Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
It's no Balon or Qhorin or Victarion but it's aight. Better than core TRV, agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

If there's any interest, I'm moving soon and I'll probably be gathering up my Netrunner promos/playmats (and Conquest ones too if any of you guys still want that stuff) to sell, as long as there's any interest.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/26/crafting-a-dynasty/
Next L5R Preview is up.
Things are shaping up nicely so far, Really liking how Crab looks.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I bet that holdings still work on broken provinces. Also, bets on how unique characters will likely be 1x in the core starter, yet obvious 3x includes in play?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Corbeau posted:

I bet that holdings still work on broken provinces. Also, bets on how unique characters will likely be 1x in the core starter, yet obvious 3x includes in play?

I am almost sure they will be. Still might not want to 3x them always tho. in old L5R it tended to be better to 3 stack small dudes so you can swarm faster than it was to stack Uniques.
That +1 fate token for free is nice but it eats up a spot that can hold another dude that turn.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
My favorite piece of L5R fiction. Written in the Scorpion Clan RPG book and probably other places as well, tells the tale of why all Scorpions wear masks and includes a twist ending to an old fable.

So excited for this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm looking at the Cities of Lies holding and not getting how to parse it. It's an action to reduce the cost of the next event, but it doesn't tap or anything. Does it just reduce the cost of all events as long as you remember to use it during the Action windows? Or is it just a one shot event and then you add it as a passive +1 strength to whatever province it's at?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
In the past (and it looks like the future) all L5R abilities are once-per-turn unless stated otherwise. So you'd take an action to use the ability, and then the next event you play that turn is cheaper.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
So apparently holdings block dynasty card production from that province. That makes life interesting.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 26, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
... Okay, didn't expect that.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

So apparently holdings block dynasty card production from that province. That makes life interesting.

that is really odd.
I wonder why they went that way with it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I guess Holdings are just gonna go right in the trash?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Not necessarily. Characters will appear in your Conflict deck and the fate mechanic itself also means you're going to be less reliant on flipping characters every turn. There's also speculation that you can just discard them at the end of turn so you can't get totally shut out of getting more characters.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
They are also free buffs to the Str at that location along with an ability.
The Crab one is perfect for just blocking out attackers early while you set up your plans.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
A thing that leapt out at me from the article is that influence is only for the conflict deck. So I wonder how they are going to handle playing out of faction cards in the dynasty side. It would be weird if you couldn't do it at all.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

jadarx posted:

A thing that leapt out at me from the article is that influence is only for the conflict deck. So I wonder how they are going to handle playing out of faction cards in the dynasty side. It would be weird if you couldn't do it at all.

There will be some minor mooks from other clans in the conflict deck so you can splash some there but I think all "Named" Personalities will not playable out of faction.
We might see Alliance cards like what Game of Thrones has in the future to allow clan mashes.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hm, looks like maybe "Way of the X" cards are not super special after all, and watercolor art is just a quirk for all Philosophy keyword events. I'm holding out hope that Philosophy cards are part of some special always-start-in-hand command pod deal. I think they're more special and deserving of the unique art that way.

Also you know it's clear why they do things the way they do, don't wanna confuse players about who is and is not Unique, but man there is so much less charm to the game when it's all Dual Sword Dude and Charging Warrior rather than Mirumoto Taki and Matsu Gohei.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Hm, looks like maybe "Way of the X" cards are not super special after all, and watercolor art is just a quirk for all Philosophy keyword events. I'm holding out hope that Philosophy cards are part of some special always-start-in-hand command pod deal. I think they're more special and deserving of the unique art that way.

Also you know it's clear why they do things the way they do, don't wanna confuse players about who is and is not Unique, but man there is so much less charm to the game when it's all Dual Sword Dude and Charging Warrior rather than Mirumoto Taki and Matsu Gohei.

I'm in the camp that I'd rather have generic personalities than 3 Matsu Gohei on the board at the same time. Since. presumably. followers won't be the same, this is a reasonable change.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 27, 2017

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GrandpaPants posted:

So I guess Holdings are just gonna go right in the trash?

