Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
I'm fortunate that city has an extremely active aquarium buy/sell group. As long as your stuff isn't overpriced, you can get rid of just about anything in a day. Lots of ads selling big mean cichlids that need to go ASAP because it just ate the owner's favourite fish (in one case, a prized arowana, which no one believed until they saw a pic of the thing sticking out of its mouth.)

The discus people in the group are weird, though. I see the same people buying $400 worth of discus from the group, posting photos of their new fish, and then putting them up for sale them less than a month later, over and over again. I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

peach moonshine posted:

(in one case, a prized arowana, which no one believed until they saw a pic of the thing sticking out of its mouth.)

Wait, the arowana is the one that got munched? What the hell managed to do that?

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015

Enos Cabell posted:

Wait, the arowana is the one that got munched? What the hell managed to do that?

A 12-inch albino Oscar. The pic seems to be gone but the post is still there.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

peach moonshine posted:

I learned that the hard way in high school when my 6 inch Oscar managed to eat a 5 inch Gibbiceps Pleco. He had about an inch of tail sticking out of his mouth when I found the crime scene.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

peach moonshine posted:

A good Oscar.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

sharkbomb posted:

Anyone have experience with using loaches for snail control? My new 75g tank has 8 happy corydoras catfish and approximately 50,000 snails. I was thinking of getting 6 loaches when they become available from one of the local stores.

Get some yo-yo loaches for snail control.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

sharkbomb posted:

I've been looking into getting loaches but have avoided clowns because I read they get to be a foot long? I have a 75 gallon tank, if I got 3 clown loaches do you think that would be okay, or would they get too big?

Clown loaches grow large I've some nearly a foot long they aren't fast growers but do live quite long,they are also a social fish and I'd recommend 5 or 6,eventually though you might need a bigger setup.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Just saw this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f6gud-55bc

How its Made - aquarium goldfish farm

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Hey this is my first post here, I wanted to post a rescue we just acquired today (Shop wanted to euthanize him as he was un-sellable ) and She was looking for any advice she could get.

He has a curved spine, what looks like a growth on his left gill and very clowdy eyes. His tank was very dirty, and had just arrived as a donation to the store. My trusted fish guy says he did not show any signs of parasites but was not a hundred percent sure.

https://imgur.com/a/kzRjE

I placed him in a 75 gallon tank as we think the 10 gallon hospital tank will be very stressful for a fish of his size (12 inches+)

Ph 8 Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 80

3 other fish in the tank, feeding repashy, aquatop 500uv filter (500 gallons/ hour)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've seen fish make some miraculous recoveries, but he looks in pretty rough shape. At this point the best bet is to maintain clean water in the tank and monitor his condition.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah goldfish they'll just grow to the size of the tank it'll be fine. :(:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Oh yeah goldfish they'll just grow to the size of the tank it'll be fine. :(:

Oh this was a pond fish based on the size, and is actually a very strong swimmer so much so that I worry about holding her as she could whip onto her tail and I don't know how delicate it is.

I think the tail is the result of an injury.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I have a five gallon tank with 15 or so cherry shrimp. I very rarely add food in the form of algae tabs. I'm having an infestation of water fleas, and everything I am reading indicates that they are harmless. It looks like poo poo though. I would like to have a fish that would leave my shrimp alone yet eat the water fleas. Something that can be alone since it's such a small tank. Is there anything other than a betta that can fulfill what I want?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not really. Betta also arent picky between the two crustaceans.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I have a betta that is chill with its invertebrate companions, but I won't speak to generally how they'll do. Especially if you're wanting one specifically to eat one kind but not the other.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if a riffle or bamboo shrimp would eat the little swimmers? They'd definitely leave the adult shrimp alone.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Water fleas aka scuds? drat the weather here, I would pay for overnight shipping to get them here alive.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I don't think I could get them out to send them lol. They are smaller than grains of sand. What would you want them for? I had a betta with the shrimp previously but he cleaned through the juveniles sadly. He also died six months after I got him.

Isn't there anything neon tetra size that can be alone?

Those aren't bubbles

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 3, 2016

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Little sparkling gouramis eat shrimp, as far as I know. Guppies eat everything and I think they prefer company even though they don't directional school. So many little fish are schoolers. You could probably get away with a couple of least killifish but they're livebearers so you don't want male+female or the population will get out of hand. That's if you can even find those available anywhere. If your little swimmers are seed shrimp (ostracod) instead of daphnia or copepod, I'm not sure how palatable they are since they have protective shells. Micropredator fish will probably have a go at anything that moves, though.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
Having a couple of setbacks this weekend. First, I haven't seen my nerite snail since Friday. Since my aquarium's so small (5 gallons) and I can't find an empty shell, I'm guessing it climbed out through the gap in the lid and never returned. I read this isn't supposed to happen unless the snail is starving, but there's a whole lot of algae in there, especially now. I'd like to get another one to help deal with the algae, but not knowing why the other one vanished is a concern. My other concern is that my betta's fins are started to look a tattered in a couple of spots again, though I haven't got any ammonia if I'm reading my water parameters right.

