Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm fine with ONE fish and a few inverts. Maybe a pistol shrimp and goby pair with a few bumblebee snails, but the guy at LiveAquaria says a Goby needs a 20 to 30 gallon tank!

I plan on doing a water change every week, or 2 weeks at most. Again, this fishtank is on a filing cabinet at work. I'm at work more than home which is why I put it there.

e: :stonk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sri5niI4_BY

You could 100% do a small goby and pistol in a 5gal, I did them in a 3 for almost three years at my last office. You just really have to be on top of the environmental aspects of the space and water parameters. As long as there's some sand/rock for them to hide in they don't really move around enough to justify a huge tank.

Also speaking of goby(ie)s? My yasha ended up jumping out of my 30 leaving his shrimp buddy behind, if I get another goby what are the odds that they'll find eachother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
loving landlord won't let me have an octopus tank

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Dont octopus tanks need to be totally sealed? They can wiggle out of a hole just big enough for their beak.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
a lid with no gaps and a weight on it works, but you have to leave a big gap between the top of the water level and the lid.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

You could 100% do a small goby and pistol in a 5gal, I did them in a 3 for almost three years at my last office. You just really have to be on top of the environmental aspects of the space and water parameters. As long as there's some sand/rock for them to hide in they don't really move around enough to justify a huge tank.

Also speaking of goby(ie)s? My yasha ended up jumping out of my 30 leaving his shrimp buddy behind, if I get another goby what are the odds that they'll find eachother?

In my observation a shrimp goby will eventually find the shrimp. Never had an issue in a 20gal.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In my observation a shrimp goby will eventually find the shrimp. Never had an issue in a 20gal.

Awesome, thanks.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone in here ever use a wet tile saw for fragging? I'm planning to chisel out as much coral as I can from my bryopsis rock, and then cut away the parts that are in rough shape. I know a coral band saw would be best, but I really don't want to drop $350 on one.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

It'll probably work fine, but just expect a lot of trauma in the areas near where the blade passes through.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Can you possibly take the pieces to an LFS with a saw and pay them some cash for a few cuts?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Will your coral and rock even fit under a wet tile saw? Like, is there enough clearance or can the throat open up that far? And do you use saltwater or freshwater as coolant? Wet tile saws rent for about $60/day around me. But yeah, first check with a LFS first to see if they rent/lend/have a fragging band saw.

I know you've been battling bryopsis for a while, done tons of research and made various cure attempts, so don't think I'm dismissing what you know and have tried. I beat bryopsis twice only thanks to the mythical and apparently-now-useless Kent Tech M, there were no other know cures at that time. I don't know what I would have done if I was in your position then and am sorry I can't offer any other success tips in that regard. At some point you do have to weigh the cost and time of eliminating the bryopsis from your existing rock and coral with just getting rid of (or nuking with acid and a 3-month cure) your rock and fragging your coral, hoping it recovers in a bryopsis-free environment.

Oh and welcome to the emergency-tank-club. We had roof/attic/ceiling/floor damage from some storms in July (I emptied 40 gallons of water out of buckets and tubs in that room) and I had less than 3 days to move my entire setup. Bought a stock tank from Fleet Farm and did a reverse filtration system with the sump on an old stand, draining down into the stock tank. Haven't lost anything except some red mushrooms but gently caress that was fun. :emo:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Dude confirmed it's a kenya tree. He's had a kenya tree and 2 tiny clown fish in his 5 gal tank for 1 year and they're fine.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wandering Orange posted:

Will your coral and rock even fit under a wet tile saw? Like, is there enough clearance or can the throat open up that far? And do you use saltwater or freshwater as coolant? Wet tile saws rent for about $60/day around me. But yeah, first check with a LFS first to see if they rent/lend/have a fragging band saw.

Well the plan was to chisel out sections of the rock with coral, and try to get it to no more than 1" or so thick. Then I'd use the saw to trim away basically everything that isn't completely clean. I'm going to ask a local reef group about a band saw, but I'd hate to somehow transfer bryopsis to them. I'm not in a rush though, so I think my first step is going to be just to chisel out the pieces, toss the remaining rock, and then keep up with manual removal of the bryopsis for a while.

quote:

At some point you do have to weigh the cost and time of eliminating the bryopsis from your existing rock and coral with just getting rid of (or nuking with acid and a 3-month cure) your rock and fragging your coral, hoping it recovers in a bryopsis-free environment.

