Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ExecuDork posted:

My local used-camera market is pathetic. The thrift shops (Value Village and Salvation Army) never seem to have anything except one or two boring, anonymous 35mm P&S between them, and the pawn shops don't know what the gently caress. There's some interesting stuff at the largest pawn shop in town, and the owners / employees are pretty good about letting me poke around inside the display cases, but there's no organization and the prices are stupid. The SLRs and lenses are organized by brand name, which at least narrows down my search when looking at bodies. But then there's the pile of Sigma lenses, the pile of Vivitar lenses, the pile of Tamron lenses, etc. No loving clue what mount these are, and there are some real oddballs at the backs of those piles. Last time I was in I looked at a Vivitar Series 1 70-200, but the push-pull ring was wobbly and extremely stiff zooming, and I had no idea what the mount was - certainly not Pentax-K nor Minolta-SR. That lens was $150, and you could write a sonata in the dust on the exposed front element.

On the other side of the aisle they had their video cameras. I've got a cheap-and-nasty old Canon DC210 I got about a year ago from ebay for $90 including shipping, they had two identical camcorders for $250 each. It's very frustrating, because it's like they don't know that the internet exists.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant. Silly question time: does anyone have any recommendations for a light-proof bag? I was thinking I'd pick up something from a Chinese or Taiwanese seller on ebay, but I'm curious if people have had issues.

Equally as bad here in Taiwan. Every once and a while I can score an awesome deal online, but those are few and far between. When I go to camera shops, they want drat near retail price, no matter what it is.

That aside, I finally got a developing tank! Pretty happy about that.

Well, it seems like every time I post, I am the first one on a new page hah. I will have to get some pictures up as soon as I develop my first roll!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ran a roll of some Fuji 400 through my OM-2 with the 50mm. Dropped it at Walgreens yesterday just because I'm lazy. Guy said "yeah I can have this done in an hour for you."

Awesome. Off to lunch I go.

Pop back into the store an hour later.

"Heeey, I was just about to call you."

:ohdear:

"Yeeeah, we have a problem." He unrolls my negatives to reveal.... blank film. Turns out my dumb rear end didn't quite get the first part of the roll into the... [name of that thing that winds it forward], and when I tugged my rewind wheel a bit to tense up the film after my shots, I pulled the whole drat thing back into it and took 24 pictures with the film fully back in the canister.

:saddowns:

We had a good laugh about it and the guy didn't charge me anything, but let that be a lesson to you all. Don't Do What DJExile Does

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
On 99% of cameras you will be able to see the film sprocket (rewind knob) moving when you advance the film if it's loaded correctly.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Sevn posted:

Equally as bad here in Taiwan. Every once and a while I can score an awesome deal online, but those are few and far between. When I go to camera shops, they want drat near retail price, no matter what it is.

That aside, I finally got a developing tank! Pretty happy about that.

Well, it seems like every time I post, I am the first one on a new page hah. I will have to get some pictures up as soon as I develop my first roll!

When I was Tokyo, the selection at used camera shops was incredible--but I didn't bother asking for prices. I wonder how anybody buys anything there. :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I HATE CARS posted:

On 99% of cameras you will be able to see the film sprocket (rewind knob) moving when you advance the film if it's loaded correctly.

Yep, same here. I never looked at it through the last roll. :(

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

DJExile posted:

I just started a roll yesterday (first one in a while, and in a new camera) and I'm pretty sure I didn't once look at the rewind knob. It's making me kind of paranoid but I bet I'll forget to check next time too.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

My local used-camera market is pathetic. The thrift shops (Value Village and Salvation Army) never seem to have anything except one or two boring, anonymous 35mm P&S between them, and the pawn shops don't know what the gently caress.

At Value Village you have to look in the expensive-stuff case for cameras, and all over the damned place for other supplies. I picked up an AE-1 with 2 lenses & flash for $30 (display case), and a Super System 4 Universal kit with 2 reels for $5 (with the telephones? whaaa?) - both this month.

Sooo, that leads in to my dumb question about the tank.

