't going to just snipe those two jobs. With the next expansion, we will balance all jobs as a whole including new actions to balance them out. Basically, we'd like to push the other jobs up there, but it's not as simple as buffing the other jobs will equal their strengths so we are still struggling. Systemly and having a pet is what makes it complicated, so we are trying to be careful.

My personal take is that I think they can probably get equilibrium between the tanks but I have no idea how they can ever fix scholar short of giving whm's and ast's a pet too.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Paladin is fine. Balance in this game is mostly fine. There are minor imbalances but they mostly only pop up for world-firsters. There is nothing like the crazy imbalance that existed (and to my knowledge, still exists) in WoW where some specs may as well not exist.

That said...

Marauder and arcanist are the closest thing to straight busted this game has. They are both highly in demand for raids and both are incredible solo classes. Be aware that SE has commented on these classes being a bit too strong in all areas of content and their dominance may not last into Stormblood.

My personal take is that I think they can probably get equilibrium between the tanks but I have no idea how they can ever fix scholar short of giving whm's and ast's a pet too.

Thanks a lot for the insight.
So this is the first game where a pet-class just does not straight up suck?!

I might as well go with that.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

cheetah7071 posted:

If you play a Lalafell you have objectively bad taste
Whatever it takes to dissuade predators considering their popotos baked, mashed, scalloped or otherwise macerated.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Failboattootoot posted:

They don't need a pet, but they need less punishing ability to have a constant HoT up. Regen is great, but it has a short duration. Medica II is incredible, but it has a high mana cost and builds aggro like crazy. Make regen last 30 seconds or something and give some sort of passive enmity reduction on big HoTs.

For AST, I'm not really familiar enough with the job to speculate, but I've played a lot of scholar and white mage going back to 2.0, and white mage has almost as much dicking around time as scholar does in cleric stance with all their HoTs up, but that can be an enmity nightmare and drains mana too fast.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Picked up Heavensward since it was only $10 on amazon which was the excuse I was looking for to actually play this thing. Bought the original game around launch but due to a bunch of factors I won't get into I only managed to play about 3 hours of that entire free month and hadn't touched the game since.

Guessing there's no benefit to continuing to play my super old untouched character and I'm good to reroll, right?

Also, the updater is giving me some kind of issue, it's having trouble downloading files and I have to keep restarting it. I can't tell if it's making progress or just trying to redownload the same file over and over. Running as admin didn't seem to fix it and googling it tells me I need to change my DNS which is probably beyond my tech knowledge. Is there some easy fix for this? An alternate download maybe?

also, is there any way for me to get those yokai watch things or is that gone forever

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yokai Watch is gone for good, you missed the boat on that. It's technically possible but realistically extremely unlikely that they'll run a repeat of the event.

Updater issues basically boil down to certain internet connections/routes cutting off temporarily during the download of some big file, which forces the updater to keep trying over and over to download that file. Usually you can get around it by using a VPN service, which through different routing can avoid the cutoff in the first place.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Vil posted:

Yokai Watch is gone for good, you missed the boat on that. It's technically possible but realistically extremely unlikely that they'll run a repeat of the event.

More likely it ends up in the cash shop eventually.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Failboattootoot posted:

WHM gets auto-life and/or some unlimited duration AoE regen, and AST gets Chaos Orb as a bonus card.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 2, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Then I read this thread.

One thing you really have to understand about this thread is that it's full of people who have put a lot of time into the game and have a lot of experience with the various aspects, and are thus more aware of the various flaws. Also that criticisms of parts of a thing don't necessarily mean the whole thing is bad.

Don't feel bad about your class selection, but do be aware of its strengths and weaknesses. It's unfortunate that paladins suck rear end at AOE, but there are no better tanks in terms of pure survivability.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Well, the main advantage of scholar is that they can heal while doing damage, so I think one solution is to have a healer that can heal through doing damage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, the main advantage of scholar is that they can heal while doing damage, so I think one solution is to have a healer that can heal through doing damage.

Assize exists, though.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Holy is the best heal in the game by an extremely large margin.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yeah I kind of figured the Yokai Watch stuff was gone forever, oh well. Maybe it'll return when they release another Yokai Watch game or something as a cross-promo thing in the future. Who knows.

Assuming I get the launcher to behave long enough to actually download the game, is there any big major dumb first-timer mistakes that I need to avoid or can I just kind of gently caress around and do whatever and not have any problems?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kelp Plankton posted:

Assuming I get the launcher to behave long enough to actually download the game
Use a VPN. I know that sounds like a joke, but someone else posted that they used CyberGhost 6, and then I had the same issue reinstalling on my new HD, and using that somehow fixed it. I don't know what bizarre network voodoo they're voo-doing over there at SE but at least it's easily fixed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mymla posted:

Holy is the best heal in the game by an extremely large margin.

Holy is incredible in aoe situations and more white mages should be aware that swiftcast holy followed by another two holies stun locks a pack for 7-8 seconds. They'll get a single auto attack out during the third cast but that shouldnt matter.

Basically if you're a white mage you should be sprinting to keep up with the tank and immediately spamming holy into the pack. If the tank gets critical just benediction him and cast another holy.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Thanks, you've all made me feel better about my Paladin. :v:

Plus, I plan on leveling up a bunch of other classes anyway. I'm glad it's not like FFXI, where people found such weirdly unintended optimal ways to play that tons of jobs just weren't considered viable.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah I kind of figured the Yokai Watch stuff was gone forever, oh well. Maybe it'll return when they release another Yokai Watch game or something as a cross-promo thing in the future. Who knows.

Assuming I get the launcher to behave long enough to actually download the game, is there any big major dumb first-timer mistakes that I need to avoid or can I just kind of gently caress around and do whatever and not have any problems?

There's nothing you can do to lock yourself out of content or miss something permanently. Make sure you keep up with your class/job quests and the main scenario since most things are tied to that, and look at the gated content guide linked in the OP for everything else.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Use a VPN. I know that sounds like a joke, but someone else posted that they used CyberGhost 6, and then I had the same issue reinstalling on my new HD, and using that somehow fixed it. I don't know what bizarre network voodoo they're voo-doing over there at SE but at least it's easily fixed.

Yeah just used Cyberghost since I saw it mentioned elsewhere and seems like it's doing the job. Bizzare but at least it's easy enough I guess.

Thanks for the help yall.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kelp Plankton posted:

In a year they may add the Yo-kai items to the mog station for sale, if you like paying $9 for a catte sword and $30 for a glowing scooty puff mount.

The main thing to keep in mind as a newbie is to always keep working on main story quests (with the meteor icon), since they unlock almost every game feature over time. The next most important are the class quests given by your class trainer every five levels. Then, any quest with a blue icon since those also unlock features. Yellow ! quests just give XP and items and maybe an amusing story, but you can literally ignore all of these and still get more than enough XP just from the first three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Assize exists, though.

Well that's not really the same thing, and it's not even close to what a scholar and fairy can do. I was thinking more like a buff that WHM or AST could put on a single target that would cause a portion of their damage to heal said target.

• Locked thread