Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Nobody even plays Leovold right now, but I agree that is it's a stupid, stupid card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

suicidesteve posted:

Nobody even plays Leovold right now, but I agree that is it's a stupid, stupid card.

I haven't played Legacy in like a month. I only really played on XMage but I got really loving bored of playing against Jace, Leovold, Force, Deathrite BUG decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sam Stoddard is going to stop writing Latest Developments articles and Melissa DeTora is going to start writing them in 2 weeks. It's a nice change; Stoddard's been doing a bit better for the last couple of months imo but most of his articles have felt pretty perfunctory and sometimes inaccurate

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

The common theme I think here is Standard is fun when you can play 3+ colors and not have a slow deck and pre-turn 5 combo decks don't exist

The common theme is actually that when the best cards are clunky midrange creatures, the format is good, because there's just a lot of different ways to attack midrange decks. This tends to occur during heavy multicolor formats because multicolor sets are midrangey by nature. Whereas if the best cards are combo cards (or aggro cards with a narrow set of answers like, say, vehicles) then you get forced into much more specific colors/archetypes that either play those cards or have the right answers.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Elyv posted:

Sam Stoddard is going to stop writing Latest Developments articles and Melissa DeTora is going to start writing them in 2 weeks. It's a nice change; Stoddard's been doing a bit better for the last couple of months imo but most of his articles have felt pretty perfunctory and sometimes inaccurate

I think it's a good move because it's a lot like proofreading your own paper, you see what you want to see.

e:

Tales of Woe posted:

The common theme is actually that when the best cards are clunky midrange creatures, the format is good, because there's just a lot of different ways to attack midrange decks. This tends to occur during heavy multicolor formats because multicolor sets are midrangey by nature. Whereas if the best cards are combo cards (or aggro cards with a narrow set of answers like, say, vehicles) then you get forced into much more specific colors/archetypes that either play those cards or have the right answers.

Not wrong but it still has roots in "choices with consequences". When you don't have to make tradeoffs in construction the best deck is simply a straight upgrade to all other decks. Like Siege Rhino decks may have been the best but they also had poor matchups because they didn't have access to the best midrange creatures and to the best counterspells.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 9, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tales of Woe posted:

Smart move. People don't really agree a lot with sam lately on the way dev has been going and its better to push that off to someone who doesn't really have much of a say in these things.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think it's a good move because it's a lot like proofreading your own paper, you see what you want to see.

I mean, I don't know what, if any, changes this causes behind the scenes; I just don't think Sam is a very good writer.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Elyv posted:

I mean, I don't know what, if any, changes this causes behind the scenes; I just don't think Sam is a very good writer.

Isn't DeTora on the new format playtesting team?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

DariusLikewise posted:

When was the last time Standard was good?

No matter what anyone says, this is the correct answer

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ivan-flochs-m15-winning-control-deck/

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 9, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dadaism is dead

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

Theros/M15/KTK

I've posted this before, but http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8770&f=ST

All these decks were really good.

Real Talk: Temur Knucks was one of my favorite decks of all time. Savage Knuckleblade, you were too pure for this earth.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tales of Woe posted:

People seem to think it's gonna be some sort of core set returning since there were questions about that on one of the recent market research surveys. I wouldn't be surprised to see the spring block be replaced with a core set and a standalone large 'return to ___' set, with the fall/winter sets continuing to be new plane blocks.

This would be smart since it would allow WOTC to print out of flavor/lore staples that dont fit the current storylines and perennial utility cards that can function as answers to stuff that pops up in the marquee fall/winter blocks. Also takes care of the nostalgia itch and gives WOTC some flexibility in responding to player reactions to different events or metagame shifts.

So of course there's no way this will happen without them loving it up horrendously some sort of way.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
How are they going to fix the core set problem that got them into doing 2 blocks per year though

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If I had to guess, we won't get yearly core sets in the M** style, but something more like Magic Origins printed once per rotation cycle so that there's a set not tied to one specific plane that can hold reprints more easily.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

Real Talk: Temur Knucks was one of my favorite decks of all time. Savage Knuckleblade, you were too pure for this earth.

That deck pretty quickly became straight up RG beats though, the blue became too stupid to try to manage. I was hardcore into Temur/RG monster decks throughout that standard (also the only standard I really ever played).

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

A core style set to try and balance standard without the constraints they have imposed on card design in new sets is a good idea, like we did for the first 15 years of magics existence.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

dragon enthusiast posted:

How are they going to fix the core set problem that got them into doing 2 blocks per year though

The core set problem was it didn't sell. When people quit buying poo poo because standard sucks, it makes the core set more worthwhile to the business.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ShaneB posted:

That deck pretty quickly became straight up RG beats though, the blue became too stupid to try to manage. I was hardcore into Temur/RG monster decks throughout that standard (also the only standard I really ever played).