I'm sure that I'm missing something obvious, but why is it necessary to pry the canister open to get the film out? Couldn't I just extract the first bit back out, snip it off, and wind the film on to the reel directly out of the canister?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

aehiilrs posted:

I'm sure that I'm missing something obvious, but why is it necessary to pry the canister open to get the film out? Couldn't I just extract the first bit back out, snip it off, and wind the film on to the reel directly out of the canister?

You can indeed do that, by either using a film leader retriever (there is a cheaper metal one, trust me, the expensive one is worth it), or if you aren't using an automatic rewind camera, carefully rewind the film until you feel/hear the leader come off of the other spool and take it out of the camera looking exactly like it did when you put it in.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

aehiilrs posted:

There also is a risk of damaging the film if you take it back through the "felt." The felt, or whatever you want to call the fuzz on the canisters lips may at some point between rewinding and getting ready to develop picked up a piece of grit that scratches the emulsion, so you would have a nice line in all your negatives. Personally I don't live in the Sahara desert and I have a pretty good habit of putting exposed film pack in it's container so I have just done what you have described, just be aware there is a risk with doing it that way.

Reichstag posted:

You can indeed do that, by either using a film leader retriever (there is a cheaper metal one, trust me, the expensive one is worth it), or if you aren't using an automatic rewind camera, carefully rewind the film until you feel/hear the leader come off of the other spool and take it out of the camera looking exactly like it did when you put it in.

Some of the Canons have a custom function to leave the leader out side of the canister.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ferris Bueller posted:

Some of the Canons have a custom function to leave the leader out side of the canister.
Thanks, I'm between rolls of film on my A2E and this will make my life so much easier next time.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

On the other side of the aisle they had their video cameras. I've got a cheap-and-nasty old Canon DC210 I got about a year ago from ebay for $90 including shipping, they had two identical camcorders for $250 each. It's very frustrating, because it's like they don't know that the internet exists.

The thing is, the clientele at pawn shops is basically made up of people who don't know the internet exists.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

Reichstag posted:

That's awesome to hear. A Kodak retriever that looks identical to the one you linked actually came in the box with the tank.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The thing is, the clientele at pawn shops is basically made up of people who don't know the internet exists.
Yeah, I get that impression whenever I'm in one. It's weird, some of the pawn shops I've been in feel like I've stepped back to about 1992, some give off a strong "money laundering happens here" vibe, others are like today's world, but minus the internet - they'll have MP3 players, big flatscreen TVs, and PS3s, but no laptops, no netbooks, no desktop computers, and no smartphones. But the clerk will be watching a movie on the not-for-sale computer next to the old-school cash register.

Pawn shops are very strange places. I've got to browse the A/T job threads here and see if any goons have ever worked in one.

Will a garden-variety bottle opener work for cracking open 135 film cartriges? I've been in the habit of rewinding several turns past the feel of the end comming off of the take-up reel out of paranoia to avoid fogging / exposing the first frame, it's not a habit I'm likely to break when I start developing my own film (rolls of Ilford HP5 scheduled to get here any day now) and I don't feel like spending three-fifths of what I spent for the tank, reels, chemicals, trays, etc. on a retriever, as nice as it may be.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, I get that impression whenever I'm in one. It's weird, some of the pawn shops I've been in feel like I've stepped back to about 1992, some give off a strong "money laundering happens here" vibe, others are like today's world, but minus the internet - they'll have MP3 players, big flatscreen TVs, and PS3s, but no laptops, no netbooks, no desktop computers, and no smartphones. But the clerk will be watching a movie on the not-for-sale computer next to the old-school cash register.

Pawn shops are very strange places. I've got to browse the A/T job threads here and see if any goons have ever worked in one.

Will a garden-variety bottle opener work for cracking open 135 film cartriges? I've been in the habit of rewinding several turns past the feel of the end comming off of the take-up reel out of paranoia to avoid fogging / exposing the first frame, it's not a habit I'm likely to break when I start developing my own film (rolls of Ilford HP5 scheduled to get here any day now) and I don't feel like spending three-fifths of what I spent for the tank, reels, chemicals, trays, etc. on a retriever, as nice as it may be.

Yeah, I use a bottle opener. It may take a couple tries to grab the lip of the top in the dark, though.

