Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
That looks cool and the modern paintjob works to compliment it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That looks cool and the modern paintjob works to compliment it.

The buggy is fine. The orks are grot size. I think... it's the oldest plastic still sold in the range.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
They're weedy Orks which is why they ride a buggy. It's fine.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The main issues with the Buggy kit:

1. The crew don't look anything like modern Orks. They look more like fat cosplayers wearing bad Ork masks.
2. The buggy doesn't quite fit the current aesthetic of mismatched armour plates riveted together haphazardly, it looks too well manufactured.
3. Lack of weapon options. The kit only has a multimelta in it for fucks sake, that hasn't been a valid option since 3rd ed!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Buggy could really use an update, as could the basic Boy kit. One model that really bugs me is the most recent Painboy, something about the elongated jaw it has makes it look like one of Mantic's not-Orks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'd rather see new models before replacement. Complaining about the buggy needing a replacement is greedy when there are holes in other ranges. It's only fair that the marines get their super heavy.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I know you're just trolling, but you do realise than making the THawk plastic is just a replacement model anyway?

Besides, Marines already have their Superheavy, it's called the Knight.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Resin to plastic isn't a replacement because FW isn't real GW. You can't pick it off the shelf in a GW store.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SteelMentor posted:

Buggy could really use an update, as could the basic Boy kit. One model that really bugs me is the most recent Painboy, something about the elongated jaw it has makes it look like one of Mantic's not-Orks.

The basic boy kit is great. Another dual use kit like the lootas for but for kommandos and tank bustas would be good.

I used the older pain boy model because that feature on the new painboy bothered me also.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Resin to plastic isn't a replacement because FW isn't real GW. You can't pick it off the shelf in a GW store.

Like all this stuff? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-G...catnewexclusive

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
FWIW Hastings has already said new Ork buggies are on the way, so really it's only Eldar players who should be crying* about their 90's aspect warriors.

*into their piles of scatterbikes and woefully undercosted wraithknights

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

xtothez posted:

FWIW Hastings has already said new Ork buggies are on the way, so really it's only Eldar players who should be crying* about their 90's aspect warriors.

*into their piles of scatterbikes and woefully undercosted wraithknights

Got a link? Wonder what else is going to come out with that release.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Huh. So there's actually going to be a plastic Thunderhawk. Welp, Guess I'll eventually do a Chaos one as a centerpiece for my Black Legion then.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

LingcodKilla posted:

Got a link? Wonder what else is going to come out with that release.

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/warofsigmar/war_of_sigmar_rumors_and_rules_for_age_of_sigmar_6694/#comment-3194614793

He mentioned new Death Guard around the same time (well before this week's reveal), and has been pretty accurate with rumours for years.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Can't a Thunderhawk transport a Knight?

Deepstriking Knights are coming to gently caress up your day.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Glad I bought a Thunderhawk for my 30k marines before the Roboutified Thunderhawk Bloodfire Deathkill Pattern comes out in plastic.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 26, 2017

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've never played Warhammer 40k, but every so often I feel like it is something I really should look into. What is the most absolutely hilarious/fun to play against Ork composition out there? I want maximum Orkiness possible, with lots of dakka and tremendous opportunities for my boyz to get run over by their own trukks or explode one another due to terrible rolls!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Next you'll be saying you don't want to buy the Wolfclaw-class Wolfhawk with Growler missile & Blizzard cannon upgrade sprue.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I've never played Warhammer 40k, but every so often I feel like it is something I really should look into. What is the most absolutely hilarious/fun to play against Ork composition out there? I want maximum Orkiness possible, with lots of dakka and tremendous opportunities for my boyz to get run over by their own trukks or explode one another due to terrible rolls!

Who wants to tell him

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ignite Memories posted:

Who wants to tell him

I can't do that to a child.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Yeast posted:

I can't do that to a child.

:saddowns:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

There's actually a new 40k based skirmish game called Somethingorother: Armageddon coming up in the next few weeks that pits squads of around 10 men vs each other. It will come with Marine Scouts and some Ork Boyz, and plastic scenery. That might be a good starting point.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

:negative:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What happened to the Ork rules I only play Ultramarines versus Ultramarines?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The Orks and Tyranids should just merge together by eating each other and becoming the ultimate swarm

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sadly, this would result in biovores. Lose-lose.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Playing with so many models each of your turns take 45 minutes.
Big mek can still have fun accidently teleporting across the battlefield with shokk attack guns.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

LingcodKilla posted:

Playing with so many models each of your turns take 45 minutes.
Big mek can still have fun accidently teleporting across the battlefield with shokk attack guns.

I may have to just dream of Orks and read bad 40k genre fiction then, since playing a game where my boyz having 45 minutes turns just doesn't sound that fun to me... which is sad, since I love reading this thread and the after action reports.

Oh well, thanks anyways!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The best way to play Orks would be to use the World Eaters rules from Horus Heresy.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
People are exaggerating. Orks are a lower tier army at the moment, but that's primarily through the lens of the competitive tournament mindset. In casual games you'll be fine, grab a box or two and slam some hams.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I play Orks occasionally. I like the army but all complaining people have about them is valid. If you're playing friendly games, they're a lot of fun most of the time. Great painting/modeling opportunities are there, and the range is mostly great, with a few gaps that you can fill with good conversions.

