Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

kuskus posted:

I popped an M4 128GB into my iMac in Oct '11 as the OS / Apps drive. Never enabled TRIM, and I could never update the firmware on account of no optical and failure to boot from Corsair's ISO's over USB via rEFIt, or any other method (FW, internal partition, nothing works). I use it every day and have had no problems.

How hosed am I?

You will be missing out on extra performance released in the newer firmwares and bug fixes with corruption.

Why not enable TRIM? You can use the new version of TRIM Enabler or run this in terminal:
code:
# 1. Backup the file we’re patching
sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage \
/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage.original.200
# 2. Patch the file to enable TRIM support
sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x51)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' \
/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage
# 3. Clear the system kernel extension cache
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^

echobucket posted:

How is the UI on this? I don't want to be dinking with it constantly, I basically want to configure it and it just work. That's why I was leaning towards the Apple ones.

I have an airport extreme. Best consumer router I've used thus far. Routers are notoriously finicky, but I've never had an issue with the airport.

Pros:
Set it and forget it. If you have any problems, the light will blink and you can check the airport utility which will tell you what's wrong.
Good connectivity and range.
USB port. I have a printer and a hard drive connected thru a hub.

Cons:
Can get a little hot. Don't recommend putting anything on top of it.
No web interface. The utility program (mac, pc, ios) works well though.
Expensive.

If you have the money, I'd say go ahead and get it. You won't be disappointed.

I don't have an airport express so I can't comment on it.

If you still have range issues, you can always use the buffalo as a wireless bridge.

PlayStationGayStation fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 1, 2012

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I have 2 Extremes and 2 Express'

As the above comments on the Extreme. They're great.

My experience both as a consumer and as an Apple Technician: Express' are finicky. They have a habit of dying very suddenly, and without warning. Mainly due to power supplies failing (why does that sound familiar...)

I like them for what they are, a fairly inexpensive, portable router & the AirTunes / Airplay voodoo, they're just not known for their stellar reliability.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Note that you can save $30 on the Extreme by buying refurbished: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD031LL/A

(or the Express for that matter, and $10 more off on the older Extreme)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

japtor posted:

There's ATA-SATA drive caddies but I don't know if or how well they work or whether they're compatible with all SATA drives or what though.
I found a WD 320Gb 2,5" drive for around $60 and a ATA-SATA adapter for $20. Seems reasonable enough, but I guess I should find out if that whole setup works with this particular MBP. In terms of price that's pretty great though.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

PlayStationGayStation posted:

If you still have range issues, you can always use the buffalo as a wireless bridge.

The buffalo is only a G router, so I'm not sure that'll help me out much. I'll probably just turn the Wireless off on it and use it as my main internet gateway (so I can use all it's QoS and VPN stuff)

One last question about the Extremes, can I just plug one of the LAN ports from it into my existing router's LAN port, turn off DHCP on the express and have it be a 802.11n Bridged WAP? (i.e. wireless clients will still DHCP off the existing buffalo?)

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012
Has anyone had the lines on the screen of a Macbook Pro? The laptops where the video chip is made my nvidia yet all the nvidia chips are messed up and is basically a time bomb? I've had this happen twice now.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

CaptainMidnight posted:

Has anyone had the lines on the screen of a Macbook Pro? The laptops where the video chip is made my nvidia yet all the nvidia chips are messed up and is basically a time bomb? I've had this happen twice now.

Take it to an Apple store, explain the issue. Have them run the nvidia diagnostic. (should be on a specially formatted iPod classic) and that will confirm/deny the GPU.

You'd want to get a move on tho, those machines are fast becoming vintage, and once they are, you're on your own.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Yeast posted:

(should be on a specially formatted iPod classic)

Hahahaha what store is doing this? None that I know of do that, just use an external hard drive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

1997 posted:

Hahahaha what store is doing this? None that I know of do that, just use an external hard drive.

Which are a drat sight cheaper than using iPod classics.

I tried to use an iPod ClickWheel as a startup drive for Macs for a while but it would just get hellishly hot and make me go through three 1.8" Toshiba drives. Much cheaper/faster to just use a standard 2.5/3.5" drive and a Firewire/USB enclosure.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

1997 posted:

All 14 stores in Australia :confused: it's SOP here.

And it's probably not cheaper when you're the company that makes the iPod, and you have to purchase drives from Lacie, WD etc.

