Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Stone's "Jones is Old" section is 21 pages long, including chapter title and Annie reaction shot

We're 30 pages into this chapter and we're still waiting for the "Haha guys just kidding the entire Two Annies saga was NOT just a big build up to a Very Special Episode about why you should Always Forgive Family" reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure Tony gave Reynardine back to Annie because he's literally incapable of arguing with her.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Splicer posted:

We're 30 pages into this chapter and we're still waiting for the "Haha guys just kidding the entire Two Annies saga was NOT just a big build-up to a Very Special Episode about why you should Always Forgive Family" reveal.

Eh, If there really is some twist about the combo Annie left to reveal, it will almost certainly happen at the very end of this chapter, serving as a stinger for the next one. This is absolutely a Tony chapter.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I don't know if this is playing into how frustrating this last stretch of story is, but ever since Annie spent that summer in the forest the comic has felt off. Is that when she stopped doing the purple narration boxes herself?

Because ever since she came back from the forest I've felt disconnected from her, I really miss her stating her thoughts and feelings as events unfolded, like we saw earlier in the comic.

It's like we're reading a third person book that used to be in first person and it feels weird.

edit: Also the narrative itself seemed more sympathetic to Annie's feelings of abandonment and loss when it was following her in first person, than it does now.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 19, 2021

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I should say, that if the Tony Content had mostly been 'Tony shows up again, causes Annie to dissociate so hard the art becomes crayons, Annie uses magic to cut her fire off and has to learn to embrace that side of herself and understand her own anger, we see Tony for the wreck he is in the conversation with Donlan' I would have considered it pretty solid. That chapter nailed it: Tony is bad at being a dad, because he's a wreck, in part because occult forces and also his bosses jerked him around. He cannot actually take care of Annie or ensure her emotional wellbeing, at all, but the Court is pushing them together in a way that hurts both of them.

It did a very good job of explaining without excusing, at least in my opinion, and set the stage for Annie to accept that while she cares deeply for him, he cannot be a good father to her right now, maybe ever.

Instead we've had this, and the whole split Annies situation apparently leading into it, and it feels like the same ideas are being restated but in a way designed to make us even more sympathetic to Tony, because the audience didn't appreciate him enough (to the point that all of Annie's friends get turned into audience proxies to express how they don't like Tony.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Joe Slowboat posted:

I should say, that if the Tony Content had mostly been 'Tony shows up again, causes Annie to dissociate so hard the art becomes crayons, Annie uses magic to cut her fire off and has to learn to embrace that side of herself and understand her own anger, we see Tony for the wreck he is in the conversation with Donlan' I would have considered it pretty solid. That chapter nailed it: Tony is bad at being a dad, because he's a wreck, in part because occult forces and also his bosses jerked him around. He cannot actually take care of Annie or ensure her emotional wellbeing, at all, but the Court is pushing them together in a way that hurts both of them.

It did a very good job of explaining without excusing, at least in my opinion, and set the stage for Annie to accept that while she cares deeply for him, he cannot be a good father to her right now, maybe ever.

Instead we've had this, and the whole split Annies situation apparently leading into it, and it feels like the same ideas are being restated but in a way designed to make us even more sympathetic to Tony, because the audience didn't appreciate him enough (to the point that all of Annie's friends get turned into audience proxies to express how they don't like Tony.)
I typed a lot of words earlier and deleted them that basically boiled down to this, so thanks for saying what I was trying to say but better and shorter

I don't actually think Tom has rewritten a chunk of the comic because we're Not Getting Tony Right, but dang, he's doing a real good impression of someone who would

Again, if this turns out to be all a zimmy dream then yeah whatever fine victim of the webcomic format etc.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 20, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
I kind of like the irony of the fact that this could have been addressed before, but it never occurred to anyone before this point to talk to Tony about it.

