Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Squinty Applebottom posted:

git it totally unintuitive and its ridiculous the lengths people go to convince you "oh you just don't *get* the brilliance of it" butfea its actually quite poo poo for actual human beings, much like linus's other creation.

git's killer feature is that it's the only way to get code onto github

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
git is the best

source control IDE integration is the worst

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

git's killer feature is that it's the only way to get code onto github

github is the only reason git won

git cli sucks dick and u need to know the deep internals to understand what the gently caress goes on

still better than tfvc

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
they should have a source control system that is basically SVN, but good

check in, check out, branch that actually branches, merge that works, a rename that tracks history. boom.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i just had to initialize a VM and install git and set up a blank repo and manage accounts for ppl to use it. it took me like half a day and it works but i can still safely say that i dont know what the gently caress

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

born on a buy you posted:

jira is as good as the effort you put into configuring it. if you have customized workflows/ticket types/etc for your process, ti's wonderful. if you use all the stock tools without any amount of thought to, "what do we actually need?" it's poo poo.

the lotus notes defence

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Socracheese posted:

i just had to initialize a VM and install git and set up a blank repo and manage accounts for ppl to use it. it took me like half a day and it works but i can still safely say that i dont know what the gently caress

This is why people buy Stash and Github Emterprise

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

github is the only reason git won

git cli sucks dick and u need to know the deep internals to understand what the gently caress goes on

still better than tfvc

commits are just monomorphisms in the category of commit DAGs, whats the problem

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

some people made a vcs with a sound theoretic basis. last i checked merges didn't take exponential time very often at all, which was a great improvement

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

some people made a vcs with a sound theoretic basis. last i checked merges didn't take exponential time very often at all, which was a great improvement

darcs. it worked very well indeed. and a normal human being could use it w/out blowing his foot off. the exponential merge thing, while hypothetically possible, turned out to be a bug in most practical examples.

unfortunately it was very non-portable and kinda pokey using the ghc of its era

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

~Coxy posted:

they should have a source control system that is basically SVN, but good

check in, check out, branch that actually branches, merge that works, a rename that tracks history. boom.

it's called svn

fortunately pressure from git has kept svn from just being "cvs in a database" and things like renames aren't actually things anymore. unlike git cli which will only ever get worse

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

chmods please posted:

haha yeah let's just not branch and merge

at work we use gerrit for code review which (a) will categorically reject merge commits and (b) needs a tool called 'repo' (great name y'all) to do the branch management, so i haven't done a 'git branch' or 'git merge' in months

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

reviews are also one commit at a time so I'm doing lots and lots of 'git commit --amend'

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fritz posted:

at work we use gerrit for code review which (a) will categorically reject merge commits and (b) needs a tool called 'repo' (great name y'all) to do the branch management, so i haven't done a 'git branch' or 'git merge' in months

why

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

fritz posted:

reviews are also one commit at a time so I'm doing lots and lots of 'git commit --amend'

just use stash and then commit when you're really done

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
stash the atlassian tool is really great

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
pl thread is doing windows chat, which made me think: one of the things im gonna be working on at newjob is a windows application that does some video capture and encoding using dedicated hardware (among other things). question is, does it sound like im gonna have to care + learn about windows internals? or will i likely be able to get away with just reading up on XAML and "windows app" development

(yeah i know its a hella vague question)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

stash the atlassian tool is really great

yeah we use it. it's good.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

darcs. it worked very well indeed. and a normal human being could use it w/out blowing his foot off. the exponential merge thing, while hypothetically possible, turned out to be a bug in most practical examples.

unfortunately it was very non-portable and kinda pokey using the ghc of its era

when i tried to clone the darcs repo it took all day and didn't finish, if that wasn't due to an exponential merge then wtf

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Brain Candy posted:

it's called svn

fortunately pressure from git has kept svn from just being "cvs in a database" and things like renames aren't actually things anymore. unlike git cli which will only ever get worse

I gotta admit I have not created a brand new SVN server in a while but is merging renamed files really fixed?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

when i tried to clone the darcs repo it took all day and didn't finish, if that wasn't due to an exponential merge then wtf

darcs' patch tehory is super cool but even they caved and went to using git style hashes.

darcs has a p sweet cli ui though

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I gotta admit I have not created a brand new SVN server in a while but is merging renamed files really fixed?

http://blogs.wandisco.com/2013/07/10/better-move-tracking-in-subversion-1-8/

recentish sure, but forever ago in computer terms

i use svn & git at jorb. after updates, things are usually a little better for one of those. the other barfs SIGPIPE

