Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've never borscht'd. To be honest, despite being a beet fan, I can't say I've ever found the description of it to sound appetizing, though everyone's borschtlovefest makes me kinda want to try it, and I have some gorgeous beets that are ready to harvest in the backyard. Can someone recommend me a recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I've never followed a recipe, to my great shame. I always just sort of chucked stuff into it.

I like mine with extra beets. I usually get 3-4 beets, a large onion, a carrot, a couple of potatoes, small bit of garlic, and half a cabbage, sometimes some fatty meat, and work from there. I sometimes add dill in when I'm cooking the onions and other stuff. Top with smetana and fresh dill. I'm not actually Russian though, so I'm probably making some horrid bastardisation of the dish.

I've seen a few recipes call for salo, which is like a block of rendered pork fat, but I've never tried it, and it only calls for a really tiny amount because it's so rich.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Grushenka posted:

I've never followed a recipe, to my great shame. I always just sort of chucked stuff into it.

I like mine with extra beets. I usually get 3-4 beets, a large onion, a carrot, a couple of potatoes, small bit of garlic, and half a cabbage, sometimes some fatty meat, and work from there. I sometimes add dill in when I'm cooking the onions and other stuff. Top with smetana and fresh dill. I'm not actually Russian though, so I'm probably making some horrid bastardisation of the dish.

I've seen a few recipes call for salo, which is like a block of rendered pork fat, but I've never tried it, and it only calls for a really tiny amount because it's so rich.

There is no shame in not following a recipe for a stew. Your guidelines look pretty good, though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There is no shame in not following a recipe for a stew. Your guidelines look pretty good, though.
Yeah, and as that article made plain, there is no such thing as a definitive borscht recipe anyway.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I ran a special cold borscht during the summer. Thin slice 2-3 large beets, dice one onion and one carrot. simmer for 1 hour in 2 quarts of water with a splash of apple cider vin. Strain, remove thin sliced beets and brunoise, season beet broth with salt, sugar, and white pepper. Chill.

I had some thin sliced duck breast arranged around a bed of green cabbage in the bottom of a bowl, poured cold borscht on top, garnished with brunoise beet.

Sold all 15 orders the first day(duck was surplus from a banquet).

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
My friend's grandma would use sauerkraut liquid in her borscht. Mind, she used some tomato in there too, but she'd pour in some of the liquid from the sauerkraut jar to finish it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sjurygg posted:

Put it outside in the fresh air for a couple of days. Mind the cats and crows.
Yeah. But you could say the same thing about kimchee, say, but there are all kinds of competing opinions about the exact rituals surrounding it---salting the greens, the composition of the paste, whether or not you ferment seafood along with the veg, and so on.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Appl is currently at Aviary, and I am getting intermittent updates:

quote:

"I just drank a carbonated negroni combined with a white lady however I wanted then I slingshotted the manhattan egg"

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Appl is currently at Aviary, and I am getting intermittent updates:

quote:

okay. now we have a bunsen burner and a chai globe

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
A carbonated negroni sounds like a very good idea.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I had that chai thing, it was really good. but the bunson burner suction thing failed twice so they kept on bringing back new batches of alcohol, while we were like 'no it's fine we'll just drink that one too noooo don't take it away :('

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

quote:

got offered seats at next, passed up due to not being done drinking all the cocktails and also not being able to handle 12 courses at this point

quote:

we hit 250 bux, taking a bill and switching to paying for ourselves

quote:

well my dining companion is loving drunk / losing it so it might get interesting

quote:

couple just sat down next to us, we said hi, they said oh thanks for visiting from Canada ?!?!?!??!

quote:

New neighbor IMO CIA, not going well acceptance wise for the Canadian information security faction

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
All this borscht chat reminded me that I have two large beetroots in the pantry at home and no idea what to do with them.