All of my existing rock is going in the trash. I thought about going the acid bath route, but peace of mind is worth tossing less than $80 of rock. I picked up 120 or so pounds of dry rock the other day, and it is soaking in bleach solution right now. After I get it well rinsed of bleach, it's going to cook in a Brute with a mag drive and some salt water for a few months. Anything going in the new tank will get a nice long quarantine. I might even set this 40g emergency tank up more permanently as a frag grow out / QT tank, so I can keep a better eye on things before it goes in DT. This bryopsis has to have come in on the last batch of frags I bought earlier in the summer, even though I gave them a coral dip.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Well the plan was to chisel out sections of the rock with coral, and try to get it to no more than 1" or so thick. Then I'd use the saw to trim away basically everything that isn't completely clean. I'm going to ask a local reef group about a band saw, but I'd hate to somehow transfer bryopsis to them. I'm not in a rush though, so I think my first step is going to be just to chisel out the pieces, toss the remaining rock, and then keep up with manual removal of the bryopsis for a while.

All of my existing rock is going in the trash. I thought about going the acid bath route, but peace of mind is worth tossing less than $80 of rock. I picked up 120 or so pounds of dry rock the other day, and it is soaking in bleach solution right now. After I get it well rinsed of bleach, it's going to cook in a Brute with a mag drive and some salt water for a few months. Anything going in the new tank will get a nice long quarantine. I might even set this 40g emergency tank up more permanently as a frag grow out / QT tank, so I can keep a better eye on things before it goes in DT. This bryopsis has to have come in on the last batch of frags I bought earlier in the summer, even though I gave them a coral dip.

Though a slow answer to bryopsis, I've rid myself of it using Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner and manual removal. Maybe it could help you too. As for your coral, a dremel with a cutting wheel works pretty well. Might be an easier answer than the tile saw.

As for myself, I was fragging my mummy eye chalice this evening with a hammer and a razor blade and managed to hammer the tip of the razor right through the tip of my finger. Hopefully chalices enjoy human blood!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Though a slow answer to bryopsis, I've rid myself of it using Vibrant Liquid Aquarium Cleaner and manual removal. Maybe it could help you too. As for your coral, a dremel with a cutting wheel works pretty well. Might be an easier answer than the tile saw.

As for myself, I was fragging my mummy eye chalice this evening with a hammer and a razor blade and managed to hammer the tip of the razor right through the tip of my finger. Hopefully chalices enjoy human blood!

Blood sacrifices are always a good thing IMO.

I've got a dremel, so getting a diamond blade and trying that first makes the most sense.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

All fun and games until you find the thing from Stranger Things growing in your tank now.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Blood sacrifices are always a good thing IMO.

I've got a dremel, so getting a diamond blade and trying that first makes the most sense.

This is the second reef related "injury" I've sustained since starting. The first was when I didn't want to listen to anyone regarding long spine urchins and promptly jammed my forearm into the fucker. That sucked. He went back to the fish store pretty quick.

Dremel's are a lifesaver in this hobby. Just be sure and wear goggles! Khorne frowns on eyeball blood.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

All fun and games until you find the thing from Stranger Things growing in your tank now.

:laffo: Given the unpredictability of life springing up inside these tanks, this wouldn't even phase me. Besides, there's always something more evil to compete. Say, a peacock mantis?

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 19, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
So this looks really cool: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nuvo-fusion-20-gallon-starter-tank-kit.html?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nuvo20

I'm pretty close to buying it, impulsively of course.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 19, 2016

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

As someone that had both an IM 8 and an IM 30, plan on buying lights as well if you want to keep anything but softies.

Aside from that those tanks are ace.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It comes with two lights.

That is a reasonably priced kit? No way I could try to piece one together for less?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think you could definitely piece something better together for less money.

e: gimme a few and I'll take a stab at a shopping list

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Yeah I mean $600 for that stuff is not really a steal, you're not getting ripped off but you can probably do better.

Also, if you like the Nuvo 20, I would take a look at the Lagoon 25 as well. Its what I've got, really cool dimensions.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I should probably wait and find out if the small 5 gallon tank I have at work doesn't die on me. I'm going to put a small damselfish in it for at least a month and see how I can do with water changes and so forth. Then, if I can pull that off, I'll see about getting a 30 gallon or larger tank for the house.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

I should probably wait and find out if the small 5 gallon tank I have at work doesn't die on me. I'm going to put a small damselfish in it for at least a month and see how I can do with water changes and so forth. Then, if I can pull that off, I'll see about getting a 30 gallon or larger tank for the house.

A small damsel will be miserable in there and will probably end up a fish chip, just get a small shrimp goby with or without the shrimp.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
The damsel is to test the water, as I'm told they are the 'hardiest' of fish. If the damsel can live in my tank, anything can.

Also that Nuevo is part of a bundle, which makes it attractive to a total novice like me. It's also an all in one which I really dig.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 20, 2016

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

The damsel is to test the water, as I'm told they are the 'hardiest' of fish. If the damsel can live in my tank, anything can.

Also that Nuevo is part of a bundle, which makes it attractive to a total novice like me. It's also an all in one which I really dig.

