Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The Cleaner posted:

Guys I have a confession...

I am the non-classically trained, small-fingered jerk who keeps requesting manufacturers build their synths with mini-keys. I whole-heartedly buy and support mini-key designs.

Sorry if your fat fingers can't squeeze between them... you can always just buy a MIDI controller :shrug:

'Sup minikeys bro. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe

Mr. Glass posted:

i also just picked up a mannequins three sisters filter, which seems incredibly versatile.

Yeah, I messed around with that and their VCO Mangrove a little whine ago. I would've bought them right then and there, but had already blown my budget on a René and Erbe-Verb. No regrets, though. René plus Maths is too much fun.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

The Yellow King posted:

Yeah, I messed around with that and their VCO Mangrove a little whine ago. I would've bought them right then and there, but had already blown my budget on a René and Erbe-Verb. No regrets, though. René plus Maths is too much fun.

yeah. i got a rené recently and i love it. goes great with a wogglebug, too, if you don't already have one.

the thing i like about the Three Sisters is that it works great as a regular multimode filter if you need it for that, or you can do the crazy spectral shaping it was designed to do. would be great in a small system i think.

haven't tried the Mangrove yet, but i picked up a Cold Mac recently, which is.... interesting, to say the least. need to spend some quality time with it to really get a handle on what it's capable of.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

i picked up a Cold Mac recently, which is.... interesting, to say the least. need to spend some quality time with it to really get a handle on what it's capable of.

its a really good module with loving atrocious documentation (and atrocious with the designer's excuse that it was intended that way so that people would 'discover' it themselves. great. whatever. clap clap clap. we spent £150. give us a loving manual). so someone made a better one: http://doudoroff.com/cold-mac/

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

Hrrmm… All of a sudden my MATHS is acting weird.
The gate on channel 4 doesn't seem to turn off anymore. In cycle mode it works as intended, with the Rise/Fall/Vari knobs functioning as usual. As soon as I turn cycle off, the gate opens. The trigger in does nothing. The EOC out is constantly on.

Any ideas what could be causing this? It worked fine yesterday. I've tried a few different slots and disconnected other modules, but no luck. That's about all I can think of. Of course this happens on a Friday.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

The Yellow King posted:

Hrrmm… All of a sudden my MATHS is acting weird.
The gate on channel 4 doesn't seem to turn off anymore. In cycle mode it works as intended, with the Rise/Fall/Vari knobs functioning as usual. As soon as I turn cycle off, the gate opens. The trigger in does nothing. The EOC out is constantly on.

Any ideas what could be causing this? It worked fine yesterday. I've tried a few different slots and disconnected other modules, but no luck. That's about all I can think of. Of course this happens on a Friday.

Er, isn't that how the end of cycle gate works? It goes high when both rise and fall are complete. If cycle is off that means it'll be on basically all the time since it's doing nothing. Unless you mean that even when the envelope is rising and falling the gate is still on, in which case yeah something is up there cause that's not normal.

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

Mr. Sharps posted:

Er, isn't that how the end of cycle gate works? It goes high when both rise and fall are complete. If cycle is off that means it'll be on basically all the time since it's doing nothing. Unless you mean that even when the envelope is rising and falling the gate is still on, in which case yeah something is up there cause that's not normal.

Dammit, you're right. So I guess my problem is that the trigger input doesn't work? I can use ch. 4 as an LFO (in cycle mode), but I can't use it as an envelope, because the trigger will not start the cycle.

I'm pretty sure this isn't what was happening before. Or am I? Please tell me I haven't gone completely insane.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

The Yellow King posted:

Dammit, you're right. So I guess my problem is that the trigger input doesn't work? I can use ch. 4 as an LFO (in cycle mode), but I can't use it as an envelope, because the trigger will not start the cycle.

I'm pretty sure this isn't what was happening before. Or am I? Please tell me I haven't gone completely insane.

Well if sending a trigger to the trigger input isn't doing anything then yeah something is up. Does sending cv to the signal input do anything? How about if you patch a gate into the cycle input?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It was payday so I spent some cash on an Electribe 2 today since the music store was having a sale. Tried out the firmware swap, played around with sampling, but wanted more synth juice so went back to stock FW. I'm a bit frustrated with how many questions the manual leaves unanswered, and would have liked to have just a bit more flexibility on the modulation side of things, but so far I think this box is going to be lots of fun once I get the hang of things.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Have fun with the E2, I have both and so far there's nothing close for the price.

