Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

BGrifter posted:

I vaguely recall someone interviewing Tim asking about it and they're convinced the storage is unnecessary cause you'll stream all your music from Apple Music, your movies from iTunes/Netflix/whatever, and mumblemumblemumble about app sizes.

For as many kiosk iPads that are around and about, I could understand why the 16GB continues to exist. A square register can't possibly use more than 1GB ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm like 99% sure Photos arranges by timestamp. It should be fairly easy to change, I would think.

Really, though, surely there's a better way to read books than viewing scans in the stock Photos app.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Endless Mike posted:

I'm like 99% sure Photos arranges by timestamp. It should be fairly easy to change, I would think.

Really, though, surely there's a better way to read books than viewing scans in the stock Photos app.

I went into the Windows folder where I keep these scans and I ticked off every box that was Sort By: **** Date, and then had the folder sort by each of those dates. Virtually all of them kept sorting in page order, which makes sense being that, if I'm scanning a book, I would scan page 001 first and keep going to the natural end.

Believe it or not, it works very well for viewing. I touch Photos and then pick the folder I wish to view, of which there are dozens, and then I tap, usually, on the first image in that folder and scroll through with little swipes of my fingertip. If I want to stop, I just press the button at the bottom and it goes back to the desktop and holds my spot. I have probably 6 dozen or so folders like this and they are all in perfect order, but this one has been baffling me for years.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

JustJeff88 posted:

I went into the Windows folder where I keep these scans and I ticked off every box that was Sort By: **** Date, and then had the folder sort by each of those dates. Virtually all of them kept sorting in page order, which makes sense being that, if I'm scanning a book, I would scan page 001 first and keep going to the natural end.

Believe it or not, it works very well for viewing. I touch Photos and then pick the folder I wish to view, of which there are dozens, and then I tap, usually, on the first image in that folder and scroll through with little swipes of my fingertip. If I want to stop, I just press the button at the bottom and it goes back to the desktop and holds my spot. I have probably 6 dozen or so folders like this and they are all in perfect order, but this one has been baffling me for years.

I second making them in to cbr files and using chunky. Your way is... Grandma level bizarre.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's so hilariously complicated.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's so hilariously complicated.

Nah, this is the Seneca of iPhone users. He has enough and finds joy in the simplicity of the photos app for all things. I wish I could learn his ways.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
it's justjeff88 just click the link in his custom text and it'll all make sense

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Holy poo poo the dude had a thing that worked and asked why one instance of it didn't work, why is he suddenly retarded for using this system that worked for him for however long instead of somehow knowing to pack his foreign language books into a comic book format and use an app that has nothing to do with what he was trying to accomplish in the first place

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wrist Watch posted:

Holy poo poo the dude had a thing that worked and asked why one instance of it didn't work, why is he suddenly retarded for using this system that worked for him for however long instead of somehow knowing to pack his foreign language books into a comic book format and use an app that has nothing to do with what he was trying to accomplish in the first place

He could've packed them into PDFs just as easily, saved a shitton of space, and gained every other benefit that compels millions of people to choose PDF for documents, text files, and printed images instead of JPEG you doofus.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

This was hilarious, thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh that thread has posts by known pedophile/saddle brown case user Noirstonaut!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Endless Mike posted:

Oh that thread has posts by known pedophile/saddle brown case user Noirstonaut!

Wait i thought brown leather case was the goon preferred iOS option

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Wait i thought brown leather case was the goon preferred iOS option
Only for pedophiles.

Orange silicone is the only acceptable iPhone case choice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Only for pedophiles.

Orange silicone is the only acceptable iPhone case choice.

Don't believe his lies.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

How can anyone choose anything other than black?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

How can anyone choose anything other than black?
Exactly but the path is grey on iPad Pro.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
lol casehavers.

Brb while I cover my beautifully engineered thousand dollar phone with a lovely $20 rubber elephant.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

BGrifter posted:

lol casehavers.

Brb while I cover my beautifully engineered thousand dollar phone with a lovely $20 rubber elephant.

Some of us do things like, you know, go outside with our phones, use them to play music while we jog/hike... etc...

You are probably shocked right now after reading this, and have possibly dropped your Mountain Dew or even your comic book reader. I'm sorry in advance.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Taima posted:

Some of us do things like, you know, go outside with our phones, use them to play music while we jog/hike... etc...

You are probably shocked right now after reading this, and have possibly dropped your Mountain Dew or even your comic book reader. I'm sorry in advance.

They make these fantastic things called "pockets" they put into many articles of clothing nowadays. You might have heard of them, they're amazing! You can also acquire a wide variety of backpacks, bags, briefcases and more that are perfect for storing things in as you travel from place to place.

Or you know, you could keep a condom on your phone/tablet at all times because reasons.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FYI, there exist cases other than bargain-basement Amazon.com plastic crap, but I guess not having a case is cool if you stay far enough away from all other living beings that you're never in danger of being bumped or jostled while using it.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
How's the iPad mini 2 16 GB model look for web surfing/movie streaming home device? Is 16gb good enough for just apps? I won't be putting pics or movies on the device itself just purely streaming all media over wifi in the house. I'll probably pick up a refurbished model - how's the battery usually on those?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
After 2-3 years of using a 32 GB iPad Air, I've realized that the capacity isn't enough. I've deleted just about every non-reading app on it and I still can't fit all the pdfs/ebooks I want on it.

