Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So I guess we're all ignoring those Freedom Fighter reboots that came out a few years ago. Which is good, because they really sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Doublepostin' that The Ray, Vixen, Atom, and Killer Frost will join Justice League of America in January.

So I guess this means the Ray will be showing up on Legends of Tomorrow.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Oh poopy. I was hoping it would be Ray Palmer Atom.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Ray is the only one of those characters I know nothing about.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Roth posted:

The Ray is the only one of those characters I know nothing about.

sick rear end helmet

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ivan Reis doing JLA is a bummer. He was good as one of Geoff Johns' main dudes, but I'd love if the new series looked totally new and not so meat n' potatoes.

BrianWilly posted:

I only know Orlando through the Monster Men stuff

Check out Midnighter. The best thing out of the DCYou era that wasn't Prez or Omega Men. The follow-up Midnighter/Apollo miniseries starts this week and e'ryones pumped as hell :)

More news is that the Kamandi Challenge is dated for Jack Kirby's 100th birthday, which would be August next year.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/03/kamandi-challenge-jack-kirby-100th/
With some early art from Dale Eaglesham, Ivan Reis and Neal Adams

Since it's a 12 issue (and presumably monthly) thing, hopefully it doesn't need to wait until August to kick off.
That's too long away :(

e: drat. Today's a big news day.
http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-boom-teams-with-dc-for-planet-of-the-apesgreen-lantern-series/

quote:

BOOM! Studios and DC Comics will team up again, and CBR has the first details. A six-issue “Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern” miniseries is slated to debut in February 2017, and here’s a look at a teaser image announcing the story:

At this point, those are the only details yet available on the miniseries — the reveal of the creative team and cover artists is slated for after New York Comic Con, near the next cycle of monthly publisher solicitation information.
This won’t be the first time DC’s Green Lantern has crossed over with another famous sci-fi franchise from the annals of pop culture — last year, IDW Publishing teamed with DC for “Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War,” with a sequel currently in the works. This year, BOOM! Studios and DC Comics collaborated on the currently unfolding “Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy” miniseries.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 4, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

So I guess this means the Ray will be showing up on Legends of Tomorrow.

I think he's getting his own gay cartoon series or something.

Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern seems fitting. Always saw Hal as a Charlton Heston type.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Warren Ellis to spin Wildstorm off into an imprint in February.
http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/10/04/...campaign=buffer

quote:

Warren Ellis will return to DC, to work on some of the characters that made him a household name among comic book fans, as the curator of a new pop-up imprint called WildStorm, ComicBook.com has learned exclusively.

Following on the heels of the success of Gerard Way's Young Animal imprint, WildStorm will take a similar approach, with Ellis writing the "main" book and curating the others.

WildStorm will debut mid-February 2017 with a regular monthly comic titled The Wild Storm, written by Ellis with art by Jon Davis-Hunt (Vertigo’s Clean Room). This ongoing series will reset the known WildStorm universe and introduce new iterations of WildStorm characters such as Grifter, Voodoo, The Engineer, Jenny Sparks and others.

"After long reflection, I couldn't turn down the invitation to renovate the house that Jim Lee built, and refit its unique combination of cosmic paranoia and paramilitary conspiracy for the post-political space madness of the twenty-teens,” said Ellis. “Looking back to look forward."

THE WILD STORM will serve as a launching pad for several future series: Michael Cray, WildC.A.T.S. and Zealot. No creative team announcements have yet been made for those books.

“There are precious few visionaries in our business and fewer still like Warren who can elevate mythos with both stylistic panache and idiosyncratic spectacle. His work at WildStorm remains the tone which best defines and reflects the WildStorm Universe,” said DC Publisher Jim Lee. “I know I speak for WildStorm fans the world over when I say I can’t wait to see what Warren and Jon have in store for fans in February!”

The original WildStorm imprint started up at Image Comics under Lee, who was one of that company's seven founders. Launched in 1992, the imprint churned out a series of best-sellers during the boom of the '90s. After dipping his toes back into the Marvel waters with Heroes Reborn, Lee decided that he would rather be an artist tan a publisher and sold WildStorm and its properties to DC Comics in 1999. Lee has worked exclusively for DC since, and currently (ironically) serves as one of their two publishers.

Other WildStorm titles not included in this announcement include Wetworks, Gen 13, and StormWatch. StormWatch is one of the few WildStorm titles (along with Grifter and Voodoo) to have been given a chance in 2011's The New 52 relaunch. A Midnighter series was recently published at DC, to great critical acclaim but low sales. Its cancellation was quickly followed by the announcement that Midnighter writer Steve Orlando will write a Midnighter and Apollo miniseries for the publisher.