If all goes well and I move in the next few months, I'm going to move my betta to a larger aquarium (probably 20 gallons), where things are hopefully less likely to go bad in the course of two days.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Your nerite isn't necessarily dead, they annecdotally can last a few days out of water so if you find it on the floor you might be able to resuscitate it (but a dead snail stinks so you'll soon be able to tell if its too late). Any chance it got inside your filter somehow? Also, hows your water flow, could the betta be getting bashed around a bit or sucked on to the filter inlet in his sleep (maybe fix that wonky sponge)?

A bigger tank is definitely easier to keep, parameters wise, but a betta will never be a community fish and having a bigger tank does make it tempting to add more fish. Either his fins will get nipped, or he will pick fights, so if you wanted to have tankmates for him you'd have to be pretty choosy. Off the top of my head I can only think of a group of corydoras sterbai that I would consider putting with a betta, since they'd stay towards the bottom and the betta would have mid and top levels of the tank to himself. Corydoras sterbai can also handle the warm temperatures that a betta wants, and lastly they look nothing like a betta so he won't think they are competition and pick fights with them. Still nothing is foolproof, the betta might decide he hates the corys but at least there is no chance they will nip his fins and they are likely to hide rather than fight. If you decide to get some, get at least 6!

Realistically, you can still have a disaster in a 20 gallon tank, if something goes wrong and you miss it; changing with untreated water, or missing that a fish has died in the back corner and gone rotten (pretty sure this is where my finrot disaster came from), reaching into the tank without remembering you had lotion on your hands, your neighbour setting off a bug bomb and the fumes blowing into your house through the window etc. But it's definitely much easier to prevent deterioration by keeping ahead with water changes, a larger quantity of water keeps it's temperature better, and so on.

And this is how it starts. Just one more tank!

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015

Stoca Zola posted:

Your nerite isn't necessarily dead, they annecdotally can last a few days out of water so if you find it on the floor you might be able to resuscitate it (but a dead snail stinks so you'll soon be able to tell if its too late). Any chance it got inside your filter somehow? Also, hows your water flow, could the betta be getting bashed around a bit or sucked on to the filter inlet in his sleep (maybe fix that wonky sponge)?

I decided to get out a flashlight and search the floor. Sure enough, I found my snail behind my laundry bin, only 12 inches away from the tank stand. :( Wish I'd realized sooner than it was out. I noticed its absence yesterday, but I was busy, and I assumed it was hiding behind a rock or under the water sprite. I placed it back into the aquarium, but it's looking pretty dry...

I'm using a hang-on-back filter that has a small dial to adjust flow. It was turned down, but I'll try turning it down to a trickle. I replaced the sponge a little while ago.

Corydoras was what I had in mind for a larger tank, funny enough. I never knew they were a schooling fish until recently, and ever since I found out, I've been interested in getting some. The local aquarium store has a variety of cories, including corydoras sterbai. I like the idea of a big bunch of them puttering around the bottom of the tank together while my betta patrols the higher waters.

Edited to add that IT'S ALIVE! Thank you for your advice, Stoca Zola. When I realized it was gone, I assumed it must be dead already. I've learned a lesson and my nerite lives to see another day.

peach moonshine fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 7, 2016

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
This is one thing I like about freshwater. Sometimes acclimation is literally open bag, dump fish. I don't have time to safely acclimate via dripping when the bag is full of ammonia water.

So I got 4 forktail rainbows and 5 pygmy cories the other day. They all look very very tiny in this 20 gallon.

But I keep glancing at my 55 julie tank and realize I am bored with it. I bred the midnight blue julie, got a bunch of het babies, and I kinda want to change the tank to marine and have nothing but bangaii cardinalfish and sea stars and serpent stars.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I finished my above-ground pond, and here's a nice group shot through the pond window:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

I finished my above-ground pond, and here's a nice group shot through the pond window:

Gorgeous! Feel free to post more pics

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

peach moonshine posted:

Edited to add that IT'S ALIVE!

Yay! I'm glad you found it in time!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look at those poopmachines. :allears:

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I'm glad your nerite is alive! I had one living with a Betta fish for about a year until it spontaneously had its mantle collapse and died. I dunno, I guess it's like having a pneumothorax... for a snail.

My 2 year old betta fish died this weekend after having a weird distended belly for the last 2 weeks. I tried to stop feeding for a few days and giving him a pea to treat constipation, but he wouldn't eat anything. Something was wacky, because he would lunge at the floating food pellets like normal but always miss by a few centimeters like he was blind. Anyway, I guess I don't mind that much because I wanted to convert my 10 gallon tank into a quarantine/hospital next to my 75 gallon as well as get some plants growing.

I dropped 3 clown loaches into my 75g tank 2 weeks ago and they have decimated the snail population. I still have medium and large snails roaming around, but I no longer see the hordes of tiny snails and egg sacs attached to the tank wall. My snail infestation was getting to the point where the pebble surface looked like it was moving.