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
in Java does there exist a for-each loop which also gives the index? specifying bounds (or updating the index myself) is for chumps

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

nope. there is a magic listIterator though :downs:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

AlsoD posted:

in Java does there exist a for-each loop which also gives the index? specifying bounds (or updating the index myself) is for chumps

perhaps you would prefer javascript. Array.prototype.map supplies the index as the 2nd argument to f :mrgw:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

perhaps you would prefer javascript. Array.prototype.map supplies the index as the 2nd argument to f :mrgw:

lots of languages have this construct. it came up in the thread a few months ago and i remember built-in functions in lisp, haskell, f#, ruby, python and js

a few other langs (java8, c#) could cobble something together using zip iirc

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
wait js's map is the one that gives the iterator silently so multi-arity functions silently give weird results right?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

why gerrit? i think it was just what the people here on day 1 were familiar with

it's 'ok' as a code review thing, we got jenkins listening to it and doing builds, but couldn't figure out how to get jenkins to post reports back into it, i wish it was better integrated into our (subpar) bug tracker, and it has a few warts, but it's better than nothing

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fritz posted:

why gerrit? i think it was just what the people here on day 1 were familiar with

it's 'ok' as a code review thing, we got jenkins listening to it and doing builds, but couldn't figure out how to get jenkins to post reports back into it, i wish it was better integrated into our (subpar) bug tracker, and it has a few warts, but it's better than nothing

am i especially terrible for using https for git instead of ssh with the certificates and keys and all that jazz?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

coffeetable posted:

pl thread is doing windows chat, which made me think: one of the things im gonna be working on at newjob is a windows application that does some video capture and encoding using dedicated hardware (among other things). question is, does it sound like im gonna have to care + learn about windows internals? or will i likely be able to get away with just reading up on XAML and "windows app" development

if you're lucky its wpf/xaml so its litterrally the best ui development platform in the world. if not then its probably old rear end windows forms crap or maybe even some custom in house thing. (or even vb6 lol)

but no matter what if you're doing video hardware stuff you're gonna probably need to know atleast a little bit about how that stuff works cause its mostly accessed the same way regardless of which windows app platform ur coming from. unless they hired you because you claimed you had that knowledge I wouldn't worry too much about learning it until you get their cause its some arcane poo poo.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

probably an unfixed version.

i would suggest patching and trying again, except git already won so now it doesn't matter that superior things lost.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

prefect posted:

am i especially terrible for using https for git instead of ssh with the certificates and keys and all that jazz?

no but isn't it a pita typing your password every time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

git is incredibly slow over http. like 1% of the speed of ssh.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

no but isn't it a pita typing your password every time

credential.helper=winstore

problem solved

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

prefect posted:

credential.helper=wincred

problem solved

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

actually use osxkeychain

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

coffeetable posted:

define "dedicated hardware"

if it shows up as a video device, you use directshow or media foundation. you'll get to learn the fun quirks of COM but overall not terrible

if it doesn't, or your job is to make it appear as a video device, you'll definitely need to learn stuff

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

actually use osxkeychain

this but with icloud keychain

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Shaggar posted:

if you're lucky its wpf/xaml so its litterrally the best ui development platform in the world. if not then its probably old rear end windows forms crap or maybe even some custom in house thing. (or even vb6 lol)

but no matter what if you're doing video hardware stuff you're gonna probably need to know atleast a little bit about how that stuff works cause its mostly accessed the same way regardless of which windows app platform ur coming from. unless they hired you because you claimed you had that knowledge I wouldn't worry too much about learning it until you get their cause its some arcane poo poo.

chmods please posted:

define "dedicated hardware"

if it shows up as a video device, you use directshow or media foundation. you'll get to learn the fun quirks of COM but overall not terrible

if it doesn't, or your job is to make it appear as a video device, you'll definitely need to learn stuff
im not starting till next month and the people there are reluctant to tell me much until ive signed an nda. what im doing right now is building a general reading list for myself so i'll at least have some context for the problem, and now that i know it exists, media foundation seems like exactly the kind of thing i should be looking at. thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

coffeetable posted:

im not starting till next month and the people there are reluctant to tell me much until ive signed an nda. what im doing right now is building a general reading list for myself so i'll at least have some context for the problem, and now that i know it exists, media foundation seems like exactly the kind of thing i should be looking at. thanks :)

welcome to COM

• Locked thread