So I want to get a bigger iPad. I was originally looking at the 128 GB iPad Air (same as the old one but with more storage capacity), but then I realized there's the Pro out, at 256 GB too. Is it worth upgrading to Pro, or is the Air still usable? Will I be shooting myself in the foot by buying an older model? Disclaimer: I still like the Air, and I'm no professional (so no 12-inch screens).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tardigrade posted:

After 2-3 years of using a 32 GB iPad Air, I've realized that the capacity isn't enough. I've deleted just about every non-reading app on it and I still can't fit all the pdfs/ebooks I want on it.

So I want to get a bigger iPad. I was originally looking at the 128 GB iPad Air (same as the old one but with more storage capacity), but then I realized there's the Pro out, at 256 GB too. Is it worth upgrading to Pro, or is the Air still usable? Will I be shooting myself in the foot by buying an older model? Disclaimer: I still like the Air, and I'm no professional (so no 12-inch screens).

The adaptive white balance is supposed to be pretty keen. I have the big fatty pro and I really love the speakers. If either of those are important to you, or a stylus, ever, then get the Pro. Otherwise the Air 2 is still fine.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ray_finkle_himself posted:

How's the iPad mini 2 16 GB model look for web surfing/movie streaming home device? Is 16gb good enough for just apps? I won't be putting pics or movies on the device itself just purely streaming all media over wifi in the house. I'll probably pick up a refurbished model - how's the battery usually on those?

16 GB is fine if you don't plan on using it for games or storing local media. I'd still go for at least 32 GB if I were you, though; I think it's only like $60 more for a refurb, and it's nice to have that extra space in case you decide you want to do more poo poo with it. Apple refurbs have new batteries installed in them so there's nothing to worry about on that front.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

FordPRefectLL posted:

ha!

so that's what started the rental chain thing. man. what a goon.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm too lazy to check but is Swift Playground an iPad Pro only thing?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm too lazy to check but is Swift Playground an iPad Pro only thing?

They didn't say that in the keynote. They only said "iPad", and as brand conscious as Apple is, I'm sure they would have made the distinction if it was there.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm pretty sure it's for all iPads. If they are gearing it towards kids and edu, I highly doubt it would be pro only.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would expect no older than iPad Air, but I could be wrong. iOS 10 is available on everything going back to iPad 2 and iPad mini 1, and I have a hard time believing it would be on those. (Incidentally, it's really time to end of life those, drat.)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of iOS 10, with all the 3D Touch features, do you think this would mean 3D Touch is coming to new iPads in the fall? Maybe used to differentiate between the iPad Airs and Pros (3D Touch vs Pencil support)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd be legitimately shocked if non-Pro iPads have 3D Touch while iPad Pro don't. Not to say it's impossible, but I'd call it very unlikely.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I'd be legitimately shocked if non-Pro iPads have 3D Touch while iPad Pro don't. Not to say it's impossible, but I'd call it very unlikely.

Yeah no way that happens, with the entirely likely possibility that the lag is simply due to refresh cycles.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Thwomp posted:

Speaking of iOS 10, with all the 3D Touch features, do you think this would mean 3D Touch is coming to new iPads in the fall? Maybe used to differentiate between the iPad Airs and Pros (3D Touch vs Pencil support)?

This is why I'm holding off on an iPad purchase right now.

(Not to mention, it's an easier answer to my internal debate of iPad Mini 4 vs. iPad Air 2 vs. 9.7" iPad Pro.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

OGB posted:

(Not to mention, it's an easier answer to my internal debate of iPad Mini 4 vs. iPad Air 2 vs. 9.7" iPad Pro.)
iPad mini 5 with 3D touch and Pencil support under the name of iPhone 7+ Pro.

Haven’t read the dev docs or anything but it looks like they’re using long presses to access things on the SE from what I’ve read, not sure that extends to all 3D touch events though.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

3D Touch has to be the most useless feature Apple has actually run with, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was completely removed and forgotten about in future iOS releases.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

LODGE NORTH posted:

3D Touch has to be the most useless feature Apple has actually run with, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was completely removed and forgotten about in future iOS releases.

Apple showed off new 3D Touch features in iOS 10 in the WWDC keynote, so Apple doesn't seem to agree with you.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Apple have run many way less useful features than 3D touch.

For someone who said just a month ago

LODGE NORTH posted:

I don't really even know why I'd buy an iPad Air 2 let alone what to do with this one.

I think the "I don't know what to do with the devices you sell" section of the market may not be the target audience of iPads ;)

Touch 3D is actually pretty good, knocking time off the way you use your phone every day. And especially so when jailbroken, you can do some ridiculous things with it.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 16, 2016

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Funso Banjo posted:

Touch 3D is actually pretty good, knocking time off the way you use your phone every day. And especially so when jailbroken, you can do some ridiculous things with it.
What are some of the cool jailbreak uses for 3D Touch? I'm still rocking an iPhone 6 and I think 3D Touch (and so the 6S generally) is the first time a new feature has been introduced that I don't really feel any phone envy whatsoever for. I'm curious to see what the iPhone 7 is gonna have to make me feel bad, or is phone technology at the stage now where there's not a lot of new stuff that can realistically be added.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

Apple have run many way less useful features than 3D touch.

For someone who said just a month ago

I think the "I don't know what to do with the devices you sell" section of the market may not be the target audience of iPads ;)

What features have been less useful than 3D Touch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I've had a 6S since it came out and the only time I've utilized 3D Touch is when I've accidentally triggered it while just trying to do a regular touch.