Can you blame him for not being able to talk to his daughter when no one thought to talk to him about the situation? Er.. yes. But it's still ironic.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hodgepodge posted:

I kind of like the irony of the fact that this could have been addressed before, but it never occurred to anyone before this point to talk to Tony about it.

Can you blame him for not being able to talk to his daughter when no one thought to talk to him about the situation? Er.. yes. But it's still ironic.

Donny talked to him, and then told Jones to talk to him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Donny talked to him, and then told Jones to talk to him.

Yeah, Donny has probably been the most proactive in addressing this, and deserves credit for it.

If we had our druthers, Tony asking the Donlans to adopt Annie would have been the best course of actions in his circumstances. My only reservation is that they might not have let her go to the Forest, which a necessity which is highly specific to Annie and not exactly something I'd expect them to understand in that position.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 20, 2021

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anyway, I trust Tom, and expect that this is all going somewhere in the next couple of years.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Bongo Bill posted:

Anyway, I trust Tom, and expect that this is all going somewhere in the next couple of years.

I wish I had the talent to redraw this arc as a shonen where all this happens in the moment before Annie unleashes her new flame beam on Loup.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

After thinking about this issue for a bit, I think the problem is that we're seeing this entirely in terms of how Antimony and Tony feel about the situation, and how they feel about it is only partially relevant to the question of whether Tony should be allowed to serve as Antimony's guardian.

It would actually be funny and fit into the Gunnerkrigg style of humor if the final panel of the chapter is just Jones saying "well, thank you for your candor, and now that I've carefully listened to everyone's thoughts, I want you to know that I am going to recommend that Annie be made a ward of the Court and prevented from meeting with her father ever, ever again."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
To entertain those who are Sick of Tony a bit, here's a somewhat wild theory about Kat and the timelines:

Remember that Zimmy mentioned that she knew other people who were time shifted? How about, well, her and Gamma? And who do we know who might be time shifted? Well, there's one person: the Kat whose Annie died.

The Norns mentioned that it was simply not acceptable for Kat to grow up without Annie. Let's think of the consequences: Annie's death traumatized Kat. Without Annie, Ysengrin continues to hate humans. The Court still has plans, probably hindered by the lack of Annie, Zimmy, and Gamma and whatever role they play in their scemes. Kat also may or may not become involved with the robots. Whatever plans they have are easily co-opted by Kat in her ascent to godhood, but possibly traumatize her further in the process in any number of ways. This traumatized version of Kat-the-Goddess is put into conflict with the Forest and Ysengrin. This likely leads to Coyote simply rebooting the timeline at any rate, so an alternative needs to be developed.

Before that point, Anya puts Kat in contact with the Norns anyhow. They reboot the timeline, but allow that version of Kat to remain (with her age adjusted) as the alternative is basically that Kat committing suicide. Gamma is likely her version of Paz, who was a slightly different person as well in her timeline (notably in nationality). Her relationship with Gamma is co-dependent due to the unhealed trauma of losing Annie being projected onto her.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Rand Brittain posted:

After thinking about this issue for a bit, I think the problem is that we're seeing this entirely in terms of how Antimony and Tony feel about the situation, and how they feel about it is only partially relevant to the question of whether Tony should be allowed to serve as Antimony's guardian.

It would actually be funny and fit into the Gunnerkrigg style of humor if the final panel of the chapter is just Jones saying "well, thank you for your candor, and now that I've carefully listened to everyone's thoughts, I want you to know that I am going to recommend that Annie be made a ward of the Court and prevented from meeting with her father ever, ever again."