I am still playing around in overpriced Yamaha 4-op land. I configured my Taktile 49 to control the ReFace DX, and having a knob or slider for the main controls(coarse frequency/ratio, fine frequency/ratio, feedback, frequency/ratio toggle , feedback saw/square toggle) per operator makes a big difference. Still, I have to menu dive to change envelopes or adjust detune which is in half semitones and would be drat useful to have MIDI control over.

I like it so far, mostly working on spacey or metallic pads. I'm finding the half semitone detune and feedback give the most subtle/least in-harmonic addition of overtones but I'm trying wilder stuff as I go.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

:whatup:

finally built a eurorack case that isn't complete crap. it's similar to the doepfer low-cost case in terms of materials and overall shape but it's slimmer (about 3" overall depth) and i'm using a DC power supply. also i made it so it is superior in every way :colbert: it also has a 1U row for most of my utilities. i have some lumber cut to build a lid but at this point i'm just happy to have a (more or less) cohesive system.

the bottom right is temporary until my SMRF preorder finally shows up.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Alright Euro people, I'm in need of some noob advice. I've gotten my toes wet in the Euro world, and I'm at a point where I know I need more VCAs/modulators, but I'm overwhelmed by options and not sure where my money is best spent (burned) at this point. All I have so far is a MN Echophon & Maths, plus a Mother32 on the way. I also have a Microbrute and a QuNexus for what they're worth in terms of CV Gate & pitch signals. I wager I have about 50hp left in my case. What's my priority in terms of control signals, mods, and VCAs? I was thinking of getting a dual VCA that can do either exp. or linear, like the Intellijel uVCA or MST Synthrotek VCA modules. What else will I find I need right away? LFOs? Envelopes? Filters?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Alright Euro people, I'm in need of some noob advice. I've gotten my toes wet in the Euro world, and I'm at a point where I know I need more VCAs/modulators, but I'm overwhelmed by options and not sure where my money is best spent (burned) at this point. All I have so far is a MN Echophon & Maths, plus a Mother32 on the way. I also have a Microbrute and a QuNexus for what they're worth in terms of CV Gate & pitch signals. I wager I have about 50hp left in my case. What's my priority in terms of control signals, mods, and VCAs? I was thinking of getting a dual VCA that can do either exp. or linear, like the Intellijel uVCA or MST Synthrotek VCA modules. What else will I find I need right away? LFOs? Envelopes? Filters?

with a small system, you're really trying to maximize the functionality per hp. you can probably get by with a µVCA, but consider the bubblesound vca4p or the ALM Tangle Quartet, both of which will get you double the VCAs in a mere 2hp more space. the latter is linear only, but if you're using your Maths for envelopes/LFOs you can adjust the CV curve to get a exponential "response" from the VCA.

if you have a maths you really don't need an envelope generator imo. i'd suggest adding a Function if you need another function generator. if you're going to get an LFO (keep in mind that Maths can be used for LFO duties) i would get one that also functions as a VCO, like a intellijel Dixie II or a MI Tides.

not sure you need an additional filter, but i'll just repost my recommendation from upthread for the mannequins Three Sisters, especially in a small system.

e: it looks like the Mother 32 only has one oscillator, so definitely think about picking up another sound source. for a small system, Braids is hard to beat, assuming you're not an analog purist.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 13, 2015

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking to amplify a 2v p-p (-1v to +1v) signal into eurorack audio and CV levels. Is Mutable Shades or Intellijel Triatt going to do what I need?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

sliderule posted:

I'm looking to amplify a 2v p-p (-1v to +1v) signal into eurorack audio and CV levels. Is Mutable Shades or Intellijel Triatt going to do what I need?

no, those only attenuate (reduce the amplitude) and/or offset (add or subtract a constant value to/from, but leaving the amplitude unchanged) the signal. you need something that will amplify the signal to modular levels, like the Circuit Abbey Gozinta, pgh InOut, doepfer A-119 or similar.

e: erthenvar also makes a line in module if you have a 1U row: http://erthenvar.com/store/tile-modules/line-in-black

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 13, 2015

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I kinda thought so, although I wasn't sure. Thanks for the advice.

Looks like the Gozinta is the one for me.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Artisanally hand-crafted, cruelty-free, ethically sourced, repurposed aluminum Eurorack modular cases; for the modern sophsticated robotfart musician on the go:

This was my first attempt at doing a DIY case out of a Halliburton. It was very very tricky mounting the rails correctly and making sure everything lined up properly but I'm pretty happy with the results! 6U at 110HP (111HP technically), 108HP on the top to accommodate the hinge. I'm waiting on delivery one of the new Synthrotek PWR modules which I plan to use on this baby. The gap towards the top of the case is wide enough to store a power brick and a bunch of cables. The case can be closed while patched (more important than you might realize) and the foam padding thingy in the top is removable.

