Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sullat posted:

Sure, it's nice to get away from the job for a while, but it's also nice to get away from the family and deal with adult problems and people who don't break down and start screaming because the other kid looked at one of his toys funny.

When did you quit being a laywer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nm posted:

When did you quit being a laywer?

Never started :)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

He hasn’t responded back to my email asking about his scores.

DID YOU MAKE SURE TO ASK IF HE WSA A JEW

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think part of being in a small practice (10 attorneys) is that work load ebbs and flows, like some months I'll be gangbusters actually working 8-10 hours a day, and trial months are more like 12-16, and some months I've got shitall to do and kinda come and go as I please.

Which suits me very well - I've always been able to switch between grinding my rear end off, and totally loving off but too much of one or the other makes me nuts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

DID YOU MAKE SURE TO ASK IF HE WSA A JEW

I think he failed and is just drowning his sorrows in whatever is his vice of choice. I’m not hitting him up for a job. Just bullshitting with the guy.

I’m still blown away by all of the older people taking the test and just how much they are all hating life.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think he failed and is just drowning his sorrows in whatever is his vice of choice. I’m not hitting him up for a job. Just bullshitting with the guy.

I’m still blown away by all of the older people taking the test and just how much they are all hating life.

In Texas they post the names of everyone who passed.

[Ctrl +F]
"Hey, alright Alice!"

[Ctrl +F]
"Oh Brett... oh noooo."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blarzgh posted:

In Louisiana they post the names of everyone who passed...and also the fake names of everyone who failed. "James Bond" fails a lot.

Fake edit: looks like now they just report failures by numbers, which is lame.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
There is nothing more depressing than setting aside your bar card/number the night before results post so you can have it ready to check, just in case your name isn't listed.

Iowa's Feb. rates came out today and they are . . . not good. 57% pass rate, 37 passes out of 65 takers. Yeesh. At least the guy who failed the July 2017 bar on his 9th time taking didn't make another attempt.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
California’s November pass rates aren’t that high.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Florida lists your bar application file number and four columns after and that’s it.

FL was at 57.9% passing for this exam.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Meatbag Esq. posted:

California’s November pass rates aren’t that high.

Is there a number for California passage that doesn't include the schools that are only accredited in California? I'd be interested to know what the passage rate is for people who went to ABA accredited schools.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Is there a number for California passage that doesn't include the schools that are only accredited in California? I'd be interested to know what the passage rate is for people who went to ABA accredited schools.

Florida breaks it down by each florida school and then lists non florida and already admitted elsewhere. The pass/fail stats are only for first time takers taking both parts, though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pook Good Mook posted:

Yes, there is.

Main page: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Law-School-Regulation/Exam-Statistics

July 2017: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/documents/admissions/Statistics/JUL2017STATS.122617.pdf

They break it down including CA ABA and Out-of-State ABA (recombine if you want all ABA).

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

All of this is correct in Canada. A massive perk of getting hired for the provincial or federal government is that you're in an internal hire pool that gets first (or exclusive) dibs at future work. Is this a municipality that had some potential for upward growth (like Toronto) or a small town with two lawyers handling everything for the city? Is there even a potential for hireback at either of these places? Do you know anyone that you could talk to about the work environment? If there's any litigation involved, have you taken a look at canlii to see if any names pop up?

The municipality is pretty big, a region of about 650k population that includes a bunch of smaller cities and close to toronto, seems to be growing pretty fast. About 8 lawyers on staff plus some prosecutors. I'd also be in a hireback pool with the municipality

The firm is 3 partners and 1 associate, more like a very small general corporate office in toronto, founded by the 3 ex-biglaw guys in 2016. They were originally looking for another junior associate but would be interested in taking an attacking student instead, which suggests hireback potential there

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ulmont posted:

In Louisiana they post the names of everyone who passed...and also the fake names of everyone who failed. "James Bond" fails a lot.

Fake edit: looks like now they just report failures by numbers, which is lame.

Every year Atticus Finch fails. You would think someone would tell him Civil law just isn't for him.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

blarzgh posted:

[Ctrl +F]
"Hey, alright Alice!"

[Ctrl +F]
"Oh Brett... oh noooo."

Was aggressively rooting for people I went to school with in CA to have failed the CA bar. Unfortunately, almost all of them passed. Everyone I knew who took the Tx bar passed. Including me and the girl whose computer crashed mid-way through the essays and never restarted.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You loving idiots now you have to be lawyers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You loving idiots now you have to be lawyers.

