Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

piL posted:

I don't mean to say that I agree with the calculus, but in the 90s when they came up with it, people were looking at 40 years of warplans that assume 24 mi bombardment, not 13. Those 11 miles is the difference between ground troops fighting with support ending just outside of downtown LA (congrats on occupying Inglewood) vice support ending just outside of Anaheim (who wants Anaheim anyway).

I think 24 to 13 itself was enough to cause people to throw money at the problem, but there's also a fundamental difference between a missile and a shell when it comes to denial. A quarter inch fragment of anti-air artillery or missile (e.g. RAM) is a mission kill to a cruise missle; it's a rounding error to a 1 ton+ shell. This means that a denial strategy's probability of kill vice TLAM is higher than with a normal shell. I suspect that calculus is altered once you add rocket boosters and stabilizer fins to the payload, but that's probably after the initial motivation to pursue the technology.

My point is that bombardment has a quality independent of its own distinct from precision strike that affects what options a commander has. The program may have failed to meet requirements and those requirements may have been doomed from the start, but the answer isn't as simple as, 'tomahawks do the same job but better further', and I'm mostly trying to defend that maintaining bombardment capability after decomming big guns isn't just some absurd failure of our senior military analysts to recognize that missiles exist.

So.....bring back battleships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

So.....bring back battleships?

But with rail guns.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
More like

So...your ignorant of things like the JASM

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Sure you're right,my bad.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I think it's too bad we can't use our words

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
16" guns loving own. But have been out of date for effectiveness since like 44.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Maybe just build a new class with new bigger guns and not attach a million requirements that make it a cluster gently caress like the Zumwalt.

We'll call it a heavy cruiser, to keep people from trying to make it a battleship.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CMD598 posted:

Maybe just build a new class with new bigger guns and not attach a million requirements that make it a cluster gently caress like the Zumwalt.

We'll call it a heavy cruiser, to keep people from trying to make it a battleship.

:golfclap:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"It's as big as a battleship, but thanks to extensive automation, it's crewed by fewer men then an OHP! What's that? No, I've never been a sailor, but I've got three Ph.Ds in engineering, so...yeah."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CMD598 posted:

You don't seem to have been paying attention to procurements over the last couple decades.

Or I'm missing a joke here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

You don't seem to have been paying attention to procurements over the last couple decades.

Or I'm missing a joke here.

^^^
People will just call it a pocket battleship.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

CMD598 posted:

Instructions unclear, given Lockheed 50 billion dollars to make a one-off Navy super omni-ship.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
If we drain the seas we will weaken Mother Earth's war on success while simultaneously providing a force multiplaier for our convention ground forces!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What if instead of having a two ocean navy, we had a two ships navy, one on each ocean? Think of all the money we’d save.

Basically it would have to be a submersible aircraft carrier that can do 50 knots and has AEGIS.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

What if instead of having a two ocean navy, we had a two ships navy, one on each ocean? Think of all the money we’d save.

Basically it would have to be a submersible aircraft carrier that can do 50 knots and has AEGIS.

:flashfap: Lockheed :gizz:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

FrozenVent posted:

I'm not saying we should throw away billions of dollars at boondoggle projects, all I'm saying is Ace Combat/ Metal Gear over the top combat vehicles are our nations military workhorses of the future.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nuclear powered flying wing that is also an aircraft carrier. Make sure you design it so all Depot level maintenance can be completed in the air because once it’s up it only lands when it’s out of fuel or dying.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

Laranzu posted:

:flashfap: Lockheed :gizz:

Unfortunately they're one of the more competent contractors out there when it comes to making a functional product. Not meant to be high praise.

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 10, 2018

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

M_Gargantua posted:

THe issue there is that you have a completely wrong cost per effect measure.

Modern PGMs are close enough to a 1:1 body per bomb floor. If a pgm costs a million but is guarenteed to kill at least the single personn it’s aimed at the its still close to 3x as cost effective as mass bombardment of an area where you think hostiles are. There is always the vague and unquantifiable value of morale loss to enemy infantry from constant unguided bombardment but I’ll leabs that as an exercise for the Airpower thread. Per your example even classic 16” guns aren’t nearly as cost effective as modern munitions.