It was my experience that holdings were largely junk. Think our decks basically ended up being all chars, which was part of why I wondered to even have two decks besides legacy reasons since conflict deck also had chars.

As was said you can discard at the end of the turn to get rid of them but they still clog while around.

And from what I recall dynasty is all neutral or your clan.

And as for named generic dudes, they served a purpose in the original game in that you could overlay their exp version for cheaper. That's not really a thing here.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 27, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is OCTGN dead? My friend and I have been unable to log in for a few days

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

StashAugustine posted:

Is OCTGN dead? My friend and I have been unable to log in for a few days

https://www.reddit.com/r/octgn/comments/6880dr/official_outage_update/

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
New Article about the remaining phases of the turn: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/3/the-conflicts-of-rokugan/

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I like everything that I read there. And at least there is some penalty to having broken provinces, even if it's incredibly minor.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Ah, so you can claim rings on defense you just don't get their benefit.

I really like the Dragon stuff I see.

The forced cycling is good because that gives some incentive to attack holdings but also means that future holdings flipped in that province will be only useful for a turn.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So, are rings permanently yours when you claim them, or can they be claimed back to your opponent?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PJOmega posted:

So, are rings permanently yours when you claim them, or can they be claimed back to your opponent?

The rings reset during the regroup phase.

quote:

The final phase of each round is the regroup phase, allowing for the leaders of the clans to take stock of their current position and prepare for the following game round. First, each character remaining in a player's home area is readied, preparing for the conflicts ahead. Next, players discard unwanted faceup cards from provinces and immediately replace them with cards from the dynasty deck.

This provides players the option of getting rid of dynasty cards they may not need. However, during this phase, all faceup cards on broken provinces are also replaced. Players then return all claimed rings to the general pool and pass the first player token. The next round can then begin.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think this game is shaping up nicely. Dragon shenanigans with Rings promise an extra level of strategy. However, without expressly calling it good or bad, I'll observe we're seeing the removal effects start to crop up, and while some have target cost restrictions and stuff I suspect we're headed towards another game where big fat expensive guys are just terrible ideas. WH40K Conquest was like that.

edit: lookit the Lion courtier! "Alright, NERD, listen up"

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 4, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah I think this game is shaping up nicely. Dragon shenanigans with Rings promise an extra level of strategy. However, without expressly calling it good or bad, I'll observe we're seeing the removal effects start to crop up, and while some have target cost restrictions and stuff I suspect we're headed towards another game where big fat expensive guys are just terrible ideas. WH40K Conquest was like that.

Yeah, I can already imagine that Reprieve is going to be a fairly borrowed card based on essentially being a fate token +.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SuperKlaus posted:

Ehh, some of the champions were actually really good and they're fairly expensive.

That said, I think I would've liked a reskin of WH40K. That was a really cool game, too bad GW decided to pull the license.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PaybackJack posted:

Yeah, I can already imagine that Reprieve is going to be a fairly borrowed card based on essentially being a fate token +.

I'm unsure. As a psuedo-fate token it's awful because it costs a fate and a card. It is for countering kill effects, with the nice feature of extending your guy's life a turn even if your opponent isn't the sort to use death-spell hard removal. It still costs that card, though, and that also means you have the "doesn't work without having it drawn at the right time" issue. I'm reminded of Lucky Warpaint from WH40K, which was very strongly similar because it was meant to go on a big fat guy and counter a lot of big fat guy-screw effects. It sucked. It didn't have that nice extra life-timer extension consolation prize feature (WH40K didn't have this crazy fading business so I guess an analogy would have been +1 HP), but I'll also observe Reprieve doesn't protect you against softer control. Warpaint could protect you against a lot of debuff and alteration shenanigans. This game is looking choked with effects to bow guys and move guys and drain skill from guys - Reprieve affects none of that.

Actually maybe a better comparison is Fall Back from the core set, duh, silly me. That cost a money and a card and gave a 1-up to your big fatty. It saw play as I recall but still minimally. It still had the issues of not being in hand when needed and not protecting against soft screws, and it even had an edge Reprieve does not: it was a surprise to the enemy, not an attachment card, so you got to spring it after they expended their death effect.