That's actually extremely unfunny to anyone who has ever had to interact with a social worker. Luckily it would be a human rights violation.

e: I do expect Jones to do something along the lines of a) recommend Annie move back into the dorms in the schoolyear, b) explain that her father will be undergoing grief counseling as this may be an underlying factor impacting his ability to be a proper parent for Annie. Also while Annie may not care what other people think of her dad, it has alienated him from everyone around him. Only Donny hangs on as his friend, out of pity. God himself literally told Tony he's worthless and is only worthy of life because Annie cares about him:

So even for Tony's own sake, he needs help.

e2: lol coyote literally says he smells like loser

e3: like ffs, Reynard hangs out with Eglamore, the guy whose cool Wojack companion he killed. I suspect Tony and Eglamore can never get alone because Jones is always there, but he and Reynard could bond... except Reynard quite rightly won't have anything to do with him until he's able to be a father for Annie. But Reynard's like the one guy who understands how he feels about Surma. The comic, I think, goes out of it's way to justify Annie's loving him because he's such a sad sack.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 20, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

That's actually extremely unfunny to anyone who has ever had to interact with a social worker. Luckily it would be a human rights violation.

The Court would pretty obviously do a human rights violation if they felt like it, although they wouldn't send Jones to do the deed.

Actually, it continues to be weird that "the Court" is basically nobody. Everybody in the comic works for "the Court", and they're also all actively disloyal to it in one way or another, except possibly the Headmaster, who may or may not actually be important, and who we haven't seen in forever. There are no characters who actually stand for "the Court" as a faction, even though its probably the main antagonist.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
There's the Shadow Men. I guess it's an apt name :shrug:

The disloyal bit applies to the only Shadow Men we know of, bit then again we only formally know of them through these friendly rogue members.

e: friendly and adorable i might add

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Hodgepodge posted:

My only reservation is that they might not have let her go to the Forest, which a necessity which is highly specific to Annie and not exactly something I'd expect them to understand in that position.

Hodgepodge posted:

Only Donny hangs on as his friend, out of pity.

I've told people they need to actually read the comic before commenting on it but these two takes are actually so wrong they are painful. These can't be real posts by a real poster because they are so hideously deranged.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

life_source posted:

I've told people they need to actually read the comic before commenting on it but these two takes are actually so wrong they are painful. These can't be real posts by a real poster because they are so hideously deranged.

The Donlans understand her relationship with the Forest, but they also won't let Kat near it. As Annie's wards, they'd be out in a more difficult position where I'd have a hard time saying they'd be wrong to apply the same rule to both of their children if they chose that unless Annie started noticeably suffering as a result. Unwarranted speculation option: Court Annie is from this timeline.

Tony gets along with other people at work. Apart from Donny and Annie, he mostly would hang out alone watching the sunset. Maybe I'm projecting Donny's attitude when he's dealing specifically with his relationship with Annie onto their other interactions, though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lt. Lizard posted:

Eh, If there really is some twist about the combo Annie left to reveal, it will almost certainly happen at the very end of this chapter, serving as a stinger for the next one. This is absolutely a Tony chapter.

Tony will be standing in the door as Annie turns around, and having heard all of this from her the mind cage is opened and he's fixed forever

~fin~

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Joe Slowboat posted:

Strangely enough this is actually why I'm warmer on Tony and to an extent the current storyline than many folks here. We all know what is the ideal and morally correct decision for Tony (at the very least send that fucker through some much-needed therapy), but the Court is at its best utterly amoral and they couldn't give two shits the actual well-being of Tony and Annie. What's the use of all this discussion on how Tony and Annie should best handle their tumultous relationship and Tony's abuse when the overarching system won't help remove the aspects of the environment that feed into Tony's worse impulses or at best straight up ignores them?

Of course, there's still the Doylist argument on why Tom would still choose to focus on this when it's been controversial with the fans at the very least, which is fair.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Bilirubin posted:

Tony will be standing in the door as Annie turns around, and having heard all of this from her the mind cage is opened and he's fixed forever

~fin~

I'm afraid I've run the numbers and we have a 0% chance of avoiding a scene where Tony and Annie bond over their shared grief over the loss of Surma.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm afraid I've run the numbers and we have a 0% chance of avoiding a scene where Tony and Annie bond over their shared grief over the loss of Surma.