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012

Yeast posted:

Take it to an Apple store, explain the issue. Have them run the nvidia diagnostic. (should be on a specially formatted iPod classic) and that will confirm/deny the GPU.

You'd want to get a move on tho, those machines are fast becoming vintage, and once they are, you're on your own.

I did that the first time. Hilarious the way the technician said "Oh, I love it when chips fail". So I received probably a refurbished motherboard. Now this one I'm pretty sure is going.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

CaptainMidnight posted:

I did that the first time. Hilarious the way the technician said "Oh, I love it when chips fail". So I received probably a refurbished motherboard. Now this one I'm pretty sure is going.

Well, we do like it. If the test fails we get a diagnostic receipt code, and it means we can give you a new (reconditioned) board. All troubleshooting can stop there.

The boards aren't made new anymore, so we don't have a choice re: refurbs.

:eng101: 90% of the boards we put back in Macs are refurbed anyway. Most of the time it's not an issue. They typically are DOA or work fine.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

CaptainMidnight posted:

For a machine that age, the boards are pretty much guaranteed to be re-certified and not new.

And the iPod thing definitely isn't standard for the US.

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012

1997 posted:

For a machine that age, the boards are pretty much guaranteed to be re-certified and not new.

And the iPod thing definitely isn't standard for the US.

That was my take on the motherboard as well. I just always found that stupid that all the nvidia chips for this model Macbook Pro are bad why didn't Macintosh give a motherboard with a Radeon video chip? Apple won the class action lawsuit against Nvidia and they could afford that as they are the richest company. I can't really complain as I did get a Motherboard for free.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Have you guys seen any Mini 2011 kits for a 2nd hard drive cheaper than this OWC set? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CaptainMidnight posted:

That was my take on the motherboard as well. I just always found that stupid that all the nvidia chips for this model Macbook Pro are bad why didn't Macintosh give a motherboard with a Radeon video chip? Apple won the class action lawsuit against Nvidia and they could afford that as they are the richest company. I can't really complain as I did get a Motherboard for free.

1. Did they have a portable chip Apple could use?
2. Was that after Jobs got pissed at ATI?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

pipebomb posted:

Have you guys seen any Mini 2011 kits for a 2nd hard drive cheaper than this OWC set? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

The cable itself I havent found cheaper than $30. That can be found at http://www.impactcomputers.com/076-1391.html. That one is $23 + $8 shipped.

The only things you truly need are the T6, T8, hex drivers and the cable itself. The screw and garments are only if you want to actual mount it to the bay that's included, and I just used two pieces of double sided tape. With both hard drives in there, they basically lock each other in the case pretty snug, and if your mini isn't going anywhere, you're not going to have to worry about serious mounting.

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

1. Did they have a portable chip Apple could use?
2. Was that after Jobs got pissed at ATI?

It was a few months before Jobs died.
I still received a motherboard with an Nvidia chip.

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^

echobucket posted:

The buffalo is only a G router, so I'm not sure that'll help me out much. I'll probably just turn the Wireless off on it and use it as my main internet gateway (so I can use all it's QoS and VPN stuff)

One last question about the Extremes, can I just plug one of the LAN ports from it into my existing router's LAN port, turn off DHCP on the express and have it be a 802.11n Bridged WAP? (i.e. wireless clients will still DHCP off the existing buffalo?)

Yeah. Just turn off DHCP and NAT and it will work in bridged mode.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

FlashBangBob posted:

The cable itself I havent found cheaper than $30. That can be found at http://www.impactcomputers.com/076-1391.html. That one is $23 + $8 shipped.

The only things you truly need are the T6, T8, hex drivers and the cable itself. The screw and garments are only if you want to actual mount it to the bay that's included, and I just used two pieces of double sided tape. With both hard drives in there, they basically lock each other in the case pretty snug, and if your mini isn't going anywhere, you're not going to have to worry about serious mounting.

Cool, thanks much.

CaptainMidnight
May 1, 2012
What Mac OS would you say is the best? I like Tiger 10.5.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CaptainMidnight posted:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Tiger is 10.4. Leopard is 10.5. The software megathread is here..

