Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/11/03/introducing-unified-update-platform-uup/#Y3hbQJg2qO7ZBv91.97

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
how long until microsoft turns Windows into a platform-agnostic set of APIs and is done with it?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

url "Window Sexperience" sounds like fun

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

who cares what you call it, just make it work you fcuking nerds!!!!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I've had windows 10 running for two days and now every 5 seconds i get Windows Defender notification about being removed Spammer: Win32/Xmail. It wont stop and it's driving me crazy. I guess that's my fault for giving Edge a shot.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Will they finally use JSON rather than XML for the update package manifests?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

quote:

In the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, we added active hours and improved the control capabilities for our customers.

Who actually thinks the Anniversary changes to updates made things better? :raise:

Enterprise, maybe? Home users certainly got hosed.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What do you guys do on Win 10 pro to read apple extended storage drives?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Housh posted:

What do you guys do on Win 10 pro to read apple extended storage drives?

macdrive is the best solution if you mean read HFS+.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

macdrive is the best solution if you mean read HFS+.
Thanks! They have academic pricing too!

Forgive my ignorance but how do I turn off all the advertisement and bullshit in the start menu. I have Windows 10 Pro and thought it would be gone.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Housh posted:

Thanks! They have academic pricing too!

Forgive my ignorance but how do I turn off all the advertisement and bullshit in the start menu. I have Windows 10 Pro and thought it would be gone.

Just right click uninstall or delete on the things you don't want there, as you would for removing an unwanted start menu item in Windows 7.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Well, also this dumb poo poo:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks. I got rid of Life At A Glance and unpinned all those stupid tiles on the start menu. It's so much better now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
My audio situation got all kinds of hosed up. I have a Sound Blaster Z card, worked fine for ages. I also have a Logitech G930 headset, worked fine for ages. I needed to rearrange my USB connections physically, and the wireless receiver for the G930 was moved to the front. All of a sudden, my Soundblaster Z says, when I open it in the sound manager "Windows has detected that audio enhancements for the following device are causing problems:
Speakers (VIA HD Audio)
Would you like to disable driver enhancements for this device?"

I click no. I decided to reinstall the card's device just in case. The installer program for the SBZ says it cannot find a device on my computer. It has vanished from the device manager and isn't listed anywhere in the list of sound devices.

:gonk: All I did was move one USB device to another port. I didn't physically touch the SBZ at all. How do I fix this poo poo?

Oh of course, Windows Fast Boot is the problem, Creative, not you. :mad:

Node fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 7, 2016

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Will changing my laptops HDD (upgrading to an SSD drive) invalidate its key? I was trying a clean install thing with the old HDD through the advanced start-up menu and it failed and now it's stuck in a reboot loop and I don't really feel like installing win 10 on the drive only to have to reinstall it in a couple weeks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Danith posted:

Will changing my laptops HDD (upgrading to an SSD drive) invalidate its key? I was trying a clean install thing with the old HDD through the advanced start-up menu and it failed and now it's stuck in a reboot loop and I don't really feel like installing win 10 on the drive only to have to reinstall it in a couple weeks.

Shouldn't, as long as you've got the license for that hardware already.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Since I went from Win 10 to the Anniversary edition, I've replaced both of the main hard drives in my desktop: the SSD that I had the OS on, and the HDD I had most of my data on.

That said, my Windows 10 is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft Account.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Housh posted:

Thanks. I got rid of Life At A Glance

You can rename those sections, you know. I renamed mine with color emoji.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Just got windows 10 up and running on a computer for a non-profit I volunteer with...but haven't installed windows for about 15 years.

Do I need to have an antivirus / anti-spyware / anti-malware tool(s) installed? If so, what are the free options?

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 8, 2016

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Windows Defender is built-in, it's pretty good.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

dexter6 posted:

Just got windows 10 up and running on a computer for a non-profit I volunteer with...but haven't installed windows for about 15 years.

Do I need to have an antivirus / anti-spyware / anti-malware tool(s) installed? If so, what are the free options?

No. Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, which is probably the best anti-virus out there all around. Anti-Virus programs are ineffective at best and harmful at worst. No major security flaws have been found with Defender, which isn't anything that can be said about any of its competitors.

To protect yourself from vulnerabilities you should employ "common sense" tactics: keep your operating system and software updated, run an ad blocker (ublock origin is great and available on most browsers), use unique passwords for all of your different accounts, etc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Any ideas on why I can't connect to one of my machines at home with Remote Desktop? The machine is running Windows 10 Pro, the network is set as Home Network, it's on the same subnet, file sharing works fine. Remoting is enabled. But connecting to it with RDC from another Windows 10 Pro machine times out, whether I use the machine name or the IP address. I don't even get prompted to log in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Windows firewall?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Windows firewall?

I think that's supposed to be open when the network adapter is configured as a home network, but I'll double check it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I want to buy Windows 10 Home on USB stick from Amazon. If I do will it give me the license number immediately after I make the purchase or do I have to wait for the item to show up at my door to get the license from inside it?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Segmentation Fault posted:

No. Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, which is probably the best anti-virus out there all around. Anti-Virus programs are ineffective at best and harmful at worst. No major security flaws have been found with Defender, which isn't anything that can be said about any of its competitors.

