Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikeC posted:

Hi guys, I just want to confirm that installing Java is pretty much the only way to get any mods in the game even though from what I have read, the Minecraft launcher from Mojang no longer needs Java installed on the OS?

I am picking up the game again after several years and just want to get some nicer graphics via Optifine and maybe try out those fancy shader mods.

Pick a pack and then install the technic launcher. I like http://technicpack.net/modpack/requiem-hqm.759053 Because it has tutorials running you through the start up / more advanced stuff of almost every major mod out right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MikeC posted:

Hi guys, I just want to confirm that installing Java is pretty much the only way to get any mods in the game even though from what I have read, the Minecraft launcher from Mojang no longer needs Java installed on the OS?

I am picking up the game again after several years and just want to get some nicer graphics via Optifine and maybe try out those fancy shader mods.

I think that happened some time in 1.8. If you're keen on using a 1.7.10 pack, then you'll still need to set up your own JVM.

Also, to be really pedantic: Minecraft still needs Java, but the change meant it bundled a specific one for its uses. That eliminated a lot of ambiguity on what JVM to use, what was supported, blablabla.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Turtlicious posted:

Pick a pack and then install the technic launcher. I like http://technicpack.net/modpack/requiem-hqm.759053 Because it has tutorials running you through the start up / more advanced stuff of almost every major mod out right now.

I tried to run that technic launcher but it requires me to install Java, which is what I am trying to avoid. Appreciate the help though.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My wife and sister wives finished bfsr, agrarian skies, and as 2. We're looking for a hqm modpack based on finding clever ways to produce ridiculous amounts of resources, like ag skies did. Any packs out there with that kind of challenge?

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
Obscurity is about that in the mid to endgame. You have to submit, say, 50000 logs, and you automate that sort of thing with Steve's Carts.

On that modpack, where are you supposed to find amber-bearing stone? I haven't found any, not even from an ender quarry, and the three pieces of amber I currently have were looted from a dungeon room.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Second time ive tried to play teh beehappy mod pack of FTB. Either its me or its terrible.

I have no idea how to use any of the machines given, no help in the quest book. And its skyblock, so when you fall off the edge you lose everything...

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was going to use it in BFSR particularly to make my tutorial dimension, but it doesn't seem to work with Lockdown. I'm unsure yet if the alternative I am doodling works with it either, so this might not be a problem with RFTools in particular. I figured I'd include it for teleportation and some advanced RF shenanigans. That being said, RFTools would be pretty dumb to put in, say, Hexxit. I think Lite packs generally would discourage alternate dimensions too.

As someone who wrote off RFTools as an alternate dimension mod with a few redstone tools initially, I'm mad impressed with its current state. The Modular Storage system is incredible -- like an ME system that you can implement before you hit post-scarcity, without the horseshit crystal growing mechanics. And that's just, like, two blocks and a few items among quite a bit more.

Having finally played BFSR, I think you may want to look at some of its blocks that don't relate to dimlets/dimension crafting. Could cut down a bit on mod creep if that becomes a problem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any HQM packs besides Blightfall that focus on Thaumcraft and Thaumcraft addons mostly to the exclusion of anything else? I know there's Regrowth but that's more Botania and Magical Crops/Agricraft obviously :v:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

RFTools.

Heh, we just did a lap on all this some pages ago because I was trying to use MystCraft and RFTools both to set up a tutorial dimension. To summarize: MystCraft will do this "MystCraft is baking a cake" thing when you start a new world that can potentially put your computer on its rear end. As a server owner, it encourages wonton dimension creation and can put the server on its rear end. RFTools does not do the cake baking thing, but it mitigates some of the problems by putting an initial power cost on top of making dimensions. Really, somebody with a super-huge reactor can run off whatever they want, but those people tend to be more responsible anyways <crosses fingers>.

In practice, dimension creating is indeed novel at first, but they don't really offer much else extra to the base game. These are not necessarily wildly-different worlds. That being said, running RFTools with Minechem leads to a nice perk of creating oceans of liquid cocaine.

