Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

Isnt every good roguelike/roguelite a triumph of indie gaming?

You would probably like Slice & Dice, it's a good RL and I think we share an appreciation for dizzyingly long checklists full of unlockables (do this to unlock a new game mode! which provides the opportunity to unlock more stuff, including 2 more game modes, each with their own unlockables...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

including a game mode named "Blursed"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lol yeah that's the best game mode too, iirc everybody in the slice & dice thread was playing it and the dev popped in and was like "Oh I just made that mode because I thought it would be funny, I never even tried playing it"

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

FutureCop posted:

Was curious, how do people feel about Cult of the Lamb nowadays? It got a new update and is on sale, so I was thinking of checking it out, but I was a bit worried since the combat seemed rather simple and I typically go to roguelikes for challenging combat, ala Hades, Curse of the Dead Gods, and so on. Than again, maybe that's what the whole cult management is there to make up for and I wouldn't mind it as much.

It was Fine. Cute for a few hours, pretty easy and imo seemed kinda weirdly tuned and less than the sum of its parts.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

FutureCop posted:

Was curious, how do people feel about Cult of the Lamb nowadays? It got a new update and is on sale, so I was thinking of checking it out, but I was a bit worried since the combat seemed rather simple and I typically go to roguelikes for challenging combat, ala Hades, Curse of the Dead Gods, and so on. Than again, maybe that's what the whole cult management is there to make up for and I wouldn't mind it as much.

It wore out its welcome fast with me. The art style is cool, but the management and dungeon crawling were both mediocre to me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

goferchan posted:

You would probably like Slice & Dice, it's a good RL and I think we share an appreciation for dizzyingly long checklists full of unlockables (do this to unlock a new game mode! which provides the opportunity to unlock more stuff, including 2 more game modes, each with their own unlockables...)
I own it on phone and like it, it's a little more cognitively exhausting/exhaustive than is normally to my taste but it's definitely good and I like the item system a lot. I was being a little troll.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

FutureCop posted:

woke kaczynski posted:

It was Fine. Cute for a few hours, pretty easy and imo seemed kinda weirdly tuned and less than the sum of its parts.

Yeah, this is a great summation. The management portion is kind of ok and the dungeon crawling portion is also kind of ok but neither one is actually very much fun. Looks real good, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

For the talk about the Slay the Spire encounter map recently, the new roguelite mode in Arknights introduces a neat twist on it. You collect consumables during your run that come in one of two halves, first is a condition ("one combat node and a random adjacent node" "two vertically connected nodes" "three random nodes" etc.) and the second is an effect ("friendly units have +50 attack speed" "change the node to an elite encounter" or whatever). You can mix and match the halves to alter the map during a run -- they're very powerful but appropriately rare, and there are other weird details where combining certain ones can cause resonances that make shops in affected nodes sell discounted items, or extra allied units show up in battles or whatever. It's a cool addition to the formula and being able to pull off just one clutch map change per run can be enough to pull you out of the gutter.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Cult of the Lamb is the arch example of Style over Substance to me.
Cute art, but the gameplay is shallow as a puddle, and without the sheer breadth of content that something like Dave the Diver has.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I thought Cult of the Lamb was fun and neat. It isn't hard. But I enjoyed it a lot.

teo4512
Jun 27, 2023

Koburn posted:

Just started playing The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, there is so much to radiate and I'm just a smol bean with few tetrids. What should I be prioritizing?

In addition to what was said above, I'd also prioritize radiating thorned monsters as they are part of the unlock condition for a couple modes.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
The rescue requests in Shiren 6 are my new gaming obsession. I would've never guessed that solid roguelike gameplay to help others would have felt so gratifying!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

That does sound satisfying. I'm over MMOs at this point, but one of the good things about it was stumbling across other struggling players and giving them a hand. Being a virtual hero for a brief moment. :feelsgood:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I need to get into rescues. By the time I played 5 you couldn’t really do it without coordinating IRL. It’s such a neat, unique feature. Really surprised more games haven’t copied it.

What traditional style roguelikes are you guys aware of that have any kind of multiplayer functionality? Even if asynchronis like that? Seems a relatively untapped segment of the genre.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
People were saying Inkbound pulls off multiplayer turn-based roguelike stuff! I haven't tried it myself though.

If you're OK with action rogues, Spelunky and Barony have co-op. Spelunky multiplayer gets chaotic quickly though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

unattended spaghetti posted:

What traditional style roguelikes are you guys aware of that have any kind of multiplayer functionality? Even if asynchronis like that? Seems a relatively untapped segment of the genre.

A traditional roguelike with multiplayer is something we used to call a MOO or a MUD.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I too am old and know what a mud is.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

there is a very good multiplayer angband which is just time based roguelike, it owns.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

unattended spaghetti posted:

I need to get into rescues. By the time I played 5 you couldn’t really do it without coordinating IRL. It’s such a neat, unique feature. Really surprised more games haven’t copied it.