I've never had any success in pawnshops, ever. The best gear I've seen is dusty Pentax-K zooms from the 70s or a cheap 90s EOS body, and both those stores wanted about 5x what it was worth, in my estimation. I know you're supposed to go in and haggle, but when they're asking new prices for some used item, it just makes me want to leave instead.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

DJExile posted:

Part of my routine when picking up a camera is to spin the rewind until I get resistance or confirm that it's empty. The counter won't always tell you the true story, and I may or may not have gaff tape over the film window to cover a light leak...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I found a toy camera (Bilora Bella 66) on a flea market yesterday, and it had a roll of film in it. I plan on trying to get it developed but I'm wondering how long it has been sitting there.
It's Kodacolor Gold 200, 120 format, code GB. Does anyone have a suggestion for when it was discontinued?

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

McMadCow posted:

:siren: Go to pawn shops, people!!! :siren:
I just picked up a 35mm f2.8 for my Leica R for $110. That's around 1/4 the price KEH is asking for the same thing.
It was pretty dirty but I took it apart and cleaned all the lens elements and lubed up all the parts. Now it's looking great and I saved a shitload on it. Pawn shops often times see old lenses (especially ones made of only metal...) and think they have no value. So go there and rip them off! :v:

HAGGLE GODDAMMIT!

I'm letting slip my SECRET TECHNIQUES for dealing with pawnshops AND thrift stores! If a camera/lens/whatever has been sitting there for MONTHS, the pawn shops are usually VERY interested in selling you those parts for CHEAP. Its not only taking up shelf space, but its also money THEY gave out, and not seeing a return on it!! Some places put dates when the items were put out. Some don't.

Judge for yourself and don't be afraid of using the line "Yeah, I saw this year last month, could you give me a better price?" The only harm, is in NOT asking. I've had better success at doing this at more CHAIN pawn shops than independent ones because the chain stores have more overhead and a bigger "get it out the door" mentality.

When it comes to thrift stores, its all about timing. You could have a great day, or a real bad one. I got my Voigtlander Vitomatic I for $5 at a thrift store. I've also got a Snap-On impact gun for 10$ at one as well. Just be there at the right time and you will get some good stuff.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ASSTASTIC posted:

HAGGLE GODDAMMIT!

This! It is especially useful overseas like here in Taiwan (maybe not so much in Japan). I basically got a 20mm 2.8 and a Nikon F80 for 100 US because I told the guy nobody would want to buy a film camera. He used an old D40, so the 20mm wouldn't autofocus on that, I guess he thought it was useless :D A lot of the shops in Taipei are terrible though. Film cameras for twice what they are worth, they won't bargain, and they will be quick to tell me "oh, nobody uses film anymore..."

You would think they would at least be willing to put a little effort into selling gear nobody will ever want again....

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The pawn shop around here is funny because they seem to price everything based on how new it looks. Last time I was in there, they had a Nikon N65 with some off brand f5.6 zoom for $200, and a 4x5 Crown Graphic for $75 (I didn't have the money to grab it that day, sadly).

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
Woo! Somebody on my local craigslist has a bunch of Tmax (not exactly what I want to be shooting, but hey - it's film) and later today I'm gonna go pick up 25 rolls of 120 (mixed 100 & 400) for 45 bucks. Hells yes.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Craigslist is always an occasional good find. I got my mamiya c33+150mm lens for a good price and this morning I got a rolleiflex 2.8c for <$200 :D

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

ASSTASTIC posted:

HAGGLE GODDAMMIT!

I talked him down from $170 v:shobon:v

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

nielsm posted:

I found a toy camera (Bilora Bella 66) on a flea market yesterday, and it had a roll of film in it. I plan on trying to get it developed but I'm wondering how long it has been sitting there.
It's Kodacolor Gold 200, 120 format, code GB. Does anyone have a suggestion for when it was discontinued?

It was introduced in the mid 80's. I think it disappeared in the mid 90's It's C-41 process though so getting it developed won't be much of a problem.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

McMadCow posted:

I talked him down from $170 v:shobon:v

Nice. The comment wasn't directly completely at you, but just anyone looking for some cheap gear at pawn shops.

One of the GREATEST inventions of our time is the smart phone. I use mine all the time to research potential gear before buying anything. Don't be afraid of lowballing as well.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

ASSTASTIC posted:

Don't be afraid of lowballing as well.