Another way to think of it is that if a pgm takes out a bunker or a tank or a single infantryman it was worth it because of the guaranteed kill without accidental collateral.

piL posted:

My point is that bombardment has a quality independent of its own distinct from precision strike that affects what options a commander has. The program may have failed to meet requirements and those requirements may have been doomed from the start, but the answer isn't as simple as, 'tomahawks do the same job but better further', and I'm mostly trying to defend that maintaining bombardment capability after decomming big guns isn't just some absurd failure of our senior military analysts to recognize that missiles exist.

A large part of it is the desire for diversification of land attack capabilities. Munitions are (theoretically at least) a more difficult air defense problem then TLAMs. Being able to mix strike ordinance salvos to create favorable exchange rates is important especially with the rise of both sophisticated IADS and coastal ASCMs in a congested littoral environment.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

What's preventing the US from putting an MLRS launcher and a stack of reloads on the deck of an AOE and using that for shore bombardment? Have an AEGIS air-defense picket ship nearby to protect that asset, and win?

Take something like a Nansen-class Frigate or that Spanish AEGIS frigate, load it with AA/ASW in the VLS, then have it protect the modern-day bomb ketch.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So one of my college friends just reached out to me to let me know shes going to OCS in January on a SWO package. Trying to ask in as nice in as way possible of shes really really really sure she wants to do that/see if her intel application didnt go through.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So one of my college friends just reached out to me to let me know shes going to OCS in January on a SWO package. Trying to ask in as nice in as way possible of shes really really really sure she wants to do that/see if her intel application didnt go through.

My female friend got raped two nights in a row last year at OCS and her wife got raped a month later.

She tried to commit suicide.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

My female friend got raped two nights in a row last year at OCS and her wife got raped a month later.

She tried to commit suicide.

:stare: What....the...gently caress?!?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

:stare: What....the...gently caress?!?

Yeah. She left the service after but her Marine wife stayed in. Her wife played it off as no big deal that’s just part of the life and started mentally and physically abusing her (tossing dishes at her). poo poo got crazy abusive and she’s in the process of getting a divorce. Last I talked to her she refused to report her wife for the physical stuff because she has possession of her dog and threatened stuff.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Jesus gently caress, I hope your friend will be able to get the help they need. Did they at least throw the book at the rear end in a top hat who did that to her?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Jesus gently caress, I hope your friend will be able to get the help they need. Did they at least throw the book at the rear end in a top hat who did that to her?

Look into your Navy heart and you'll find the answer

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

She got an honorable medical discharge. It was a dude the first night when she was drinking and the second night after she reported to medical for feeling bad (not rape), they sent her back to her room and a friend of the first guy got her.
She believes the second happened because she didn’t report it right away (possible because she was still affected by alcohol).

None of this is normal but she wouldn’t be the first women I personally knew who got raped in the service.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

LingcodKilla posted:

She got an honorable medical discharge. It was a dude the first night when she was drinking and the second night after she reported to medical for feeling bad (not rape), they sent her back to her room and a friend of the first guy got her.
She believes the second happened because she didn’t report it right away (possible because she was still affected by alcohol).

None of this is normal but she wouldn’t be the first women I personally knew who got raped in the service.

Yeah, I've been watching a little apprehensively as they've started opening up the subs to female enlisted. A boomer is big enough that it's not too hard to work out berthing but I don't know how they intend to make a Virginia work.

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 11, 2018

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Current subs are designed around never needing to have separate private areas. To do it right they need to build a boat with that in mind. I'm sure they could modify a new construction virginia for it but would the navy wana pay?

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

ded posted:

Current subs are designed around never needing to have separate private areas. To do it right they need to build a boat with that in mind. I'm sure they could modify a new construction virginia for it but would the navy wana pay?