To protect yourself from vulnerabilities you should employ "common sense" tactics: keep your operating system and software updated, run an ad blocker (ublock origin is great and available on most browsers), use unique passwords for all of your different accounts, etc.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I just flipped the switch for including online web results, and now if I toggle the switch back off it just turns itself back on.

Do I seriously have to resort to editing services or the registry for this?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Charliegrs posted:

I want to buy Windows 10 Home on USB stick from Amazon. If I do will it give me the license number immediately after I make the purchase or do I have to wait for the item to show up at my door to get the license from inside it?

Does it matter? You can install without a key and it'll run for a while. I don't remember how long but it should be long enough for Amazon to ship a USB key to you.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
FYI the neat idea that someone up-thread had to disable the windows update reboot task in task scheduler does not work. Update gives no fucks, re-enables it when it wants a reboot.

Forgot it was patch tuesday, left my pc to deal with some issues with my cat (she's very old). "Active hours" are 10am-10pm, update blitzed a reboot like 10 or 15 minutes after. Lost a bunch of work I had open. This is the second time, gently caress this poo poo. Oh, and the very important update today? Another weekly attempt to fix the goatse-like gaping anus of adobe flash. Something that MS could have avoided by not integrating it to the windows core IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I've had more lost work and hosed apps I have to troubleshoot over the last 3 months than malware has given me in 6 years. Time to do the gpedit hack to turn updates to manual only.

Any fuckos who say this is a bad idea, or that I should just change all my apps to MS ones that gracefully handle being force-quit by a reboot, can choke on my dick. Sanja Nadella can suck my balls at the same time.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I've been using it and it's been working fine for me. Are you sure you disabled the Reboot task under the UpdateOrchestrator tab and not something under the WindowsUpdate tab?

See this guide to double check and make sure you're not missing anything. I just used the first hit on Google but it looks to be approximately what I did originally.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

isndl posted:

I've been using it and it's been working fine for me. Are you sure you disabled the Reboot task under the UpdateOrchestrator tab and not something under the WindowsUpdate tab?

See this guide to double check and make sure you're not missing anything. I just used the first hit on Google but it looks to be approximately what I did originally.

Aha! I just did the first part, disabling the task in scheduler. Hacking ownership and permissions on the file wasn't in the instructions yet.

(I think I got it here which you can see updated after "users report that Windows 10 is able to re-enable this task automatically". I think the ghacks fix is better than theirs though.)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Does file explorer have tabbed browsing yet?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have to tell about 5-10 people a DAY to reboot holding shift to fix whatever Windows 10 suspend fuckups are going on. Drives me loving crazy. Thanks MS!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey so I have a question about a bug from a while ago where Java just plain didn't work in the Bash shell

It's been fixed in Insider builds, but hasn't made its way to non-Insider builds yet AFAIK. Can any Insiders ITT tell me whether it's in the slow ring yet? I wanna be able to actually use the Bash shell for stuff on my work computer but I don't want my work computer to reboot like twice a week.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I updated two PCs today with the latest Windows 10 cumulative update (Nov 8th).

The one PC (laptop, Windows 10 Home x64) was updated fine and after restart was working without issues.

The other PC (desktop, Windows 10 Pro x64), installed the updates, restarted and was unable to properly configure an IP for the LAN interface (Intel drivers), neither by DHCP, nor by manually setting. It kept showing as "unidentified network" and had no access to the router (nor of course the Internet). Interestingly enough, the router web interface (accessed from my laptop) would show the desktop PC as connected and with the proper IP (either a DHCP assigned or the manual that I had entered via the botched Windows 10 desktop)

After an hour of restarts, uninstalling drivers and trying different ones including the Windows default ones, disconnecting and reconnecting cables, it was finally fixed by resetting the router (there was actually firmware update pending for my router, so I did that and after the subsequent reset, the desktop starting working ok).

Still not something that should have happened -- and I don't recall it happening before after an update...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redeyes posted:

I have to tell about 5-10 people a DAY to reboot holding shift to fix whatever Windows 10 suspend fuckups are going on. Drives me loving crazy. Thanks MS!

What does shift do?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

PerrineClostermann posted:

What does shift do?

If you hold it down while clicking Restart, it brings up the Advanced Startup menu. This obviously has nothing to do with suspend.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Double Punctuation posted:

If you hold it down while clicking Restart, it brings up the Advanced Startup menu. This obviously has nothing to do with suspend.

I think the idea is that you can choose to boot into safe mode or recovery console in order to fix any inconsistencies or corruption (?) that W10 suspend may have caused. .

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

loquacius posted:

Hey so I have a question about a bug from a while ago where Java just plain didn't work in the Bash shell

It's been fixed in Insider builds, but hasn't made its way to non-Insider builds yet AFAIK. Can any Insiders ITT tell me whether it's in the slow ring yet? I wanna be able to actually use the Bash shell for stuff on my work computer but I don't want my work computer to reboot like twice a week.

What happened when you tired it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tell me someone has come up with a dependable solution to the Windows 10 upgrade slowing to a halt once it gets to about 80% and above