I've also got another one of these cases in WHITE (it looks like a Stormtrooper) which I plan to start working on next. Also planning on making a version that can do modules in the lid and body but I need to find the right dimensions of a case first.

There was a guy I worked with who also does these custom and I ended up ordering one off of him but his communication was really bad and the final product left a lot to be desired (bad paint job, slanted rails, I was not happy). I knew I could do a better job and once I found a place with the right tools I got to work. If there is interest I *might* consider doing these on order and semi to-spec, PM me for more details.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 13, 2015

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

So, if anyone has a Nord Modular G1, some dude just realized the headphone output is DC coupled.

So, your Nord Modular G1 is a totally amazingly capable CV/Gate sequencer

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-60892.html

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Cross-posting to a few threads, but I did something productive and maybe even semi-musical with my modular: tell me another one

I'm pretty ok with it. I especially like the Orgone Accumulator (and A-100-1 x2) on bass.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

toadee posted:

So, if anyone has a Nord Modular G1, some dude just realized the headphone output is DC coupled.

I thought you needed to do something to the capacitors around the headphone jack to make this happen on the G1? Maybe I'm thinking of the G2..

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

toadee posted:

While this is clever, seems like a whole lot of equipment just to do that.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

0dB posted:

While this is clever, seems like a whole lot of equipment just to do that.

Modular.txt

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Needs no additional hardware, and uhh, if you already have a Nord Modular, all it requires is a 1/4" stereo cable splitter?

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Just in case any of you had a £70k itch in your pocket... http://www.ebay.com/itm/281819554519

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

When do the Mother 32s start shipping?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They've been shipping, albeit slowly. Some Guitar Centers even had some, and there are folks who've had them for a week. Mine's arriving tomorrow.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I'm considering getting a mother 32 as an upgrade from volcas. And also because it's something from Asheville, my mom's hometown, that I actually like (and is cheap for a Moog).

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Slapped my forehead when I found out how to do PWM on the SQ80 with oscillator sync, which continues to be the best feature.
Although I have also warmed up to AM's timbral possibilities.

It was as charming as it was educational to read through the Transoniq Hacker archive. The classified section was especially entertaining. A++ would read again.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I'm selling a monomachine sfx-60+ mkII $990

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747186

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You know they regularly go on ebay for 7-800?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
No, I did search eBay to research but I didn't see any selling for that low. Searched again just now and saw one thats currently $745, thanks for the headsup

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I attended a "Make Your Own Synthesizer" workshop yesterday and built a Shbobo Shnth. The kit was an enjoyable confidence-building soldering project that can be assembled in 2-3 hours, and the Shnth is a really interesting amalgam between a wooden thumb piano and a USB-programmable modular.

It's going to take me a little while to get up to speed authoring patches for this thing, but here's me mashing on presets for a couple of minutes to give an idea of what kind of robot farts are possible off the shelf:

https://soundcloud.com/discolingua/shnth-experiment-1

h_double fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 20, 2015

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Trying to finish a track for once, for a live show on Halloween. Just have a quick question for anyone familiar with a TR-707. :O

Controlling a TR-707 via MIDI from Ableton, does anyone know off the top of your head of way to MIDI-gate the 707 sounds so that each time an instrument is triggered it only plays as long as the MIDI key is held? As it is, the entire sample plays out whether the MIDI note is very short or very long. I'd like to be able to stutter the sounds, cut them off or let them ring at will.

Thanks!

/pops back out for another 6 months

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
So this dude on r/synthesizers posted what he calls the "Synth Buyer's guide" and is acting like some kind authoritative source on all things synth, but it's so off the wall I'm almost wondering if he's trying to punk synth noobs?

Example:

On Reddit he's doubling down defending his bizarre interpretation of what a rompler is. I really don't know what to think.

(Wait. It's not one of us, is it?)

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i don't think he knows who his audience is, since it starts with "drop $500" and then goes to "write a song".

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
is that some italian phrase i don't rmember from music theory?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Probably just a kid thinks he's hot poo poo. Speaking of, bezos' robots have a volca beats and sq1 headed my way :yum:

W424
Oct 21, 2010
That's like same bullshit as "get an acoustic guitar before electric". A rompler as a first synth would suck poo poo.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

W424 posted:

That's like same bullshit as "get an acoustic guitar before electric". A rompler as a first synth would suck poo poo.

Not if you actually intend to make music/compose with it. I would've been perfectly o.k. with an Rm1x as a first synth. Really, it should say get a groovebox or a sequencer as your first synth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
get a volca as your first synth if you dont want to spend alot, get a minibrute otherwise imo