They already are. That's in the works for block V. There's enough separate berthing spaces that they could designate a 12 man, I just don't know what they do with the heads or how they are going to handle berthing in torpedo. I guess restrict that to male sailors? :shrug:

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 11, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Unisex bathrooms and mutal respect? I didn't regularly see my shipmates naked. People are so far into everyone else's poo poo on submarines that I wouldn't think it'd be that big of a problem

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
There have been women on submarines for like seven years now, Virginias for five years, female enlisted for three years. You put a reversible male/female sign on the shower doors and you don't go in the changing space if there's someone else in there. You require everyone to wear a t-shirt and shorts at minimum when they leave their berthing space. That's it. All modesty problems are now solved. Even on an all-male sub there's really no reason to ever see anyone else in less than a t-shirt and shorts outside of your berthing space. This is like #87 on the list of most difficult problems facing the submarine force.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 11, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
To celebrate a wildly successful job our CO said that uniform requirements were completely relaxed for the next three watch rotations, wear whatever you want

Some people just tossed on jeans and a tshirt, and it was a very comfy watch in maneuvering.

One guy walked around ERLL in nothing but a comicly overstocked utility belt and said he was tarzan

Another wore exactly one sock

Submarine life is weird and I'm sure its equally weird and cringeworthy even with girls on board. There just haven't been to many reported incidents, because I don't doubt those incidents have happened.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sock cock?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
No. Cock Sock.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Cerekk posted:

There have been women on submarines for like seven years now, Virginias for five years, female enlisted for three years. You put a reversible male/female sign on the shower doors and you don't go in the changing space if there's someone else in there. You require everyone to wear a t-shirt and shorts at minimum when they leave their berthing space. That's it. All modesty problems are now solved. Even on an all-male sub there's really no reason to ever see anyone else in less than a t-shirt and shorts outside of your berthing space. This is like #87 on the list of most difficult problems facing the submarine force.

There's a world of difference between female officers and female enlisted and a world of difference between life on a boomer and life on a fast attack. To be clear, I'm not arguing against women on subs. I think they absolutely should be. I know some of those women. I'm saying that a reversible sign and segregated berthing spaces don't magically solve those problems. In those years there's already been issues, those numbnuts on the Wyoming being one of the ones that actually got reported on. There's been others that never made it past the CO. If the Navy is serious about fully integrating subs, I think they need to be better prepared to handle these situations than they have been. *shrugs*

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 11, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

No. Cock Sock.

No cock? Sock!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

BedBuglet posted:

There's a world of difference between female officers and female enlisted and a world of difference between life on a boomer and life on a fast attack. To be clear, I'm not arguing against women on subs. I think they absolutely should be. I know some of those women. I'm saying that a reversible sign and segregated berthing spaces don't magically solve those problems. In those years there's already been issues, those numbnuts on the Wyoming being one of the ones that actually got reported on. There's been others that never made it past the CO. If the Navy is serious about fully integrating subs, I think they need to be better prepared to handle these situations than they have been. *shrugs*

The Wyoming incident was hardly a problem with women on submarines, it was a problem with criminal behavior by men on submarines.

The modesty challenges are already solved and it wasn't hard. Everything else is discipline and professionalism. The fast attacks will find they are still able to operate effectively despite the arduous burden of no longer being able to wander the engine room in a cock sock.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's fun to see the same arguments that were tossed out for integrating small boys getting tossed out for submarines. I was on the last all-male DDG and on the most integrated DDG in the fleet. There really isn't a problem with women serving on any size ship.

Anyone who has the uncontrollable urge to assault a woman just because they've been underway for a few days shouldn't be in the service to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's fun to see the same arguments that were tossed out for integrating small boys getting tossed out for submarines. I was on the last all-male DDG and on the most integrated DDG in the fleet. There really isn't a problem with women serving on any size ship.

Anyone who has the uncontrollable urge to assault a woman just because they've been underway for a few days shouldn't be in the service to begin with.

Pretty much this. Fraternization between sexes on ship will happen because people are human beings as much as you would like to suppress it in the military, and people who get caught will be nailed to the wall, but harassment and assault can get the gently caress out, and anyone who perpetuates that should be punished extremely harshly.

I imagine its a lot harder to find a spot on a sub to hide to have a screw than it is on a skimmer though, so fraternization may not be as big of a problem on a sub, though people who commit assault don't really seem to give a poo poo about privacy.