Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

the Bunt posted:

I'm probably wrong, but I seem to remember a very short glimpse of this image or one very similar in Gummo. it was not part of the plot or overall film regardless

It looked like it was from a pretty old film - probably from the silent era so I don't think this one seems likely. I think Haxan is the best shout but I can't get a hold of that movie very easily. :( Oh, well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What happened to Billy Zane's career? It seemed like he was on the verge of something in the 90s and then... pfft.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Xenophon posted:

The best remake is Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much, based on Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much

What about Michael Haneke's Funny Games based off of Michael Haneke's Funny Games (With Subtitles)

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

BisonDollah posted:

It looked like it was from a pretty old film - probably from the silent era so I don't think this one seems likely. I think Haxan is the best shout but I can't get a hold of that movie very easily. :( Oh, well!

It's on Archive.org:
http://www.archive.org/details/Haxan_tinted_and_subtitled

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

muscles like this? posted:

What happened to Billy Zane's career? It seemed like he was on the verge of something in the 90s and then... pfft.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

cloudchamber posted:

It's on Archive.org:
http://www.archive.org/details/Haxan_tinted_and_subtitled

This is excellent - thanks muchly.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

muscles like this? posted:

What exactly was on the the verge of, though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY7R0lHSw3U

Oh...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenophon posted:

The best remake is Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much, based on Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much

North by Northwest is a semi-remake of The 39 Steps with bits of Saboteur thrown in, even if not officially. It even has a bit from Clouzot's Diabolique almost word-for-word.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rake Arms posted:

I would think films like I am Legend and 3:10 to Yuma were more successful than their originals.

I don't have the numbers but I'd hope that The Omega Man did better. However, that's not the original either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just watched Valhalla Rising and very much liked it. I looked for a thread in CD but there was only one 1 page one 2 years ago. If anyone has any interesting writeups or discussion of it I would appreciate a link.

I am assuming One-Eyed guy was someone special but I don't really know. Also why were the only women in the movie tied up, naked and miserable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Viking merchants and traders primarily traded and sold women.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So the Christian Crusaders and just killed all the pagan men in the village and enslaved the women. OK. Now it makes sense.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I just watched Valhalla Rising and very much liked it. I looked for a thread in CD but there was only one 1 page one 2 years ago. If anyone has any interesting writeups or discussion of it I would appreciate a link.

I am assuming One-Eyed guy was someone special but I don't really know. Also why were the only women in the movie tied up, naked and miserable.

I like it too.

I think the answer to your question is that the movie was simply not about women. I'm in favor of equality, but it doesn't mean that every story needs positive representation of ever gender/ethnicity/etc.

With how few characters there are and how little dialogue there is, making any of the main characters female would have probably invited reading gender as a character motivation, which I think would actually be worse.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Didn't the thing bomb at the box office?

I didn't know - hence the question mark. I checked Wikipedia and you're right. Says the original raked it in but the remake did poorly at the box office, probably because it went up against loving E.T.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Does A Fistful of Dollars count?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

The Departed

Sorry, I'd take all three Infernal Affairs over "motherfuckin' Boston 'n poo poo" over and over again.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I believe the correct term is mahfahggin'.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Anyone know what would make a fantastic gag gift? I need something that once you see the cover art you think What the Hell is this?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone know what would make a fantastic gag gift? I need something that once you see the cover art you think What the Hell is this?

Go to your local Wal-Mart and look in the $5 DVD bin. I did the same thing one year and got a friend a copy of the critically acclaimed R. Kelly documentary, Trapped In The Closet Part 3.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Egbert Souse posted:

North by Northwest is a semi-remake of The 39 Steps with bits of Saboteur thrown in, even if not officially. It even has a bit from Clouzot's Diabolique almost word-for-word.

Which bit from Diabolique? I haven't watched the two in close enough proximity to notice this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Slasherfan posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubberface-Jim-Carrey/dp/B000K7UBT8

Jim Carrey is barely in it.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

What's that 70s disco song the Guidos and Stellas are singing along to in Detroit Rock City before they get into a fight with the 4 main characters? All I remember of it is the bit with the couple in the front of the car singing something like "Break these chains" and miming pulling their arms apart like they're snapping a chain.

Zogo posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubberface-Jim-Carrey/dp/B000K7UBT8

Jim Carrey is barely in it.

I remember years ago my ex-wife picked up some crappy-looking movie on DVD called "The Swap" from a bargain bin that had De Niro's face and name plastered all over the front of it. I never got around to watching it, but I just looked it up right now to see how much of a role he actually had in it. That backstory is definitely one of the most hilariously shameful "cash-in on a bankable star's name" stories I've ever heard.