Can anyone suggest something other than soup or roasting(it's summer here at the moment)? I'll use part of one on some salad tonight but there'll still be a lot of beet left over.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

cyberia posted:

All this borscht chat reminded me that I have two large beetroots in the pantry at home and no idea what to do with them.

Can anyone suggest something other than soup or roasting(it's summer here at the moment)? I'll use part of one on some salad tonight but there'll still be a lot of beet left over.
Not very summery but the Riverford beetroot gratin is sensational.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Grushenka posted:

I can safely say that any good pork fat, even rendered, will work as well as salo for this stuff. Raw salo is something else, up there with good Italian lardo. gently caress it's good.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

Sjurygg posted:

I can safely say that any good pork fat, even rendered, will work as well as salo for this stuff. Raw salo is something else, up there with good Italian lardo. gently caress it's good.

I've eaten both salo and lardo, I think both are absolutely delicious (especially the lardo). :) I've just never added salo to borsch. Plus the stuff I can find around here usually has some spice coating on it, which might throw off the borsch flavour.

Beet gratin sounds pretty good, actually, though I've never made a gratin in my life.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
How do I carbonate fruit?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Happy Hat posted:

I've never done it, but one of my friends constantly steals dry ice from the lab to do it. He just seals chunks of fruit in a mason jar with a few shards of dry ice for a couple of days.

There may be a much less unsafe way of doing it...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Scientastic posted:

I've never done it, but one of my friends constantly steals dry ice from the lab to do it. He just seals chunks of fruit in a mason jar with a few shards of dry ice for a couple of days.

There may be a much less unsafe way of doing it...
You can do it in one of those styrofoam coolers, if you seal it. You can read about it all over the Internet; I'm sure you put a tiny vent hole in or something.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grushenka posted:

I've eaten both salo and lardo, I think both are absolutely delicious (especially the lardo). :) I've just never added salo to borsch. Plus the stuff I can find around here usually has some spice coating on it, which might throw off the borsch flavour.

Beet gratin sounds pretty good, actually, though I've never made a gratin in my life.
Pretty easy (esp if you use a food processor for the slicing), and absolutely delicious. I use rosemary, and cook it covered for quite a bit longer than they say so the beets get meltingly soft. I sometimes also par-cook them in the microwave for ten mins after slicing.
http://www.riverford.co.uk/feed/in:recipes/beetroot-gratin/

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

Happy Hat posted:

Slice your fruit, put it in a cream whipper, charge with a soda charger. Leave in the refrigerator overnight. I just did some carbonated apples, and they turned out wonderful.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

cyberia posted:

Make beet curry!

Or quick pickle: peel and cut into reasonable chunks, boil until tender. Dump into pickling made of equal parts water, vinegar, and sugar, refrigerate.

edit: sugar, not salt. durrrrrrrrrr

Semisponge fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 8, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Featured Creature posted:

Slice your fruit, put it in a cream whipper, charge with a soda charger. Leave in the refrigerator overnight. I just did some carbonated apples, and they turned out wonderful.

Just put the fruit in a balloon and inflate the balloon with CO2 from a charger.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

Nobu is still great but suffers from lovely customers. I'd recommend a couple of other places instead. First possibility is Sen of Japan - the chef there is the guy who opened Nobu Las Vegas. He fixes some of the same dishes (including black miso cod), gets the same racingly fresh seafood, and the price is about half of Nobu's. The other possibility is RAKU which I'm pretty sure I've talked up in here before. Really, truly fantastic Japanese food, concentrated on (but not exclusively) grilled items. The standard of service and quality of food is unimpeachable and, again, it's off-Strip so the price is significantly lower.

As far as other places:
- It's the second weekend of the month, which I think means it'll be time for another Saturday Night Truck Stop brawl. I went on an off week and it was kind of a bust, but the competition weeks are apparently quite good. It doesn't get very busy until around midnight, but if you're up late Saturday night it can be a decent place to drop in.
- If you want ramen, do Monta. It's two doors down from RAKU and well worth the inevitable wait. Get the pot stickers too, they're made fresh to order and easily the best in town.
- Do something in the Cosmopolitan. All of the third-floor restaurants are good, so it's really a matter of what you're in the mood for.
- I don't know if you get really good tacos at home, but Tacos El Gordo (the original Charleston location) is fantastic. They have Strip and Downtown locations that might be okay, I don't know. I make the extra drive to Charleston.

