Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

A5H posted:

It's a loving rad song.
Is it a true story or what?
It gives me hope for the album as I found the other 2 songs quite poor. I want another Why it Scares Me.
What? Harder Harmonies is loving amazing. Have you checked out the lyrics yet?

e: Figured I could post a link for those interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dCWZPm1tk

Also, I've read through the lyrics of Edward Benz (http://www.ladisputemusic.com/2011/09/edward-benz-27-times) a few times and my reading comprehension is evidently failing me. The italicized stuff is Jordan commenting on the story, while the regular text is Jordan's paraphrased version of the story, correct? The last italicized part is kind of confusing to me, however. Am I just dumb?

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
The lyrics are great, there's also a series of sketches and the first draft of lyrics online that I'll try to find in a little while. I enjoyed checking it out.

edit: that was easier than I thought http://download711.mediafire.com/nn0j1p5dq8fg/ozz45d86p11lr0b/FirstDrafts%2BSketches.zip

In the mean time, the entire album is now streaming

http://www.facebook.com/LaDisputeMusic?sk=app_151214074972699

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
Holy hell I am really really digging the new La Dispute album. I was so excited to hear that they used the same riff from one of their little videos a while back on "A Letter". drat, I absolutely love this band.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

gently caress me. This is dark as gently caress.
This album is incredible.

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news
this album is absolutely incredible. jordan can tell a story like no other and the music never bores me. it's a shame that there's a hate bandwagon against them. but they're touring with thrice and all those idiots aren't

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

King's Park. Holy gently caress. That is some powerful poo poo. I drive by that place regularly, and I know exactly what this is all about, but this truly makes it feel soul crushing beyond all reason.

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news

Vegastar posted:

King's Park. Holy gently caress. That is some powerful poo poo. I drive by that place regularly, and I know exactly what this is all about, but this truly makes it feel soul crushing beyond all reason.

the end..gently caress..

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Vegastar posted:

It's one of the greatest songs ever recorded.
Absolutely mind boggling how such a young lad can come up with some of the stuff on this album.
It's 3am and I think I need to go for a walk.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

king park indeed, jesus

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

I've listened through it a few times today, and I can't tell if I like it more than Satb, but goddamn it is just as powerful while being a hell of a lot lighter musically.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
yeah this album is awesome. what exactly is King Park about? (or, what is King Park).

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

LtTennisBall posted:

yeah this album is awesome. what exactly is King Park about? (or, what is King Park).

Kings Park is about a real drive by that happened here a few years back. Martin Luther King Jr. Park on the corner of Franklin and Fuller, definitely the more ghetto side of town. It all went down pretty much as the song says, but that mostly makes it hit harder.

This album is extra awesome for me knowing all the places they're talking about.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
La Dispute is terrible what's wrong with all of you? This sounds like watered down skramz riffs from the early 2000s and the singer of At The Drive In if he sucked even more.

The new Night Birds LP is out for mail order (on Grave Mistake) and they are doing the record release show on Oct. 15th. Everyone should check that record out because it's awesome.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

answersyouseek posted:

La Dispute is terrible what's wrong with all of you? This sounds like watered down skramz riffs from the early 2000s and the singer of At The Drive In if he sucked even more.

The new Night Birds LP is out for mail order (on Grave Mistake) and they are doing the record release show on Oct. 15th. Everyone should check that record out because it's awesome.

I ordered that (hopefully I got the limited version) but have yet to be able to listen to it. Night Birds are pretty consistently awesome, so the record should be pretty awesome.

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news

answersyouseek posted:

i don't get these comparisons at all

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Awesome, listening to the stream of Wildlife. So good. I think I might have to pick up the vinyl.

God I love this band.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

LtTennisBall posted:

I ordered that (hopefully I got the limited version) but have yet to be able to listen to it. Night Birds are pretty consistently awesome, so the record should be pretty awesome.

Yeah they are one of my favorite bands around these days. All of their records rule and I've seen them 8 times and they've never been bad. They weren't even bad playing in the parking lot of a convenience store at 10 in the morning during Best Friends Day. I'm so excited for the record release show, even if it is Government Warning's last show.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

answersyouseek posted:

Good post. Band is not good.

I really need to move to Richmond. Missing BFD when I'm only a short drive away was painful.

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 23, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

answersyouseek posted:

Yeah they are one of my favorite bands around these days. All of their records rule and I've seen them 8 times and they've never been bad. They weren't even bad playing in the parking lot of a convenience store at 10 in the morning during Best Friends Day. I'm so excited for the record release show, even if it is Government Warning's last show.

Sucks they won't be touring America till sometime next year, but oh well. I'd really love to see them.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Good post. Band is not good.

I really need to move to Richmond. Missing BFD when I'm only a short drive away was painful.

Night Birds was the only thing I went to that was cool at BFD. There are so many shows in Richmond that are so much better than BFD all the time so move here but not for that pile of poo poo.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Well I get to drive in on weekends for all of my lovely diy pop punk shows at least!!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
NoMeansNo is coming to where I live! I'm very excited.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Well I get to drive in on weekends for all of my lovely diy pop punk shows at least!!