And don't be afraid of dirt/dust. It's s huge bargaining chip for you. This lens I got had loads of dust inside the elements and it even had a small bit of fungus. It was pretty obviously not etching the glass, though, and once I saw it I knew the price was extremely negotiable even though the asking price was already well below what it would go for on the internet.

Lenses- especially manual focus ones- are assembled and designed by humans. There's no reason you should pass up a good deal just because the lens is dirty. I completely disassembled this one down to the individual elements and cleaned everything and now the glass is spotless.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The Olympus XA2 isn't a rangefinder, right? There's one on Craigslist here for $50.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

atomicthumbs posted:

The Olympus XA2 isn't a rangefinder, right? There's one on Craigslist here for $50.

It is vvvv zone focus shenanigans vvvv. Even so that's kind of a high price for one.

Edit:Ebay has tons of buy it now XA2's for 25-30 bucks.

Cannister fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 1, 2011

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Cannister posted:

It is, but that's kind of a high price for one.

Edit:Ebay has tons of buy it now XA2's for 25-30 bucks.

It's zone focus, not a rangefinder.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Beastruction posted:

It's zone focus, not a rangefinder.

It also has an f/3.5 lens as opposed to an f/2.8 one.

Still, for $30, it beats the pants off of a toy Lomo camera.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Lenses- especially manual focus ones- are assembled and designed by humans. There's no reason you should pass up a good deal just because the lens is dirty. I completely disassembled this one down to the individual elements and cleaned everything and now the glass is spotless.
There a good resource about this I could look at? I'm mildly interested in diy stuff like that.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

East Lake posted:

There a good resource about this I could look at? I'm mildly interested in diy stuff like that.

Being that it's a Leica lens and therefore only serviceable by ZEE GERMANS in a secret lair in The Alps, I've never been able to find service manuals for any of my lenses.
I've taken apart 4 of them, however, for cleaning to the tightening up of a focusing ring. Just go slowly and keep track of all the small pieces. If you see a screw, unscrew it. Figure out what it fastens to and how it relates to the elements you're trying to get to. I've managed to do all my lens repars with a set of jewler's screwdrivers and a spanner wrench. Oh, and a pile of lens wipes- you need to be pretty OCD about cleaning the elements, they're like dust magnets.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
:toot:

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Cannister posted:

Uh oh, I smell an addiction.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

Cannister posted:

I love the 3 rolls of C-41 process in the corner, just trying to hang with the cool kids :D

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

Ferris Bueller posted:

I love the 3 rolls of C-41 process in the corner, just trying to hang with the cool kids :D

5 rolls - Either you missed the Ektar & Portra (man I wish I could find a craigslist deal on those), or the 2 canisters of Kodak Ultramax 400 c41, which I find to be quite a delightful color film despite it coming from CVS.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

Cannister posted:

5 rolls - Either you missed the Ektar & Portra (man I wish I could find a craigslist deal on those), or the 2 canisters of Kodak Ultramax 400 c41, which I find to be quite a delightful color film despite it coming from CVS.

Oops, thought those were some sort of 400 speed black and white.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Anyone know a good place to buy film online for cheap? I know BH and Adorama sell it about the same price, but anywhere else?

I'm probably looking for some Fuji Neopan 100 or 400ISO.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ASSTASTIC posted:

Anyone know a good place to buy film online for cheap? I know BH and Adorama sell it about the same price, but anywhere else?

eBay. It's where I get all my film from (usually China or Korea, sometimes Japan).

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

ASSTASTIC posted:

I'm probably looking for some Fuji Neopan 100 or 400ISO.

They don't seem to carry the rebadged versions of those two films anymore, but freestylephoto.biz is really cheap for most stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

They don't seem to carry the rebadged versions of those two films anymore, but freestylephoto.biz is really cheap for most stuff.

Yeah, they discontinued Legacy Pro (a little part of me died inside).

They actually do still have leftover short-dated LP100 in 100' cans. I have a bulk loader and was thinking it's probably more of a PITA than it's worth (especially considering how little 35mm I shoot these days), but OTOH I love that poo poo and it's the last chance I'll have to pick it up so cheap.

As far as 400, Freestyle does still do Premium 400, which is Tri-X.