Yeah, it's a great system. It's like coop in Dark Souls - new players can get help if they're struggling, experienced players get an endless supply of stuff to do, and everybody gets a sense of community. Tons of benefits for a feature that's pretty simple to implement.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

anybody with RSIs play heavy input games like CDDA and have any tips for managing that? a couple hours of heavy crafting and environment navigating and my hand is killing me.

things I'm doing already
- seeing a physical therapist
- using the auto-navigate feature to get through forests

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

tokenbrownguy posted:

anybody with RSIs play heavy input games like CDDA and have any tips for managing that? a couple hours of heavy crafting and environment navigating and my hand is killing me.

things I'm doing already
- seeing a physical therapist
- using the auto-navigate feature to get through forests

Take a break from computer games entirely, unfortunately. Takes a few days for my wrist to calm down if I've overdone it, if you've got an actual diagnosis yours is probably much worse. Listen to the docs and stop doing the thing that hurts you!

edit: If I have to get computing stuff done, I'll use my mouse like it was an ergonomic device, and hold my hand sideways on it, with the pinky resting on the buttons and the, uh, 'hypothenar region' taking the weight on the back of the mouse. We should probably look into proper ergonomic stuff.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 8, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this" "well don't do that then"

You're not gonna heal if you keep aggravating the injury. Figure out a way to do it that doesn't hurt, or don't do it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i didn't think this was going to work and then it ground its way to the astrolith and then killed the king before any of the mass mind blades even came out somehow :pwn:

e: this has 6 speed and 4 inflexibility and walked into a map with both jawhara and kolec on it and emerged alive

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Serephina posted:

Take a break from computer games entirely, unfortunately. Takes a few days for my wrist to calm down if I've overdone it, if you've got an actual diagnosis yours is probably much worse. Listen to the docs and stop doing the thing that hurts you!

edit: If I have to get computing stuff done, I'll use my mouse like it was an ergonomic device, and hold my hand sideways on it, with the pinky resting on the buttons and the, uh, 'hypothenar region' taking the weight on the back of the mouse. We should probably look into proper ergonomic stuff.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this" "well don't do that then"

You're not gonna heal if you keep aggravating the injury. Figure out a way to do it that doesn't hurt, or don't do it.

I appreciate the well intentioned advice, but I was hoping for more along the lines of "use these features made for folks with disabilities that you've never considered because of your privileges." My docs are a-okay with me doing intensive hand stuff, like climbing, riding motorcycles, and lifting. I'm also backing off gaming when its a bad hand day, doing my stretches, and thinking about stuff like Serephina's karate mouse hand hack. Was just hoping for more mitigation strategies I might not have considered.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

SettingSun posted:

I thought Cult of the Lamb was fun and neat. It isn't hard. But I enjoyed it a lot.

Same but also it was a few good tastes together that i already generally enjoy.

I've seen past criticisms that the two gameplay halves on the weaker side for each thing which i think is fair though.

also, ive had some poor luck in path of achra lately and havent had a second win for a few times. I know it's me getting too confident on forbidden places and trying too much for a summon/minion build though so gonna try to shift to more armory fighty types for a bit. also other than that it seems to just be poor resistance planning for the last few areas after the towers.

at least these past few runs unlocked all the starting options except for maybe a class or two

bobthenameless fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 8, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

tokenbrownguy posted:

I appreciate the well intentioned advice, but I was hoping for more along the lines of "use these features made for folks with disabilities that you've never considered because of your privileges." My docs are a-okay with me doing intensive hand stuff, like climbing, riding motorcycles, and lifting. I'm also backing off gaming when its a bad hand day, doing my stretches, and thinking about stuff like Serephina's karate mouse hand hack. Was just hoping for more mitigation strategies I might not have considered.

Sorry for being an rear end in a top hat. It's easy to assume that goons are being idiots, but alas, I am also a goon.

As for accessibility features, unfortunately I think that generally has to be implemented on a game-by-game basis, and I don't know much of anything about CDDA. For general-purpose accessibility, all I can think of is speech-to-text and alternate keyboards. I've always been curious about chorded keyboards, for example; they can be used one-handed, so if you have one hand that's still good, you could try that. You do have to re-learn how to type on them, though, and I don't imagine they'd be usable for realtime gaming.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

no sweat homie, goons crave wells. I get it :respek:

Best thing I've done so far is buy a floating numpad so I can use the Num-9 stuff with my left (good) hand. Chorded keyboards look pretty sweet, probably worth looking into.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You could also look into stuff like AutoHotKey, which lets you write little scripts to do stuff like repeatedly press a sequence of keys. Roll-your-own autoexplore and so on.

For CDDA specifically, you can skip a lot of tedious inventory management by using the advanced/nearby inventory menu. You can move entire piles of unsorted crap from adjacent squares into a grabbed vehicle with a few keypresses, for example.