Taken from a link I found on Google:

"The Swap was released in 1979, well after Robert De Niro was established as one of the top actors in the world, so how does this qualify as a "Before They Were Stars", you ask? Well, because all the footage featuring Mr. De Niro was originally shot way back in 1969! It seemed to be a popular trend in the late 1970s to uncover never-before-seen footage featuring a big-name star and try to build an entire movie around it (see also Bruce Lee in Game of Death). All the footage featuring De Niro was from one of his very first acting roles in a 1969 film called Sam's Song, which was never completed because the production ran out of money.

After the geniuses at Cannon Films came into possession of the footage, they decided to shoot some brand new scenes and edit them together with the footage from Sam's Song and the result was a terrible movie called The Swap. Of course, it was released into theatres with De Niro's name all over it, even though all the footage of him was ten years old, and he was so pissed off that legal action was nearly taken. De Niro's character is killed off at the beginning of The Swap and as you can see from this clip, the whole structure of the movie involves other people having flashbacks about him, which is where all the old Sam's Song footage is edited in."

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 5, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Encryptic posted:

What's that 70s disco song the Guidos and Stellas are singing along to in Detroit Rock City before they get into a fight with the 4 main characters? All I remember of it is the bit with the couple in the front of the car singing something like "Break these chains" and miming pulling their arms apart like they're snapping a chain.

Was it "Boogie Shoes?"

Encryptic posted:

"The Swap was released in 1979, well after Robert De Niro was established as one of the top actors in the world, so how does this qualify as a "Before They Were Stars", you ask? Well, because all the footage featuring Mr. De Niro was originally shot way back in 1969! It seemed to be a popular trend in the late 1970s to uncover never-before-seen footage featuring a big-name star and try to build an entire movie around it (see also Bruce Lee in Game of Death). All the footage featuring De Niro was from one of his very first acting roles in a 1969 film called Sam's Song, which was never completed because the production ran out of money.

I just checked and it's available on Netflix.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In Time doesn't seem to have a thread (or maybe I just can't see it), so I'll ask this here. Saw the film just a little while ago.

The movie has met with a suit by Harlan Ellison alleging similarities with his story "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Tick-Tock Man." Looking around I don't seem to own any collection with that story in it.

So, anyone who's read that story and seen the movie, is he on to anything or not? He's done some crazy poo poo lately but OTOH this does happen. Can anyone tell me how similar it is?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

In Time doesn't seem to have a thread (or maybe I just can't see it), so I'll ask this here. Saw the film just a little while ago.

The movie has met with a suit by Harlan Ellison alleging similarities with his story "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Tick-Tock Man." Looking around I don't seem to own any collection with that story in it.

So, anyone who's read that story and seen the movie, is he on to anything or not? He's done some crazy poo poo lately but OTOH this does happen. Can anyone tell me how similar it is?

I've read the story and seen In Time and I have to say not at all. The only thing that's slightly similar is the concept of time as an object that can be taken away. "Repent" is mostly about a strictly regimented society which is run by the titular "Tick-Tock" men with the "Harlequin" as a figure that fights against the government by mostly just breaking their schedule. The big concept of In Time, that people are locked into looking like they're 25 and need time to continue living and also as a currency is not in Repent at all.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Maxwell Lord posted:

Harlan Ellison is an angry little goblin who keeps trying to cash in on his Bad Boy Of Sci-Fi persona decades after it expired. Quit giving him attention.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Encryptic posted:

"Makin' It" by David Naughton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F47AfASOnA8

TonTon
May 1, 2008
I just watched Birdemic, and one thing that was excruciating about it was the fact that the sound blanks out and back in between almost every single cut in the movie. This was made especially obvious by the fact that the mic they were using picked up pretty much every single ambient sound in a 50 mile radius.

My question is, considering the budget for Birdemic was probably about 5$, how exactly could an amateur filmmaker avoid picking up noise like that? Is it possible to do with amateur equipment and a low budget at all? I know essentially nothing about making film or recording sound, except that Birdemic did everything wrong.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

TonTon posted:

My question is, considering the budget for Birdemic was probably about 5$, how exactly could an amateur filmmaker avoid picking up noise like that?
Generally by not using the mics built into the camera. These mics are not very powerful and being close to the camera's internals could be picking up distortion.

One common fault is caused by adjusting the volume depending on how close the actor is. So for a close up you would turn the mic down as there's less distance, but for a wide they'd have to turn it up to capture the dialogue more clearly resulting in inconstant volume and drastically varying background noise every shot.
Good sound recording is monitored on set and kept as consistent as possible.