You can power a dimension from inside the dimension so it can be permanently powered by a creative cell in a bedrock case.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Any HQM packs besides Blightfall that focus on Thaumcraft and Thaumcraft addons mostly to the exclusion of anything else? I know there's Regrowth but that's more Botania and Magical Crops/Agricraft obviously :v:

Why not skip the HQM and go for something like hermitcraft ModSauce or similar, then you can expand your knowledge and learn new packs, They have tinkers and thaum, + ae2, Ender IO, witchery, botania, etc

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

Why not skip the HQM and go for something like hermitcraft ModSauce or similar, then you can expand your knowledge and learn new packs, They have tinkers and thaum, + ae2, Ender IO, witchery, botania, etc

HQm give a sense of purpose ^^

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

HQm give a sense of purpose ^^

When i play on a server its usually to get to the stage where i can help others by giving them angel wings, or complete reactor setups
and for me getting the most efficient reactor/ turbine setup etc

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

When i play on a server its usually to get to the stage where i can help others by giving them angel wings, or complete reactor setups
and for me getting the most efficient reactor/ turbine setup etc

I looked a that hermicraft, pretty big mod list.
Are there any good servers? I mostly play solo, but id be willing to try something with no quest if there are others.

(im fixing Disasterpiece theater now and will try that again, its a goon server)

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Khorne posted:

Gravestones are in a bunch of mods now and it's pretty much an in between.

You die, they drop, they never vanish, everyone is happy because no items disappear or fall into lava.

100% of the time gravestones (especially the ones terrible mod "Gravestone") end up, at some point, eventually for some reason, not spawning and losing all my poo poo, or ending up in some spot i can't find without digging through log files and flying around in creative, so i'm beginning to hate them a bit. They're better than vanilla though yes.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

100% of the time gravestones (especially the ones terrible mod "Gravestone") end up, at some point, eventually for some reason, not spawning and losing all my poo poo, or ending up in some spot i can't find without digging through log files and flying around in creative, so i'm beginning to hate them a bit. They're better than vanilla though yes.

i agree. 99% of the time you died because you wre going to. By the time you can get back and get your stuff you probably dont need it.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Wolpertinger posted:

100% of the time gravestones ... end up, at some point, eventually for some reason, not spawning and losing all my poo poo

Just came across this mod TwoGraves that seems solid. I like it because it's just a gravestone, no other stuff.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2480388-twograves-v1-1-keeps-your-items-safe-on-death

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was going to use [RF Tools] in BFSR particularly to make my tutorial dimension, but it doesn't seem to work with Lockdown.

The author of RFTools, McJty, is pretty responsive to questions and feedback. It might be worth trying to contact him to ask about whether what you're trying to do is possible? He posts a lot in the FTB subreddit, if you can stand poking around in there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2229562-rftools-dimension-builder-teleportation-crafter

Wolpertinger posted:

It seems like OpenComputers just has you spend a ridiculous amount of time putting together a bunch of aggrivating little chips that are used to make other chips that are used to make other chips that are used to make other chips, and it's not like you'd automate them since you don't need that many computers, since the sheer amount of recipes involved would make automation really tough.

Oh my god, you were so right. I just finally looked at the crafting recipes. This is really bumming me out. It's such a great mod flavor- and feature-wise! Why'd he have to go and gently caress it up with seventeen million crafting steps to actually make anything? :smith:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

You can power a dimension from inside the dimension so it can be permanently powered by a creative cell in a bedrock case.

I believe there is also a creative dimlet modifier that makes it so a dimension doesn't require power.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Goncyn posted:

Why'd he have to go and gently caress it up with seventeen million crafting steps to actually make anything? :smith:

If Minecraft modding was a song, this would be the chorus.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I think the open computers dev is German. I think Greg is too actually. I wonder if it's just cultural.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

The only time I found gravestones to fail to spawn at all is when I was playing with Grimoire of Gaia 2 also present. It turns out if you die to the 1 heart of additional armor-piercing damage the mobs deal, it doesn't count as a proper death or something so the gravestone doesn't catch your gear. It's just all gone.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
If you die on Thaumcraft taint it vanishes too, with the Gravestone mod anyway. Plus there is of course void worlds, and the End, and lava.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

If you die on Thaumcraft taint it vanishes too, with the Gravestone mod anyway. Plus there is of course void worlds, and the End, and lava.