I get where you're coming from, and the Nuvo(s) had the same appeal to me as a starter. 6 months down the road when I wanted to have things other than ricordea, new lights were in order. Knowing what I know now I would not buy the Nuvo, I'd build something to the spec that I'm expecting to grow into. The pumps and whatnot are fine, it's just the lighting that's not up to par (no pun intended) to grow anything interesting.

And being hardy means nothing, it means that anything less 'hardy' will potentially die because they can't stand it as well as a damsel will, if that makes sense. Not trying to bust your chops or anything here, just letting you know what happened to me as I walked down a very similar path.

You'll get what you want, then upgrade, then read more, then downgrade, then have a crash, then upgrade, then quit, then build again. It's a vicious cycle (again, no pun) and we've all done it.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's why every body that wants a reef tank should just get a 180 gallon and call it a day! :)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ice storm kept us in all weekend, so I went to town on what was left of my rock with a hammer and chisels. Managed to extract all the coral with minimal damage, the freaking zoas opened up almost as soon as they were back in the tank. The biggest chunk of rock left is only about the size of my fist, and covered with palys and zoas. Going to wait for the diamond dremel blades and frag plugs to show up before I tackle that one. Kind of a crazy past 10 days as far as the tank goes, but I'm excited to be moving up to a 120 finally.

In reverse order:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I get where you're coming from, and the Nuvo(s) had the same appeal to me as a starter. 6 months down the road when I wanted to have things other than ricordea, new lights were in order. Knowing what I know now I would not buy the Nuvo, I'd build something to the spec that I'm expecting to grow into. The pumps and whatnot are fine, it's just the lighting that's not up to par (no pun intended) to grow anything interesting.

And being hardy means nothing, it means that anything less 'hardy' will potentially die because they can't stand it as well as a damsel will, if that makes sense. Not trying to bust your chops or anything here, just letting you know what happened to me as I walked down a very similar path.

You'll get what you want, then upgrade, then read more, then downgrade, then have a crash, then upgrade, then quit, then build again. It's a vicious cycle (again, no pun) and we've all done it.

Think I should go big and get a 100 gallon tank?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

That's why every body that wants a reef tank should just get a 180 360 gallon and call it a day! :)

Fixed

Enos Cabell posted:

The biggest chunk of rock left is only about the size of my fist, and covered with palys and zoas. Going to wait for the diamond dremel blades and frag plugs to show up before I tackle that one.

I really hope you're wearing a respirator and safety glasses of some variety when doing this. Especially with zoanthids and absolutely required with palythoas. I'm sure you've seen the palytoxin threads.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

When I first started my 75g mixed reef I thought it was bigger than it would ever need to be. Now it's completely full and I wish I had gone bigger.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Every time I think about upgrading, I look at the dinner-plate sized enchino I have and realize nothing less than 4'x4' will last me very long. My local lumber yard can get 5'x10' plywood though and I'm pretty handy... if only I had the room.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Can't be too careful. Some bloke here in the UK was working with a zoa/paly and got squirted in the eye. He said the pain was excruciating and within a week a surgeon had to remove his eye.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

Think I should go big and get a 100 gallon tank?

That's your call!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wandering Orange posted:

I really hope you're wearing a respirator and safety glasses of some variety when doing this. Especially with zoanthids and absolutely required with palythoas. I'm sure you've seen the palytoxin threads.

Yeah I had gloves, glasses and a mask on.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I downsized from a 55+35 sump to a 10 gallon (now with a sump) years ago and love it.

Being able to easily do large regular water changes makes things really easy.

Every time I think about upgrading I change my mind since the 10 is so much fun. I'd probably do a second tank before I upgraded

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I've owed this thread some pictures of my new setup for a while now... 54 Corner bowfront tank (will be upgrading next year to a 180+)

FOWLR setup so far although when I upgrade I'll probably do some corals but they won't be the main focus of the tank.

Predator setup with the following residents (no more until I get a bigger tank):

Humu humu trigger
Porcupine Puffer
Sailfin Tang
Panther Grouper (rescued this guy from the LFS, some family bought it online and brought it in after it ate their clownfish :gibs: )
Some hermit crabs (puffer has mostly left these alone... probably because he's still small so they aren't really snack size yet)

Will be adding a longspine urchin or two and a couple of starfish for a cleanup crew that wont be immediately eaten. (suggestions here?)

Sailfin

Sorry about the potato quality here...

Mmmmm... Krill!

Grouper (with puffer photobomb)

Move along... Nothing to see here...

Will post a FTS when I get home.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Cool. Humu humu is my favorite fish and I demand more pictures.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Been awhile since I've felt any pic of this tank was postable. Leaking current and a Reefkeeper module on the fritz kept the crash recovery going for a lot longer than it was supposed to, but over the course of the last year this tank has turned 180 degrees around.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it acrylic? Any particular reason you don't scrape all that coralline off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Is it acrylic? Any particular reason you don't scrape all that coralline off?

I was gonna say dang that's a lot of coralline.

• Locked thread