Professional film recording is done with a separate crew, the reason why we have a clapper is to make a visual and audio mark for synching the sound up in post.
Most recordings typically use a shotgun mic, highly directional microphones that are designed to record what it's being pointed at. These are often assisted with covers to block out wind, either the fluffy that deflects it, or a blimp, a large grey cover that creates still air around the mic that's suspended by an elastic support in order to minimize as many vibrations traveling up the boom pole.

All film sound mixes have what's known as an ambient track. These are background things like traffic, wind, aircon, light humming and so forth that provide a constant tone so if someone stops speaking the space doesn't seem dead. Most sound recordists on location shoots will record a good minute of atmos in order to patch into any holes in the mix.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Farbtoner posted:

Harlan Ellison is an angry little goblin who keeps trying to cash in on his Bad Boy Of Sci-Fi persona decades after it expired. Quit giving him attention.

This is 100% true, but that having been said, "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Tick-Tock Man" is also a fantastic story in its own right.

fgwsss
Oct 7, 2004
Masturbation is good, but it is not the best, 'cause nothing beats the touch of your clitoris.
I never really got Mark Wahlberg's character in The Departed. It seems like a dumb question, but I never understood why he was suck a dick. Especially to Billy. Can anyone explain that?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

fgwsss posted:

I never really got Mark Wahlberg's character in The Departed. It seems like a dumb question, but I never understood why he was suck a dick. Especially to Billy. Can anyone explain that?

So he could say the funniest lines? He just was? Some people are dicks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

fgwsss posted:

I just think a large part of it was mistrust. But saying that he's also a dick later in the film for no reason (When Billy tells them they have a mole) and at a time when it probably would've suited him to not be so dickish. Saying that I think part of the ending is him knowing he's hosed up. At least that's how I looked at it.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

WebDog posted:

Generally by not using the mics built into the camera. These mics are not very powerful and being close to the camera's internals could be picking up distortion.

Everything you said is very true, but the truly mind-blowing part about Biredmic is that there are actually three different boom op's credited which means that at least for parts of the movie they were using somewhat proper equipment. There's even a sound editor credited as well, except it happens to be his only credit as a sound editor which just means that the director thought "Oh it's not that hard to put sound effects in" and got some guy who didn't know anything about it to do it.

In addition to the ambient tracks you mentioned though, there are lots of other things sound editors can do including using plug-ins to get rid of some background noise during scenes with dialogue, EQ'ing to make different shots match and/or to get rid of unwanted background sound, using the dialogue from other takes to fix on-camera lines that are less-than-perfect, and of course as a last resort, ADR (which has it's own unique set of ways to make it blend in seamlessly). All of which take a fair bit of practice to be able to do well.

KasioDiscoRock fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 6, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

fgwsss posted:

It seems like a dumb question, but I never understood why he was suck a dick.

This is an awesome sentence.

TonTon
May 1, 2008
Thank you so much for your answers. It makes sense that it's such an involved process, considering some of the environments filming takes place in.

I think I can safely say that the sound editor for Birdemic was a complete moron. Whenever they bring in the awful stock 'gun firing' sound effect, I had to turn the volume on my laptop way, way down, and then I started to miss some of the horrid dialogue. Great job, guys!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah the sound mix being really bad on Birdemic makes it all the more irritating, because if you turn it down for even a second, you'll miss the dialog, which you can barely hear. If you leave it up, you'll have a headache in no time from the incessant cawing and shrieking.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Wild T posted:

Go to your local Wal-Mart and look in the $5 DVD bin. I did the same thing one year and got a friend a copy of the critically acclaimed R. Kelly documentary, Trapped In The Closet Part 3.

You can find some really crazy shiit in that bin. I found an 8 pack of lovely, lovely horrors movies in one. The highlight was evil bong, about a bong that steals souls. There was also a mediocre submarine movie, but it has Zach Galifinakus, and we were drunk so wewatched it to the end. Watching the credits, we realized it was written by Darren Arronofsky. :psyduck:

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

KillRoy posted:

There was also a mediocre submarine movie, but it has Zach Galifinakus, and we were drunk so wewatched it to the end. Watching the credits, we realized it was written by Darren Arronofsky. :psyduck:

Below? I thought that was pretty good when I watched it a few years ago - sort of if Das Boot had been filmed as a psychological horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

KillRoy posted:

You can find some really crazy shiit in that bin. I found an 8 pack of lovely, lovely horrors movies in one. The highlight was evil bong, about a bong that steals souls. There was also a mediocre submarine movie, but it has Zach Galifinakus, and we were drunk so wewatched it to the end. Watching the credits, we realized it was written by Darren Arronofsky. :psyduck:

I am pretty sure that 8 pack also has some Omega Man clone starring the chairman from Iron Chief!