Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

PostNouveau posted:

It was pretty bad. They hired a black woman to overhaul the journalism department, then right-wingers threw a shitfit about DEI or whatever, so A&M reneged on her offer and told her she could be at-will probationary head of the department for one year. The prospect turned them down and took it to the media.

:hehe: me reading this.
(Happy at the fallout, not the poo poo situation that lady had to deal with)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
the new guy's a former head of the Bush School, which on the one hand suggests he's competent, but on the other hand is probably not this forum's favorite TAMU department

The Bananana posted:

:hehe: me reading this.
(Happy at the fallout, not the poo poo situation that lady had to deal with)

there was a minor-to-middling faculty revolt at the administration 1) buckling to shithead pressure and 2) doing so in a hilariously mismanaged way

tbc i back the faculty revolt here

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
Texas A&M President Resigns Amid Fallout Over Journalism Program https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/21/us/texas-a-m-president-resigns.html?smid=nytcore-android-share

quote:

“Apparently, no one knows who made the offer, no one knows how many offers were made, nobody knows who signed which offer, and nobody knows who read or wrote those offers,” said Raymundo Arróyave, an engineering professor. “Frankly, we look incompetent.”

lmao

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yet another cool thing to happen at the prestigious Texas A&M University

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Yet another cool thing to happen at the prestigious Texas A&M University

Hey, man, they reject 1/3 of all the red necks who apply.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/BobbyBeltTX/status/1682248754533990400

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Jake Gittes posted:

this is like some sort of reverse affirmative action where the new tamu president is guaranteed to be an old white dude

She was pretty conservative and got a lot of pushback for it - she cancelled the drag show, shut down the school newspaper for being to lib, refused to honor the hiring of the jounrnalism professor etc...

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

This is wholesome and excellent. My mother approved.

A&M gives me the impression that even if you individually are moderate or liberal and can make liberal/leftist friends, institutionally it's the most frustrating public college to interact with when something becomes a culture war issue.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXuc7SAyk2s

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of hell in McKinney

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1682483843587006467

All Democrats must recuse!

I guess Buzbee's strategy to get around the gag order is to just file a whole bunch of frivolous motions. I believe that Patrick is the final word on all of this, I doubt he'll go for it. Weird that his best bud Steve "Goatze" Hotze is going this route, maybe a rift has developed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anyone who doesn't support me should not be allowed to determine my guilt/innocence, or else they will be biased

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like trying to equate being married to the goddamn guy is the same as some kind of partisan bias.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

PostNouveau posted:

It was pretty bad. They hired a black woman to overhaul the journalism department, then right-wingers threw a shitfit about DEI or whatever, so A&M reneged on her offer and told her she could be at-will probationary head of the department for one year. The prospect turned them down and took it to the media.

Love when the libs give up immediately

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

Like trying to equate being married to the goddamn guy is the same as some kind of partisan bias.

She's not as insane as Ginny Thomas right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

She's not as insane as Ginny Thomas right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58fL8UAr3xU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what coens movie is that from

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sir Tonk posted:

Love when the libs give up immediately

Elaborate

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I believe the 'libs' are meant to be the people at A&M who reneged on the offer at the first sign of disagreement

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ive given up on a&m... its cancelled now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a&m...do better

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Man how hot are those deals at the new mckinney heb

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Democratic Pirate posted:

nobody goes there

it's too crowded

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's crazy going from a far-flung suburban heb to an affluent urban one. everything is 25% more expensive with half the selection and literally nothing is on sale. i yearn to touch yellow paper and alas

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The best HEB is the Montrose one in Houston. This is not debatable really.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

parking there is godawful, i miss living close enough to walk/bike there

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If the actual store is as good as the marinated meats and refried beans, I’m jealous that Houston has mi tiendas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

man i CANNOT find mi tienda beans and poo poo at austin hebs. it's mi tienda tamales and then immediately transitions into hill country fare beans and potato salad which i'm told are vastly inferior

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

i say swears online posted:

man i CANNOT find mi tienda beans and poo poo at austin hebs. it's mi tienda tamales and then immediately transitions into hill country fare beans and potato salad which i'm told are vastly inferior

At least for the two HEBs by me, the Mi Tienda refried beans and Spanish rice are in the meat section near the premarinated fajita/taco meat.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm hoping the new one takes the pressure off the Plano location. It's not my favorite grocery store but it's the most convenient place to get a few things I like (enchilada soup is comfort food). It's just been way too drat crowded every time I've been.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Shooting Blanks posted:

At least for the two HEBs by me, the Mi Tienda refried beans and Spanish rice are in the meat section near the premarinated fajita/taco meat.

The South Congress and Slaughter HEB has them like that too, but I wonder if Swears is talking about some other moonbeam Mi Tienda stuff.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can never find the mi tienda pastrami

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

NGL I couldn't make it through the whole thing so for all I know it turns into the prince of bel air theme

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

hawowanlawow posted:

NGL I couldn't make it through the whole thing so for all I know it turns into the prince of bel air theme

Nope, goes harder into what I think are white supremacist groups

Time to start spreading liberal ideas ya'll

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

loving #PragerU :jerkbag:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
protect the rights of ALL

*votes away everyone else's rights*

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
It's talked about here, but in general really underemphasized that these coastal conservatives keep showing up here and trying to force their politics on born-and-raised Texans. (Ok I'm born Okie, but close enough!) They're the outsiders.

I had a rental car with North Dakota plates this past month - curious what kind of welcome letter I'd have gotten, haha.

Also, the end is kind of interesting because "it wasn't well implemented" for a lot of policies is usually due to conservative groups throwing on so many administrative burdens until good ideas become worthless, on purpose.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I know some of y'all are in Houston. If you have kids and/or just like fishing there's a place out on Jones called Ebi Ebi Shrimp Fishing that is an indoor 10 foot pool where you can chill and do fishing for shrimp, crawfish, and crabs. It's has AC, a grill that you can cook what you catch, bringing your own side veggies to grill is encouraged and it's BYOB. They charge by the poll by the hour.

It was a great way to kill some time out of the house with the kid while also avoiding the heat outside and engage them in something for as long as their attention hold. You can also bring your own shrimp fishing gear if you really want.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

This is an awesome suggestion - you rule.