Also, lurk some more. That post is just dripping with newbieness.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 2, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CaptainMidnight posted:

You may not realize this, but we have a whole forum dedicated to figuring out which operating system is best.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=219

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The more time passes, the more I believe the Mac Buyer's Guide saying new iMacs are expected in June. I had my hopes up for sooner, but ah well. I can save up my money a bit more this way.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

triplexpac posted:

The more time passes, the more I believe the Mac Buyer's Guide saying new iMacs are expected in June. I had my hopes up for sooner, but ah well. I can save up my money a bit more this way.

At this point they probably will just unveil at WWDC :( The new processors are already out and available so there has to be a reason for delaying-- probably waiting for ML to go gold.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Shmoogy posted:

At this point they probably will just unveil at WWDC :( The new processors are already out and available so there has to be a reason for delaying-- probably waiting for ML to go gold.

I hope they release the new macbooks before that, I've been saving up and don't want to wait that long! Waiting for the new os version would make sense though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Vidmaster posted:

I hope they release the new macbooks before that, I've been saving up and don't want to wait that long! Waiting for the new os version would make sense though.

We were all hoping they'd have come out by now, but with every passing day it gets much more likely that they're waiting for the WWDC-- which may or may not be good news as we haven't been hearing any news about retina displays.

We're now slightly over 1 month away from the WWDC and there haven't been any rumors with any substance in a while, so... :(.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So I've got an old Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2009. Feeling it's been getting a bit slow but it's still a great little machine for browsing the internet, reading mail and Photoshop in small doses.

But will it help just to improve the RAM or should I get an SSD in it too? Put an Intel 320 120gb in my big rig and it's just so goddamn fast. So I'm temped but what do you guys think? Is it worth the SSD or should I just go for RAM?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

How much RAM do you have now? I have the same machine with 8 gigs and a spinny drive and it's loading stuff pretty slow, just there is less swapping.

Having an SSD would speed up everything considerably.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Simple Simon posted:

So I've got an old Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2009. Feeling it's been getting a bit slow but it's still a great little machine for browsing the internet, reading mail and Photoshop in small doses.

But will it help just to improve the RAM or should I get an SSD in it too? Put an Intel 320 120gb in my big rig and it's just so goddamn fast. So I'm temped but what do you guys think? Is it worth the SSD or should I just go for RAM?

SSD is going to help more than the RAM but 8GB is only like $40 so why not both

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"

Sprat Sandwich posted:

How much RAM do you have now? I have the same machine with 8 gigs and a spinny drive and it's loading stuff pretty slow, just there is less swapping.

Having an SSD would speed up everything considerably.

2gb. The base model.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Vidmaster posted:

And what sense would that make exactly? I've also never seen them do it before. They definitely didn't do it with Lion.

I'd say there's something in the bush, either retina or similar. If they wanted to have kept the same hardware designs with just a few minor additions, the new ones would be out now.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Simple Simon posted:

2gb. The base model.

Definitely more RAM. An SSD+RAM would make that machine scream

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

jink posted:

Why not enable TRIM?
Worked like a charm, thank you.

I bought a $6 MDP cable and now when I need extra real estate on the Air, the iMac lends its brilliant panel without fuss. 2.5 years into owning this, I cannot see replacing it any time soon.
*Unless I become wooed by NVIDIA OptiX on CS6.

Has anyone tried the OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express SSD in their Air?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flavor posted:

And what sense would that make exactly? I've also never seen them do it before. They definitely didn't do it with Lion.

I'd say there's something in the bush, either retina or similar. If they wanted to have kept the same hardware designs with just a few minor additions, the new ones would be out now.

Look at this guy, he thinks Apple would so something because it makes sense.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
They released new Pros and iMacs prior to the Lion launch last year. As the launch date approached they did the "buy a Mac and get lion for free when it comes out!" promotion.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

They released new Pros and iMacs prior to the Lion launch last year. As the launch date approached they did the "buy a Mac and get lion for free when it comes out!" promotion.

And it was probably a pain in the rear end and caused a lot of extra applecare/genius time to take care of everybody who called and complained/asked to be upgraded.

Either Tim wants to present ML with new things, or they have something big planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Shmoogy posted:

And it was probably a pain in the rear end and caused a lot of extra applecare/genius time to take care of everybody who called and complained/asked to be upgraded.

Either Tim wants to present ML with new things, or they have something big planned.

Iirc, you just entered in your serial online and got a code to download it from the App Store.