Wiggles is right about both Lotus and Bouchon. At Lotus get the nam kao tod, tom kha kai, and whatever else strikes your fancy. Bouchon's quiche is nearly three inches thick and light as a feather, their french toast is more like a tower of delicious bread pudding, and everything else on their menu is great.

I can probably think up some other recs too if you have specific things you want to eat. Throw me a PM if you need a dining partner.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm here for a conference, so my dance card is completely booked. Had Italian last night, it was ok (not my pic). Nobu is tonight. None of these folks are interested in Lotus, which really sucks. On the plus side, my liver has gone on strike yet I haven't paid for a drink yet.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-fried-butter-balls-recipe/index.html

:patriot: :negative:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Best comment on the recipe:

I JUST BUTTERGASM'D, Y'ALL!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

Best comment on the recipe:

I JUST BUTTERGASM'D, Y'ALL!
Jesus Christ. The mind boggles. Someone thought this was good enough to make, and then publish? I feel sick just reading the recipe.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

therattle posted:

Jesus Christ. The mind boggles. Someone thought this was good enough to make, and then publish? I feel sick just reading the recipe.

I'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth yanked tomorrow. I think I'll follow the recipe aside from frying them. I'll just suck down the cream cheese and butter mixture for the next week. I gotta keep this flabbish figure somehow without much by way of solid foods, y'all!

Might be a better question for the recipe thread, but anyone have any dishes that are palatable with a jacked up mouth that won't suck too badly to ingest? I have no experience with this poo poo.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth yanked tomorrow. I think I'll follow the recipe aside from frying them. I'll just suck down the cream cheese and butter mixture for the next week. I gotta keep this flabbish figure somehow without much by way of solid foods, y'all!

Might be a better question for the recipe thread, but anyone have any dishes that are palatable with a jacked up mouth that won't suck too badly to ingest? I have no experience with this poo poo.

congee.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eat This Glob posted:

Ouch. Good luck. Actually, I had all four of mine done and it wasn't that bad. They weren't impacted. I was eating that night.

However, you might want to check out the oatmeal thread, and make soup.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Seconding soup, I had all mine done at once and it was terrible for about a day. Fooding returned to a careful normal pretty quick though.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

I had to have my wisdom teeth jackhammered out of my jaw, and I lived on loaded baked potato soup. I chopped up everything small enough to where I would not need to chew it, and just ate that for several days.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Chef Boyardee.

I had a super painful complicated case with ER trips and IV fluids. Even then I didn't have any trouble getting food into my face when I wanted to. The first day you probably won't be up for much more than jello and chicken broth anyway.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Blended roasted red pepper soup kept me going. Congee may not be the best choice unless you are 100% sure you have blended the absolute everloving poo poo out of it and there's not even one tiny rice grain. You don't want anything with small particles in it. Oatmeal would be a bad idea.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Glob: I just ate pudding and yogurt for a week.

" i liked it although my family doesn't like it i ate it alone and it was delicious "

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Also don't use straws.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I worked at an ice cream place when I got mine pulled, and the day after I went down there and put my face underneath the soft serve machine and just pulled down the lever

My boss was cool as heck

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I just took a double dose of my pain pills every time and slept through the first few days in a stupor. Then switched to smoothies and tea made with weed milk. It was a pretty boss week or so.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I had all four done under GA and I ate lukewarm chicken broth for three days.

I was a massive wuss back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i ate kfc mashed potatoes day of and a cheeseburger the day after. cheeseburger took me like 40 minutes to eat though because i was chewing with my front teeth