I gather you can also set up zones to have buddy NPCs do tedious jobs like sorting loot by type for you, though I haven't used it.

megane fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 8, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

foot pedals are pretty good for chording in general (and pretty comfy depending on your setup)

general ergonomics are super important, desk, chair, keyboard, mouse, monitor height - all of those in conjunction will heavily impact how straining kbm usage is on your hands and wrists. I redid my whole setup a few years back and haven't had any notable issues since - though these days I mostly use wireless kbm and play on a tv, not sitting at a computer desk anymore

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
For the few of you still playing Achra, I finally cracked Path of Life on cycle 24 with easily the most busted build I've yet had in the game. Crow Visage and Kairos skirt, so every kill triggers every "Game Turn" action as well as every stand still action. Had the whip that hits once for each ally on every game turn. Also ended up with the chaos staff that was blasting for 50,000 per turn on every stand still, which triggered on every kill.
Cleared most of the rooms late in the game by pressing space bar once. Once I got within two tiles of the king of many colours, I hit spacebar once, hit him 50 times in one turn and killed him.

Now I never have to build pure life again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

tokenbrownguy posted:

not exactly what you're looking for but as an aside, get ye a vertical mouse if you don't have one already. only helps the one wrist obviously but it still did wonders for me

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/lift-vertical-ergonomic-mouse.html

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gofer, IZ game club is doing Roguelike Month so pop in imo

Said month has also made me finally get back to ToME after playing it pretty obsessively back in 2017-2018 (just prior to Cults I think). They really doubled down on some of the most spikey encounters being instant game enders huh, I didn't really think Urkis and the Master had to be harder lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Majestic posted:

For the few of you still playing Achra, I finally cracked Path of Life on cycle 24 with easily the most busted build I've yet had in the game. Crow Visage and Kairos skirt, so every kill triggers every "Game Turn" action as well as every stand still action. Had the whip that hits once for each ally on every game turn. Also ended up with the chaos staff that was blasting for 50,000 per turn on every stand still, which triggered on every kill.
Cleared most of the rooms late in the game by pressing space bar once. Once I got within two tiles of the king of many colours, I hit spacebar once, hit him 50 times in one turn and killed him.

Now I never have to build pure life again.

That sounds like an incredible combo, nice

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

As another hand pain goon I can attest that anything which vertically aligns your wrist gives a lot of relief. That's why on my good days I can still play things on a Xbox controller, but twisting my wrist horizontally to use a keyboard is just out of the question. A vertical mouse was a strange adjustment for me, but you get used to it.

Also worth mentioning is a program I've gotten a good deal of use out of: xpadder. It's not free, but without it I'd basically wouldn't be able to use my computer lol. It allows me to map normal keyboard or mouse functions onto my Xbox, and you can have multiple profiles so that you can make custom controller setups for games that normally don't have controller support. Plus for me It feels pretty slick to be able to have my controller by my bed and use it to navigate Netflix or turn off my PC without having to get out from under the covers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Achra dev is a maniac (good) and some actual nerfs have hit the Path:

quote:

The streak continues, along with some rare depowering -- a few things removed, even though I hate to do this, but specifically apostle / skeleton "divine intervention farming" and some other power creep was becoming too oppressive toward new design ideas

Added Agara, god of sorcerers, tons of elemental damage, performs all "stand still" actions on prayer
Ape now also gives -10% all resistances for each worn armor
Skeleton no longer gains Willpower / Strength on divine intervention, now gains Armor / Block = Glory, per item in bag, astral vulnerability lowered
Apostle no longer gains Willpower on divine intervention, now heals 600 on divine intervention
Phoenix Willpower gain on divine intervention limited to once per area, fire damage reduced to 200, self-damage now scales with Willpower * 1% of your max Life
Dorok now gains Poise on being attacked, 1st prayer removes all non-Poise effects
the Worm heal / psychic damage corrosion-scaling reduced, 3rd prayer scaling reduced to 25% of max Life
Ikshana on-step now requires no adjacent enemies
Reduced Eris attribute scaling
Tweaked deity initial attribute bonuses
Removed "Null" armor from the pool, it needs a total rework or to just be replaced with something more interesting
Removed Protection from Masked Zealots, added Impact
Added Protection to Jeweled Visage
[*]Tried again, familiars should now move through non-familiars of the same range

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm glad the dev is willing to just crowbar something out instead of trying to skirt around it for forever

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I know I'm late to the party, but any path of Achra tips? I can consistently get to mid game until I hit a boss and get smoked.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
This is going to make me sound like an rear end in a top hat, but it's not bad advice:

Fight fewer bosses. Bosses are often way stronger than the alternatives, and it takes some time to learn when and how you can smush one.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DrManiac posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but any path of Achra tips? I can consistently get to mid game until I hit a boss and get smoked.

the name of the game is finding chaining effects to multiply the number of things that happen every time you push a button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

foot pedals are pretty good for chording in general (and pretty comfy depending on your setup)

general ergonomics are super important, desk, chair, keyboard, mouse, monitor height - all of those in conjunction will heavily impact how straining kbm usage is on your hands and wrists. I redid my whole setup a few years back and haven't had any notable issues since - though these days I mostly use wireless kbm and play on a tv, not sitting at a computer desk anymore

One pro-tip I got from a wrist/forearm doctor after I hurt my wrist: if you're prone to resting your wrist on the desk while typing, move your keyboard to the front edge of the desk so there's nothing to rest on. I now make sure to do that whenever I'm playing keyboard games