It's actually 100%, because it's going to happen after that little symbol that marks the end of a chapter, and then the next one will start with Tony and Annie happily fixing breakfast.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

isasphere posted:

I don't know if this is playing into how frustrating this last stretch of story is, but ever since Annie spent that summer in the forest the comic has felt off. Is that when she stopped doing the purple narration boxes herself?

I believe the last time that happened was during the events of Microsat 5.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hodgepodge posted:

Unwarranted speculation option: Court Annie is from this timeline.
If either Annie was from a timeline that diverged from before they went to Loup she wouldn't have matching memories from before then.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bilirubin posted:

~fin~
If this end with Jones acting as an intermediary to allow them to actually have a conversation then a) that's fine b) a hell of a lot of everything else that led to it was (narratively) pointless

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

isasphere posted:

Because ever since she came back from the forest I've felt disconnected from her, I really miss her stating her thoughts and feelings as events unfolded, like we saw earlier in the comic.

It's like we're reading a third person book that used to be in first person and it feels weird.

edit: Also the narrative itself seemed more sympathetic to Annie's feelings of abandonment and loss when it was following her in first person, than it does now.

I think she did her own narration in chapter 67, though it wasn't in purple boxes and wasn't the entire chapter.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Oh, right, I was thinking of the Microsat chapter. And I completely forgot about the narration in the evacuation section. I really miss following Annie's thoughts directly.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
i think the increased art quality and visual illustrations of important monologues may be meant to compensate, but it's not as direct and far more ambiguous

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Yeah I sure do miss Annie monologuing for us :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sounds like a very responsible and mature teen so far.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
jones is the only person with the patience for this kind of monologue :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

isasphere posted:

Sounds like you’re fondly reminiscing over a time where Annie was still the protagonist of this comic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
And when he's not around I'll be thinking hey, where's Tony?

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Next week Jones says to Annie "sorry my mind wandered, i wasn't listening, can you repeat what you said please?"

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
At this point I feel like Annie has said the same thing four pages in a row. It's weird. If the payoff of this is that she's only trying to convince herself by saying the same thing several different ways then I might forgive this but it's weird because it's been a week of the same point over and over. We get it. Annie loves her father despite him being a very flawed person. Where is this going?!

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Nowhere. Like this monologue doesn't even make much sense in the story because the people Annie hangs out with actually like tony? Like 'hey you're dad's a cool guy when he's not around you!" was a literal plot point after he was introduced. This is reeeallly feeling a lot like an author insert pleading to the audience to like him

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rahul posted:

Nowhere. Like this monologue doesn't even make much sense in the story because the people Annie hangs out with actually like tony? Like 'hey you're dad's a cool guy when he's not around you!" was a literal plot point after he was introduced. This is reeeallly feeling a lot like an author insert pleading to the audience to like him

I don't know about that, the chapter opened with everyone in her life besides Kat poo poo talking him even when they weren't asked about him.

I'm getting the feeling from this page that despite her confidence Annie still doesn't understand her father as well as she thinks she does. She says she'll stand with him even if he doesn't know she's there. But for all the problems in his relationship with her, him not noticing her is not among them. His neglect doesn't come from any sort of blind spot about her existence.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nova69 posted:

Next week Jones says to Annie "sorry my mind wandered, i wasn't listening, can you repeat what you said please?"

She's the Wandering Eye, not Wandering Mind.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

yeah true, i kind of forgot about parley and smitty. I kind of discounted the class because it's been awhile since she's had much time with them, what with first being held back a year and then the loup saga happening. Plus, their opinions seemed to mostly be based on second-hand gossip from Paz. And eglamore already had reasons to dislike tony that had nothing to do with Annie. But yeah fair enough. I still feel like this feels far more directed at the audience than anywhere else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nova69 posted:

The end of the chapter reveals Jones walked away while Annie was talking.