Oct. 15th: Government Warning's Last Show, Night Birds LP Release, Cloak/Dagger, and 1 more tba. You should definitely go.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

answersyouseek posted:

Oct. 15th: Government Warning's Last Show, Night Birds LP Release, Cloak/Dagger, and 1 more tba. You should definitely go.

Wow that's a good show.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Just got home from the Descendents in NYC. Every bit as good as I expected, I almost want to go to Philly tomorrow night to see them again. Was also my first time seeing Suicide Machines or H2O live, good stuff.

Bangarang Roofio!
Sep 24, 2011

answersyouseek posted:

I only have Somewhere at the Bottom... but the vocals definitely give me more of a mewithoutYou vibe.

Anyways, gonna check it out. Anyone have any strong opinions on the Here, Hear EPs? Worth checking out?

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Bangarang Roofio! posted:

I only have Somewhere at the Bottom... but the vocals definitely give me more of a mewithoutYou vibe.

Anyways, gonna check it out. Anyone have any strong opinions on the Here, Hear EPs? Worth checking out?

They're completely different. Poetry over music, essentially, but I love them and the three are my designated relaxation music. If you want to try just one of them first, 3 is probably the most polished and more musical than the other two.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Cobra skulls new album is alright. It's really polished, and if you enjoyed rebel fate, you'll love this. I just miss their old folky/rockabilly sounds. However, I just saw them for their hometown release party and holy poo poo, what an awesome show. mostly draw muhammad and sitting army stuff, with some bringing the war home. I grabbed a setlist, don't know why though, since they didn't follow it at all.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm still not entirely sure what this thread is about in terms of genre.

I've been listening to In Oceans and The Elijah the past couple of days and really digging them. Anyone else into that stuff and can suggest similar bands?

http://www.facebook.com/Inoceansband

http://www.facebook.com/theelijahuk

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

answersyouseek posted:

The vocals in La Dispute sound nothing like ATDI. :confused:

EDIT: They sound exactly like another band that I can't put my finger on though.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 24, 2011

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what this thread is about in terms of genre.

It's all over the place. Would be nice if it was a little more focused, but at least I'm learning things about genres I usually wouldn't be interested in.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
It's better this way than to have a skram thread, a (pop)punk thread, a emo thread, and a hardcore thread that are even more dead than this thread already is.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

TriggerHappy posted:

Just got home from the Descendents in NYC. Every bit as good as I expected, I almost want to go to Philly tomorrow night to see them again. Was also my first time seeing Suicide Machines or H2O live, good stuff.

If you didn't make it down to Philly to see them, you should have. They put on an amazing show. Naked Raygun, on the other hand, was complete poo poo. The lead singer looked like he was off his meds half the time. And 6 hours of opening bands was a little too much to handle.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
So yesterday I went to the record store and asked the guy there for recommendations for some hardcore. I want something in the vein of Tragedy, From Ashes Rise, His Hero is Gone and so on. I ended up buying Children of Technology (bad choice, didn't like it), Skitsystem - Grå Värld / Svarta Tankar which owned and World Burns to Death - Graveyard of Utopia which I also liked.

I'll return the Children of Technology record, so does anyone have some reccomendations for me.

Bangarang Roofio!
Sep 24, 2011

Mordekai posted:

So yesterday I went to the record store and asked the guy there for recommendations for some hardcore. I want something in the vein of Tragedy, From Ashes Rise, His Hero is Gone and so on. I ended up buying Children of Technology (bad choice, didn't like it), Skitsystem - Grå Värld / Svarta Tankar which owned and World Burns to Death - Graveyard of Utopia which I also liked.

I'll return the Children of Technology record, so does anyone have some reccomendations for me.

My friend's buddy here in Cleveland is in a band called Masakari. They've been getting a lot of attention recently and they're pretty heavily inspired by a lot of that D-beat stuff. They recently did a split with a German band called Alpinist and it's one of the best records of the year imo.

Check it out:
http://masakari.bandcamp.com/

And the mediafire for their split should you like what you hear:
http://www.mediafire.com/?a93tfd7cywa7d1d

Also, here's a band I've been digging as of late:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Protestant/178498548862758

Let me know what you think.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Can we talk about how epic the Descendents' Philly set was? Milo bringing his kids out to help do All-O-Gistics?

Both shows were great. The Suicide Machines are still my favorite live punk band ever.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

The vocals in La Dispute sound nothing like ATDI. :confused:

EDIT: They sound exactly like another band that I can't put my finger on though.

mewithoutYou? it's what everyone compares them to. Am I the only one that doesn't really hear it? On that note, what mewithoutYou albums are worth checking out? I have A->B Life

luckdragon
Dec 5, 2008

Gogey posted:

mewithoutYou? it's what everyone compares them to. Am I the only one that doesn't really hear it? On that note, what mewithoutYou albums are worth checking out? I have A->B Life

all of them, man. they go in a bunch of different directions with the other albums but it's all gold. listen in chronological order.

Bangarang Roofio!
Sep 24, 2011

Gogey posted:

Brother, Sister is my favorite but they're all pretty deece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010
Hey dudes! I've been listening to a lot of trial and chokehold lately, any other recommendations for pissed-off political hardcore? i don't really like metalcore, unless it like really rules.