CrazyLittle posted:

Awesome!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
More fish pics

Front view of the pond, with window:

left side with bead filter and waterfall:

right side with chloramine filter, bottom drain, skimmer drain and pump housing:

Inside the pump housing with water level auto top-off, pump, and low-water cutoff switch:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Very cool! Are you planning to put floating water plants in?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Probably not unless I can divert water to somewhere else for the plants. Anything in the main pond just ends up as fish poop in a few days. Koi will uproot and eat any plants they can reach. And since the pond itself is above ground, any other pond or trough I make will also have to be higher than that.

... Maybe I might try building a hydroponic shelf off to the right??

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
That's a pretty wild tank you've built

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Christ I am glad my wife just missed that pond post and did not catch me looking at the pics else I would be hosed.

Brilliant job though!

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I was watching my Cory Catfish after feeding them when I noticed a little wiggling in my dwarfhair grass... babies! I saw 3 mini catfish swimming in the thick grass. Man, I feel like a proud parent, I love these little catfish. I wasn't planning on breeding them until my tank is more populated with other species so I'll just leave everything alone and see what happens.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Congrats sharkbomb! Post some pics if you've got em! I found some fishtank babies myself today, I've got at least 2 sizes of tiny shrimplets that have somehow survived in my cory/tetra community tank. I really wasn't expecting to see any at all since the species is supposed to have a planktonic larval stage (although, not one that requires salt water) and there are hungry fish about. I've seen the odd half sized shrimp but this is the first time I've seen the really tiny sized ones so maybe there is enough cover around now for the planktonic sized ones to survive? I am hoping enough will breed to replace any that die of old age, can't imagine these shrimp have a terribly long lifespan, they're paratya australiensis glass shrimp. And if some get eaten by my corys thats not really a bad thing, live food is healthy.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, sorry for the stupid question. I've had my little 2.5 gallon tank live planted and set up for a couple months now and the nitrite and pH levels are all good and dandy, so I was considering picking up a betta tomorrow or maybe just a few shrimp.

I realise I have to change the cartridge every now and then, but how do I change it without losing the bacteria? Do I just change the sponge and transplant the old media into it? Is it enough to rinse a new one in some aquarium water before putting it in?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

dog days are over posted:

Hey, sorry for the stupid question. I've had my little 2.5 gallon tank live planted and set up for a couple months now and the nitrite and pH levels are all good and dandy, so I was considering picking up a betta tomorrow or maybe just a few shrimp.

I realise I have to change the cartridge every now and then, but how do I change it without losing the bacteria? Do I just change the sponge and transplant the old media into it? Is it enough to rinse a new one in some aquarium water before putting it in?

First of all, you don't really need a filter with your Betta fish, as they prefer the water to be totally stationary. With their huge fins they get pushed around easily by any kind of water current. That being said, I'm not any kind of expert on Betta fish and I'm sure a filter would be totally fine. 2.5 gallons is a super tiny tank, though.

You'd probably be fine just rinsing the new filter material in aquarium water. If you wanted to get crazy you could rub the old filter all over the new filter so you inoculate with your good bacteria, although again that's probably overkill for a 2.5 gallon tank.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Video through the pond window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eYevrPLaTo

and gopro footage from inside the pond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8owUQnIw0Hs

Ashes_to_ashton
May 2, 2005
Rocky Horror is my Love
I'd cut a little chunk of sponge off and cram it into the new filter to make sure it got well seeeded to be honest. Since my two gallon cube finally got established with bacteria and my plants got growing I don't have to do water changes very frequently at all. Water's super clear, ammonia/nitrate levels are great and my livestock is all thriving. I've got a betta, 2 nerites and a couple of hitchhiker ramshorn in there currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

dog days are over posted:

Do I just change the sponge and transplant the old media into it? Is it enough to rinse a new one in some aquarium water before putting it in?

I'm not sure exactly what your filter layout is but generally you want to keep your sponge and just swish it/squeeze it out a bit in water you've taken out of your tank and don't toss it until you have to. Like, if it gets totally clogged and you can't clean it, or if it starts falling to bits. It's got a big surface area and holds lots of your bacteria.

If the filter is like a hang on back filter you want something over the intake, a sponge or some stocking material to protect your fish and shrimp from getting sucked in. If you have room in the filter chamber between cartridges you could add a little ceramic media to retain bacteria when you change out your cartridges. Often you just want to rinse and unclog your filter media, not toss it out too early. With a well planted tank you do have a bit more leeway too since the plants act as part of your filter and you aren't throwing those out.

You want to really be careful with water changes on a tank that small and maybe do small changes more often, I managed to kill most of my first tank of shrimp by accidentally changing too much water at once :(

And sharkbomb is right you really want to reduce the flow as much as you can for the comfort of a betta but again, with plants a betta might be able to find somewhere to park himself to sleep where he doesn't get pushed around too much. Just be prepared to monitor the situation and make changes if necessary. A small airpowered sponge filter might be a good gentle alternative if you can find somewhere to fit it in your tank. 2.5gal is really really small though!