Stubborn Denial was too good to omit blue in a standard that had really good mana fixing. I mean, Sylvan Caryatid was still legal.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
sam blatantly lied about the results of a poll he ran about standards so im happy with him never writing again

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mandatory lesbian posted:

sam blatantly lied about the results of a poll he ran about standards so im happy with him never writing again

Finally justice for destroying the sanctity of the twitter poll regarding card game with dragons.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol at everyone cheering the deicison to have someone else write articles, as if not wanting to publicly poo poo on your co-workers, bosses, and shareholders for no real benefit was an emotion unique to Sam Stoddard

Pontius Pilate posted:

Finally justice for destroying the sanctity of the twitter poll regarding card game with dragons.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

DeTora seems like a cool person, I'm happy she got the job. :shobon:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Me? I only use my care credits at maximum efficiency. Any amount of care misapplied will mess up my attempt to min-max my life.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Stubborn Denial was too good to omit blue in a standard that had really good mana fixing. I mean, Sylvan Caryatid was still legal.

RG took over from temur though. The results weren't there. Even kibler (who was still playing and refining monster builds through that entire standard) gave up on temur after awhile.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
They're going to run with the idea of welcome decks and print a non randomized product that contains a small "core set" of staple cards (Pithing Needle, Hero's Downfall, etc) that you can just go buy LCG style but that still rotates with expansions

Calling it now

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

sit on my Facebook posted:

They're going to run with the idea of welcome decks and print a non randomized product that contains a small "core set" of staple cards (Pithing Needle, Hero's Downfall, etc) that you can just go buy LCG style but that still rotates with expansions

Calling it now

This would be a good thing so they're obviously not going to do it.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

They're going to make Lightning Bolt evergreen.

edit: I'm just kidding, but I wouldn't mind seeing it back in rotation for a while. Not saying we should always have it, but also not that we should never have it.

Same for like Doom Blade, Counterspell, etc.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 9, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's just going to be a big article about the new playtest team.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

i mean he based an article off it so i'm only treating it as seriously as he did

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I fully expect tuedsday to be no changes anywhere for the B&R. I fully expect to laugh at how bad digital next is.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I wonder, would it help or hurt sales of a core set if there were functional reprints of staples. Everyone has a million Llanowar Elves, but what about if everything was similar to Elvish Mystic?

I really like the idea of a LCG small box of answers that you rotate per year/'season'. You can still tweak the format and sell different boxes if you want players to play Shock over Lightning Bolt or Tormod's Crypt over Relic of Progenitus one year, and you entice the players to buy boxes after their first instead of letting them languish on your shelves.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

RG took over from temur though. The results weren't there. Even kibler (who was still playing and refining monster builds through that entire standard) gave up on temur after awhile.

Yeah I said it was my favorite of that standard, not that it was the best. Big Knucks was a cool card and I loved it.

As for my favorit le deck that was secretly the best deck that was INN-RAV standard g/b predator ooze fight bear aggro. Brian Kiboer agrees

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I miss big knux.

Still confused to why it was an Ogre and not a Yeti, though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

St0rmD posted:

They're going to make Lightning Bolt evergreen.

edit: I'm just kidding, but I wouldn't mind seeing it back in rotation for a while. Not saying we should always have it, but also not that we should never have it.

Same for like Doom Blade, Counterspell, etc.

I mean, last I saw Maro said Lightning Bolt is a "2" on the Storm Scale. It's going to come back to Standard at some point, they just build Standard around Lightning Bolt when they do bring it back (because it makes people excited).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, last I saw Maro said Lightning Bolt is a "2" on the Storm Scale. It's going to come back to Standard at some point, they just build Standard around Lightning Bolt when they do bring it back (because it makes people excited).

I'm excited just thinking about it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I liked that deck, but a control deck with only 6 maindeck counterspells is so depressing.

Basically what I'm saying is bring back Sonic Boom.

DariusLikewise posted:

The common theme I think here is Standard is fun when you can play 3+ colors and not have a slow deck and pre-turn 5 combo decks don't exist

I sort of agree, but I think slow standard formats are much better than fast ones. Fast combo decks can also be fine as long as they require a significant investment to go off early and there is sufficient interaction for them - Good examples are Project X and Dragonstorm from RAV/TSP standard.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 9, 2017

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Star Man posted:

They will not have changes to the banlists for Modern and Legacy take effect until after GP Las Vegas.

Good!

Tales of Woe posted:

Vegas is Legacy/Limited/Modern, there's no Standard main event.

Good!

ThePeavstenator posted:

If they arbitrarily decide that Death's Shadow decks need to die they'll ban Street Wraith and pretend like it's the exact same thing as Gitaxian Probe. Storm could also be in the crosshairs because every time someone casts Grapeshot for lethal the timed explosives implanted at the base of every WotC employee's skull ticks down an extra 5 seconds but banning Grapeshot means they just immediately go off.
I feel like death's shadow just isn't that ban worthy, it's not some metagame dominating force that is crushing everyone nor is it really doing anything all that busted. It's a good deck that grinds well. Storm getting a ban at this stage would be hilarious

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

I miss big knux.

Still confused to why it was an Ogre and not a Yeti, though.

Because yeti aren't ogrewelming enough.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Because yeti aren't ogrewelming enough.

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

Calling it now

I mean they can already include whatever spells they want in the intro decks and make something standard legal without ruining a set's 'flavor' or wtf they they the issue is with including cards to help mitigate their mistakes. There's no excuse for not having any of these type of cards other than loving up.