well with lava the gravestone just gets harder to reach, not impossible. But yeah you should report the taint issue. It sounds like the method of catching death he's using sucks, and there's no sanity check to make sure it doesn't delete items if there's no gravestone spawning.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
The openblocks graves backup your inventory to a file, so if they bug out you (or a server admin) can restore your inventory.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The morbidly curious may want to know that in RFTools could handle the tutorial dimension idea fine, it's just Lockdown as it stands is not set up to do the overworld-overriding thing I want to do. If I delete the Overworld's region file from the template directory, it will indeed create a new one, but it will resort to the settings I used to originally create the Overworld in the original save. I submitted something up on GitHub, so who knows. Apparently, Lockdown is 1.8 now. If they see the merit in what I'm trying to do, and institute a fix, I'd be still out of luck. My only recourse really would be to roll back their repository to right before the 1.8 port and try to reinstitute the same code.

I am pondering if I should compromise and not bother with honoring user-defined terrain generation. BFSR then would have the same overworld for everybody. Alternately, I don't bother with the tutorial dimension. I am waiting to see how my mumblings on the Lockdown GitHub go, but I'm open to suggestions here. I am assuming there is big value in having a tutorial dimension showing off how to do all this stuff. I mostly learned how to use all the mods in the pack previously from seeing it done on servers. Having it in front of you is a big boon. I think I need something like that to realistically expect anybody to complete expert quests I would like to add to the quest book.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The morbidly curious may want to know that in RFTools could handle the tutorial dimension idea fine, it's just Lockdown as it stands is not set up to do the overworld-overriding thing I want to do. If I delete the Overworld's region file from the template directory, it will indeed create a new one, but it will resort to the settings I used to originally create the Overworld in the original save. I submitted something up on GitHub, so who knows. Apparently, Lockdown is 1.8 now. If they see the merit in what I'm trying to do, and institute a fix, I'd be still out of luck. My only recourse really would be to roll back their repository to right before the 1.8 port and try to reinstitute the same code.

I am pondering if I should compromise and not bother with honoring user-defined terrain generation. BFSR then would have the same overworld for everybody. Alternately, I don't bother with the tutorial dimension. I am waiting to see how my mumblings on the Lockdown GitHub go, but I'm open to suggestions here. I am assuming there is big value in having a tutorial dimension showing off how to do all this stuff. I mostly learned how to use all the mods in the pack previously from seeing it done on servers. Having it in front of you is a big boon. I think I need something like that to realistically expect anybody to complete expert quests I would like to add to the quest book.

I think having a Museum of Ingenuity would be a great strength to the pack, if you can manage it. But you might be overthinking this -- AE2's matter storage system, or Compact Machines, could let you make individual tutorial modules for certain mechanics, mods, or blocks. Blast Off! used the HQM to award the player with cells that contained certain things, and Obscurity does something similar with its own compact cells. Maybe you could do something with that.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Actually what we found with gravestones on a server was if you died in lava/the nether your gravestone would be either at the edge of the lava or on top of the nether above the bedrock

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Is it OK to ask for a recommendation here? Me and some friends want to play with a modpack, and want as much industry and technology as possible so that we can ravage the land and turn it into an industrial/superscience hellscape. Should we just stick with Tekkit, or is there any big new thing that's good to use?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

TheresaJayne posted:

Actually what we found with gravestones on a server was if you died in lava/the nether your gravestone would be either at the edge of the lava or on top of the nether above the bedrock

This wasn't the case in my experience. I distinctly remember getting my gravestone out from under a decent amount of lava in the Nether on a server. Not something I'd care to do again, or that I'd wish on anyone else. Judging from other deaths, I think you're referring to its tendency to slap the gravestone on the nearest horizontal surface rather than the one directly under your position when you died. Most times they're one and the same, but not always and it can really screw you over when you die in deep liquids since your death marker (if you're using map software) ends up being inaccurate.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Is it OK to ask for a recommendation here? Me and some friends want to play with a modpack, and want as much industry and technology as possible so that we can ravage the land and turn it into an industrial/superscience hellscape. Should we just stick with Tekkit, or is there any big new thing that's good to use?