On the way back from Adepticon. Was in two events plus one pickup game with Ghosthand. First was the Gentleman's 40k tournament, which was a blast. It came with a skull shot glass, a nip of booze, and a custom deck of objective cards. The cards were a mix of regular cards and ones that encouraged good sportsmanship, like complimenting your opponent's paintjob, pointing out things that would give them an advantage, and "forging the narrative" by playing thematically. Each game was 1000 points in 2 hours and 15 minutes, with an hour between rounds. Everyone was super cool, a few people were already drunk, and the pace was super laid back. I got a game wirh Sex Cannon where he beat me again, I won one against a drunk but friendly dude, and I don't remember the third game, a lot of drinking happened.

I played the 30k Friendly next. The first round was against a similarly unuptimized Alpha Legion army, and I tabled him on turn 6. He was a good dude with a solid looking army. Next up was a guy with a great Emperor's Children army full if characterful conversions and a really cool pastel scheme. I punked Eidolon with a power fist sergeant and almost killed his Falchion, but he won in a narrow victory. Great opponent, even if his list was harder than mine. Round 3 was against a goegeous SoH army run by a passive aggressive rear end in a top hat who brought a really brutal list that tabled me on turn 3. His advice to me was to play a completely different list, and he gave me his army list so I could learn from it. gently caress that guy. I hate that he won best painted.

Yesterday I played a pick up game with Ghosthand and it was a load of fun. Washed the taste of that lovely game out, and it was a great time. We fought for an Adepticon challenge coin, and we'll throw down again for it next chance we get.

I think I caught a cold or something, but had a great time playing games and hanging out with Uroboros, Sex Cannon, and the ICs. Definitely going next year.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

People are exaggerating. Orks are a lower tier army at the moment, but that's primarily through the lens of the competitive tournament mindset. In casual games you'll be fine, grab a box or two and slam some hams.

This is so unbelievably wrong. Orks will get tabled into next week by casual lists from most other armies.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

SRM posted:

I play Orks occasionally. I like the army but all complaining people have about them is valid. If you're playing friendly games, they're a lot of fun most of the time. Great painting/modeling opportunities are there, and the range is mostly great, with a few gaps that you can fill with good conversions.

On the way back from Adepticon. Was in two events plus one pickup game with Ghosthand. First was the Gentleman's 40k tournament, which was a blast. It came with a skull shot glass, a nip of booze, and a custom deck of objective cards. The cards were a mix of regular cards and ones that encouraged good sportsmanship, like complimenting your opponent's paintjob, pointing out things that would give them an advantage, and "forging the narrative" by playing thematically. Each game was 1000 points in 2 hours and 15 minutes, with an hour between rounds. Everyone was super cool, a few people were already drunk, and the pace was super laid back. I got a game wirh Sex Cannon where he beat me again, I won one against a drunk but friendly dude, and I don't remember the third game, a lot of drinking happened.

I played the 30k Friendly next. The first round was against a similarly unuptimized Alpha Legion army, and I tabled him on turn 6. He was a good dude with a solid looking army. Next up was a guy with a great Emperor's Children army full if characterful conversions and a really cool pastel scheme. I punked Eidolon with a power fist sergeant and almost killed his Falchion, but he won in a narrow victory. Great opponent, even if his list was harder than mine. Round 3 was against a goegeous SoH army run by a passive aggressive rear end in a top hat who brought a really brutal list that tabled me on turn 3. His advice to me was to play a completely different list, and he gave me his army list so I could learn from it. gently caress that guy. I hate that he won best painted.

Yesterday I played a pick up game with Ghosthand and it was a load of fun. Washed the taste of that lovely game out, and it was a great time. We fought for an Adepticon challenge coin, and we'll throw down again for it next chance we get.

I think I caught a cold or something, but had a great time playing games and hanging out with Uroboros, Sex Cannon, and the ICs. Definitely going next year.

Man, all this Adepticon talk's got me wanting to make the trip over for next year's. Provided I'm not eating my minis for nourishment post Brexit ofc :shepicide:

Besides that one dick, how was the general atmosphere around the event? I heard that it's a super-competitive kind of scene, but everything sounds so chill.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rip in peace orks, you'll always have that awesome pirate captain warboss from dow2 retribution

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

Man, all this Adepticon talk's got me wanting to make the trip over for next year's. Provided I'm not eating my minis for nourishment post Brexit ofc :shepicide:

Besides that one dick, how was the general atmosphere around the event? I heard that it's a super-competitive kind of scene, but everything sounds so chill.

I'm kind of tempted to do the LVO because I like Vegas. Maybe Adepticon is a better spend.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SteelMentor posted:

Less chill than NOVA, a lot more chill than LVO by all accounts. 6/7 dudes I played were cool, everyone I hung out with was cool, one dude playing the 30k friendly passed out in his own vomit and had to be stretchered out at 3pm on Friday.

Uroboros can tell you how the actual tournament action was, but I was happy to avoid that poo poo. I imagine the Warhammer TV guys playing in the tournaments had an awful time though, they took an 'Eavy Metal army that was super fluffy and had beautiful printed out army list booklets against a bunch of drunk bros who don't care about fluff. Gentleman's 40k was great, Friendly 30k was mostly good, 30k Narrative looked amazing. I prefer gaming at NOVA but it was a good time.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

I think I try to cheer on all the badly supported and not just Orks.

Just a reminder these are still being sold though.

This is fluffy! Orks have old and cobbled together vehicles.

orks aren't supposed to be super competitive. Have a conversation with your opponent and forge your narrative...It's even in the rulebook.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Warhammer 40k: Passed out in his own vomit by 3pm

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Yeah, that's a little errr :stare:.

Sounds like a laugh all in all though, I've rather missed getting hammered and slamming some hams around poo poo billion other neckbeards, might need to properly look into going next time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I still think it's hilarious that GW sent some dudes to get slaughtered in a 40k tournament. I hope it was a learning experience. :v:

• Locked thread