More information on the new imprint will be revealed on the “Meet the Publishers” panel at New York Comic Con on Saturday, October 8 from 4pm-5pm Eastern Time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I loved Ellis' Authority, so I am super down for this.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Featuring Dante from Devil May Cry series

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Grifter: "I need an outfit that fully obstructs my peripheral vision as well as my hearing, while also making me easier to see in pretty much every situation."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'll be bummed if they're spit back out of DC continuity because Dick Grayson's butt is an integral part of Midnighter's story.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm glad DC is bringing back that one guy from Silverhawks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tony Snark

quote:

The Young Grey Lady

quote:

Red Hoodie

quote:

Come On, That's Literally Just That Guy From Revengeance

quote:

Jacob (Mass Effect 2)

quote:

Artist Promised His Girlfriend "I'll Make You A Superhero, Babe, I Swear"

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm down. I should hunt down more Authority, only got to read a couple arcs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I firmly believe this is 100% true.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tony Snark

The Young Grey Lady

Red Hoodie

Jacob (Mass Effect 2)

I wish I could Like posts here.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like if Pharah from Overwatch was a real big fan of Bladewolf, to be a bit more specific.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unfortunately when I hear "Warren Ellis is doing X" in 2016 I have to ignore it. It'll either never happen or it'll take years to happen.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Tony Snark

The Young Grey Lady

Red Hoodie

Jacob (Mass Effect 2)

The question for this day and age is what one is the LGBT character.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hope it's all of them.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

I guess Dr. Manhattan decided to separate the Wildstorm universe from the DC universe.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I guess Dr. Manhattan decided to separate the Wildstorm universe from the DC universe.

It's funny how that was such a big part of the N52 launch. Grifter! Voodoo! Wow! :geno:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A big part of the end of Flashpoint was Wildstorm getting merged with the DCU.

It's entirely possible that the imprint is still part of the greater DCU.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

X-O posted:

Unfortunately when I hear "Warren Ellis is doing X" in 2016 I have to ignore it. It'll either never happen or it'll take years to happen.

Thats been the case since at least 2003.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

BrianWilly posted:

Doublepostin' that The Ray, Vixen, Atom, and Killer Frost will join Justice League of America in January.

I only know Orlando through the Monster Men stuff and one single issue of Supergirl, but something tells me that this book could very likely be better than the current Justice League, at least.

The only thing that irks me (barely) is them throwing in this Suicide Squad event half a year after the movie comes out. Wouldn't all the hype have died down by then? Way to coordinate, guys.

It's coinciding with the blu-ray release and the new series just launched when the movie was in theaters. JESUS

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Young Animal is still on the far fringe of DC, I imagine this is still the case with Wildstorm and by "resetting the universe" they meant basically cutting ties with garbage like the New 52 runs of Voodoo, Grifter, and poo poo.

The alternative is that Midnighter and Apollo are strictly contained to the DC Universe while the rest of WS isn't and that seems really stupid even for DC.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 5, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, white haired lady in the long coat is Warren's stand-in in this group, right?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Semper Fudge posted:

Young Animal is still on the far fringe of DC, I imagine this is still the case with Wildstorm and by "resetting the universe" they meant basically cutting ties with garbage like the New 52 runs of Voodoo, Grifter, and poo poo.

The alternative is that Midnighter and Apollo are strictly contained to the DC Universe while the rest of WS isn't and that seems really stupid even for DC.

I think here will be two versions of the characters. The new 52 versions who will remain in the DCU and this reboot on another earth. Kind of like how Ellis's New Universe was different from the New Universe characters in Hickman's Avengers run that we're in the regular MCU.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
red coat lady is zealot and robot person is the engineer

that's some extreme redesigning

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anime robot > naked metal cybergoth

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anime robot > naked metal cybergoth > having your blood system replaced with a meth addict's

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Miller's run was so weird and full of creepy dark poo poo like That Entire Arc, and yet, I still can't call it "bad" per say. It was full of nearly as many neat moments as lovely 2edgy ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The proper way to read the Authority is to stop when you run out of issues written by Ellis.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

The proper way to read the Authority is to stop when you run out of issues written by Ellis.

Everything was good up until Revolution. I'd say it goes Morrison>Ellis>Millar>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I need this on my desk to always remember robobatbunnyjim happened.
https://twitter.com/HardingArt/status/783386392604860416

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What a minor footnote that turned out to be. Awesome action figure though. Now I kind of miss it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yo. Don't buy Shade today, and you're dumb as hell. Amazing.

Someone tell us how He-Man v Thundercats was :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yo. Don't buy Shade today, and you're dumb as hell. Amazing.

Someone tell us how He-Man v Thundercats was :)

Also read Superman. It's amazing and poor losers :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Shade was really good, loved the art. The story felt a bit light to me, was a very quick read, but I'm still onboard for now.

Superman was great. Really really good and the best that an ongoing Supes book .has been for a long long time.

Still got that Deadman thing to read but I have high hopes