WH40K was truly a good game...ah well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

alansmithee posted:

That was a really cool game, too bad GW decided to pull the license.

This seems like a pretty common refrain for a lot of FFG games. RIP Conquest, Forbidden Stars, Disk Wars.

My initial (pre?)impressions are that I wish choosing where battles took place was a tactical layer in itself. I feel like there is a lot of lost design space there, but like alansmithee, figuring out where to put dudes down in Conquest was like the most taxing decision making I've had to do in an LCG.

I don't think there will necessarily be a "big dude" issue, but it's just a matter of proportion. Even in Conquest, I would want at least 4-5 big dudes in my deck so that they can make a big splash at a planet that needed a big splash, especially if they had an AOE or something else that would support the other dudes. GOT similarly has a number of big dudes, and that game seems way more lethal (and the consequences much worse) than here.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

My initial (pre?)impressions are that I wish choosing where battles took place was a tactical layer in itself. I feel like there is a lot of lost design space there, but like alansmithee, figuring out where to put dudes down in Conquest was like the most taxing decision making I've had to do in an LCG.

That's my big issue with the redesign as well. They got rid of a bunch of the cruft of 90s era design (the resource system, all or nothing combat, and the snowballing tempo) and kept some superficial stuff (two decks, attachments). However, they dropped some of the only successful/innovative elements of the games original design: the movement and assignment to multiple "zones" in combat and the general back and forth flow of a bunch of battle actions. Movement was the most powerful and arguably underrated combat mechanic (SupTacs, Relentless Assault, Diamond Era Ring of Water and Crossroads, that one card that let you target a samurai and move two guys in, a million cards after I stopped caring).

I mean, I'm a bit biased since I came pretty close to winning a World Championship with the most movement heavy deck in the game's history, but without the multiple zones of battle I'm not sure if the license is enough to get me playing when LCGS that are arguably better mechanically (like, say, Netrunner) are out there.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's the first post I've read about L5R and now I'm sad.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Don't worry, any redesign of an old thing is always going to draw comments ranging from wistful to hateful. A lot of the criticism people raise are pretty subjective. Personally I'm not worried about the mechanics, they look fine to me. If anything my concern is still with the LCG model and how hard FFG is going to let people down with their probably weak story tie-ins/events.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/10/Banzai/
A bunch of new information here.
Looks like dudes you play from hand can only get 1 extra fate.

Conflicts look great so far. I am really looking forward to this.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

LordNat posted:

Looks like dudes you play from hand can only get 1 extra fate.

Where did you see this in the article? I saw a mention of choosing not to add additional fate to the Seeker of Knowledge, but it didn't specify how much you could or couldn't add.

edit: Reading around, it seems the discrepancy was FFG's typical lack of proofreading and/or the article writers' typical lack of actual game knowledge showing up again. The article originally stated you could put "an additional fate" on a character, but has since been corrected to say just "additional fate".

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 11, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I miss the part of L5R battles where all the losers get picked up and summarily put into the nearest dumpster.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I think the main takeaway from this week's article is that dishonoring an Honored dude doesn't take him straight to Dishonored, vice versa.

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
A few things in that conflicts piece feel really agot-ish which isn't bad, but I played so much agot back in the day that when I started playing L5R it was a huge breath of fresh air. I think I actually liked it a bit more.

I don't know. The whole playing attachments on enemy characters and ambushing in guys during combat isn't objectively bad or anything (nor are they strictly agot mechanics), so I guess I'll reserve judgement. The weapons seemed kind of bland as well, but I'm not expecting them to bust out really crazy attachments in core set preview articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Wells posted:

A few things in that conflicts piece feel really agot-ish which isn't bad, but I played so much agot back in the day that when I started playing L5R it was a huge breath of fresh air. I think I actually liked it a bit more.

I don't know. The whole playing attachments on enemy characters and ambushing in guys during combat isn't objectively bad or anything (nor are they strictly agot mechanics), so I guess I'll reserve judgement. The weapons seemed kind of bland as well, but I'm not expecting them to bust out really crazy attachments in core set preview articles.

It's very Conquest as well.