There's two questions here: how good is your computer and whats the biggest modpack you are willing to play with?

I used to routinely play modpacks with 250+ mods.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
The other question is do you need it immediately or is a 1-2day wait okay and do you care about the lovely three (IC2, BC, RC)?

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

There's two questions here: how good is your computer and whats the biggest modpack you are willing to play with?

I used to routinely play modpacks with 250+ mods.

All of our computers are pretty up to snuff, we all play pretty new PC games on high settings so we're good there. In terms of amount, is there a downside to lots of mods other than it will be a more difficult experience than vanilla? I don't see any reason why lots of mods would be bad, so unless it causes tons of crashes/errors or something it sounds good to me.

I also don't need it immediately, a long wait is cool because we all want to finish another game up first before we delve into Minecraft. In terms of mods I personally care about, back when I used to play MC a couple years ago, I remember using a pack (tekkit I think?) where I had to generate electricity with solar panels, water mills, and eventually nuclear reactors, so that was kinda cool. I think that may be industrial craft? That would be my main sticking point. My friend also says he likes the mod where you could program computers to do things, if that's part of a different mod or not I couldn't say.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Playstation 4 posted:

The other question is do you need it immediately or is a 1-2day wait okay and do you care about the lovely three (IC2, BC, RC)?

Personal opinion but I think the lovely 3 are IC2/Forestry/Railcraft.

I love builcraft.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

bigperm posted:

Personal opinion but I think the lovely 3 are IC2/Forestry/Railcraft.

I love builcraft.

For what exactly, outside of the filler.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been mucking about with Regrowth for the past few days and finally got to diamonds. Unlocked the rod of shifting crusts and put down a bunch of grass everywhere and now life is finally coming back :3: I'll see about letting cows and sheep out into the wild at some point with the love flower and some minor automated farms to grow their populations.

I've never gone this deep into Botania but holy poo poo is it good. Hopper hocks have been such a timesaver for basic things like manual tree farms (still no machines) since I can just chop a 3x3 oak with the lumber axe, replant and move on. Made a sash of the sojourner and now I'm looking into whatever else it offers, I'll probably upgrade to elven lore soon as well before I head into machinery and automate my ore farms.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Playstation 4 posted:

Essentially, they haven't kept up with everything else.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Playstation 4 posted:

Buildcraft has a really nice feel to it that some of the others are lacking. Like big TE contraptions are just a series of unmoving cubes that feed into each other in a really clean way, to the point of feeling sterile. Buildcraft has this feeling, when you look at a big setup, like everything is on the verge of explosion in a kind of Industry Gone Mad way that's pretty cool.

I mean it's because everything is on the verge of explosion because of some of Buildcraft's dumber mechanics, but it's very aesthetically pleasing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
PIPE HELL is murder on Minecraft but i agree that its' also very pleasing in a warped "function before aesthetics" way.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I can't hate Railcraft ever since I discovered what it means to turn the factory module off in the config. Then it just adds a bunch of rails you can use (and craft easily, since factory module controls whether or not the rolling machine is required) and blocks that interact with carts in cool ways that don't consume any RF.

I set up an item loader at my Immersive Engineering excavator with a rail line leading back to an item unloader at my base and having the cart periodically come in with a load of ore was really cool.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

Buildcraft has a really nice feel to it that some of the others are lacking. Like big TE contraptions are just a series of unmoving cubes that feed into each other in a really clean way, to the point of feeling sterile.

I'm not sure I understand this. By TE you mean Thermal Expansion, right? Do you not use itemducts or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I think having a Museum of Ingenuity would be a great strength to the pack, if you can manage it. But you might be overthinking this -- AE2's matter storage system, or Compact Machines, could let you make individual tutorial modules for certain mechanics, mods, or blocks. Blast Off! used the HQM to award the player with cells that contained certain things, and Obscurity does something similar with its own compact cells. Maybe you could do something with that.
The one thing keeping me fixated on a dedicated secondary dimension is having a safe lobby where a new player can start and review everything. I had a few stories from very new people that they got their asses handed to them repeatedly the first night because they blew the first daylight cycle just reading the materials.