No they don't, I graduated, passed the bar exam, and yet never became a lawyer. Now I work in a call center!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

sullat posted:

No they don't, I graduated, passed the bar exam, and yet never became a lawyer. Now I work in a call center!
A law degree opens so many doors.
https://twitter.com/MorriganEris/status/985305349841235968

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Arcturas posted:

Hey SlyFrog, glad to see you post again. I was thinking about you the other week. How have things been the last few months? Any better?

You are very kind to think of me. I’m not where I can get to a keyboard right now, but will try to update (assuming a periodical “the shambles of my life” update is okay) when I get to a real computer.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

This is the page where we remind everyone that if you go to law school you don't have to double down on a law career

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I do more reprehensible things at my job than she does at hers.

sex work isn't reprehensible

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sullat posted:

Out of curiosity, why work in a call center instead of doc review?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hoshi posted:

This is the page where we remind everyone that if you go to law school you don't have to double down on a law career

This feels great.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Gobbeldygook posted:

A law degree opens so many doors.

More like opens so many holes am i rite? :rimshot:

Is anyone else really paranoid of lawyers who have business longer than you've been alive, but from their pleadings seem incompetent? Like maybe they stay in business by "zealously advocating" for their clients by digging the unmarked graves of their opponents?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Out of curiosity, why work in a call center instead of doc review?

PSLF. Benefits. 40 hours, no more no less. I read your posts on doc review and that sounded like a real horror show.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sullat posted:

PSLF. Benefits. 40 hours, no more no less. I read your posts on doc review and that sounded like a real horror show.

How do you get pslf at call center?

I actually worked a ton the last two months on a super mis managed project that resulted in a bunch of time and a half hours , which was very unusual. Kind of made up for the aggravation there. Tonight will be interesting because my "benefits" of ppaca might totally blow up in my face and I'm not really sure how to even input "offered health care" from various companies that lay you off entirely at random.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

I actually worked a ton the last two months on a super mis managed project that resulted in a bunch of time and a half hours , which was very unusual. Kind of made up for the aggravation there. Tonight will be interesting because my "benefits" of ppaca might totally blow up in my face and I'm not really sure how to even input "offered health care" from various companies that lay you off entirely at random.

My state runs a few state employed call centers such as for unemployment.
I would assume they're the best call center jobs ever.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Government call center counts for PSLF!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Reading these Stormy pleadings, both sides seem to have intros where they summarize their arguments by saying First, blah blah blah. Second, blah blah blah. Third, so on et cetera.

Is that a California thing?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Reading these Stormy pleadings

On a related note, if you all aren't following https://twitter.com/big_cases you should start now - it scrapes PACER for any new filings in a host of nifty cases and automatically uploads them publicly.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Reading these Stormy pleadings, both sides seem to have intros where they summarize their arguments by saying First, blah blah blah. Second, blah blah blah. Third, so on et cetera.

Is that a California thing?

How do you address multiple claims or arguments in your intro?

I think it’s a stylistic thing. Some people write long intros, some write really short

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

How do you address multiple claims or arguments in your intro?

I think it’s a stylistic thing. Some people write long intros, some write really short

It’s more that they all seem to use that italic “first...second...third...” style.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Unamuno posted:

More like opens so many holes am i rite? :rimshot:

Is anyone else really paranoid of lawyers who have business longer than you've been alive, but from their pleadings seem incompetent? Like maybe they stay in business by "zealously advocating" for their clients by digging the unmarked graves of their opponents?

They're generally pretty good trial lawyers who skimp on things like pleadings and discovery because they've discovered over the years that riling up a jury is way more effective than paying attention to [[[[the law]]]] and get away with the minor stuff often enough to justify it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
first, nothing wrong with me
second, nothing wrong with me
third, nothing wrong with me
fourth, nothing wrong with me

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Lol I went back to the courtroom where I was in the venire pool and they were settling before closing. Plaintiff counsel hugged me and gave me his card.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Lol I went back to the courtroom where I was in the venire pool and they were settling before closing. Plaintiff counsel hugged me and gave me his card.

You’re like Jon Cusack in Runaway Jury

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

Struck for cause or peremptory?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Struck for cause or peremptory?

The defense attorney didn't strike him at all and ate poo poo for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It’s more that they all seem to use that italic “first...second...third...” style.

Oh I missed that it was italics